• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBB Snapshot files. We need to crack em!

GTCoder

Smash Apprentice
Some people were already claiming to be able to burn Brawl discs, complete with modifications allowing any character to have any moveset, and also a rumor that it even worked online.

If that's true, that, maybe even more than the inevitable piracy (sigh), ticks me off. There's nothing like a fun online game that immediately gets (see Days of Ruin, Pokemon Battle Revolution) populated by hackers, who half-ruin the random online part.

Kakkoii

Smash Apprentice
Some people were already claiming to be able to burn Brawl discs, complete with modifications allowing any character to have any moveset, and also a rumor that it even worked online.

If that's true, that, maybe even more than the inevitable piracy (sigh), ticks me off. There's nothing like a fun online game that immediately gets (see Days of Ruin, Pokemon Battle Revolution) populated by hackers, who half-ruin the random online part.
I'm sure Nintendo could stop the use of it online by merely doing a file size/name/etc mismatch test when a person plays online.

If the character data doesn't add up perfectly then there not aloud online.

And at official tournaments your not aloud to use your own disc, so there's no problem for that situation.

Just the anonymous online play, which hopefully if this is true, that Nintendo will take note and actually do something about it.

Like one way would be...
Code:
 Player A goes into a match with anonymous online Player B.

Player A chooses Ganondorf.
Battle starts....

Ganondorf starts sucking people up like kirby, while using Ness's PK moves lol.
Server notices....

Player A is now banned from the server.

Indignant

Smash Journeyman
Could you guys give a quick description of what you have done since you finished the picture decoder please? I'm interested to know, but slogging back through 30ish pages filled with techno-language I do not currently understand is a little intimidating.

GTCoder

Smash Apprentice
Could you guys give a quick description of what you have done since you finished the picture decoder please? I'm interested to know, but slogging back through 30ish pages filled with techno-language I do not currently understand is a little intimidating.
Some other people made some utilities to look at stage data and describe stages. One or two guys are working on a stage editor I think.

There's often an online picture converter.

Sairou

Smash Journeyman
Hold the phone. People are talking about being able to edit characters movesets? Lolol while I'm not too interested in that matter, it does rise my interest in character skins to be changeable. Maybe even adding your own custom color swaps and whatnot. Any news of this possibly or would it be possible at all? =D

Kakkoii

Smash Apprentice
Read the first page of this topic

Kakkoii

Smash Apprentice
Hold the phone. People are talking about being able to edit characters movesets? Lolol while I'm not too interested in that matter, it does rise my interest in character skins to be changeable. Maybe even adding your own custom color swaps and whatnot. Any news of this possibly or would it be possible at all? =D
Well yes it would be possible if you just wanted to create a different skin.

Sairou

Smash Journeyman
Well yes it would be possible if you just wanted to create a different skin.
Nice, lol, if somebody made a Leon (RE4) skin to go along as an extra or replacement of one of Snake's costumes, that'd be krazy. =]

EDIT: I could think of tons of nice extra skin ideas for people to add now!! =D Making list to add to this thread just in case the idea ever sees light. =]

EDIT 2: K here's my list so far. Some of these seem pretty feesible for they have models in game in which can be used already. =D

Mario:
Tanooki Mario
Frog Mario

Yoshi:
Boshi
White Yoshi
Black Yoshi

Donkey Kong:
Funky Kong
King K.Rool

Diddy Kong:
Dixie Kong

Luigi:
Mr. L

Peach:
Rosalina

Link:
Fierce Deity Link

Captain Falcon:
Black Shadow

Falco:
Peppy

Fox:
Slippy

WW Link:
WW Zelda

Marth:
Roy
Lyn

Pokemon Trainer:
Rival Pokemon Trainer if possible.

Pikachu:
Raichu

Lucario:
Mewtwo

Wario:
Waluigi

Pit:
Ridley

More to add on soon. =D

GTCoder

Smash Apprentice
Reviewing my rusty Win32 knowledge, I almost have a Windows GUI with multiple file selection ready. I'll try to finish that, and check about resizing, tomorrow (i.e. later today) if I have time.

Sairou

Smash Journeyman
Reviewing my rusty Win32 knowledge, I almost have a Windows GUI with multiple file selection ready. I'll try to finish that, and check about resizing, tomorrow (i.e. later today) if I have time.
Nice, thanks for the hardwork!! =D

Rebound

Smash Rookie
It is possible to edit movesets, some poeple have given Roy MArth's attacks and others are claiming to be able to give sonic a shadow skin from the AT

Sairou

Smash Journeyman
It is possible to edit movesets, some poeple have given Roy MArth's attacks and others are claiming to be able to give sonic a shadow skin from the AT
Ohh nice. Lol but what is this about Roy getting Marth's attacks when he's not a selectable character? The Shadow skin interests me though. How do you go on about doing that? =D

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Skins are the images over the character meshes (The 3D part) that give detail.

