• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

In Progress Stage Model Imports

Which is more important?

• Total voters

zankyou

Smash Lord
This is it. The reason why I havent finished the stages. The thing that has been preoccupying me for almost 2 months now.

zankyou

Smash Lord
FINALLY. After getting trolled by the mdl0 format for so long I understand it.
The previous pic was of a weighted model but it still had some errors. Looks like I fixed them.

I feel like I owe you guys an explanation for why I stopped working on stages for this. Previously because I couldnt get the weights I had to fiddle with the model a lot in 3ds max and many things broke. You guys just didnt see it because I cut the broken parts out. But they were causing me a lot of pain and suffering time wise to fix. Reweighting the model is a chore so Ill probably only do it for the broken parts, but it means that I can properly import the vertices position. Character imports take way longer than stages because of the weights, so Ill probably finish falcon if I can.
Im going to use this to finish the stages I promised you guys so it might take a while. If you want to current wips let me know.

zankyou

Smash Lord
Getting so close

So it seems the retro falcon model from PM is a little bit smaller than the melee models. I was hoping they would be the same size but since they arent there are weighting issues with the hands and shoulders. Im pretty sure changing the bones in the pl**.dat file would fix it but then that would mess up the weights for the other falcon model.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Getting so close

So it seems the retro falcon model from PM is a little bit smaller than the melee models. I was hoping they would be the same size but since they arent there are weighting issues with the hands and shoulders. Im pretty sure changing the bones in the pl**.dat file would fix it but then that would mess up the weights for the other falcon model.
Nice work. This reminds me of how awful the Brawl Falcon model looks. Makes me want to puke after seeing how badass he is in Melee. Could you import it like normal, and then go to the main bone struct(s) and multiply the xyz scale by like...1.05 or whatever it takes to make it look nearly identical?

Last edited:

Jonah Armitage

Smash Rookie
Hey, Z zankyou 2 questions. Is the Yoshi Story HD thing you made tourney legal (same blastzones, collisions, Platform size, etc)? And also, any chance you could put up some links to your Pokemon Stadium,FoD, and Battlefield HD ones that you've posted in this thread?

zankyou

Smash Lord
Nice work. This reminds me of how awful the Brawl Falcon model looks. Makes me want to puke after seeing how badass he is in Melee. Could you import it like normal, and then go to the main bone struct(s) and multiply the xyz scale by like...1.05 or whatever it takes to make it look nearly identical?
That was the very first thing I tried. Even the same scale. Didnt work. It helped for parts and broke others. The thing is that for something like fingers, the bones need to be in an exact position through for the animations to work. There is a chance that Im messing something up with the weighting, but as you can see in the image when the model is in its t pose every thing is in the right place. Which implies that the issue is the animation. I weighted them to melee bones because I didnt want the model imports to affect gameplay, but that doesnt seem too feasible without a way of viewing and editing the vertices in respect to the melee bones.

Hey, Z zankyou 2 questions. Is the Yoshi Story HD thing you made tourney legal (same blastzones, collisions, Platform size, etc)? And also, any chance you could put up some links to your Pokemon Stadium,FoD, and Battlefield HD ones that you've posted in this thread?
The way Ive decided to do it is that the default tourney stages, Id only touch the models of the original files. So GrNBa will always be tourney legal but the Sm4sh Battlefield is over GrTCl because I changed things that effects more than just visuals. Ill post the wips shortly. They are in a folder that literally 100gbs of wips so I have to test and make sure I grab the ones that are closest to being done.

Last edited:

Jonah Armitage

Smash Rookie
Z zankyou I see, is the Castle Battlefield/Battlefield gonna be tourney legal? It looks amazing but obviously Battlefield has very specific edges and bottom of stage.

zankyou

Smash Lord
Why do humans have to sleep. I just want to mod melee. Ill go ahead and spoil that Ive been working on 4 character imports for the past month.

Castle battlefield is legal. Im considering making Battlefield wii u go over GrNBa. If someone where to edit the brawl stage to fit the melee collisions Id be more inclined to do it.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Why do humans have to sleep. I just want to mod melee.
Dude I feel the same way, but more so about eating. Every single day of my life I have to eat in order to function. And not just once, but three times! And not only do I have to spend time eating, but I have to spend time preparing food and then cleaning up afterward. It's such a timesink, that nets me no end product but staying alive and increased cooking skills - the latter of which I give little to no sh*ts about. Staying alive is pretty cool though, so I'll eat. But not because I want to.

