• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Stage Legality Discussion Thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
SMM looks really fun. Looks like randomly generated layouts for sure. Due to the possibility of walk offs being created, the only method for making this legal would come down to restarting the stage until we get something that isn't. If TOs and players would agree to it anyway.
that would depend on the frequency of a good stage being made relative to the bad ones. If there's a, say, 1 in 3 chance of the stage generated being competitive material, it might be worth it.

Since the stage is randomly generated, super mario maker only side tournaments will be fun.
Better idea
SMM banned in brackets, but the only legal stage for any and all Salty Suite matches. Or at least mandatory game 1 for salty suite

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
that would depend on the frequency of a good stage being made relative to the bad ones. If there's a, say, 1 in 3 chance of the stage generated being competitive material, it might be worth it.
Yeah... I think we should wait at least until we get to test it a bit.

Who am I kidding? People will ban it anyway.

:196:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
At one point in the trailer, it says "With so many parts and layouts, the sky's the limit for stage design." That seriously seems to imply some sort of user-creation feature.

IDK, the trailer just doesn't give enough solid information to make a call. I'll definitely be looking into it come the 30th though.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
At one point in the trailer, it says "With so many parts and layouts, the sky's the limit for stage design." That seriously seems to imply some sort of user-creation feature.

IDK, the trailer just doesn't give enough solid information to make a call. I'll definitely be looking into it come the 30th though.
maybe it takes custom stages shared with the world and gives them a Mario Maker skin? In that case it would be almost trivial to turn it into a legal stage, maybe replicating Meta Crystal or PM's Pokemon Stadium or Fountain or Brawl Yoshis's Island or something

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
@ ParanoidDrone ParanoidDrone I think you're reading a bit too much into that line. It literally says in the trailer that the layout changes every time you play on the stage. The bit about "parts and layouts" to me refers to the features of the stage, i.e. SMM levels are composed of several different stage "parts" and this aspect is carried over into Smash.

Either way if the stage layout is randomly generated every time you start a new match on there, I think that's a pretty obvious case for an auto-ban. The problem is, as someone had already mentioned, you simply can't counter-pick the stage. In every other stage, legal or otherwise, there are consistent elements that you can prepare for. Going back to my old favorite topic of discussion, Halberd, the stage hazards have clear visual and audio indicators of when the stage is preparing them. Additionally, the stage's low ceiling is always going to be low, and the stage's layout only has two real states to learn, both of which are consistent every time you play the stage.

If it does actually end up being something more than randomly picked stage layouts, I would be interested in seeing how it could fit into the legal stage list, but I don't think anything currently indicates that's the direction they want to take the stage. And really that's fine. it looks like it's going to be super fun, and I plan to buy it on those merits alone.

Last edited:

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726

Just got home, took the time real quick to compile (most) every stage layout shown in the trailer. Image size was getting too large for the rest...

So as the trailer says, a hand will generate one of I presume several stage layouts in which you'd permanently play on akin to the Gamer stage. Interestingly, though, all players seem to immediately spawn from the top due to this similarly to a revival platform rather than a predetermined spawn point.

Bricks can be broken by normal damaging attacks as well as what I presume by jumping against it, which were soon fixed roughly two seconds after breaking from what I saw.

The Super Mario World unbreakable blocks look to work as you'd expect them to when hit.

Lava does a tremendous amount of damage of 25%!

Honestly there isn't terribly much to say about this other than it looks fun to play on. There are walkoffs galore on several of these layouts, potential spots of immense camping due to large pipe placement, and so much more, not to mention the random factor in what you will get stage layout-wise, and there's so much more potential stage layouts I bet than what was shown in the trailer. I'm hoping sometime down the road they will have some form of option where, like the random stage switch, you can turn off particular layouts you don't want so that the good-ish looking layouts could potentially be legal and played on.

I dunno, just quick things I thought were worth noting about it.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Even though it'll be banned from tournament use I'm really interested in this stage and the thing I want to know is if the layout is really randomly generated (following an algorythm or something to make it not broken) or just a bunch of prepared layouts with little variance (like platform placement).

If it truly is randomly generated then I would have 1 stock best of 5 SMM only side events.

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
this makes me so sad seeing what could bring even more to the stage creator. they should just add all the mario maker tool to smash to make stages on.

