• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBM Controller problems

Callinater

Smash Rookie
I love melee, owned it for three years, but there is one major flaw that is starting to bother me, if you may have guessed by the title, you may be shocked.

It's the controller.

Now, it's nothing to do with the buttons. Pretty much the controller itself is as good as everyone says it is. But the one thing that grinds my gears is that cursed analog stick!!

This may not be the case for some, but this is the 3rd controller I've had to buy, and less than 6-12 months the analog stick wears off. I really don't feel like taking the controller apart.

So what can I do to keep the analog stick from coming loose?

Xyzz

Smash Champion
1. Buy a first party one, their sticks are a lot better, if you used 3rd party ones. Also some have better control sticks than others (personally i can attest to the white JP ones being vastly superior to the clear purple ones)
2. Don't flick the control stick too much, let your thumb guide it back to the middle. (It's good for some techniques, but quite harsh on the mechanic)

Last edited:

AudioSilver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3797-7513-8784
Definitely use first party controllers. If you're already using a first party controller, good luck then.

Last edited:

Callinater

Smash Rookie
1. Buy a first party one, their sticks are a lot better, if you used 3rd party ones. Also some have better control sticks than others (personally i can attest to the white JP ones being vastly superior to the clear purple ones)
2. Don't flick the control stick too much, let your thumb guide it back to the middle. (It's good for some techniques, but quite harsh on the mechanic)
I play Melee via the Wii's backwards compatibility. I use the controllers that have have a white body with a black thingie replacing the gamecube logo.
Is that third party?

Oh and another issue is, sometimes I press the grab button like 3 times and my character just shields. It's madness.

And I can't help flicking the controller. It's part of my instincts. xD Especially in a fast paced game like Melee.

Delta Chae

The Observer
I play Melee via the Wii's backwards compatibility. I use the controllers that have have a white body with a black thingie replacing the gamecube logo.
Is that third party?

Oh and another issue is, sometimes I press the grab button like 3 times and my character just shields. It's madness.

And I can't help flicking the controller. It's part of my instincts. xD Especially in a fast paced game like Melee.
I don't know what controller you're using but it's definitely not first party. Go down to GameStop and get a Smash Bros. edition Gamecube controller for $30 if you have to but never use third party controllers ever.

As far as grabbing is concerned: if you hit z while you're still in the animation of something else you'll light-shield at the first available opportunity. Just don't mash z when trying to grab, you need to time it to the endlag of whatever animation you're in.

Callinater

Smash Rookie
Can you give us a picture of your black thingie? I don’t really know what you are referring to.
The black thingie is actually just a completely black part replacing the GC logo.

A shop called Replay sells them.

Last edited:

Callinater

Smash Rookie
I don't know what controller you're using but it's definitely not first party. Go down to GameStop and get a Smash Bros. edition Gamecube controller for $30 if you have to but never use third party controllers ever.

As far as grabbing is concerned: if you hit z while you're still in the animation of something else you'll light-shield at the first available opportunity. Just don't mash z when trying to grab, you need to time it to the endlag of whatever animation you're in.
Thanks for the advice.

Kadano

Magical Express
Yeah your controller is not genuine. Every Gamecube controller not manufactured by Nintendo is horrible for Melee and will last you one day with luck. Totally not worth it—only go with original ones.

Callinater

Smash Rookie
Yeah your controller is not genuine. Every Gamecube controller not manufactured by Nintendo is horrible for Melee and will last you one day with luck. Totally not worth it—only go with original ones.
Alright. Thanks.

Top Bottom