• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBB is NOT on the MLG 09 Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Has anyone considered how short a brawl match can be? 5 stock with two pros takes around 5 minutes at the most, I doubt that 3 stock will be any longer >_>. At least with halo, you can have 50 kills and at least a 5 minute match with some nice strategy going around.

I still don't see why mlg is using their money to advertise on swf when they didn't even include brawl in their circut ?_?...

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Has anyone considered how short a brawl match can be? 5 stock with two pros takes around 5 minutes at the most, I doubt that 3 stock will be any longer >_>. At least with halo, you can have 50 kills and at least a 5 minute match with some nice strategy going around.

I still don't see why mlg is using their money to advertise on swf when they didn't even include brawl in their circut ?_?...
A 3 stock match usually lasts like 5-7 minutes at least. A 5 stock match would last 3 years in Brawl, I'd imagine.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
You get ads? I'm using Internet Explorer, and even I have no ads.
I actually had ads until I switched to Classic Blue. I don't know if it's just coincidence or ads aren't configured for this style...

Woah. Yeah, if I switch it to Revolution, There are like, four ads at the top and one ad after the first post on each page.

A 3 stock match usually lasts like 5-7 minutes at least. A 5 stock match would last 3 years in Brawl, I'd imagine.
Yes. And 1.5 years of that would just be waiting for people to land.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
I guess I was playing a 5 stock match while watching a 3 stock match, not the other way around >.<. Anyway, I guess MLG didn't want to see combos, KOs and, well, anything related to brawl ._., go figure.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
No, MLG owns Smashboards

Also, lemme just add my .02 right quick.

I used to play competative Melee, but after the MLG days. I'm very good at competative Brawl, which does have depth, just less than Melee. I personally think Melee is a better game, but I'm better at and enjoy Brawl more. Every time I talk about Brawl, I don't emphasis it's popularity over melee. Every time I talk about Melee, I don't feel compelled to compare it to Brawl. As a lover of both games, I would appreciate it if the communities didn't bash each other. After all, you're both still part of the grander smash community. Chances are, if Smash 4 comes out, and it's any good, you'll all be playing together again anyway. Brawl is a fine game, please let me play it without me having to read communal insults about it everywhere I go.

Secondly, I don't play competative shooters. I'm actually not really a big fan of shooters, as I grew up in NYC (not the nicest parts) and I know quite a few people that have been shot and killed. I don't really enjoy the concept of shooting games, though I don't bash people who have never seen a gun in person aside from perhaps on a police officer's side in it's holster. That being said, can we please stop bashing people that play the games they enjoy? It's very hypocritical, especially of Brawl players, to bash Halo and other shooters, when you dislike getting bashed by Melee players, and other fighting communities.

tl;dr: sorry for being such a softie, but seriously, why can't we all just get along?

Now, for the real point of this message. The fact is, we can speculate and curse Sakurai and MLG all day, but none of you know for sure the real reason why Brawl isn't on the circuit. Furthermore, all the bashing in this thread is very counter productive. Going on MLG's main site and putting your voice out, boycotting MLG products, mailing MLG representatives IRL, continuing to survive as a popular competative community, going out and drawing in new players: these are the things that will get us on a sponsered circuit. Flaming this thread is burning the little chance we have left.

For those that don't care, that's fine. There are those of us that do care. Please don't be cruel, rude, and vindictive just because your game is no longer played competatively on a wide-scale level. People that play Brawl aren't stopping people from playing Melee, and MOST of us don't bash you. Some of us (like myself) accept Melee as a superior game that we just suck at, and don't have the time, interest, or community to put effort into. Please, hold your comments to yourself.

If you really care, do something SMART about it.

Also, I honestly think the Brawl community is large enough to start it's own competative circuit if we play our cards right. There are thousands of us, and we all are growing people, many of us young adults, and many of us with connections. There are a couple of key actions we could take to start our own circuit.

A) Reach out to other fighting game communities. Sure, maybe the Soul Caliber community doesn't like us now, but I'd bet my bottom dollar there are a few people that would lend an ear to anyone talking about hosting sponsored SC tournaments. Having well organized mass events doesn't always require a company like EVO or MLG if we have the right people working together, and enough VOLUNTEERS to get started. Talking to under represented fighting game and shooting game (and puzzle game) communities and uniting our efforts MAKES US BIG enough to do our own thing. I will be starting a social group after this post to get anyone interested in helping me make this happen organized. It obviously won't kick off right away; I'm only 17 and still in high school. I turn 18 in March though, and I'll be on vacation in the summer, and I'm willing to take matters into my own hands and make the next step. I can't do it alone though. I'm ready, are you?