Solution: Combine sleeping and eating?!?! Why don't we "plug-in" while we sleep to get our nutrients? Another plug-in station available at your desk at work for example.

And don't even get me started about driving. Imagine how much faster our society will progress once we can perform work while our car is driving itself.

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
inb4 PM/Brawl characters ported to Melee

inb4 someone gets unnecessarily offended by this joke

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
Cant tell if Im closer.

btw this is the yoshi story wip. Probably my favorite one and its pretty close to being perfect. I also think I figured out why the stages are so dark so Ill probably fix that in the actual release.
GrSt

zankyou

Smash Lord
Holy crap. I got it.

The bones are still a little off, and I should probably look at how much of a difference the slightly different bone positions make but I need to rest. I didnt sleep last night for this. Good thing its my off day. Im probably gonna make a new thread about this for any future updates since its not stage related. I originally intended on using this thread for both characters and stages but I feel like this thread is the focus of this sub board so Ill have a separate thread for characters I guess.

DRGN

Technowizard
You guys are getting too into this Melee modding
You haven't gained true Melee hacking enlightenment until you've lost sleep.

Dude I feel the same way, but more so about eating. Every single day of my life I have to eat in order to function. And not just once, but three times! And not only do I have to spend time eating, but I have to spend time preparing food and then cleaning up afterward. It's such a timesink, that nets me no end product but staying alive and increased cooking skills - the latter of which I give little to no sh*ts about. Staying alive is pretty cool though, so I'll eat. But not because I want to.

Solution: Combine sleeping and eating?!?! Why don't we "plug-in" while we sleep to get our nutrients? Another plug-in station available at your desk at work for example.

And don't even get me started about driving. Imagine how much faster our society will progress once we can perform work while our car is driving itself.
I feel this way more about sleeping. It just takes sooo much time. The time that dealing with food takes is pretty annoying too, but at least I enjoy the actual experience of eating. Home meals end up being super simple to avoid the time though. But I also like occasionally going out with friends to a restaurant, or doing the classic dinner & a movie; so I kinda like the social gatherings it can be used to help create. But sleeping simply takes way more time, an obscene amount (I mean, it's an entire third of your day!), and has almost no use besides the staying alive/sane aspect. So if I had to choose only one I suddenly didn't need anymore, or that I could "plug-in" for to resolve, I'd choose sleep.

Why do humans have to sleep. I just want to mod melee. Ill go ahead and spoil that Ive been working on 4 character imports for the past month.

Castle battlefield is legal. Im considering making Battlefield wii u go over GrNBa. If someone where to edit the brawl stage to fit the melee collisions Id be more inclined to do it.
Really awesome work, man! Congrats on your breakthroughs.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
Btw Officially switching my main to falcon.

DRGN DRGN Seriously. How was I suppose to sleep last night when I was this close.
Though Now Ive hit the road block I knew was coming. I have to figure out what the unknowns are in the texture struct. Ill talk more about that in the dat file research thread though. Its the last major point holding back imports right now.
Interestingly enough Im pretty sure melee and brawl use a different bone to detect floor collisions. The models are floating by a few melee millimeters and I need to figure out the best way of fixing it to have minimum impact on gameplay.

DRGN

Technowizard
Though Now Ive hit the road block I knew was coming. I have to figure out what the unknowns are in the texture struct. Ill talk more about that in the dat file research thread though. Its the last major point holding back imports right now.
This is what I have on that (slightly different from what I've seen online):
upload_2016-8-18_11-11-2.png

And I have a few notes on some of the values here. Let me know what you find.

zankyou

Smash Lord
This is what I have on that (slightly different from what I've seen online):
View attachment 115483

And I have a few notes on some of the values here. Let me know what you find.
This helps some. The mountains in the back ground are a bit off. The x max should be set to .5. How ever the texture is either upside down or rotated by 180. Not sure which but do you think you could try to fix that with the texture struct. I want to avoid having to edit the image.

