• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Speculation and Discussion Thread

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Is it possible some stages just aren't ready yet, or is it too late in the developement cycle for stages to be worked on? Delfino would require a lot of work if they're remaking the entire stage and Brinstar depths has a unique mechanic that might be harder to do than other stages'.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
snake.PNG

They just mentioned this on Japan Time, but this stage we've all thot was Gaur Plain could be Saturn valley. The color palette matches up and the background doesn't line up with Gaur Plains.

VillagerX3

Smash Cadet
Places that I hope get made into stages:

- A Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door Stage, probably Glitzville:

Or the Glitz Pit.

Other TTYD areas are good stages too, like Boggly Woods or Rogueport. I don’t want the old Paper Mario stage mix back, because they represented TTYD with a simple boat.

- A Chibi-Robo stage (alongside Chibi-Robo for Ultimate)
I have 2 ideas for this:
1. A ChibiRobo Zip Lash stage
2. Or the NostalJunk Museum from ChibiRobo Photo Finder.

- Nintendo Badge Arcade (I don’t care is it is dead it would still love the stage).

- Buoy Base Galaxy (From Super Mario Galaxy)

- NintendoLand

- Fountain of Dreams to Return

I have more ideas for stages but I’m just showcasing these ones.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
View attachment 154113
They just mentioned this on Japan Time, but this stage we've all thot was Gaur Plain could be Saturn valley. The color palette matches up and the background doesn't line up with Gaur Plains.
I've talked of this before. It doesn't line up with Gaur directly as it appears in Sm4sh but the toothy stalactites/mites, the grass and the palette all still line up as far as I can tell.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Is it possible some stages just aren't ready yet, or is it too late in the developement cycle for stages to be worked on? Delfino would require a lot of work if they're remaking the entire stage and Brinstar depths has a unique mechanic that might be harder to do than other stages'.
I would believe that Delfino would just be ported over from Smash 4 with minimal work needed for it. Brinstar Depths, on the other hand, would probably have to be recreated as there have been two installments since Melee and the data might be tougher to carry over.

My guess is at this late in the game, nearly all of the content is added and the time between now and release is used for polishing the game.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I would believe that Delfino would just be ported over from Smash 4 with minimal work needed for it. Brinstar Depths, on the other hand, would probably have to be recreated as there have been two installments since Melee and the data might be tougher to carry over.

My guess is at this late in the game, nearly all of the content is added and the time between now and release is used for polishing the game.
I was under the impression all the stages would be remade aside for SSB4's. We know Melee's are and 4's have new textures, but are brawl's remade as well? Bridge of Eldin looks less flat and has grass poking out, and the background looks way more detailed. I would like to think they would make changes like this to Delfino as well.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I was under the impression all the stages would be remade aside for SSB4's. We know Melee's are and 4's have new textures, but are brawl's remade as well? Bridge of Eldin looks less flat and has grass poking out, and the background looks way more detailed. I would like to think they would make changes like this to Delfino as well.
Good find. I wasn't aware of those differences.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
maxresdefault.jpg
mk1.PNG

mk2.PNG

Mushroomy Kingdom looks a bit cleaner. Just by looking at it we got some better textures on the bricks, sharper clouds and better overall lighting. I can't help but feel that the more foggy and dusty appearance of Brawl worked better in places but what we have here is a definite improvement.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Mushroomy Kingdom looks a bit cleaner. Just by looking at it we got some better textures on the bricks, sharper clouds and better overall lighting. I can't help but feel that the more foggy and dusty appearance of Brawl worked better in places but what we have here is a definite improvement.
I hope other designs are coming with Mushroomy Kingdom. The graphics look so much cleaner and I want to see how 1-2 would look.
What if we also get 1-3 or 1-4 this game?

Last edited:

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice
Still believe the likes of DK, Kirby, and Metroid are all warranting of brand new stages at this point.

Pokemon too but that was gonna be obvious right from the get go.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Still believe the likes of DK, Kirby, and Metroid are all warranting of brand new stages at this point.

Pokemon too but that was gonna be obvious right from the get go.
I wouldn’t be shocked if at least DK doesn’t get a new stage. Kirby and Metroid definitely need to gain a new stage

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Gonna try and do a stage comparison here from Wii U to Ultimate for Delfino

2v3xVO2.jpg

90_1.jpg

The buildings in this stage look a lot better. They're more vibrant and appealing than the mudied buildings from the original Brawl stage. The lighting is also much brighter too, staying closer to Sunshine's roots. The one thing I'm iffy on is the mountain in the background. I'm pretty sure everything got retextured, but the poly count is the same, meaning the mountain still looks a bit jaggy. Nothing worse than what's on Wuhu Island, though. so it's hard to complain.

