• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBB Release Date: Japan + Import

chlor0form

Smash Journeyman
This came across my mind and I'm wondering if anybody is actually going to pay extra to possibly have expedited shipping to North America. People should be able to eBay in a copy of Brawl from Japan as early as November 22nd. This could mean you have a copy in your hands, before the actual release date?

Please post your thoughts.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
first off, I HIGHLY doubt nov 22 is the release date in japan. like I said before, if it aint on the official site, it aint true.

second, the wii isn't region free. there wont be a wii freeloader, due to constant wii updates. so if you want to import, your going to have to buy a japanese wii. which most of us wont do. so eh.

Card

Smash Lord
You won't be able to play an Imported Smash Brawl on a North American Wii, so that sort of defeats the purpose.

But if you have yourself a Japanese Wii and you live here, by all means go ahead and Import. Chances are all the secrets and hidden unlockables will be revealed 1 or 2 days after the Japanese release anyways.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
first off, I HIGHLY doubt nov 22 is the release date in japan. like I said before, if it aint on the official site, it aint true.

second, the wii isn't region free. there wont be a wii freeloader, due to constant wii updates. so if you want to import, your going to have to buy a japanese wii. which most of us wont do. so eh.
Actually Datel is working on a wii freeloader. The GC freeloader never worked with the Wii in the first place.

Revven

FrankerZ
Oh so I guess Solid Snake isn't a character in the game after all then. :p

Going by the release date for Melee in Japan, it released November 21st. SSBM released for us Dec. 3. Draw the connections from here to there and the release date of November 22nd is in fact as truthful as one could get. Stop deluding yourself with "lulz its nawt on da brwl cite therfaor it ain't true!111111!11!!" Snake isn't on there, does that mean he isn't in the game? Hell no.

Expect the release date to be November 22nd, no ifs, ands, or buts.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
Ugh wait...the Japanese are MOST LIKELY getting Brawl before the North Americans...so that means I have to leave Smash Boards even BEFORE December 3rd?

I'm guessing members on SWF will find Japanese blogs and websites revealing all the characters and whatnot, and find a way to translate them.

I'm not visiting SWF from December 3rd until I unlock most characters to avoid spoilers...but if the Japanese get it first (which they most likely will), I'll have to leave sooner. Man why didn't I think of this?

D

Deleted member

I'm European, so obviously I'm gonna be ****changed again.

Aw well, if I got round to importing, it would probably refuse to download EU updates onto the US game, or something.

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
I'm European, so obviously I'm gonna be ****changed again.

Aw well, if I got round to importing, it would probably refuse to download EU updates onto the US game, or something.
I'm in England - Melee was released in Europe May 24th, and if the Brawl release dates are following the pattern...err...EEK!
I pray that the delay was purely because of the delayed Gamecube launch...fingers crossed. I will not be importing, I will just wait. It will be a hard wait, but Halo 3 will help.

Eaode

Smash Champion
IIRC, Japan and North America have the same region coding. They share the NTSC status. So doesn't that mean we should be able to import from Japan and be able to play it? I;m pretty sure both regions had the other's languages on the same disc for melee anyway.

Am I right?

wordman

Smash Apprentice
If japan gets it earlier i will import with a vengeance with everything i need to play action replay or etc.

Sonink

Smash Journeyman
IIRC, Japan and North America have the same region coding. They share the NTSC status. So doesn't that mean we should be able to import from Japan and be able to play it? I;m pretty sure both regions had the other's languages on the same disc for melee anyway.

Am I right?
Not quite...

Asia has NTSC-J and North America has NTSC U/C.

TriforceJ

Smash Apprentice
Even if the Nov. 22 Japanese release is true, it's just eleven days for it to be released in the U.S., and I can wait eleven days.

Anyone who can't wait just eleven days seriously needs to learn the true meaning of patience.