B) Unite the darned smash community together again! I mean, seriously people, we will destroy each other at the rate we are burning each other with flames. If we were to organize each other, seriously consider one another, and respect each other, and the others' preference of game, perhaps many people would find themselves enjoying both games, and both games could flourish SIMULTANEOUSLY. It only can't happen IF YOU SAY it can't happen. Nothing is actually stopping it from happening but you.

C) Organize our leaders to actually REPRESENT THE COMMUNITY. No offense to anyone in the SBR, but basically, my entire experience in the smash community has been, "The SBR is there, it's always been there, it's taken hold of power, and it's getting passed down in a monarchical manor." I very much like the concept of the SBR, but as it stands now, the group is almost clashing with the population like an expired monarch. I respect many members in the SBR, but it's time to face the facts. SBR was created in Melee days, and early Melee days at that. Even thought the purge occurred, it was orchestrated by MLG, who is apparently not even supporting us anymore. There are still many disputes about questionable members in the SBR, and some of the policies they produce.

D) Play Wifi.

Just kidding.

The real D) We NEED a UNIFORMED ruleset to help the uniformity of the community grow. If I'm playing with only "legit stages" on, and there are regions playing with Port Town, Norfair, and Jungle Japes, though we might be playing the same game, we're having totally different competitions. I think the best and simplest way to compromise is granting more personal bans. Turn on most of the stages in conflict (Pictochat, Japes, PS2, and Norfair), and grant both players more bans. This merely results in players simply fighting on stages they both seem to agree on, similar to the stage striking system we've adapted (allow both players to alternate striking neutrals until there is one left, and play on it for R1). Either this, or we can eliminate all of the disputed stages. Seriously, I don't understand why anyone would have a significant problem with Norfair off. Some people think Norfair can provide a more random and uncontrollable game changing element. This is a stronger argument than people who simply think "You're wrong". The consequences of them being right are much more significant than the consequence of them being wrong. If the stage is off and they're right, we don't get owned by a stage. If the stage is off and they're wrong, we merely lose one viable stage, and still have other options to choose from. You can still play on that stage with your friends, and even in money matches with people that agree with you. For the sake of fairness, it's safer just to turn conflict stages off.

I'm pretty much done here, but for those of you that think Brawl isn't fast or fun to watch, rofl. You're watching the wrong people. When I fight R00kie, it's fast and fun. Melee status? Not really, sometimes though. It's still pretty hot though.

Anyway, just dropping my two coppers on the table. Hit me up in my new open social group called 'Competative Circuit Organization' (CCO for short), if you're interested/want to talk to me more.

LLDL

Smash Hero
wow, cry me a river. If Melee isn't on the circuit anymore, which is a game where "Pro" part of the circuit was actually legit, what makes you think they'd put Brawl on, a game with no exponential value? Lol!

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
Also Halo has a larger fanbase. and Brawl is boring as hell to watch. I honestly wonder if Melee would still be in the MLG circuit if Brawl was never released. Same with EVO. Because other then Brawl being boring to watch doesn't smash have one of the best competitive scene's out there?
i belive melee had the 2nd biggest tournament circuit (next to halo 2)
its still huge but i dont know if its still really big

Fletch

Smash Master
I'm pretty much done here, but for those of you that think Brawl isn't fast or fun to watch, rofl. You're watching the wrong people. When I fight R00kie, it's fast and fun. Melee status? Not really, sometimes though. It's still pretty hot though.
I like a majority of your post, but come the hell on at this. I've watched all the best pros play this game, and it puts me to sleep. It is nowhere near Melee status ever, don't kid yourself.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I like a majority of your post, but come the hell on at this. I've watched all the best pros play this game, and it puts me to sleep. It is nowhere near Melee status ever, don't kid yourself.
He never said it was near Melee status. He said there are still people who are entertaining to watch. And he's right. There aren't many entertaining playstyles in Brawl, but there are some that are not only fun to watch, but good. Ninjalink's Diddy, Ally's Snake and MyRoboticClaw's ZSS among them.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
No, MLG owns Smashboards

Also, lemme just add my .02 right quick.

I used to play competative Melee, but after the MLG days. I'm very good at competative Brawl, which does have depth, just less than Melee. I personally think Melee is a better game, but I'm better at and enjoy Brawl more. Every time I talk about Brawl, I don't emphasis it's popularity over melee. Every time I talk about Melee, I don't feel compelled to compare it to Brawl. As a lover of both games, I would appreciate it if the communities didn't bash each other. After all, you're both still part of the grander smash community. Chances are, if Smash 4 comes out, and it's any good, you'll all be playing together again anyway. Brawl is a fine game, please let me play it without me having to read communal insults about it everywhere I go.

