• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBB Snapshot files. We need to crack em!

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
ZOMGZOMGZOMGZOMGZOMGZOMGZOMGZOMGZOMGZOMGZOMGZOMG **** YEAH!

I finally did it! My LZ77 decrypter decrypts LZ77 without a sweat now!

I had some issues, but I finally found out how the thing works.

**** YEAH!!!

http://www.multiverseworks.com/lz77ex.rar

Source inside.

EDIT:

Apparently most files inside the LZ77 encrypted files already have appeared in other folders. It seems that this game hasn't been optimized at all. If all files had been unpacked on the disc, properly filed, even then the disc usage would be less than what's been used now. I've already seen about three times the sticker and trophy image data. This could have been heavily optimized.

comex

Smash Rookie
OK, my Wii is now officially unable to read the SSBB disc, and packed off to Nintendo for that purpose.

In the meantime... if someone could possibly make a zip with
(a) a few identical stages, and
(b) some stages that are identical, but with one character in the title changed
(c) one other random stage

... it'd be useful for me, or anyone that is trying to figure out the checksum, I think. If anyone has the time to generate such stages, it'd be helpful, otherwise I'll make them myself in a week.

patsissons

Smash Rookie
How did you figure out the custom stage format? and also, how do you decrypt/decompress the raw bin files?

patsissons

Smash Rookie
Here is a link explaining everything.

EDIT: Word filter :O
That explains everything! oh wait, no its completely useless...

anyways, back to grownup talk. I was serious before, if the stage file format is defined as it seems to be (http://heinermann.kakkoister.com/STAGEFORMAT.txt) then that must mean that someone was able to decrypt it.

I am a software dev, so if there has been any progress on working with custom stage files I would love to get into it and start working on it myself.

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
(...)
I am a software dev, so if there has been any progress on working with custom stage files I would love to get into it and start working on it myself.
http://76.9.5.204//showthread.php?t=142971&page=48
Currently working on a stage builder, but if you have any skills in reverse engineering you could try to figure out how the checksum is being calculated.

A basic encrypter/decrypter can be found on my site:
http://xane.gamez-interactive.de/Brawl/Encrypter/
As for the compressed files, use the DeLZSS program as included here:
http://heinermann.kakkoister.com/StageTools.zip

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I've been thinking.

On the intarwebz I've read that, even though LZ77 works pretty good on big files, it actually is a slow compressing and even slower decompressing format. Maybe this is one of the factors which causes this game to load much longer than normal games.

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
Hey guys, I've been thinking.

On the intarwebz I've read that, even though LZ77 works pretty good on big files, it actually is a slow compressing and even slower decompressing format. Maybe this is one of the factors which causes this game to load much longer than normal games.
The algorithm used within the game might be faster?
I'm pretty sure~

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Well, seeing as SSBB uses the very same LZ77 compression, and seeing as my decompresser takes about ten seconds to decompress even a small encrypted file (and it's the simplest code I can imagine), it is a huge possibility.

Heinermann

Smash Apprentice
These are the MDL0 specifications for the DS: http://kiwi.ds.googlepages.com/nsbmd.html

The MDL0 for Wii is quite similar actually(and more compact). I started its format specs.
Code:
0x00	4	'MDL0'
0x04	4	block size
-------	Model

-------	Header
		0x08	4	No. of Models (+1)
		0x0C	4	TEX0 data offset (?guess?)

