• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta SSB4 Falco Matchup Thread - Main Post

Legend Vermillion

Spanish Brawl Competitive Player

SSB4 Falco Matchup Thread:

Welcome to the main post! Below you will find links for the different matchup threads of this character. Feel free to contribute! :)

Matchup posts list:

(...)

Edit by Ffamran: This is the temporary MU index from the directory. It's been reposted here for convenience.
Matchup Areas
SSB4 Falco Matchup Thread - Main Post by @ Legend Vermillion Legend Vermillion .
- This is where general MU discussions can be held along with requests.
- The index needs to be updated, so for now...
Temporary Falco Matchup Index.
- For now, use this. If there has been a discussion, then the names will be clickable. If not, then wait or request for a discussion thread on them.
- Note: DLC characters will have at least a 1 month period before they can be discussed.

Last edited by a moderator:

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I feel Falco has a huge advantage over Little Mac. I faced countless Little Mac's in For Glory, some extremely terrible, some very very good. All Falco needs to do is Down Throw and punish literally anything Little mac does in the air.

By the time he lands, grab invicibility is over so we have a chain grab involving reads here. Throw him off stage, shoot a laser(very effective) and edgeguard. Falco's down B is almost always a guaranteed gimp if you hit him off stage.

Legend Vermillion

Spanish Brawl Competitive Player
Having just faced a Falco, I think a Falco vs Mega Man discussion would be interesting.
Added to the first post, here we go, bro: http://smashboards.com/threads/ssb4-falco-matchup-discussion-02-megaman.371646/ :)

I feel Falco has a huge advantage over Little Mac. I faced countless Little Mac's in For Glory, some extremely terrible, some very very good. All Falco needs to do is Down Throw and punish literally anything Little mac does in the air.

By the time he lands, grab invicibility is over so we have a chain grab involving reads here. Throw him off stage, shoot a laser(very effective) and edgeguard. Falco's down B is almost always a guaranteed gimp if you hit him off stage.
That chaingrab done by reads is very interesting and it can work nice in a lot of matchups!

Last edited:

ManaT

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0130-2279-3947
I cannot for the life of me play against Zelda. Any helpful advice?

Shwag

Smash Cadet
I haven't been playing a ton, but played against a Greninja today. I haven't seen any other character do this, but he can punish Falco on the first hit of jab. If you hit him with it, he can shield the 2nd hit and punish. Or he can just jab after you hit him with the first hit and it beats you out. I know this is 100% on the ground. Not sure if he can punish out of the air like I know some characters can (Diddy/Pac-Man can Uair/Nair out of jab).

After 4-5 games against the Greninja, that matchup seems really hard. Only thing I could figure out to do is get him off stage and punish his obvious recovery options.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
For sonic - don't be afraid to zone him with lasers and jumping, fade-away reflectors. Grounded reflectors can stop a low approach as well. The key to this matchup is never approach. Sonic has no projectiles and your laser can force him to approach if you toss out 2-3 every time he's at a distance. Shield is pretty safe against spin moves because you can't be grabbed unless he stops, be wary of homing attack (try to spot dodge it instead of shield).

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Against Sonic, shield if he is in spin form (he can't grab out of any spindash move). It renders him useless until he lands.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I cannot for the life of me play against Zelda. Any helpful advice?
Reflect her Phantom Slash especially if it's fully charged. This sort of applies to any character with a chargeable projectile. It's also hilarious.

Don't let her spam Din's Fire. In other words, with all rangers, put pressure on them so they can't control range.

Farore's Wind is readable, but always be aware, so keep mobile.

Nayru's Love, well, Falco's Blaster can be used as an interrupter, but don't abuse it or else a Zelda player will just reflect it back or use the ending animation as a way to counter.

Other than that, just keep pressure on Zelda; don't let Zelda control the pace of the battle. Oh, and be careful about Zelda sweet-spotting her Din's Fire, fair, bair, and dair. If you can't escape them, then get hit normally. Sometimes, you have to take the hit.

Last edited:

ManaT

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0130-2279-3947
Reflect her Phantom Slash especially if it's fully charged. This sort of applies to any character with a chargeable projectile. It's also hilarious.

Don't let her spam Din's Fire. In other words, with all rangers, put pressure on them so they can't control range.

Farore's Wind is readable, but always be aware, so keep mobile.

Nayru's Love, well, Falco's Blaster can be used as an interrupter, but don't abuse it or else a Zelda player will just reflect it back or use the ending animation as a way to counter.

