• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Builder Hacking?

SilverSanctum

Smash Rookie
Hey all,

Just wondering if by chance anyone has undergone an attempt to hack the stage-builder files though an SD card (IE, Swapping block texture and background art to custom source files put on a folder in the SD card)?

Just curious,

Silver

Lithos

Smash Cadet
Good question. That's certainly something that should be looked into if it hasn't already.

Gorgonian

Smash Rookie
Better yet, someone could make a PC version of the stage editor that would be faster and more flexible and would output to the same format as the brawl custom stages.

Rhambo

Smash Apprentice
haven't tried it yet (don't have an SD card), but I'll get some friends to mess around with it... good idea

Cobros

Smash Rookie
That would be awesome, and going with Gorgonian, could break the "snaping" features of the grid

Desruprot

Smash Lord
That would be something interesting...I hope we could also get a more variety of models...Perhaps any that change would be a good idea...

mcnichoj

Smash Apprentice
Stage builder is fine for me in that I like to build small competitive stages, but it is lacking in things like music and backgrounds. Also for those who like to get crazy, more "structures" are needed.

methinkso

Smash Apprentice
Stage builder is fine for me in that I like to build small competitive stages, but it is lacking in things like music and backgrounds. Also for those who like to get crazy, more "structures" are needed.
Say what? You can select any music track in the game for your stages.

Anyways, I swear there was some talk about stage builder hacking before the US version was released, but I don't know what came of it.

S2

Smash Lord
IF anyone knows programming and wants to do this, it'd be great.

I love building stages, but its frustrating that the game's stagebuilder won't even let you customize the most basic of things... making even simple designs a pain.

Plus the backgrounds and blocks and such really have no soul to them.

Thysian

Smash Rookie
Well, one thing that has bothered me is that the block types are dependent on the background. The stages are probably stored in an array, so all the different tiles would have a different number attached to them. If you opened up the stage file and messed with the array, you could use all the different types of tiles, regardless of the background. You could also bypass having to unlock all those new tiles, and just use them from the start.

I should look into this...

methinkso

Smash Apprentice
What exactly would you do if you hacked it? Add more options to build?
It's possible to add blocks beyond the borders the game allows.

IF anyone knows programming and wants to do this, it'd be great.

I love building stages, but its frustrating that the game's stagebuilder won't even let you customize the most basic of things... making even simple designs a pain.

Plus the backgrounds and blocks and such really have no soul to them.
I wouldn't mind trying to whip up a Stage Builder program, but decrypting the custom stage files seems like it would be a pain in the *** and I doubt I'd have the time to do so this month anyways.

smurf50

Smash Rookie
this has alot of potential, i was really dissapointed at how weak the stage builder was when i got the game. it would be cool to iron out some of the lame aspects of it like how you cant grab the ledge of the slanted tiles and such

Doc_Gerbil

Smash Rookie
The stage editor has really let me down. 3 backgrounds? 3 sets of objects? Give us the whole shazam and set it at different levels of expertise: Beginner, Amateur, Expert mapper.

And you guys are right, this definitely needs to be something that can be made on the PC, because the mapping on the controller sucks. Maybe the Wiimote is better.. I haven't tried it with that.

Also, wasn't there a map maker on the Dojo website before the game was released?

majorojam

Smash Apprentice
Wow, I was about to post a thread just about this subject. Thanks for doing so ahead of time. I would personally love to alter the textures of the three stage builder sets and paint my own backgrounds.

neoREgen

Smash Journeyman
I think my biggest problem with the stage editor (aside from aesthetics) is that the blocks are approximately one character tall in height. If they would have allowed smaller blocks, we'd have a lot more options and capabilities.

Xtreme Starfox

Smash Ace
Wouldn't adding new backgrounds/music, not be possible since the stage backgrounds/music are on the brawl disc and the file just tells the game which to use? =/

mcnichoj

Smash Apprentice
Wouldn't adding new backgrounds/music, not be possible since the stage backgrounds/music are on the brawl disc and the file just tells the game which to use? =/
We could spoof it and tell the disc to read a background off the "stage file".