Basically the top of the mountain is supposed to be the white part.

Agent7300

Smash Cadet
links in the OP still do not work.

Also will the stages be coming out anytime soon?

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Z zankyou
Make the following change to the mountain texture struct to make it appear correctly:

Capture.PNG

Idk, dude. It just happened somehow.

Can you elaborate upon what was causing the stages to be darker than expected, if you did find the cause? Just curious.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
Z zankyou
Make the following change to the mountain texture struct to make it appear correctly:

View attachment 115766

Idk, dude. It just happened somehow.

Can you elaborate upon what was causing the stages to be darker than expected, if you did find the cause? Just curious.
Well with that Yoshi Story is very near perfect. Its kinda hard for me to tell how dark the stages really are since my wii cable broke and my monitor seems to be darker than my crt overall, but brawl has some pretty complicated shader functions that determine how the colors are mixed and whether or not it uses its color group. Grey just seems to be a place holder a lot of times and it doesnt use it. Im looking for the flag that determines whether or not its supposed to be used.
Should add that the byte I thought was responsible for multiple textures is not that. It seems to be related to if it gets its color for the color group or color node. It has some weird effects if you play with it.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
Old OP. Ignore

BATTLE FIELD

FINAL DESTINATION

DREAMLAND

YOSHI STORY

POKEMON STADIUM

New Links Soon
You have to rebuild your ISO and choose ignore TOC for these stages to work.

These are by no means done. Im just sharing the WIPs. I plan on rebuilding the file adding more things and fixing issues so I wouldnt really suggest heavily making changes to these. That being said battlefield is pretty close to being done. Image pointers and pallet struct (not the pallet) pointers are root nodes.

Now to go find all the sources I imported these from.

BattleField WiiU (light) - YLBTT

Toy Time - MarthBTT

Hyrule Castle - PeachBTT

Indigo Stadium - PS

Castle Battle Field - BF

Kalos League - GrTFe.dat

WarioWare -YS64

OP updated with all of the things I was working on. Should I delete the old images. Links dont work and I probably dont have the older versions of the stages any more anyways. Cant see why I would keep it.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
Do you still want the second post?
Yes. Id probably be a little more transparent on what Im doing and post beta versions of stages more often if I did.

Somewhat related. I think that Brawl is just brighter than melee as far as the color groups are concerned. I cant find anything that makes the same values equivalent. Its probably hidden in the texture structure or material struct flags since they seem to be tied to shaders. It seems that Brawls 808080 is melee's FFFFFF. Or maybe its B3B3B3. Its probably related to whether or not the color is applied before or after the lighting is accounted for.

Last edited:

TheJButton

Smash Rookie
Couldn't get Castle Battlefield to start up on my 20xx iso. I replaced GrNBa.0at, but after selecting the stage, the music plays then freezes indefinitely without leaving the SSS.

PrinceJohn

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
PRJN#560
Couldn't get Castle Battlefield to start up on my 20xx iso. I replaced GrNBa.0at, but after selecting the stage, the music plays then freezes indefinitely without leaving the SSS.
You playing on Dolphin? Most of the time I can't get these to work unless I am on a wii, might be some dolphin settings I don't know about though.

TheJButton

Smash Rookie
Playing on the Wii. All the other stages have worked fine and I made sure to toggle "Do not use game.toc" before rebuilding the ISO using the new root folder. I'll give it a go on Dolphin though.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
The file size is probably just too large for the RAM to handle. On Yoshi's Fortune I tried two players and it was fine, but then tried four players, two of which being Icies and Zelda, and it did the same thing that you mentioned of softlocking after you select the stage. Zankyou is aware of this problem.

zankyou

Smash Lord
The file size is probably just too large for the RAM to handle. On Yoshi's Fortune I tried two players and it was fine, but then tried four players, two of which being Icies and Zelda, and it did the same thing that you mentioned of softlocking after you select the stage. Zankyou is aware of this problem.
Well in this case the file size is around 2.5mb which should be a little under the limit I think. Im also getting the issue with Castle BattleField which is weird because its literally the same file that was sitting in my onedrive folder from a year ago. And that one worked. Might be the new dolphin, might be rotational velocidensity.

Top Bottom