• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Striking Question

PK Thor

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThunderThor77
3DS FC
3952-7499-7247
I understand that it's a 1-2-1 process for Smash 4 but I was wondering if the stages that were striked from the first game reset for the second and/or third game.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Yeah, in most rulesets it works like this depending on the amount of stages:

Let's say we're on the 3DS version and we have 5 stages, with FLSS.
Game 1: 1:2:1 and go to the remaining. Higher seed strikes first and last.
Games 2&3: Strikes are lifted (reset) and the Winner of the previous game strikes 1-2 (depending on ruleset) stages. The Loser of the previous game selects a stage of the remaining 3.

Generally, 5 and 9 are the most balanced amount of starters as the person who strikes first or second does not gain an advantage. With 5 and 9 the player who strikes first also strikes last.

PK Thor

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThunderThor77
3DS FC
3952-7499-7247
Thanks, I was playing with someone at tournament yesterday who claimed they don't reset but I didn't think that would make sense for sets that can be up to 5 games long.

T0MMY

Smash Master
From someone who has played in Smash tournaments for years I can say that the stage striking system isn't flawless. Those of us who have competed for a very long time usually just agree to a stage when there's too many stages to strike from. When it comes down to pure competition where neither side wants to get janked by stages and want a good match it's usually going to be FD/BF/SV type stages and we're mostly cool with any of those even for a 5 round set (Dave's Stupid Rule is actually really stupid for competition).

PK Thor

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThunderThor77
3DS FC
3952-7499-7247
We at my locals tend to do the same thing but usually ban a stage or two after every game.

Charey

Smash Apprentice
From someone who has played in Smash tournaments for years I can say that the stage striking system isn't flawless. Those of us who have competed for a very long time usually just agree to a stage when there's too many stages to strike from. When it comes down to pure competition where neither side wants to get janked by stages and want a good match it's usually going to be FD/BF/SV type stages and we're mostly cool with any of those even for a 5 round set (Dave's Stupid Rule is actually really stupid for competition).
Stage striking is for when you don't agree on what stage to go to. If the two people playing the match want to go to the same stage then striking is a waste of time.

The gentlemen's rule overrides all other stage picking rules.

Top Bottom