As for the music, yes I love Brawls music, but I also love other game music and I dislike the lack of music that fits the mountain background. The only good stuff I've used is Fire Emblem, Pikmin, BrawlMelee. I want like Final Fantasy stuff, or at least I think it would sound good.

BluMilk

Smash Apprentice

As for the music, yes I love Brawls music, but I also love other game music and I dislike the lack of music that fits the mountain background. The only good stuff I've used is Fire Emblem, Pikmin, BrawlMelee. I want like Final Fantasy stuff, or at least I think it would sound good.
blah, they use final fantasy music in EVERY user created mod.

i want some real Wario Ware music ported from the actual games and not the remade stupid crap that we have now..... Halo music would be kick-*** too.

randypanda

Smash Cadet
That would be awesome if someone could figure it out. I mean I think the stage builder is pretty cool already but it could be so cool with custom backgrounds, blocks, etc.

Xtreme Starfox

Smash Ace
This sounds very good if you can trick the game into reading other stuff thats not normally in the file, perhaps we could make our own side scrolling stages? =O

methinkso

Smash Apprentice
The only way that would be possible is if such a feature was planned from the beginning (doubtful) and the functionality was still on the disc for whatever reason.

Starizzle

Smash Apprentice
I agree the stage builder is lacking quite alot. especially backgrounds. but 1 day my mind was overfilled with creativity with the stages. so far i built 14. so really the only way to have a good time with the stage builder is imagination :].

Xtreme Starfox

Smash Ace
I'm not too imaginative I made allready about 9 and I'm out of Fun ideas. @_@ Needs more options or else I'll just be downloading other people's stages forever. XD

GamenerdAdvance

Smash Apprentice
Hey, once someone cracks the stage format, couldn't we theoretically 'ignore' the red barriers around objects? The Brawl stage builder prevents the player from putting, say, spikes in the flight path of a platform or pillars on top of one another, but if they could disable that for a PC Stage Builder...

Xtreme Starfox

Smash Ace
That could work if the game doesn't crash because its doing something it's not meant to do, it would think its placing a block on top of another? o.o

susu_atari

Smash Ace
I think this needs to be tested... I may have a mess around in a hex editor if I've got time...

There should be 3 switches for each location on the grid: Block type, size and direction.
Messing about with it, you could probably get blocks to overlap... I don't know if the game would have any kind of build check or not. Shouldn't be too hard to do, really.

This could be perfect to overlap ladders with drop-through platforms.

GreenMarth

Smash Apprentice
i think that while building stages

you should DEFINITELY be able to listen to the music that you picked for the stage!

Whos with me on that?

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
If a way to hack into Stage Builder could be found, we wouldn't have to wait for Nintendo to give us DLC (if they actually give it to us, which they probably won't) or for the next game to make our own stages. I would love to see what happens if you make a hacked stage and then send it into Nintendo. How much d'you wanna bet they wouldn't make it a daily stage, but they'd keep it for themselves? :p

orintemple

Smash Lord
i think that while building stages

you should DEFINITELY be able to listen to the music that you picked for the stage!

Whos with me on that?
Lol I was thinking about this the other day.

That would be really cool if we could do this. Although I have a feeling that would be one glitchy *** stage.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I'll marry whoever makes this happen.
Not if I marry them first. :laugh:

Also, if he could somehow get custom backgrounds in that would be the best.
That would definitely be awesome, and for stages like Hyrule Castle for N64 that we want to recreate, we can take a snapshot of the whole stage and make it the background so even though you can't have background pieces the background can show the pieces so it resembles the original stage.

Heinermann

Smash Apprentice
You could all talk theory, but there has already been a project going on.

This topic: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=142971
happens to be about cracking all of Brawl's data.

Tools and documentation links can be found at http://heinermann.kakkoister.com

Xane is already working on the PC stage builder, and from what I've seen it appears to be as good as the real stage builder (animations, sound, everything).

The only thing stopping us now is not knowing the little "checksum" for encrypted files.

Top Bottom