Secondly, I don't play competative shooters. I'm actually not really a big fan of shooters, as I grew up in NYC (not the nicest parts) and I know quite a few people that have been shot and killed. I don't really enjoy the concept of shooting games, though I don't bash people who have never seen a gun in person aside from perhaps on a police officer's side in it's holster. That being said, can we please stop bashing people that play the games they enjoy? It's very hypocritical, especially of Brawl players, to bash Halo and other shooters, when you dislike getting bashed by Melee players, and other fighting communities.

tl;dr: sorry for being such a softie, but seriously, why can't we all just get along?

Now, for the real point of this message. The fact is, we can speculate and curse Sakurai and MLG all day, but none of you know for sure the real reason why Brawl isn't on the circuit. Furthermore, all the bashing in this thread is very counter productive. Going on MLG's main site and putting your voice out, boycotting MLG products, mailing MLG representatives IRL, continuing to survive as a popular competative community, going out and drawing in new players: these are the things that will get us on a sponsered circuit. Flaming this thread is burning the little chance we have left.

For those that don't care, that's fine. There are those of us that do care. Please don't be cruel, rude, and vindictive just because your game is no longer played competatively on a wide-scale level. People that play Brawl aren't stopping people from playing Melee, and MOST of us don't bash you. Some of us (like myself) accept Melee as a superior game that we just suck at, and don't have the time, interest, or community to put effort into. Please, hold your comments to yourself.

If you really care, do something SMART about it.

Also, I honestly think the Brawl community is large enough to start it's own competative circuit if we play our cards right. There are thousands of us, and we all are growing people, many of us young adults, and many of us with connections. There are a couple of key actions we could take to start our own circuit.

A) Reach out to other fighting game communities. Sure, maybe the Soul Caliber community doesn't like us now, but I'd bet my bottom dollar there are a few people that would lend an ear to anyone talking about hosting sponsored SC tournaments. Having well organized mass events doesn't always require a company like EVO or MLG if we have the right people working together, and enough VOLUNTEERS to get started. Talking to under represented fighting game and shooting game (and puzzle game) communities and uniting our efforts MAKES US BIG enough to do our own thing. I will be starting a social group after this post to get anyone interested in helping me make this happen organized. It obviously won't kick off right away; I'm only 17 and still in high school. I turn 18 in March though, and I'll be on vacation in the summer, and I'm willing to take matters into my own hands and make the next step. I can't do it alone though. I'm ready, are you?

B) Unite the darned smash community together again! I mean, seriously people, we will destroy each other at the rate we are burning each other with flames. If we were to organize each other, seriously consider one another, and respect each other, and the others' preference of game, perhaps many people would find themselves enjoying both games, and both games could flourish SIMULTANEOUSLY. It only can't happen IF YOU SAY it can't happen. Nothing is actually stopping it from happening but you.

C) Organize our leaders to actually REPRESENT THE COMMUNITY. No offense to anyone in the SBR, but basically, my entire experience in the smash community has been, "The SBR is there, it's always been there, it's taken hold of power, and it's getting passed down in a monarchical manor." I very much like the concept of the SBR, but as it stands now, the group is almost clashing with the population like an expired monarch. I respect many members in the SBR, but it's time to face the facts. SBR was created in Melee days, and early Melee days at that. Even thought the purge occurred, it was orchestrated by MLG, who is apparently not even supporting us anymore. There are still many disputes about questionable members in the SBR, and some of the policies they produce.

D) Play Wifi.

Just kidding.

The real D) We NEED a UNIFORMED ruleset to help the uniformity of the community grow. If I'm playing with only "legit stages" on, and there are regions playing with Port Town, Norfair, and Jungle Japes, though we might be playing the same game, we're having totally different competitions. I think the best and simplest way to compromise is granting more personal bans. Turn on most of the stages in conflict (Pictochat, Japes, PS2, and Norfair), and grant both players more bans. This merely results in players simply fighting on stages they both seem to agree on, similar to the stage striking system we've adapted (allow both players to alternate striking neutrals until there is one left, and play on it for R1). Either this, or we can eliminate all of the disputed stages. Seriously, I don't understand why anyone would have a significant problem with Norfair off. Some people think Norfair can provide a more random and uncontrollable game changing element. This is a stronger argument than people who simply think "You're wrong". The consequences of them being right are much more significant than the consequence of them being wrong. If the stage is off and they're right, we don't get owned by a stage. If the stage is off and they're wrong, we merely lose one viable stage, and still have other options to choose from. You can still play on that stage with your friends, and even in money matches with people that agree with you. For the sake of fairness, it's safer just to turn conflict stages off.