You couldn't change Marth into Lyn just by changing the skin.

celebi23

Smash Cadet
Ok, thanks to Heinermann's SSBExtract tool & the TPL extractor, I think I've accounted for the "Forbidden 7's" missing texture files

Missing Texture Files

Menu/common/CharaFaceTex_ja.brres/Textures(NW4R) &

Menu/adventure/selchrcd_common_ja.brres/Textures(NW4R)/ contain almost exact texture files

The MenSelchrChrFace files are the small images used on the actual selection screen, like this image below

MenSelchrChrFace047.tga

MenSelchrChrFace.036.TEX0
MenSelchrChrFace.040.TEX0
MenSelchrChrFace.043.TEX0
MenSelchrChrFace.045.TEX0
MenSelchrChrFace.048.TEX0
MenSelchrChrFace.049.TEX0
MenSelchrChrFace.050.TEX0

MenSelchrChrNmS.021.TEX0
MenSelchrChrNmS.036.TEX0
MenSelchrChrNmS.039.TEX0
MenSelchrChrNmS.040.TEX0
MenSelchrChrNmS.043.TEX0
MenSelchrChrNmS.045.TEX0

Oh, the "MenSelchrChrNmS" files are the names of the characters, like this file:
MenSelchrChrNmS.047.tga

MenSelchrChrFace.051.TEX0 is the texture for the "Random" button so, it is safe to assume that there are missing textures from 48-50.

MenSelchrChrFace.051.TEX0 is present in the Menu/common/CharaFaceTex_ja.brres/Textures(NW4R) directory

Menu/adventure/comer_tex/
(These .brress files contain MenSelchrChrFace as well)

tex_face021.brres
tex_face036.brres
tex_face039.brres
tex_face040.brres
tex_face043.brres
tex_face045.brres

Menu/common/char_bust_tex
These are the full character art images, with the various different palettes, like this image here

MenSelchrFaceB200.brres
MenSelchrFaceB350.brres
MenSelchrFaceB380.brres
MenSelchrFaceB390.brres
MenSelchrFaceB420.brres
MenSelchrFaceB440.brres

So, similarly to the missing music, they just removed them without renaming them. Time to take a break for a bit :laugh: Oh & in response to simguy20652's post from here: http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=3979998&postcount=340 There are 47 menu character select images but, none of them are the "Forbidden 7"

Here are the images from MenSelchrChrFace http://www.mediafire.com/?tbzfjk2mmly

Hope this info helps somehow.

Heinermann

Smash Apprentice
Unlikely. I'll believe it when I see it. First of all, characters cannot use other move sets. Such sets like Ganondorf trying to use Yoshi's B move would crash the game. Additionally, even if it were possible, such modifications would desync the user from the game, setting themselves up for epic failure. :p

GTCoder, do you have MSN or AIM?

Here are the images from MenSelchrChrFace http://www.mediafire.com/?mnhbkwmjz9e
The zip won't extract:?

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
For PAC files, it creates a folder in the main account folder (c:\Documents and Settings\<your account name>) instead of the folder the original packed file is. Further more, since the folder isn't "present", it won't unpack the folder, unless I already make the folder in advance.

Also, assuming the PLT0 files are the (compressed) palette files, now can we apply said palette to their respective textures?

Sairou

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, for changing character skins, would I be able to do this with just an SD card, or would I need to make a burned version of my japanese disc and get a modded wii? =O

Heinermann

Smash Apprentice
For PAC files, it creates a folder in the main account folder (c:\Documents and Settings\<your account name>) instead of the folder the original packed file is. Further more, since the folder isn't "present", it won't unpack the folder, unless I already make the folder in advance.
How are you executing it?

Sairou

Smash Journeyman
lol will people still be posting here now that it's in an unpopulated section of the board? =P still curious as to how I can change the skins of my characters by the way. =]

Heinermann

Smash Apprentice
You're not going to be. It's for viewing purposes only.

Actually it was for extracting Stage Editor media, which has been really helpful. :)

OK. I'm going to rewrite the brres extraction portion to merge the Palette and Texture data, since I was able to do it manually and get it working on the first try, as well as automatically convert to TPL.

Kakkoii

Smash Apprentice
lol will people still be posting here now that it's in an unpopulated section of the board? =P still curious as to how I can change the skins of my characters by the way. =]
Most people don't be able to change there skin. You will NEVER be able to do it by SD.

The only way, Is to be able to obtain an ISO on your computer of the Dual Layer brawl disc. Then have the technological knowhow to do something like editing a disc Iso and changing textures around the right way. THEN you need to know how to recompile everything and resign the Wii disc.

Then have a DVD-DL Burner to burn said game.

So forget about it. Only the hardcore brawl fans/coders will be doing it. IF it is even possible right now.

