• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB64 Fantasy Football League

Shears

Smash Master
SSB64 Fantasy Football League. This is a normal fantasy football league where the managers are smashers. This is a way to build competition in the community and build and connect the players. Rivalries, friendships, back stabbing, impermissible deflation of footballs, PEDs, and more are not only allowed, but encouraged.

2014 Final Standings
Place|Team|Tag|Record|Win%|PF|PA
*1.| Doug Hug Martin| PrestonK |9-5-0| .643 |1935.96 |1638.46
*2.| All About Benjamin| Shears |10-4-0| .714 |1895.04 |1736.84
*3.| Show Me Your TD's| Saltsizzle |9-5-0| .643 |2027.90 |1725.32
*4.| ballin| ballin4life |9-5-0| .643 |1815.46 |1670.78
5.| Events2Compete| E2CJoe |5-9-0| .357 |1440.06 |1733.86
6.| falcon runs a 3.5 40| clubbadubba |8-6-0| .571 |1866.92 |1861.78
7.| Cane's Choice Team| caneut |0-14-0| .000 |1235.46 |1910.96
8.| Jimmy Joe Team| JimmyJoe |6-8-0| .429 |1912.72 |1851.52

I don't know if this thread is against the rules or not but I think it would be cool to have a community fantasy football league. Since we are a much smaller community I figured it could work out well. Its not entirely smash related but its more community related because I would like to build a league of people that are part of the 64 community and/or are thinking about being a part of it. We can have a smash related prize like a controller for the champion to keep this more relevant. If anyone is interested, just PM me your email address and I'll create a league and email everyone. I can keep this thread up to date with results, standings, and matchups, etc. If this is an inappropriate thread @ Sangoku Sangoku then lock it and I'll see about conducting it through the social thread.

Players tentatively in the league:

1. Shears
2. Caneut
3. Saltsizzle
4. Clubba
5. Ballin
6. Events2Compete
7. PrestonK
8. JimmyJoe

@Sensei and @kys said they were open to getting their asses whooped in FFL

Last edited:

caneut

Smash Ace
Big fan of my team but I haven't followed NFL in a year, but **** I'm down. Never done fantasy before.

Saltsizzle

Smash Journeyman
I'll join as long as the rules aren't too crazy (I like more traditional fantasy with no defensive players, no point per rush or reception, and things like that). I'll send details of my e-mail and such when I know that there is enough interest to actually go through with the league.

Shears

Smash Master
It would be using standard scoring and rosters. So a QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, FLEX, K, and D/ST. Debating whether to do fractional scoring or whole point scoring. I prefer fractional only because people get pissed in whole point when they lose by one point and had two players with 9 yards in the ones column (For anyone who doesn't know what these two are, fractional means you get 0.1 point for every yard where whole point means you get 1.0 for every 10 yards. They both come out to 1 point per 10 yards but fractional uses decimals while whole point always rounds down. The math doesn't really matter because fantasy football sites do it all for you.) Rules are open to discussion but most people will agree with standard scoring as its not gimmicky and doesn't show any real favoritism to any one position. If you've never done it before, its not hard to learn and it doesn't require you to know all the players and who is the best or worst. ESPN, Yahoo, etc all provide projections and past results so if you don't know if they're good or not, just pick the guy with the biggest numbers. Fantasy football really only demands your attention for about an hour a week and thats just so you can set your lineups.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I'm in. I usually to ppr, but I can live with either. I think you should add a 3rd receiver position though, 2 wr is way too easy to get good production

oh and please yahoo league. i hate espn and nfl

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
PM me your email and when I set up the league you will get an invite. Deciding whether ESPN or Yahoo but once you get the email you can create an account then. Its really just a username and password.

I'm in. I usually to ppr, but I can live with either. I think you should add a 3rd receiver position though, 2 wr is way too easy to get good production
Well thats what a flex position is for but I'm open to changing it around if everyone else agrees. I don't like PPR where its a full point per reception but pseudo PPR where its like a point for every 2/3 receptions. Only because a full point for a reception really over values certain RBs and can take away the volatility of WR. If everyone is down for PPR then we can do it, but @ Saltsizzle Saltsizzle already expressed concerns with adding in additional scoring metrics.

Last edited:

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Yea ppr is a completely different strategy. like I said whichever works for me.

my leagues have always been qb, 2 rb, 3 wr, 1 te, 1 flex, 1 k, 1 d/st

finding value in that 3rd wr spot separates the pros from the joes.

Saltsizzle

Smash Journeyman
PM me your email and when I set up the league you will get an invite. Deciding whether ESPN or Yahoo but once you get the email you can create an account then. Its really just a username and password.

Well thats what a flex position is for but I'm open to changing it around if everyone else agrees. I don't like PPR where its a full point per reception but pseudo PPR where its like a point for every 2/3 receptions. Only because a full point for a reception really over values certain RBs and can take away the volatility of WR. If everyone is down for PPR then we can do it, but @ Saltsizzle Saltsizzle already expressed concerns with adding in additional scoring metrics.
I agree with most everything in that second post of yours. I think fractions would be a good choice. I do not like ppr but would be fine with a compromise like the 2/3 receptions per point that was suggested. Also I would prefer ESPN since I am in another league on that site so it would be easier for me (sorry clubba).