NNID
Budget_Player
The questions I want to ask about Castle Siege are the following :
1-If everyone agrees that it's not ok to have walkoffs for 100% of the time, why is it okay to have them 33% of the time ?
Fundamentally, the problem with walkoffs is that they encourage an absurd risk-reward situation. If I have the stock lead and some rage, I can just hang out near the blastzone on Eldin and wait for the timer to force you to come to me, at which point the risk-reward is phenomenally skewed. With temporary walkoffs, camping the walkoff necessarily is countered by just waiting, at which point the stage transforms and the player camping is forced into a bad position, usually offstage or about to be offstage.

2-Are walkoffs something that add competitive depth to the game and that players should base their stage choice on ? Every message on this thread concerning walkoffs seems to go against it.
In theory, like any stage elements, walkoffs would add competitive depth to the game... if it weren't for how degenerate the gameplay on permanent walkoffs got. This degeneracy is not present on temporary walkoffs, however.

3-Are walkoffs something completely bad but you tolerate them because the other parts of the stage bring enough competitive depth to balance it out ? Beside 43s walkoffs I don't see what Castle Siege adds to the stage list that can't be found in other stages.
Just to name the most obvious factor: CS's first transformation is among the smallest on the stagelist and has an uneven ground. These are factors that Pikachu loves in a lot of matchups.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
...This degeneracy is not present on temporary walkoffs, however.
I disagree, the degenracy shifts from "risk a stupid death everytime you approach" to "camp until the unfavorable risk goes away". Even if it's in a more acceptable way this paradigm still rewards the players for avoiding combat which in my opinion is a big "never" in any fighting game. Kind of like I think no player should be rewarded by RNG alone, but I know I'm the only one wanting Halberd banned.

Just to name the most obvious factor: CS's first transformation is among the smallest on the stagelist and has an uneven ground. These are factors that Pikachu loves in a lot of matchups.
And does this kind of strategic advantage outweight the fact that in the second phase you'll spend as much time as you spenjt benefiting from the first phase ? That's the question I'm asking.

NNID
Budget_Player
I disagree, the degenracy shifts from "risk a stupid death everytime you approach" to "camp until the unfavorable risk goes away". Even if it's in a more acceptable way this paradigm still rewards the players for avoiding combat which in my opinion is a big "never" in any fighting game.
You don't play or watch a lot of Marvel, do you? By which I mean Marvel vs. Capcom 2 or UMVC3. Either one would show quite clearly how runaway is a viable (in Marvel 2 nearly omnipresent) strategy in two of the most fast-paced and exciting-to-watch fighters. FChamp is one of the top players, and his main strategy against "big body" teams is essentially running away, completely outstripping their movement with Magneto and forcing them into a no-win scenario.

Oh yeah, by the way, you want a paradigm that rewards players for avoiding combat? One of the players picks Wario. "Run away for two minutes then kill at 20%" is not just a viable gameplan, it's a really good game plan and has been since Brawl. Warios should avoid combat in most situations unless their fart is charged. Should we ban Wario because he benefits from running away, and because he rewards players for avoiding combat? Of course not. That would be stupid. And yeah, you know, maybe the stage makes running away a little easier and approaching a little less advantageous. For a very limited period of time, on one clearly-demarcated transformation. If you don't want to deal with the walkoff, wait 40 seconds, and then presto, your opponent is offstage, all because you didn't approach. Camping the walkoff is not a smart move (unlike the runaway from Wario, or MvC2 Storm, or UMvC3 Magneto/Morrigan/Phoenix teams) in the long run unless you're sure you're going to run down the clock. It's a classic case of "It's not okay for a stage but it is okay for a character". Case in point:

Kind of like I think no player should be rewarded by RNG alone, but I know I'm the only one wanting Halberd banned.
I have dropped matches and sets because of misfires and 9s. Luigi's random chance of getting a better recovery and killing very early, or Game & Watch's chances of instakilling you with a move are far more egregious than anything on Halberd's combo cannon. You can say that this isn't "RNG alone", but all of Halberd's hazards have a long warning period, to the point where it's absolutely unreasonable to claim that any player hit by them was hit because of RNG alone.

It's this double standard present in all these discussions. Something is totally not okay when a stage does it, but it's perfectly fine when a character does it. Sure, Wuhu forces a reset to the neutral position every once in a while. Other stages, like FD, are far less forgiving of characters who leave the neutral. That said, characters also fall on a similar spectrum, from Yoshi, where you're pretty much never not playing neutral and have insane anti-juggle tools, to CF, where not being in neutral is awful for whoever is getting juggled. I've had people argue that Wuhu is less competitive because it robs us of our rewards for forcing a disadvantaged state. Does this mean Yoshi is less competitive than CF? Obviously not, that would be stupid.