Sairou

Smash Journeyman
Most people don't be able to change there skin. You will NEVER be able to do it by SD.

The only way, Is to be able to obtain an ISO on your computer of the Dual Layer brawl disc. Then have the technological knowhow to do something like editing a disc Iso and changing textures around the right way. THEN you need to know how to recompile everything and resign the Wii disc.

Then have a DVD-DL Burner to burn said game.

So forget about it. Only the hardcore brawl fans/coders will be doing it. IF it is even possible right now.
Lol well at least it's possible. xD On that note *hopes that action replay for wii allows you to be able to play ATs or bosses somehow* There's nothing wrong with hoping for that, right? =D

Kakkoii

Smash Apprentice
Lol well at least it's possible. xD On that note *hopes that action replay for wii allows you to be able to play ATs or bosses somehow* There's nothing wrong with hoping for that, right? =D
Action replay can't do that.

NOTHING can do it other then actually going and editing a copy of the disc and burning it.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
How are you executing it?
By double clicking the PAC file, then running SSBExtract (which has the same effect or should have the same effect as assigning PAC files to SSBExtract).

Not that it matters a lot though.

Kakkoii

Smash Apprentice
thanks, now it's working.
BTW: is VLC media player able to play thp video files? if not, do you know which one does?
I've uploaded the THP video player onto the directory now also. It's there to download.

Download, Pull the folder out of there and place it on your compute. And inside that program click thpplay.exe

Then drag a movie file into the window that opened up, and the video starts playing.

(Here's a tip:
Right click on a THP video.
Click Open.
Click Select program from a list
Click Browse
Find the thpplay.exe, click on it and click OK.)

Now anytime you double click a THP video, it will open with that player. Much easier.

Kakkoii

Smash Apprentice
You could play as Giga Bowser, Sandbag, and as any character using someone else's moveset in Melee using Action Replay.
I've never heard of that being done with Action Replay..

Maybe swapping discs using action replay to use a fake disc, then yeah.

But merely using Action replay, I don't see how it would be possible.

But if you can, show me some proof.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
I've never heard of that being done with Action Replay..

Maybe swapping discs using action replay to use a fake disc, then yeah.

But merely using Action replay, I don't see how it would be possible.

But if you can, show me some proof.
It's called moveset swapping, and it's generally only possible with characters that already have their skeletons set. So no AT or Pokémon swaps.

Heinermann

Smash Apprentice
It's called the modification of the character ID to play as a different one (one that does not appear in the character selection screen). You're using character independent movesets that belong to that character ID. Ex: Sandbag = Sandbag movesets.

EDIT:
Updated.
http://www.mediafire.com/?yxbfxyg9ysd

Now when extracting BRRES files, it automatically maps palettes to texture files and converts them to TPL format. This basically adds support for 0x08 and 0x09 types of textures and adds ease of use.

My to-do list:
- Find a connection between the Stage Editor tiles on the ISO disc and the Stage Editor Tile IDs in a custom stage file.
- Find relations with MDL format to other formats.
- Re-convert all Stage Editor media for Xane.
- Re-write that BRSAR extractor tool (this archive can contain other files than sounds).
- Take a look at the LZ77 compressed files again.

Still wondering about the bug some users are having. What OS are you guys using when running the program?

Xane

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XaneFeather
3DS FC
3866-8124-2065
If so.. I'll just need the textures of all the standard blocks and only screenshots of the elements, since they're more complex geometry.
If anyone else can help me providing screenshots of blocks or elements, I'd really appreciate it.

Kakkoii

Smash Apprentice
It's called the modification of the character ID to play as a different one (one that does not appear in the character selection screen). You're using character independent movesets that belong to that character ID. Ex: Sandbag = Sandbag movesets.

EDIT:
Still wondering about the bug some users are having. What OS are you guys using when running the program?
For the private user issue.

I'm running Windows XP with Service Pack 3.

Kakkoii

Smash Apprentice

EDIT:
Updated.
http://www.mediafire.com/?yxbfxyg9ysd

Now when extracting BRRES files, it automatically maps palettes to texture files and converts them to TPL format. This basically adds support for 0x08 and 0x09 types of textures and adds ease of use.

My to-do list:
- Find a connection between the Stage Editor tiles on the ISO disc and the Stage Editor Tile IDs in a custom stage file.
- Find relations with MDL format to other formats.
- Re-convert all Stage Editor media for Xane.
- Re-write that BRSAR extractor tool (this archive can contain other files than sounds).
- Take a look at the LZ77 compressed files again.

Yeah, Look what I just found lol.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Moveset Swapping - Part 1
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8ZDgjjDnWLM

omfg,, go to near the end of part 3
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iuLHui7omLQ&feature=user

Swapping character movesets changes the way the characters model structures are also. And Peach is seriously priceless.

Top Bottom