Anyways, I'm glad to see that every returning non Nintendo 64 stage is being redone to look appropriate for the hardware. It kinda makes up for the fact that we're most likely getting fewer new stages.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
Delfino Plaza looks so good on the Switch! I can't wait to see the whole thing.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Before any presentation that will include more stages, I would like to share some stage predictions of my own. I based many of these on predicted characters as well as new titles, so please take a look at the additional 22 stages that should might be in Smash. Why 22, well Wii U and 3DS had 48 new stages, and with 6 confirmed, I only wanted to go a little over half the amount as Sakurai said to not expect as much, so please enjoy the list.

1) Malie City (Pokémon Sun and Moon) - We are bound to get a new stage from Pokémon’s latest title and since Sun and Moon is the most recent, using a city from the game as a location makes sense. Now I haven’t played the game, but Malie seems popular and with the huge building, it could make for an iconic stage.

2) Sunset Heights, Ghost Town, and Park Avenue (Sonic Forces) - Sonic has been known to get a new stage in each Smash installment, with the last stage being based on the newest title, Lost World. If the trend continues a stage based on Forces seems likely, and with the destroyed city being an iconic part of Forces marketing, a stage that meshes the various city stages could result in a fun Smash stage.

3) Ships (Donkey Kong Country and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze) - Everyone expects Krool to get in, so if he does, then he would need a home stage to fight on. My theory is that the stage will be his pirate ship from DKC, and it’ll be a no hazard stage themed around the croc’s first encounter. The stage will also act like the Boxing Ring though and have a second version, this being the design of a DKCTF Snowmad ship.

4) Podunk (EarthBound Beginnings) - The EarthBound/ Mother series gets a new stage per game, and with the world wide release of Beginnings, I feel it’s time for this title to get its own stage, as Magicant was a joint stage between Earthbound and Beginnings, so Beginnings still doesn’t have its own stage. A stage going over the school and cemetery from the game could be interesting, and if Ninten is to be a character, I would expect him to have his own stage.

5) Nohr and Hoshido (Fire Emblem Fates) - A traveling stage based on Fire Emblem Fates. Corrin seemed to be put in last minute in Smash for Wii U and 3DS, so she didn’t get her own stage. Usually the new FE game gets a stage, but since IS still promotes Fates, and they skipped over it in terms of stages, I can see them using the gothic architecture of Nohr and the Traditional Japanese architecture of Hoshido, making for an interesting stage.

6) Prism Island (Paper Mario: Color Splash) - Sticker Star got a stage last time, so I would assume Color Splash would get one this time. Having the main dock and maybe a few iconic locations, like the rock, paper, scissors arena would give this stage a bit to work with.

7) King Dedede’s Castle (Kirby Super Star) - There’s always a new Super Star Stage, we are actually running thin in terms of stuff from that game that can be used for stages. King Dedede’s castle is iconic to Kirby, so I’m surprised it wasn’t a stage already, plus with Dedede’s final smash being from one of his castle fights from the remake, I’m sure we’ll get some sort of Dedede stage.

8) Sarasaland (Super Mario Land) - Daisy is a new playable character and would require a stage of her own so why not a Super Mario Land Stage. Think about it, the game was highlighted by Sakurai during her Japanese website reveal, and he made a Kirby Gameboy stage, so maybe it’s Mario’s time to get the GameBoy treatment. Hopefully it won’t be as awful as Kirby’s though.

9) Ashley’s Mansion (Warioware Series) - We already have two Wario stages, with one representing the core mechanics of Warioware and the other representing a game from Game & Wario. Many believe Ashley will be a playable character, so if she is, then a stage based on her mansion would be highly likely. Like what if spells go off or demons appear as hazards, that way it’s different from Luigi’s Mansion.

10) The Valentia Divide (Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia) - A Palutena’s temple like stage that is a combination of the temples of the two sibling Gods, Mila and Duma. One side is war heavy while the other is peaceful. This will give Echoes its stage and if Celica is playable, she will have a stage to call home.

11) Star Fox Guard (Star Fox Guard) - A unique take on the tower defense genre, Star Fox Guard could be the stage that represents Zero as it is a unique concept that was yet to be done in Star Fox. The stage has players battle in a maze, avoiding the occasional turret that is set to keep them out. Turrets are completely breakable and move towards a different angle when hit. Four hits means success in breaking a turret as it goes around in a circle to hit all angles.