The fact is that stages, like characters, fall on spectra with regards to things like randomness, disruption of gameplay, and the like. We need to understand this. It's a massive double standard and I have yet to understand any justification for it beyond "Characters are more important". Yes, they are, that doesn't mean stages are trivial or meaningless, and that doesn't make the double standard go away.

And does this kind of strategic advantage outweight the fact that in the second phase you'll spend as much time as you spenjt benefiting from the first phase ? That's the question I'm asking.
Second phase is pretty great for Pikachu too - he can run, camp, use the hitbox-extending qualities of the statues, and his bthrow is actually legitimately dangerous on walkoffs. It doesn't matter, though. It's a situation you have to adapt to, which is what makes it valuable. The fact that one phase produces a subjectively undesirable (but not broken in the context of the stage as a whole) game state makes no difference.

Last edited:

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
Another day, another tournament with more starter/counterpick distinctions in their stage rulesets. Getting sick of tournaments, majors included, running these when various stages considered "starter" could easily be swapped out by anything else. Or better yet, go full stage striking so people will stop arguing that Dreamland is more starter material than Lylat and so on and so forth.

Ayyy.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Another day, another tournament with more starter/counterpick distinctions in their stage rulesets. Getting sick of tournaments, majors included, running these when various stages considered "starter" could easily be swapped out by anything else. Or better yet, go full stage striking so people will stop arguing that Dreamland is more starter material than Lylat and so on and so forth.

Ayyy.
YES. Lylat needs to be a starter instead of Dreamland. DL being a starter means you basically get 2 Battlefields in a selection of 5, which really sucks if you don't want BF for your character. It just doesnt seem fair. With Lylat, every starter has a different layout and distinct advantages and disadvantages for each playstyle, and that's 100x better for a starter selection than BF and DL.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
I just love the ways you could categorize stages into layout "themes" if you will.

Triangular like platform stages with slight differences (Battlefield, Dreamland 64)
Flat archetype with notably no to little platforms in which to maneuver (Final Destination, Duck Hunt)
Flat with moving platform (Smashville)
A nice mix of platform and instances where it's flat (Town & City)
And then the most unqiue in terms of layout and features with the tilting, Lylat to hinder someone's projectile game like Sheik.

I dunno man, I feel these seven stages perfectly capture what I love in Smash games, and they're all so perfect for the meta.

The other three considered "suspect" stages like Delfino Plaza, Halberd, and Castle Siege, while one of them to my mind absolutely must go, I certainly appreciate what they bring in terms of competitive value.

I'm hoping we can all someday compromise and come to a universal ruleset with stages we can all (mostly) agree should be standard for competitive play.

As an aside, I don't see how something with hazards, a strange base underside that can eat up some characters recovery, and ambiguity with who said hazards will target (Halberd), is generally more accepted than something like Mushroom Kingdom U which was honestly never given a change, yet appears to have better base layouts overall and more easy to notice cues on when the relatively harmless hazards will occur.

Not to mention Halberd and it's horridly low blastzones. Yoshi's Story boyz.

I'm not arguing that it should be legal or anything, just trying to understand how something with the same issues is given less of a chance and considered banned outright.

...Naw who am I kidding, legalize Mushroom Kingdom U. Always hated the "New" aesthetics, but man the stage is just so well designed.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
I would literally take Mushroom Kingdom over Halberd anyday. Our state is very cynical when it comes to stages, though, and even argue and discuss the banning of Town and City LOL.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
Currently East side still runs the full ten stages with Halberd, Delfino, Castle. But jeez, I am sick of having 5 starters and 5 counterpicks. Some of the Michigan's PR were recently discussing the legality of Town & City and many seem to deem it bad...the bandwagoning is real.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Currently East side still runs the full ten stages with Halberd, Delfino, Castle. But jeez, I am sick of having 5 starters and 5 counterpicks. Some of the Michigan's PR were recently discussing the legality of Town & City and many seem to deem it bad...the bandwagoning is real.
what's their argument? I can literally only think of two issues with the stage: the platforms of death (when they leave during the transition) and the low ceiling and neither are that big a deal

Routa

Smash Lord
Well I would like to see your reaction to stagelist which was used in one of the big monthlies in Finland

Stagelist
Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville
Town & City
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Skyloft
Duck Hunt
Halberd
Kongo Jungle N64
Pokémon Stadium 2
Wuhu Island
FLSS system was used.

So... Opinions?

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Well I would like to see your reaction to stagelist which was used in one of the big monthlies in Finland

Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville
Town & City
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Skyloft
Duck Hunt
Halberd
Kongo Jungle N64
Pokémon Stadium 2
Wuhu Island

FLSS system was used.

So... Opinions?
where was Dreamland? I mostly like this list otherwise (KJ and Wuhu = <3 ) but skyloft and PS2 are kinda pushing it. But it's still really good and I am jealous

Routa

Smash Lord
where was Dreamland? I mostly like this list otherwise (KJ and Wuhu = <3 ) but skyloft and PS2 are kinda pushing it. But it's still really good and I am jealous
Well... lets say that TO's have been a bit... Lazy I guess? Well they are thinking about adding it to the list atm, but then it has to replace something. Sadly FLSS doesn't work with 14 stages.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Well... lets say that TO's have been a bit... Lazy I guess? Well they are thinking about adding it to the list atm, but then it has to replace something. Sadly FLSS doesn't work with 14 stages.
It can replace either skyloft or PS2, I don't think either stage should be there right now. But idk, maybe they know more than I do

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341

FLSS system was used.

So... Opinions?
Personally I would swap either PS2 with Dreamland. Other than that it's awesome some areas are actually expanding their stage lists.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Skyloft is a good stage for competition, PS2 is a ****ing excellent stage for all purposes except competition. Problem solved MrGame&Rock MrGame&Rock
If you look back far enough in the thread, I used to think Slyloft was the best stage in the game bar none, but the building hitboxes have since turned me off of the stage for competitive purposes. I agree about PS2 though, and a skyloft without those hazards would be flawless for competition. I don't mind a stage list with skyloft on it, but I wouldn't try to take a match there as long as those hitboxes exist

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
If you look back far enough in the thread, I used to think Slyloft was the best stage in the game bar none, but the building hitboxes have since turned me off of the stage for competitive purposes. I agree about PS2 though, and a skyloft without those hazards would be flawless for competition. I don't mind a stage list with skyloft on it, but I wouldn't try to take a match there as long as those hitboxes exist
The hitboxes are pretty non-intrusive, you're only going to get hit by them in a situation where on a "normal" stage you would be very close to the blast zone. If the problem is the fact that they hit characters who are in disadvantage (aka knocked close to the blast zone, possibly about to die) then the hazards are comparable to Yoshi's Island: Brawl, where the platform saves people trying to recover. If anything, this is more balanced as they get hit back towards the stage but also receive damage + hitstun.

If the problem is hazards in general, then why is Halberd on your list?

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
It can replace either skyloft or PS2, I don't think either stage should be there right now. But idk, maybe they know more than I do
Replacing PS2 with DL64 would be the way to go imo. Skyloft is just a really nice stage and the hitboxes are not much of a problem. PS2 is also nice, but it has some issues I guess.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
The hitboxes are pretty non-intrusive, you're only going to get hit by them in a situation where on a "normal" stage you would be very close to the blast zone. If the problem is the fact that they hit characters who are in disadvantage (aka knocked close to the blast zone, possibly about to die) then the hazards are comparable to Yoshi's Island: Brawl, where the platform saves people trying to recover. If anything, this is more balanced as they get hit back towards the stage but also receive damage + hitstun.

If the problem is hazards in general, then why is Halberd on your list?
my problem is unpredictable hazards, those that come out of nowhere, and halberd's are about as discreet as Swiper from Dora.

Myed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
13sora
3DS FC
1306-7973-7040
my problem is unpredictable hazards, those that come out of nowhere, and halberd's are about as discreet as Swiper from Dora.
PS2's hazards are predictable, but that doesnt make the air transformation anywhere near okay. (Not to mention the other ones. Ice and those goddam slippery shoes traction, Electric making everything but a small platform in the middle unfit for combat, Rock's pretty ok i guess)

The air transformation removes shorthopping altogether, removing an integral part of the game as well as ruining quite a few characters who depend on shorthops to function (i.e. Shulk)

It also gives a ridiculous advantage to some characters with good ground-game, as they dont need to deal with floating down to attack, and juggles, as the opponent is going to stay there for a LONG while (Hello Shiek/Rosaluma)

As mentioned above, the other transformations have very glaring faults as well, but Air's floatiness is enough to make it uncompetitive imo.

On Skyloft:

Skylofts hazards do not come out of nowhere, They're based on which transformation the stage is travelling to, and as such, anyone who knows the stage wont get hit by them. The hazards can give an advantage if you can time throws so they land in the hazard, tacking on an extra 12%. However, most of the hazards are so far offstage that you would have to physically jump into them/knock your opponent really far offstage. to get it to hit.

As someone who plays on Skyloft often, the hazards prevent kills off the bottom more often than they kill. Because of the way the stage works (While the platform's moving, anything that is not the platform does 12% and knocks the player away from the hazard to avoid clipping into the stage), a lot of the time, the lower blastzone is covered with 'hey have a free recovery' hazards that turn a lost stock into a free ledgegrab for all but Little Mac. I haven't tested the stage enough to quite get the appearences down yet, but there are a LOT of them. The only place where you can be sure one wont appear is when the platform is in open sky.

All in all, I do believe Skyloft>PS2 because the floaty transformation interferes a lot with play, while preventing kills off the lower blastzone is kinda iffy, but managable.

Have we discussed Peach's Castle legality? I personally feel like the low ceiling (encourages vertical kills) combined with the techable triangles (discourage horizontal kills off the main platform) could make for a niche more on the radical side, Is there something I'm missing about it? I've heard the bumper cited, but I havent had it prevent any of my kills (even when my opponent was launched into it) yet. Is there some kind of % that the bumper prevents killing at?

NNID
Budget_Player
The air transformation removes shorthopping altogether, removing an integral part of the game as well as ruining quite a few characters who depend on shorthops to function (i.e. Shulk)
This is not the problem. There's nothing wrong with making a game state have different conditions and certain tools working better or worse on that state.

It also gives a ridiculous advantage to some characters with good ground-game, as they dont need to deal with floating down to attack, and juggles, as the opponent is going to stay there for a LONG while (Hello Shiek/Rosaluma)
This is also not the problem. Ground game is too weak in this game anyways, and it's nice to have to rely on it for once. Juggling is harder to avoid but not disturbingly so.

No. The problem is that if you're between like 10% and 40% and get grabbed by Shiek on the air transformation, you're just dead, because dthrow->uair->uair is true and just carries you straight off the top. This completely destroys PS2.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre

Sttagelist

FLSS system was used.

So... Opinions?
Funnily I don't mind PS2 or Kongo Jungle because they have a clear and defined role in the stagelist, having 3 traveling stages, 2 transforming stages, 2 long flat stages and only one BF like is a clear lack of consistency.

Here's how I see it :
-if you don't want to play on a stage with janky physics then you just have to strike PS2 and you still have 5 bans left,
-if you don't want to play on that huge ass circle camping promoting KJ64 it's one strike too.
-if you don't want to play on a Battlefield-like it's still one strike
-if you don't want to play on a stage that travels you have to waste 3 strikes,
-if you don't want to play on stages with hitboxes you also have to strike 3 stages
-if you don't want to play on a stage with a pass-through platform it's 4 of your 6 strikes you have to use
-if you don't want to deal with walkoffs of any kind then it's also 4 strikes

There's a bias to the options you give to the players with such a big stage list.

Last edited:

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
Funnily I don't mind PS2 or Kongo Jungle because they have a clear and defined role in the stagelist, having 3 traveling stages, 2 transforming stages, 2 long flat stages and only one BF like is a clear lack of consistency.

Here's how I see it :
-if you don't want to play on a stage with janky physics then you just have to strike PS2 and you still have 5 bans left,
-if you don't want to play on that huge *** circle camping promoting KJ64 it's one strike too.
-if you don't want to play on stages with hitboxes you also have to strike 3 stages
-if you don't want to play on a stage with a pass-through platform it's 4 of your 6 strikes you have to use

There's a bias to the options you give to the players with such a big stage list.
-if you don't want to play on a stage with a solid platform you have to waste 8 strikes (which is impossible).
-if you don't want to play on a static stage you have to strike 2-8 stages depending on what you count as static.

Also, Dreamland 64 often counts as a separate stage and I would definitely call that Battlefield-like.

The problem here is that you're dividing stages into categories of your liking when the stages are actually unique. Please don't try to say that Skyloft is as similar to Delfino Plaza as Miiverse is to Battlefield or omegas are to Final Destination. If you haven't noticed, the stages have completely different platform layouts, transformations and other properties. The most noticeable similarity is that they are transforming, but that's not the only thing that defines a stage. If that was the case, we would only be playing on two stages. One static and one transforming.

Last edited:

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
Have we discussed Peach's Castle legality? I personally feel like the low ceiling (encourages vertical kills) combined with the techable triangles (discourage horizontal kills off the main platform) could make for a niche more on the radical side, Is there something I'm missing about it? I've heard the bumper cited, but I havent had it prevent any of my kills (even when my opponent was launched into it) yet. Is there some kind of % that the bumper prevents killing at?
I too have yet to see anything massively egregious about Peaches Castle. I've seen the wedges completely turn a game around because someone managed a tech @ 150+%. Seems like that rewards player skill to me. And i've seen the bumper interfere with something like Kirby or Charizards up-throws, but it seems like such a minor thing when considering the issues in other stages.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
In my testing it initially, bumper doesn't even interfere with or outright mess with Kirby's upthrow. Charizard's, however, does along with the additional damage he receives and ROB's doesn't reach.

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
Might have just been charizard that i remember it affecting, and i probably just thought it did it to Kirby too

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
Might have just been charizard that i remember it affecting, and i probably just thought it did it to Kirby too
On day one when testing it out, I remember specifically that you would take the damage for hitting it, but the aftermath of it was different. Curiously, Kirby had merely fazed right through it on the way down and wouldn't receive knock back upon collision whereas Charizard would take the damage as well as get knocked away as if hitting it normally, but yeah, it definitely interrupts his animation going down while it doesn't seem to be the case as the animation takes either of the characters upward.

NNID
Budget_Player

Here's how I see it :
-if you don't want to play on that huge *** circle camping promoting KJ64 it's one strike too.
If you want your stage to move, you have to spend two strikes.
If you want your stage to not have a temporary semi-walkoff for combo finishers, you have to spend two strikes.

Your categories are completely arbitrary and ignore the important issues. Kunai tried to do the same thing, except he was claiming that FD, SV, and BF were somehow objective categories, and that any combination of 5 starters broke up that symmetry. It was a bad argument when he did it, and it's a bad argument now, too. See, here's the thing. The superficial things? They don't matter. Delfino is one of ZSS's best stages, while Wuhu is one of her worst, and yet they both have walkoffs, pass-through platforms, and travel. Those factors don't tend to be the real important ones, though. No, what matters is that Delfino is small with high platforms and very low ceilings at times, allowing for super-aggressive juggling and early kills off the top, while Wuhu is large, wide, campy, and has some odd topology.

Different characters like different stages. What we need to be looking for is "Does char X like this stage against char Y" (repeat until you've run through every character combination of X and Y). This is a pretty big problem to solve, I'll admit, but arbitrarily carving up categories gets us nowhere, because grouping stages by their superficial attributes leads to horribly skewed results. Smashville, T&C, Dreamland, and Battlefield are all ostensibly Flat+Plat, but they cater to vastly different characters. Even Dreamland and Battlefield have non-trivial differences in how characters approach them. When it comes to Skyloft, Wuhu, Delfino, and Mario Kart 8, sure, they're all traveling stages with a pass-through floor and temporary walkoffs, but the list of characters you should ban or counterpick those stages as or with is vastly different with each. Grouping them together is nonsensical unless you (rather than your character) don't like those specific qualities, in which case we don't cater to personal whimsy, but rather to the metagame.

Oh, and for the record? The fact that FLSS favors stage attributes that are more common and forces you to use more strikes if you want to avoid them is a feature, not a bug. If there are 4 traveling stages that are viable and 3 static stages, why should we favor the latter three in such a way? If your character is bad on more than half the legal stages, then giving them one of their best stages round one is just plain favoritism.

Last edited:

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
What do you think about the Japanese stagelist? (Battlefield, Smashville, Final Destination, Omegas)
I personally don't like it at all, it's way too conservative. But I've read that some people would like to adopt it. I hope that won't happen. Smashville 24/7, no please.

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
Considering sakurai made for glory nothing but FD, i could see the japanese liking it a lot. But its a horrid stage list. There are easily at least a few more stages that are perfectly fine than just those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom