• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Discussion

Kamiko

Smash Ace
So with the 3DS version having two Zelda stages, could we be getting another on the Wii U as well? I'm thinking Forsaken Fortress. Representing the upcoming Wind Waker HD, Ganondorf, and the toon side of Zelda, as well as being an iconic location, it's the perfect choice.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
So...did anyone else notice this? Look at the area Pikachu is standing in at that moment. At first I though it was the return of the Midair Stadium from SSE, but looking closer it looks like this might be a sneak peek at what the next "Pokemon Stadium" looks like.

daniel13789

Smash Rookie
This might sound kinda strange. But I would like to see a Mario party stage. It could change over time with moving platforms or other various things. I think it'll be kinda neat to have the dice block randomly appear on the stage every so often waiting for someone to hit it. I'm thinking a different item will be given to you based on the number hit. Lower number = something not commonly useful (like Mr. Saturn); while a higher number would be something found very useful (Smash ball). The items would change according to how you set them up in the rules. If no items are turned on; the dice block will not appear.

This was probably already discussed earlier; but another stage I would like to see is the wasteland area they showed in the beginning of the MegaMan intro video. I'm picturing a flat stage with the mountain MegaMan was standing on in the background with the moon shining behind it. The layout would be like Shadow Moses but with no platforms or walls. Just a simple ground level.

A stage I would like to see return is the mushroom kingdom stage from the first smash bros. I thought it was pretty neat how you could use the pipes to get around. Abused it too much though and you could set yourself up for failure.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I'm sure others have already expressed this sentiment, but I'd love to see some classic and retro Smash stages reborn in glorious HD... I feel like those stages would be grossly out of place otherwise. And not in a good sort of way like 8-bit stages. Just... bad.

Cleon

Smash Rookie
This is a huge stretch I know, but I've always wanted the Metal Mario stage from 64. I hope they have returning stages from all 3 previous games and not just brawl; I'd like classic 64 Hyrule.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I hope that the stages that are exclusive end up as DLC later. It would be cool to have all the stages from the past games but I'm not holding my breathe for that.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
So...did anyone else notice this? Look at the area Pikachu is standing in at that moment. At first I though it was the return of the Midair Stadium from SSE, but looking closer it looks like this might be a sneak peek at what the next "Pokemon Stadium" looks like.
Yep, I thought of that as soon as I saw the trailer. Though that part is CGI and not gameplay, I believe that's the new Pokémon Stadium.

If that's true, it will be the first daytime Pokémon Stadium stage, instead of being nighttime like the previous two. It also shares a lot of similarities with Pokémon Stadium 2 from Brawl.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero

Confirmed stage - Wily's Castle
Size: Small

Megaman Stage - Gemini Man:
Size: Small/Meduim
The eggs in the center are breakable and will reappear after a set period of time.
The platform to the right is passable.

Megaman Stage - Bubble Man:
Robot Crabs randomly fall from the waterfall and then starts to walk, dealing low damage and knockback to players til they fall off the stage. They can be punched/kicked away.

Those small platforms made of squares fall when players step on them.
New platforms will appear after a set period of time.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord

Confirmed stage - Wily's Castle
Size: Small

Megaman Stage - Gemini Man:
The eggs in the center are breakable and will reappear after a set period of time.
The platform to the right is passable.

Megaman Stage - Bubble Man:
Robot Crabs randomly fall from the waterfall and then starts to walk, dealing low damage and knockback to players til they fall off the stage. They can be punched/kicked away.

Those small platforms made of squares fall when players step on them.
New platforms will appear after a set period of time.
What if it's a switching stage and it actually changes into all the Megaman stages related to his powers?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
What if it's a switching stage and it actually changes into all the Megaman stages related to his powers?
Personally, I perfer the air static stages, but the idea of a Megaman Stage cykling through different Robot Master Themes, sounds exciting.

Smashiny

Smash Journeyman

Yellow Devil's got to be a stage hazard for Wily's Castle. I'm calling it now.

Hmmm I don't know, dude, he seems rather big to be a stage Hazard (him taking up half of the stage).
Sakurai said that the new Smash Bros games wouldn't have a Subspace Emmissary Type adventure, my guess is that the game will include smaller adventures per character, and maybe Yellow Devil's a boss in Mega Man's Story line? :)Just a guess of course :p

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Since it doesn't look like it was discussed, something about the Smash Bros. Direct video had me curious...

This is clearly the Battlefield stage.... So where are the platforms?

I could conclude they were removed just to help demonstrate Mega Man, but then the next scene in the video demonstrates Mega Man's weapon abilities on the Wily Castle stage. Additionally, Wii Fit Trainer is demonstrated next, and again she appears on a Battlefield that has no platforms. Immediately after, her Final Smash is shown, and the platforms are all accounted for. The demonstration continues with WFT on what's assumed to be the Wii Fit themed stage.