Other than that, just keep pressure on Zelda; don't let Zelda control the pace of the battle. Oh, and be careful about Zelda sweet-spotting her Din's Fire, fair, bair, and dair. If you can't escape them, then get hit normally. Sometimes, you have to take the hit.
Thanks I'll have to give these a try

shoops

Smash Rookie
Rosalina is a terror for me. Obviously looks to be one of the best characters in the game, but she just seems to have an answer for everything Falco has. Lasers are useless, extremely hard to approach her, hard to gimp... I think she is by far Falco's toughest match-up.

Last edited:

Shiny Shovel

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shiny-Shovel
3DS FC
0275-9078-8854
I've been playing a little Falco, he was my second in brawl. Against Rosalina, dash>reflector. It provides good stun and normally when expecting a dash attack, Rosalina players launch Luma. Fun fact; reflector beats Luma!

Also, plenty of ShortHop>nair>grab>fthrow and maybe use lasers while she's in the air. Throw her off stage, and ShortHop>SideB. It spikes and really ruins her day. Recover with your second jump and UpB.

S.S.

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
Throw her off stage, and ShortHop>SideB. It spikes and really ruins her day. Recover with your second jump and UpB.

S.S.
Oh right, I never even considered using side-b like this, but it makes perfect sense now the helpless state is gone from it. A very nice and easy soft spike actually! Definitely gonna give this a shot.

Nysyr

Smash Journeyman
So I ran into a DK main and got trashed multiple times. He switched to Falco and I decided to try DK for the first time.

Holy heck does DK ever just destroy every one of Falco's options, the offstage game, the dash attack, the tilts, the SMASH attacks.

DK is just a regular terror to face.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
So I ran into a DK main and got trashed multiple times. He switched to Falco and I decided to try DK for the first time.

Holy heck does DK ever just destroy every one of Falco's options, the offstage game, the dash attack, the tilts, the SMASH attacks.

DK is just a regular terror to face.
funny because i thought falco stomped on DK

iLLuMinati_EYE

Smash Apprentice
what are peoples thoughts on the rosalina matchup, i think its 7-3 maybe 8-2 rosalina's favor FREE. In this matchup Falco loses all his means of approaching, Grab combos mean nothing because of luma and chasing her down offstage is really tough let alone that falcos Fair spike got nerfed getting a kill on this character is a struggle. If anyone got any tips for this ridiculous character it would be much appreciated.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
though i do struggle with rosalina. i find it super easy to bait out her aerials and u-tilt into b-air. also for approaches, falcos short hop side-b can catch rosa by surprise and focusing your attack when luma isnt next to rosalina is great. also reflecting the luma throw is nice :3

Shiny Shovel

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shiny-Shovel
3DS FC
0275-9078-8854
Rosalina has been nerfed in the recent patch. The Luma takes a full 5 more seconds to respawn. Taking out the Luma first might be an option now.

S.S.

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
Any quick tip for Sonic Matchup would be great, its hard for me :(
I only found out that his shine can stop Sonic's spin dash attacks.
You have to play defensively and find openings Sonic is too fast and will punish if you push it too far.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I only found out that his shine can stop Sonic's spin dash attacks.
You have to play defensively and find openings Sonic is too fast and will punish if you push it too far.
Since playing as Falco more on SSB4, I used Reflector on everything except for obvious things that either come out too fast or have super armor like Ike's Eruption or Ganondorf's Warlock Punch. Some of it's worth it because of how fast Reflector comes out, but others aren't unless you're in a tight situation.

Din's Fire can be "reflected" or cancelled right when it explodes. It's tight timing, but I don't think you really need to reflect it since there are better and safer options like shielding or just avoiding it.

Since Megaman's move set is about 50% projectiles, Mario, Fox, Falco, Pit, Dark Pit, Zelda, and anyone else with a reflect can punish him if he starts spamming projectiles that are really slow like his Side Smash or Leaf Shield which sort of moves slow.

The Reflector is my go-to get the heck out of dodge move or the main interrupter. It's like flipping the bird. Flame Choke? Reflector. Long jab combo? Button mash Reflector to interrupt it - it works, but there's a tight timing which button mashing can solve. Aura Sphere, Charge Shot, or Phantom Attack? Reflector.

Reflect everything. Just do it!

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
kind of wish the reflector had a bigger hitbox. i tend to skim the opponent sometimes
Hmm, I have no problems with it. I think it might be because I'm throwing it out as late as possible. Are you sure you're not jumping over them or using it too early? Reflector has a decent hitbox.

Last edited:

Zionaze

Smash Ace
i think its just my problem where i overjudge how far the reflector goes and miss it. though i still wouldnt mind a bigger reflector :3

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
The Reflector is my go-to get the heck out of dodge move or the main interrupter. It's like flipping the bird. Flame Choke? Reflector. Long jab combo? Button mash Reflector to interrupt it - it works, but there's a tight timing which button mashing can solve. Aura Sphere, Charge Shot, or Phantom Attack? Reflector.