------- Data Section: Offset
			0x10	4	Pointer to Model Header
			(*No. of Models)

-------	Model Header
		+0x00	4	Size of Model Header
		+0x04	4	No. of Objects
		+0x08	4	0xFFFF0000
		+0x0A	2	Unknown
		+0x0C	2	Unknown
		+0x10	10	Unknown

------- Object
			+0x00	2	Unknown
			+0x02	2	Unknown
			+0x04	2	Unknown
			+0x06	2	Unknown
			+0x08	4	Pointer to Object Name (?guess?)
			+0x10	4	Pointer to Object Data (From Model Header)
EDIT: (apr 13)

I crashed brawl for teh lulz: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9fjJBZ9Q8Y

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Yeah, I always freak out when I'm about to start a big project. It's the reason why I haven't finished nearly 75% of all my projects, and a reason why I only just figured out all of the password system of Animal Crossing. For example, just a few days ago I was going to work on an point-and-click adventure engine which only requires an interpreter to run, so that I or someone could make a port for it for ScummVM, but only after just planning out the different file formats I figured out that the way I wanted to compile each data would take too long to load before you can actually play the game with my expertise of coding (notice the sarcasm on the "expertise" part).

So, in short, I'm still planning, but I easily get distracted.

EDIT:

TPL Converter v.0.6

Also the last one to use the GD Library, seeing as it doesn't use the full alpha range. Effin' ****ers.

EDIT2:

I've taken a look at the MDL0 file (FitCaptain01.mdl0) at the model headers, and so far, you've been right with at least the first three parts, as well as the model header pointers.

Anyway, I've analyzed the model headers a bit, and this is what I've got:

Code:
0x00    LWRD    Size of header
0x04    LWRD    Number of objects
0x08    ????    Unknown

0x10    BLCK    Object header (?)
At 0x10 I've noticed that there are exactly <number of objects> items with the size of 16 bytes. I'm further investigating it.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
I have an awful suspicion...

I've just looked at the Super Smash Bros. Melee model format, and it could be that both Brawl and Melee are the same in format. Hence the hidden and removed "classic" trophy preview images.

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
Still much to do, but anyway~

foolmasterz

Smash Apprentice
How do you post pictures on the boards? I've got them saved to my computer, but i can't seem to find a way to get them into a post.

Crashdance22

Smash Rookie
Still much to do, but anyway~

Not to be off-topic here, but how can I get your stage builder? This is an application that can build stage files for use in SSBB, right? I found the rar on your Web Explorer site, but I need a password to extract the file. Is this not released to the public yet?

Back on-topic... I didn't think there was a possible way to convert screenshots until now. Now I can post them on my forums. :) Now would it be possible to convert 640x480 images to bin format to view on the Wii?

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
I have a quick question.

I know very little about this kinda stuff, but it does interest me and I like to mess around with it and see what I can figure out. I'm trying to use the lz77 extractor to extract the file char_bust_tex_lz77.pac (just for testing purposes), but it always crashes a couple of seconds after I try to extract the file.

Am I suppose to extract the .pac, or the .bin files that come out of the .pac? Does it matter if I run the program by dropping the files on it or by the command prompt (I've tried both)? I'm running Vista if it makes a difference. I'm probably just making some stupid little mistake, but I was hoping someone could help me out.

Thanks.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Just drop the extracted bin files in the LZ77 Extractor. The .out files should then be renamed to BRRES. Basically they're the same files as in menu/common/com_bust_tex, only LZ77 compressed and packed inside the PAC file.

Just keep in mind that as long as the regular SSBBExtract can extract the files, you should just use that. When that doesn't work, try LZ77.

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
Not to be off-topic here, but how can I get your stage builder? This is an application that can build stage files for use in SSBB, right? I found the rar on your Web Explorer site, but I need a password to extract the file. Is this not released to the public yet?

Back on-topic... I didn't think there was a possible way to convert screenshots until now. Now I can post them on my forums. :) Now would it be possible to convert 640x480 images to bin format to view on the Wii?
Yea, it's currently not available to the public~

Well, everything might be possible after someone finally finds out how the checksum is being calculated. Fingers still crossed.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Just drop the extracted bin files in the LZ77 Extractor. The .out files should then be renamed to BRRES. Basically they're the same files as in menu/common/com_bust_tex, only LZ77 compressed and packed inside the PAC file.