Shears

Smash Master
Yea ppr is a completely different strategy. like I said whichever works for me.

my leagues have always been qb, 2 rb, 3 wr, 1 te, 1 flex, 1 k, 1 d/st

finding value in that 3rd wr spot separates the pros from the joes.
I like that roster, its only one additional WR compared to most standard rosters and isn't like adding in defensive players.

oh and please yahoo league. i hate espn and nfl
I agree with most everything in that second post of yours. I think fractions would be a good choice. I do not like ppr but would be fine with a compromise like the 2/3 receptions per point that was suggested. Also I would prefer ESPN since I am in another league on that site so it would be easier for me (sorry clubba).
I hate using ESPN too, they have one of the worst FFL apps. I am currently in other leagues using ESPN and would rather use Yahoo. ESPN however is a bigger brand that people most likely already have accounts with. Is Yahoo going to be a deal breaker for anyone? Is ESPN going to be a deal breaker for anyone?

Also we will discuss scoring specifics such as PPR and its variations later but if people could give what they prefer and are opposed to, it would help in finding a middle ground later on.

Step 1: Gather interest and get participants
Step 2: Determine rosters and scoring rules
Step 3: Determine prize for champion
Step 4: Beat everyone and become champion to win prize

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
ESPN fantasy football is more popularly known than Yahoo. By FFL people, they all know Yahoo, but every joe schmoe on the streets would know ESPN. Its because if people had to guess where to go to start a fantasy football league they would guess ESPN since its name is most associated with sports. Since this is a video game community I suspect most people are less knowledgeable of sports than me and my friends, because of that I assume they would guess ESPN has fantasy sports over Yahoo because one is directly associated with sports while the other isn't. I think any newcomers wouldn't have a problem with either, and any veterans would prefer Yahoo, its the people who probably aren't noobs to it but aren't veterans and their young FFL career has been on ESPN because when they googled fantasy football or decided to navigate to a site to set up or join a league, and they assumed ESPN (The Worldwide Leader in Sports) was a better choice than Yahoo (which is just Yahoo).

My vote is for Yahoo, but most amateur fantasy participants are comfortable with ESPN. Its not decided yet and I want to see what everyone prefers because I'd rather have more participants to have a more competitive league on an adequate site (ESPN) than lose participants because we used the optimal site (Yahoo).

Last edited:

Saltsizzle

Smash Journeyman
To me where it is hosted is not that big of a deal. I would only prefer ESPN because I would have all my leagues together but this is not much of an issue since I have both ESPN and yahoo accounts. Either way people will probably have to make an account for either site so I don't think it will deter interest. If it is still a concern I guess you could do a poll though...

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I think season long fantasy sports are dumb but I am playing this year if only so I have more motivation to study/play DFS.

I am doing FF in a league on Yahoo already so I prefer Yahoo. I prefer PPR because that's how my other league is.

Is this for money? Or are there more details on prizes?

Shears

Smash Master
Haven't created the league but I think I'll create it this week and send invites and take it from there. Theres still 2 weeks to go and I'd like to do a draft later than sooner in case of preseason injuries.

Saltsizzle

Smash Journeyman
Less than a week until the draft and we have 6 teams. We need 4 more to make this legit.

Players tentatively in the league:

1. Shears
2. Caneut
3. Saltsizzle
4. Clubba
5. Ballin
6. Events2Compete
7. PrestonK
8. JimmyJoe

Sensei and kys said they were open to getting their ***** whooped in FFL
If the remainder of the teams listed in the OP (quoted above) join then we would have 10 and be set.

Shears

Smash Master
Not sure if we will be able to get 10 teams, seems like only 8 so far. I'd much rather have 10 (prefer 12), but 8 is still doable. Is everyone willing to do a league with 8 teams? I'd like to draft later this week since next week the regular season starts. We can start discussing rules. How many points per reception should we do? Should another roster spot be added, and what position should it be? Also, I'm thinking the reward should be a nice greased controller, thoughts?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
i think the roster already should have 1 qb, 3 wr, 2 rb, 1 te, 1 wr/rb/te spot, 1 def, and 1 kicker.

if we are doing 8 teams, add a 2nd qb spot, and 1 more wr/rb/te spot

Shears

Smash Master
I talked to Jimmy Joe, he is working tonight and will be on auto draft. To ensure we run on time I created a temporary yahoo account and added him as a comanager. I will leave it to auto draft and will not use that account at all in case anyone was wondering why I had an email on two accounts.

Shears

Smash Master
So I totally forgot to update this thread. We're in the championship week now.

Championship Game: Shears vs Preston
Third place means nothing: ballin vs saltsizzle
Consolation games I forgot were happening until now: clubbadubba vs events2compete, cane vs jimmyjoe

Regular season standings:

Shears 10-4
Saltsizzle 9-5
Preston 9-5
ballin4life 9-5
clubbadubba 8-6
JimmyJoe 6-8
Events2Compete 5-9
Caneut 0-14

Winner gets a 64 controller (I hope I win so I don't have to pay to ship a controller to Canada).

The Star King

Smash Hero
hahahahaha yooooooooooo what the hell do people actually play imaginary football with each other this is the nerdiest **** I've ever seen in my life

Shears

Smash Master
hahahahaha yooooooooooo what the hell do people actually play imaginary football with each other this is the nerdiest **** I've ever seen in my life
I would say playing video games is much nerdier. Especially when you are locked in your room under your blanket by yourself playing keyboard smash.

Top Bottom