Besides, I already have a completely-paid-off pre-order at the Gamestop near where I live, so whatever.

greenlink

Smash Apprentice
As i have already pointed out on another thread amazon.co.uk and some other sites all say 26th-28th of October 2007 for pal release date. soooooooo... cheer up :)

In touch with the wii

Smash Cadet
the problem with this is the encoding takes too long in europe i hate it because everu good game except strikers comes late or is delayed it really sucks im gonna get the wii freeloader and import from japan

RokkuManZer0

Smash Apprentice
Encoding? The problem is Nintendo of Europe's laziness. They take too long to translate a game that shouldn't take that long to translate. This is even more true if that game is a console seller like Brawl.

They should try to make it come out by Christmas' season... but no, we get a 2008 release. Which brings me to this question: How many GREAT games have you seen come out in January/February? Most BIG releases for the GC came out in November (Eternal Darkness; Super Mario Sunshine) /December (Starfox;Pikmin) /March (Metroid Prime) /May (GC's launch; The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker; Super Smash Bros. Melee). This brings me to my next statement: Brawl will probably come out sometime around March.

I hope to the heavens I'm wrong, but I do think it's the most likely. We europeans get screwed again. And you know one of the big reasons the Wii has region lock? Nintendo of Europe asked for it, because if it happened otherwise their sales would drop a lot. :)

VanillaMummy

Smash Journeyman
Do they translate it in every European language for the European releases? (Sorry, I'm an ignorant American)

Anyways, if people can't wait a couple more days and they need to go through all this trouble (and possibly be scammed) then it's kinda sad. Just wait for the game people, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait (you've already waited for years).

greenlink

Smash Apprentice
They should try to make it come out by Christmas' season... but no, we get a 2008 release. Which brings me to this question: How many GREAT games have you seen come out in January/February? Most BIG releases for the GC came out in November (Eternal Darkness; Super Mario Sunshine) /December (Starfox;Pikmin) /March (Metroid Prime) /May (GC's launch; The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker; Super Smash Bros. Melee). This brings me to my next statement: Brawl will probably come out sometime around March.

I hope to the heavens I'm wrong, but I do think it's the most likely. We europeans get screwed again. And you know one of the big reasons the Wii has region lock? Nintendo of Europe asked for it, because if it happened otherwise their sales would drop a lot. :)
I refer you to my post about 4/5 above yours

Crayola

Smash Cadet
I'm praying that a Freeloader will be released for Wii between now and December, as I'm one of the unlucky Europeans >_>

The likelihood of that happening? Er...

RokkuManZer0

Smash Apprentice
I refer you to my post about 4/5 above yours
You think that launch date is true? Even NoE has released a list of European launches and Brawl was 2008 TBA. So it's too early to chill out. :)

Crayola: We can only pray. XD But I wonder how will the online be. Will it be worldwide or will it be continental? You can't really play SSB worldwide in my opinion. It'd lag quite a bit.

VanillaMummy: They translate it into french, spanish, italian and german. So it's 5 languages total. It shouldn't take this long to trasnlate but it's NoE... We're used to it.

We're gonna get Galaxy soon after it's USA launch though. But I don't want Galaxy, I want Brawl. It's the game that's gonna make my buy a Wii. xD

Didn't Melee's USA version come out with a Japanese/English language option?

lumpey

Smash Rookie
If i remember correctly, the Japanese SSBM when it was released could change language into english, in the options...thats what my friend and me did in Taiwan. (taiwan=japanese GC japanese game, so japanese SSBM) so yea, jp-brawl maybe will have english option too...
but i dont know if the english option was there since it was first released or if it was added later i'm pretty sure there was a language option though...

anyway i live in France, but i bought a wii in japan (summer vacation), and since the tv i have in france is a very recent expensive plasma SONY TV, I can play jp-wii on it YAAAAY...and i know an import shop where i live so ill have brawl whenever it comes out in Japan...maybe i wont be there though..lol

although guys, its just 11 days (IF, it comes out the 22th-nov in japan), you can wait..prolly...

as for european smashers...COME TO MY HOUSE IN LYON!!! jk its too small....:grin:

yea, as u can see i travel a lot...right now im in california lol but who cares...

Top Bottom