12) Pokémon Go (Pokémon Go) - Ohhhh...Boy....I can already see the hate for this. Lets be real though, Pokémon Go was a massive success in 2016, and is the only Nintendo mobile effort to really go viral. Everyone knows of the game’s success, the Pokémon Company knows it, Nintendo knows it, and the public know of it. It’s even the inspiration for the Let’s Go games that are coming out. To honor its legacy, lets add a stage to Smash. The stage takes place on a phone as fighters battle on the map of Go. Random gyms run by the three teams will appear for players to fight in. Players will also have to avoid Pokémon in the real world setting of the stage, as well as Pokéballs that are thrown from the foreground. The stage is broken into three parts as seen with a pathway map, mainly just a white line for players to fight on with the occasional Pokémon encounter, then it goes into real world, where players fight on the bottom of the phone screen, dodging Pokéballs and the catchable Pokémon, then final going into a standard gym where players can see a team logo in the background.

13) Alrest (Xenoblade Chronicles 2) - Xenoblade will probably get another Gaur Plains type stage, with Alrest. Since it’s presumed that Rex and Pyra will be playable, I’m sure they’d also get a stage to call home.

14) Flipnote (Flipnote Studios) - We’ve already had two Pictochat stages, so Sakurai seems to love drawing stages. As a way to be more modern though, I would guess a Flipnote stage could be worked out.

15) Mayor’s Town/ Smashville 3 (Animal Crossing New Leaf) - We seem to always get a new Smashville type stage in each entry, so going by that trend, then New Leaf should get a stage in the same vain as it’s brothers.

16) Excitebike (Excitebike) - We always get a retro/ 8-bit stage in Smash, so with the Mario Kart 8 track based on Excitebike, it seems Nintendo wants to bring it back a little bit, so I could see a stage based on the game as the new retro stage that everyone will inevitably hate.

17) New World (Minecraft) - Something about this Smash makes me believe that Microsoft will be a part of it as one of two new third parties to enter. If they do then I’m sure Steve will be their mascot as Nintendo actually promotes Minecraft. With this in mind a changing MC stage with more generic terrain would be great. Imagine seeing the huge lake in the distance as you slam an opponent into a wooden house or a blocky tree. The stage, like the game, can have an absolutely gorgeous background that makes everything feel peaceful.

18) Wingo’s Fortress (Captain Toad Treasure Tracker) - An iconic location from the new spinoff series, the tower would be a very vertices level for players to fight on in a similar vain to Moray Towers. The evil bird can be a boss that appears at the top of the stage only, otherwise it may attack from the back, so watch out.

19) The Mintendo Noodle House (ARMS) - An iconic stage from ARMS as its the home of the beloved fighter Min Min. The stage caves in like a Ramen bowl, but otherwise has no dangers. It just has the background of the Min Min stage.

20) Area 6 (Metroid: Samus Returns) - The Diggernaut was a famous encounter from the new title, so having a stage centered around it could be interesting and a change of pace from the usual lava filled Metroid levels, as now you have to take on a boss that changes the stage layout.

21) F-Zero Stage (F-Zero) - We always get a new one, I just can’t think of anything as I’m not a fan of the series and there’s no new titles to go off of. It’ll probably be a new Big Blue or Mute City though.

22) Glade of Dreams (Rayman Series) - I have a hunch that Rayman will be the second third party in Smash due to the recent Nintendo and Ubisoft partnerships, if so, then a stage based on Rayman’s land going through various locations like the jungle all the way to music land would easily make for a stage.

That’s my list, if you have any suggestions, please feel free to tell me, otherwise I feel like these might be the most likely stages for Ultimate.

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
I really hope that some series get new stages. Zelda and Mario are getting a new stage based on their two most recent games, so I reeeaaally hope that Sakurai does his thing and adds a Tropical Freeze stage and a Star Allies stage. Metroid is probably gaining a new stage, as Pyrosphere is probably not coming back because of Ridley. Pokemon will also have a new stage, I'm sure of it, based on Sun and Moon.

The other new stages I suppose that depend on the newcomers. I mean, for example if K. Rool gets in instead of a Tropical Freeze stage we will probably get a DKC1/2 stage; if Rex & Pyra get in we'll probably have a Xenoblade 2 stage, but if they don't I don't think that Sakurai is going to make the effort of adding a new Xenoblade stage (the same applies to Arms). Then we'll also have one of those funny stages along the lines of Flat Zone, Pictochat and Miiverse, and I'm sure this time it will be based on Snipperclips.