While I wanna assume the platforms were simply removed to assist demonstrating characters, it's all pretty inconsistent. I also find it hard to believe these video clips were collected over a long period of time. The video's put together specifically for the Smash Bros. Direct. What purpose does removing Battlefield's platforms serve if they're going to disappear one moment then reappear the next?

In the spirit of speculation, is there perhaps some new stage mechanic we're unaware of, or is this just a developer quietly displaying his control of the game's development?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The Animal Crossing stage that was shown was based on the Wii's Let's go to the City/City Folks so I'm guessing there'll be a New Leaf based stage in the 3DS version.

I wonder if there'll be a Fire Emblem stage Based off the Radiant Sub-series (Ike's series) or if they go retro and do an Akenia one (Marth's)

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Not bad!
Speaking of which. What if the boss of the Classic Mode can, in a dragonballesque manner, alter the conformation of the stage when missing you and hitting the ground?

Luigi player

Smash Master
as for a new pokemon stage N's castle seems to be the most likely to me (nothing else in gen 5 was really too important)

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
I hope they keep Lylat Cruise. It was a fairly neutral layout and it was really pretty. I'd love to see what they could do to it with a better texture/polygon budget.

Sinn

Smash Lord
I can envision a new stage inspired by Nintendo's business pursuits of the 1960s. It could be somewhat similar to the old Melee Onett stage, only instead of taking place in front of the Drug Store, it would take place in front of the infamous Nintendo Love Hotel. Cars from the Nintendo owned cab company could pull up similar to cars in the Onett stage, but instead of just speeding by, each one would stop momentarily while a middle aged Japanese man would either be picked up or dropped off with his younger female companion. The car would still hurt you if you got hit by it, but the stopping and going would make avoiding it a little trickier.

I realize this will never happen, but I found it amusing.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
This might sound kinda strange. But I would like to see a Mario party stage. It could change over time with moving platforms or other various things. I think it'll be kinda neat to have the dice block randomly appear on the stage every so often waiting for someone to hit it.
The Mushroom Kingdom stage is legendary. It really needs to come back in some form. In fact, I wouldn't mind a direct port. The Mario Party stage is an interesting suggestion I haven't seen yet. The dice block idea is neat but I don't think it should dispense items... that is too easy when it can be made to do more, like move the characters along the stage into a different set of shenanigans, or make it a Chance Time! style block. Swapping stocks, stealing lives, or changing characters has got to be a part of that!

SirGalvan

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn't mind fighting on Sauria

We could have different dinosaur tribes affecting the stage for example when the cloudrunnners fly by you could ride them or if the snow horn causes a stampede creating an earthquake on portion of the stage

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Bowser's Castle. The level is one platform floating in lava. It's filled with fireballs, those spinning fire chain things, bullet bills, crumbling platforms, and so on so forth. Very hectic. Has a hard rock remix of the original castle theme (I actually had a good one, but the YouTube video was rmeoved - none of you would happen to know what the castle theme for Mario GalaxyForever was, would you)

City Escape. Pretty standard stage set in the middle of the city. You can't fall off the bottom, but you can climb buildings. Think Onett except more hectic due to the truck being larger, destroying the environments and being able to move in *GASP* three dimensions... Probably not gonna happen, mind you, but I can dream, dammit.

Clock Town from Majora's Mask. Set in the town center (Or is it South Clock Town?) with stands scattered about and destructible... shades...? a la Onett, and the clock tower in the middle with some platforms in it. The stage goes through Majora's Mask's 3 day cycle, with the moon growing closer and closer until it crashes. The song of time is played and the cycle resets. I... wanted to include some gimmick with the clock tower and 3 day cycle but I don't really have the creativity required for that so... yeah

You can tell I'm not very good at this sort of thing

Morbi

Scavenger
Bowser's Castle. The level is one platform floating in lava. It's filled with fireballs, those spinning fire chain things, bullet bills, crumbling platforms, and so on so forth. Very hectic. Has a hard rock remix of the original castle theme (I actually had a good one, but the YouTube video was rmeoved - none of you would happen to know what the castle theme for Mario GalaxyForever was, would you)

City Escape. Pretty standard stage set in the middle of the city. You can't fall off the bottom, but you can climb buildings. Think Onett except more hectic due to the truck being larger, destroying the environments and being able to move in *GASP* three dimensions... Probably not gonna happen, mind you, but I can dream, dammit.

Clock Town from Majora's Mask. Set in the town center (Or is it South Clock Town?) with stands scattered about and destructible... shades...? a la Onett, and the clock tower in the middle with some platforms in it. The stage goes through Majora's Mask's 3 day cycle, with the moon growing closer and closer until it crashes. The song of time is played and the cycle resets. I... wanted to include some gimmick with the clock tower and 3 day cycle but I don't really have the creativity required for that so... yeah

You can tell I'm not very good at this sort of thing
I love your ideas. Bowser Castle is pushed so hard in the Mario Kart series. So why not SSB?