Just keep in mind that as long as the regular SSBBExtract can extract the files, you should just use that. When that doesn't work, try LZ77.
Hmm, that's exactly what I've done, but when it starts it will only run for a couple seconds, say extracting, then crash with a "the program has encountered a problem and needs to close" message.

Girrrtacos

Smash Rookie
Extracted "Stage\Melee\STGMARIOPAST_01.PAC"

Opened extracted folder

Dragged "001.Bin" to "lz77ex.exe"

"Processing data
Opening ***\001.Bin
Creating ***\001.Bin.out
Files opened successfully!
"

Renamed "001.Bin.out" to "0011.Brres"

Dragged "0011.Brres" to "SSBExtract.exe"

"***\0011.Brres

Filesize: 25318 bytes
File format: ARC
Size: 503168 @ 68
File size invalid! Press any key to continue . . .
"

...It didn't work :(

Heinermann

Smash Apprentice

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Extracted "Stage\Melee\STGMARIOPAST_01.PAC"

Opened extracted folder

Dragged "001.Bin" to "lz77ex.exe"

"Processing data
Opening ***\001.Bin
Creating ***\001.Bin.out
Files opened successfully!
"

Renamed "001.Bin.out" to "0011.Brres"

Dragged "0011.Brres" to "SSBExtract.exe"

"***\0011.Brres

Filesize: 25318 bytes
File format: ARC
Size: 503168 @ 68
File size invalid! Press any key to continue . . .
"

...It didn't work :(
Some files are BRRES files, som are PAC files. You need to figure out what format the file itself is, by looking at the header trough the HEX editor.

Girrrtacos

Smash Rookie
Some files are BRRES files, som are PAC files. You need to figure out what format the file itself is, by looking at the header trough the HEX editor.
If you open it up in Notepad, one of the first thing it says is "ARC" and "bres".

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
That's because the BRRES file is packed inside the PAC file. You first need to look at the header, which is always the first part. Not somewhere midway.

In this case it said ARC, which means it's an ARC file, or in most cases of SSBB, PAC file.

By the way, Heinermann, if you want you can use the source code to implement it in the SSBB Extractor itself, so that you wouldn't need separate programs. Maybe you could even optimize the code. I myself will occasionally work on the model formats, but I'm most probably either game modding or working on my adventure game engine.

Heinermann

Smash Apprentice
No problem. I've been focusing on the remaining unknowns in the archive files and Stage/Replay formats, and I've copied the visable data structures from the Brawl executable.

I also want to document the BRSAR format first, and compare Brawl string formatting data with Melee string formatting data.

lampiaio

Smash Cadet
NNID
jp_lampi
Hi! I have a question about the Custom Stage format.
Is it possible to directly edit a custom stage file to overcome the limitations from the in-game editor (such as actually placing something in the blank squares around some pieces)?

Thanks for the attention :)

Heinermann

Smash Apprentice
In theory, yes.

EDIT: Ok. The stage strings use 16-bit unicode characters. The "FF xx" is for "full width" letters.

Crashdance22

Smash Rookie
Hi! I have a question about the Custom Stage format.
Is it possible to directly edit a custom stage file to overcome the limitations from the in-game editor (such as actually placing something in the blank squares around some pieces)?

Thanks for the attention :)
I meant to ask this as well, but it never stuck to my mind. It seems that this should be possible if the game reads the file as it is, rather than applying limitations after reading the file (number of objects, positions, etc). I'm guessing it will go by what the file says, considering the editor is only designed to read what it created and nothing more.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
The only possible solution is to find a PC with at most Vista 32-bit. You're probably running on a 64-bit system. I'm not sure whether or not my program crashes on a 64-bit system, but that's most likely it for most programs compiled under 32-bit.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
How would I do that?

If I right-click and use "Run as Administrator" it will just open and close because there's no file. If I drag a file to it theres no option and it will crash. If I run it in command prompt it already says Administrator as the user.

Thanks for your patience and assistance.

Top Bottom