As for returning stages, I really hope that every stage that it's not based in another one (like Brinstar and Planet Zebes, or Sector Z and Corneria) is coming back. If some stages like Paper Mario, Fountain of Dreams or Pirate Ship get cut for no reason I'll be really mad.

Kain6th

Smash Ace
Here's a screen shot of the stage select
smash ultimate stage select.png

Stages not returning:

N64:
Planet Zebes
Sector Z

Melee:
Icicle Mountain
Mute City
Mushroom Kingdom
Poke floats (sad)

Brawl:
Rumble Falls

Smash Wii U:
Wooly World
Orbital Gate
Jungle Hijinx
Pyrosphere
Miiverse

3DS:
Rainbow Road (sad)
Pac-maze

What do you think? any here you were hoping for? I really wanted Poke floats and rainbow road personally. but oh well im happy for what we did get

Last edited:

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand that we are not getting both Pac-Maze (which is a nice stage, the opposite of that abomination of Pac-Land) and Rainbow Ride 3DS. This last one is almost incomprehensible, given that it was one of the most well-received stages in Smash 3DS. The same for Wooly World and Jungle Hijinx, which were interesting stages of their own.

Icicle Mountain, Rumble Falls, Orbital Gate and Poké Floats are too gimmicky even for this game, Pyrosphere has the Ridley problem, and the other ones have the problem of being too similar to other stages. Those I understand.

Anyway, the stage selection is AMAZING. These are the ones I'm most excited about!

Last edited:

Lazer Tuna

Smash Rookie
My heart is pained by the non-inclusion of Orbital Gate Assault. One of my favorite chaotic maps. I don’t quite understand why Wooly World, Jungle Hijinks, and Rainbow Road we’re pulled in favor of Mario Bros, Kirby Dreamland, and Golden Plains.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
My heart is pained by the non-inclusion of Orbital Gate Assault. One of my favorite chaotic maps. I don’t quite understand why Wooly World, Jungle Hijinks, and Rainbow Road we’re pulled in favor of Mario Bros, Kirby Dreamland, and Golden Plains.
When your favorite Brawl stage is Mario Bros.

Seriously that stage is so much fun since it’s chaos you can control.

Aeronite's Kiseki

Smash Journeyman
some tidbits

-Yoshi's Island 64 is now called Super Happy Tree
-Kingdom 2 is now Mushroom Kingdom II
-Mario Circuit (Brawl) is now Figure-8 Circuit
-Dream Land 3DS is now Dream Land GB
-Mute City 3DS is now Mute City SNES

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
I'll miss the two missing 3DS stages and Pyrosphere. The latter would've been great with stage hazards turned off, but I understand why it wasn't brought back.

Suspicious Squirtle

Smash Apprentice
It looks like there's still room for 6 stages on the select screen, well, 5 because Monster Hunter isn't pictured. I expect all 5 to be new stages because of the chronological ordering. Also, because Nintendo would have no reason to hide past stages.

As for the missing past stages, here are my thoughts:
Planet Zebes -- didn't expect this stage to return as it's too redundant to Brinstar
Sector Z -- same as Planet Zebes, too redundant to Corneria
Icicle Mountain -- wasn't expecting a return, but would've loved it too
Mute City (M) -- was actually expecting this stage to return, maybe Sakuari thought is was too similar to Port Town
Mushroom Kingdom (M) -- was expecting this or the 64 one to return, but not both
Poke Floats -- was expecting this to return, and would've loved it too return; one of my favorite Melee stages
Rumble Falls -- same as Icicle Mountain
Wooly World -- suprised this isn't in
Orbital Gate Assault -- suprised this isn't in as well
Jungle Hijinxs -- another one I'm surprised isn't in
Pyrosphere -- wasn't expecting a return due to Ridley being playable now
Miiverse -- wasn't expecting a return due to Miiverse being deactivated
Rainbow Road -- surprised this isn't in
Pac-Maze -- surprised Pac-Land got in over Pac-Maze

Maybe there could be a DLC pack for returning stages which includes:
Icicle Mountain, Mute City (M), Poke Floats, Rumble Falls, Woolly World, Orbital Gate, Jungle Hijinxs, Rainbow Road, and Pac-Maze

Raspberry

Smash Journeyman
I am pretty sure this stage selection screen is temporary so as not to spoil the game too much. There are still 3 months to go, it's unlikely they won't show any other stages before the game's release.

Top Bottom