Anyway, just dropping my two coppers on the table. Hit me up in my new open social group called 'Competative Circuit Organization' (CCO for short), if you're interested/want to talk to me more.
Best post on Smashboards this year, PERIOD.

Fletch

Smash Master
He never said it was near Melee status. He said there are still people who are entertaining to watch. And he's right. There aren't many entertaining playstyles in Brawl, but there are some that are not only fun to watch, but good. Ninjalink's Diddy, Ally's Snake and MyRoboticClaw's ZSS among them.
There you go.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
**** Fletch your sig makes me want to pop in Melee again, I miss crazy combos like that.

cultofrubik

Smash Journeyman
In all honesty, it should be FAR more obvious as to why Smash isn't in the Circuit.

MLG was obviously testing waters in some fashion with that ******** online ladder. Wifi is obvious fail.

Anyway, this argument about Melee and Brawl summarizes the why quite easily if you ask me. The overwhelming majority of Melee "veterans" prefer Melee, even if they still play Brawl.

When Melee was on the circuit, it was there for a reason. It was growing, it was entertaining, it made money, AND the community itself was a solid block of unity. Not to mention the game itself was amazing. [But there are plenty of Melee versus Brawl arguments, so I won't go there per se.]

Who are we? Honestly. This "Smash" community is a joke nowadays. And whether you like Brawl or not, it's incontrovertible that the "successor" to awesome ruined the community, even if it had the potential to make it better than ever. [The game sucks, sorry. I tried to be objective. Bah] When you have flaming in every possible nook and cranny on this website, why would MLG give a **** about Smash?

Brawl+ is an example of what Smash used to be. People that genuinely care as a WHOLE as to what happens next.

Brawl lacks coherence, period. And Melee will ALWAYS be better - as both a game and as a community.

And of course, Brawl lacks coherence because of people like myself, Fletch, and every other "melee ****" that loves to talk about Melee.

Because Melee will always be better. So just because you can't play it...

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Of course we lack coherence. It's easy to close your eyes and say "Look, look how divided the community is." But you know what? Maybe the fact that the Brawl community is absolutely massive has something to do with that. How much bigger is the Brawl community than Melee's? Twice? Thrice? People don't understand how big the competitive scene for this game actually is. Look at our Tournament Discussions and Listings forums. It's ridiculous. I'm hard-pressed to think of any game, including Melee, that's ever had such a massive competitive community without relying on Online play. And we're supposed to have this giant mass of people agree on everything?

So of course we're going to lack coherence. Because everyone has their own idea of what is right and we've got all kinds. That is what Brawl+ is an example of. A group of people who think their way is better, and want to play that way. They care what happens to the game and that's why they do what they do. But saying those who don't play a hacked version of the game don't care about the whole is inane.

You think the Melee community was a solid mass of love? I say it couldn't even agree on what to do with the IC infinites. You say Brawl ruined the community? I say you're looking in the wrong places. When you come on the forums, are the posts of Ninjalink or Hylian the ones that make you shake your head? Or are they the posts of random users, people who've been to one or two tourneys and spend twice as much time on the forums as they do playing the game? People who, when Brawl is all said and done, won't have mattered?

You see the Smash community as a joke because you want it to be. Melee is better, Brawl is better, whichever. It's an opinion. I know plenty of Melee veterans that prefer Brawl. You can have your opinion. But don't moan and complain when the majority of the community disagrees with you.

MLG has not picked up Brawl. This much we know. But how many years did it take before Melee was picked up? We aren't organized yet. We know who maybe the top two Smashers are, and then outside of that, what? I've seen so many different Smashers cited as top 5, it's ridiculous. And alot of them are put there with good reason. Brawl just isn't ready. It's young and has a massive community trying to pull it their way (or in some cases, tear it down) at every turn. Brawl has a great chance of being picked up in later years. But just like Melee did, it has to prove itself first.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
People never cease to amaze me. Everything for some reason has to boil down to Brawl vs Melee.

Do you guys not realize MLG has seen the exact situation that the Smash community is now with the transitions from Halo 1 to Halo 2 and again to Halo 3? The old hierarchy whining about the new game-it isn't anything new. Eventually though those voices simply fall on deaf ears.