Reflect everything. Just do it!
You can interrupt jab combos??
Holy moley I didn't know that. I found you can reflect Pac-Man's hydrant too but only before it hits the ground, it's pretty hard to land it but I caught it a couple times.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
if your grounded while being jabbed. jab back at them since your jabs are rather fast. If your afloat while being jabbed either F-air or reflector can interrupt the combo

Shiny Shovel

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shiny-Shovel
3DS FC
0275-9078-8854
Lasers are good for forcing approaches in the air. Lazers interupt Sonic's spindash, Ganon's Flamechoke etc, and can ruin grounded approaches. Don't use it often though, there's plenty of end lag on laser.

S.S.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
You can interrupt jab combos??
Holy moley I didn't know that. I found you can reflect Pac-Man's hydrant too but only before it hits the ground, it's pretty hard to land it but I caught it a couple times.
I think almost everyone one - I don't know about characters who only have slow attacks - can interrupt a jab combo. There's these tiny windows of opportunity where anyone can act when they're being combo'd. I had a Jigglypuff use Rest during Falco's jab combo and I was KO'd instantly. I've shielded, reflected, and sometimes just hit back with regular attacks when I've been jab combo'd. It might not work with say, Little Mac or Pikachu who have incredibly fast jab combos, but Falco's, Captain Falcon's, etc. they can be interrupted. Just mash Reflector and you'll be fine or pull away and hold shield.

Also, because of this, for everyone out there: Don't do long jab combos. Make them short. There's a reason why Captain Falcon and Robin have 2 jab combos. The one where Capt. ends with a knee that has a knockback and Robin's Fire Tome finisher.

Last edited:

Shiny Shovel

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shiny-Shovel
3DS FC
0275-9078-8854
Can we talk about King Dedede for a sec?

I came across a decent one of 1v1 for glory and I lost, though the match was tough. It feels like his ftilt prevents us from getting close and his fast fall nair makes follow ups unfavourable. Dedede's dtilt comes out quickly and resets spacing almost immediately.

Any ideas?

S.S.

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
Can we talk about King Dedede for a sec?

I came across a decent one of 1v1 for glory and I lost, though the match was tough. It feels like his ftilt prevents us from getting close and his fast fall nair makes follow ups unfavourable. Dedede's dtilt comes out quickly and resets spacing almost immediately.

Any ideas?

S.S.
3De has a great number of tools, he is pretty underrated, but still pretty slow
If you see him get too close for comfort, space him out and be patient when he approaches be ready to shine him right in the face, or if possible diffuse it by side b and reset to a neutral position.
If he likes Gordos too much go for using short hop nairs to hit them back, it doesn't leave you open as long and keeps the opponent on his toes, if he hits it back then use the reflector. You can also use these to slow inch you way over to him if needed.
The rest is just spacing and forcing him into a bad spot. I feel like trying to edgeguard him is pointless since his up b has armour and it goes so high. You can reflect the stars that come out on 3De's up-b landing, and the hitstun can help led to a grab or something if you are close enough.

KoeBigS8

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3153-6012-6209
Alright, so the classic Fox v Falco :| I've played with my training buddy and even labbed it out, most of Falco's arsenal is slow as hell compared to him, and I have no idea how to approach him especially since his grab is faster so I am left 100% open when I miss a smash attack even from afar.
Anybody else tried to test this matchup? Also I found a thing earlier where you can air dodge cancel into phantasm immediately, don't know if that was discovered but it throws people off guard from time to time.

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
Alright, so the classic Fox v Falco :| I've played with my training buddy and even labbed it out, most of Falco's arsenal is slow as hell compared to him, and I have no idea how to approach him especially since his grab is faster so I am left 100% open when I miss a smash attack even from afar.
Anybody else tried to test this matchup? Also I found a thing earlier where you can air dodge cancel into phantasm immediately, don't know if that was discovered but it throws people off guard from time to time.
Use the fast-fall nair for approach. Remember to use the shine to stop his approach, and work on spacing. Try using the up-tilt and down-tilt they are very good and come out really fast.

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
I just got bopped by a 3De.
Hot damn the fast fall nair has no land lag. Goes straight into a d-smash up-smash or up tilt really it goes into any thing you want. Doing a bit of research, his recovery is better than I thought. I might even secondary him at this rate. The b-air is amazing.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
i have the most struggle with jigglypuff since a lot of her attacks have high priority, disjointed and lingering hitboxes

Top Bottom