City Escape with the truck would create such a nostalgia boner.

Clock Town is the best idea for a stage I have ever heard. Now I will be sad if it isn't in the game. I mean it just has to happen. Maybe the Bomber's could be an interaction or something. If it was like Skyloft we could travel to the Swamp, the Great Bay, the Canyon, and the Snow Capped Mountains. It would be sick! :colorful:

Powerstars

Smash Apprentice
I designed a stage based on the original Legend Of Zelda once...

I was thinking that, on occasion, an Octorok could come by and act sorta like Birdo in Mushroom Kingdom 2.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Would anyone else want a new Poke Floats stage? I miss that one from melee.

They could make huge improvements with new pokemon and have them actually look and float like hot air balloons. Plus maybe they could incorporate sky battles into it? Like you could see trainers in the background battling their flying pokemon. They could have bird pokemon pierce through the hot air balloons causing them to fall.

Eh maybe I'm getting a little carried away.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729

Final Destination 2.
Legit. Dowant.
This would actually add a lot more to the game than people would think

It would change the Fox/Falco match-up quite a lot, too - along with other match-ups

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
This would actually add a lot more to the game than people would think

It would change the Fox/Falco match-up quite a lot, too - along with other match-ups
Glad someone approves of how simple yet unique it would be.

O'kaz A1

Smash Journeyman
Since it doesn't look like it was discussed, something about the Smash Bros. Direct video had me curious...

This is clearly the Battlefield stage.... So where are the platforms?

I could conclude they were removed just to help demonstrate Mega Man, but then the next scene in the video demonstrates Mega Man's weapon abilities on the Wily Castle stage. Additionally, Wii Fit Trainer is demonstrated next, and again she appears on a Battlefield that has no platforms. Immediately after, her Final Smash is shown, and the platforms are all accounted for. The demonstration continues with WFT on what's assumed to be the Wii Fit themed stage.

While I wanna assume the platforms were simply removed to assist demonstrating characters, it's all pretty inconsistent. I also find it hard to believe these video clips were collected over a long period of time. The video's put together specifically for the Smash Bros. Direct. What purpose does removing Battlefield's platforms serve if they're going to disappear one moment then reappear the next?

In the spirit of speculation, is there perhaps some new stage mechanic we're unaware of, or is this just a developer quietly displaying his control of the game's development?
I think it is likely just a developer quietly displaying his control of the game's development.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I wonder if it would be possible that there's an option to remove floating platforms. Like a toggle that switches your stage between a platforms stage and a completely flat stage. At least for stages that allow that kind of customization. (like battlefield)

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I really want a Super Mario Galaxy themed stage. That game had so many great settings, so it's hard to just pick one, but maybe the Comet Observatory itself? Or how about the Good Egg Galaxy? Or Honeyhive? Or Freezeflame or Toytime or Beach Bowl or Gusty Gardens or Dusty Dune...

...Yeah, waaaaaaay too hard to pick one. I'm sure Sakurai will manage, though.

Also, some Return to Dreamland love would be appreciated. Best Kirby Game ever. Halcandra would make a great backdrop for a Smash battle, don't you agree?

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Mine Cart Carnage
Franchise: Donkey Kong

The stage is a giant solid platform with an arrangement of pass-through platforms above it. The solid base-platform sits on top of a giant mine cart that zooms through a cavern dense with colorful minerals and crystals. Openings in the ceiling pass by, allowing rays of sunlight to blur by. The mine cart also occasionally passes waterfalls. Certain parts of the cavern are completely dark, and only lightbulbs hanging from the ceiling will illuminate the stage as they pass. These pitch-black sections of the level have "Stop and Go Barrels" that hover in the background, along with the creepy red-eyed Rockkrocs that pace back and forth. Every now and then a second mine cart, similar in function to The King of Red Lions in Pirate Ship, will follow behind the base-platform's mine cart and act as an alternate platform.

Music:
Minecart Madness - Donkey Kong Country
Life in the Mines - Donkey Kong Country
Misty Menace - Donkey Kong Country
Lockjaw's Saga - Donkey Kong Country 2
Mining Melancholy - Donkey Kong Country 2
Nuts and Bolts - Donkey Kong Country 3
Jungle Japes Mine Cart - Donkey Kong 64
Fungi Forest Mine Cart - Donkey Kong 64
Creepy Castle Mine Cart - Donkey Kong 64

(I couldn't figure out how to post the songs as text links, only embed media... which was way too much, so please excuse my noobiness)

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Wouldn't mind seeing a Pokémon XD/Colosseum stage. Maybe Mirror B's headquarters? He'd dance with his Ludicolos in the background while playing his trademark music! Surely everyone wants to see that?!

And if MyMusic returns, you can add more great music from a very underrated soundtrack.

Top Bottom