Brawl not being added had nothing to do with the community/Brawl vs Melee/many of the things said in this thread.

AuraKid

Smash Cadet
Also Halo has a larger fanbase. and Brawl is boring as hell to watch. I honestly wonder if Melee would still be in the MLG circuit if Brawl was never released. Same with EVO. Because other then Brawl being boring to watch doesn't smash have one of the best competitive scene's out there?
Shut up, brawl is never boring, unless both players suck. I think halo is boring. So much running:dizzy:

KO M

Smash Apprentice
Is Guilty Gear A core on the circuit? Praying that it is....

KillerSOS

Smash Champion
People never cease to amaze me. Everything for some reason has to boil down to Brawl vs Melee.

Do you guys not realize MLG has seen the exact situation that the Smash community is now with the transitions from Halo 1 to Halo 2 and again to Halo 3? The old hierarchy whining about the new game-it isn't anything new. Eventually though those voices simply fall on deaf ears.

Brawl not being added had nothing to do with the community/Brawl vs Melee/many of the things said in this thread.
Then why exactly was it not on the circuit???

They would make money.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
When you come on the forums, are the posts of Ninjalink or Hylian the ones that make you shake your head? Or are they the posts of random users, people who've been to one or two tourneys and spend twice as much time on the forums as they do playing the game? People who, when Brawl is all said and done, won't have mattered?
That made me lol but it's pretty ful of truth.

-:bowser:Bowser King

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
MLG is a business. Adding a game isn't as simple as: "hey, we want this game, lets add it!"

There are legal ramifications, sponsors, conflicting interests, logistics of running the event/game, etc. to consider.

Smash meets (and exceeds) most (probably all) of the standards MLG uses for choosing a game. In particular Smash is one of the most popular tournament titles in the country, probably surpassed only by Halo (or possibly Madden).

Why would MLG purchase Smashboards but not have Smash on their circuit? Consider simply that Smashboards is now part of the "MLG network", which expands MLG's userbase/number of viewers and therefor online ad revenue (major emerging source for income). MLG recognizes that Smash has a devoted, popular following. They want to be the leader in competitive gaming, so it makes sense to add one of the largest competitive gaming communities to part of their network of representation.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Why would MLG purchase Smashboards but not have Smash on their circuit? Consider simply that Smashboards is now part of the "MLG network", which expands MLG's userbase/number of viewers and therefor online ad revenue (major emerging source for income). MLG recognizes that Smash has a devoted, popular following. They want to be the leader in competitive gaming, so it makes sense to add one of the largest competitive gaming communities to part of their network of representation.
Before all the rant, this was the major question I was focusing on. I mean i don't run MLG, i don't know what complications they had. However, to purchase Smashbaords, the largest community for the game, and not run it? A little awkward im afraid. But who knows? They proabably have something else in the works...

KillerSOS

Smash Champion
MLG is a business. Adding a game isn't as simple as: "hey, we want this game, lets add it!"

There are legal ramifications, sponsors, conflicting interests, logistics of running the event/game, etc. to consider.

Smash meets (and exceeds) most (probably all) of the standards MLG uses for choosing a game. In particular Smash is one of the most popular tournament titles in the country, probably surpassed only by Halo (or possibly Madden).

They are willing to get add rev from it but not host originzed tourneys?? It makes no sense!

They would make more money by hosting brawl tourneys.. even the underground series or whatnot.

D

Deleted member

The terrible thing about Pierce's post is that I'm afraid very few people will act upon it.

He said some very valuable things, and has opened up a group about it. It's a serious effort that would be a huge help to all of the Smash community (regardless of whether or not you still consider it a true community).

Allied

Smash Master
ugh i hate people
i play melee and brawl competitive i enjoy both
but you always get that one melee noob "well brawl sucks cuz you cant wavedashezer!lol shinespike"
"im glad brawl isnt onz mlgz cuz its obviously not melee"
"if you lieke brawl your gay"

Like seriously is this what the melee community has come to, petty insults
jeez kids grow up

brawl is here and its not going anytime soon lol

the things we can agree on tho is

Sakurai Sucks
MLG is in it for profit not for acual games being played
MLG is ******** in everyway known to man
Evo is full of ingorant *******
and pretty much better luck next year brawl
HALO 3 IS A JOKE GAME LOLZ

seriously everytime something with brawl is mentioned it just annoys me how thers always that one melee freak that refuses to switch for whatever his stupid execuse is

im done ranting = /

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom