• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB Player Rankings

anonymouschris01

Smash Apprentice
I got back into smash a little over a year ago and have been taking it pretty seriously for the last six months or so. I am by no means a good player, but I have improved immensly since I picked the game back up. I practice a lot, and hopefully will continue to advance my skills to a point where I'll be considered a professional player. That being said, I often take my N64 with me on my National Guard drill weekends. I set it up in our armory after the duty day is over and play a lot of the guys from my unit. Most of them are just looking to pass some time, or relive some nostalgic memories from their childhood, but there are few that take it a little more competitvely. Bearing in mind I'm not a good player, I often 4 or 5 stock the guys I play against. Recently I was asked, by one of these guys, how good I was within the whole spectrum of the smash community. My initial response was simply just "bad" haha. It did get me thinking however about different players skill rankings. I searched the boards looking for a similar thread and didn't find anything. So I apologize in advance if something like this exists already, and was probably made by someone way more qualified and technically descriptive than I am about to be. With our local scene growing rather substantially I thought maybe this would be a good guide to show where new players can track their progress and see what they should be learning and mastering before considering themselves the next tier of player. I'm sure most higher level players inadvertantly know where they stand, but for newer players it could be beneficial. If there is one thing I've learned in the last year playing this game is that you definitely need to learn to crawl before you can walk and walk before you can run. So I broke down the player ranking from S to F and casual players, and here are my descriptions of each. Please feel free to comment/ correct anything you feel I may be off on, and these are just generalizations so it naturally leaves some wiggle room for debate and descriptions.

Casual Players- These players are mostly the guys and girls that grew up playing this game. Having little if any knowledge of advanced techniques or the longevity that this game has enjoyed long after the N64 has been outdated. If they were to pick up a controller again they would probably be familiar with certain characters moves and the various stages.They have little interest in playing the game for any long period of time believing it to be just another surface level game, not knowing it has incredible depth that outclasses some games being made today. In the eyes of the proffesional smash community however these players might as well be on the same skill level as someone who has never even seen an N64 or held its controller.

F Level- Most of these players have rediscoverd the game after years of not playing. Either through online videos, emulators, or playing directly with a good opponent they have found out about a higher level play this game can offer. Generally looking to improve themselves, and possibly aspire to become proffesional at some point. These players are working on getting down the fundamentals of advanced smash play. Such as; short hopping, fast falling, teching/tech rolling, tilts, and probably most importantly Z-cancelling. These techniques become the building blocks for the more advanced aspects of the game. These can all easily be practiced in training mode by yourself if necessary. Players in this level should try and set themselves up online and get together with local players and practice as much as they can, playing against CPU's is not recommended. Playing different opponents and characters will give you basic understanding of what both can do in matches. Experiment with all the characters and just feel out who feels natural to you, no need to settle on a main right away. Just a moderate understanding of these basic techniques will allow you to beat most casual players a majority of the time, on the flip side of that coin don't get discouraged losing to higher level players. Ask them questions and have fun.

D Level- (where I consider myself) At this level you should have the basic techniques down solidly, rarely missing them and implementing them into actual gameplay. Players should be familiar with most of the subtle properties of certain characters moves, such as what moves have invincibility frames, what comes out within the first frame, and some advanced moves that will aid a player recovering off the stage. A main doesn't need to be decided, but at this point generally you've narrowed it down to playing 2 or 3 characters pretty well. Skills to work on in this level would be things like pivoting, edge grabbing, platform shield drops, and beginning to implement DI and tilts to continue basic combos. The last two definitely being the most difficult and would be pulled off a minority of the time. An understanding of some of the deeper games mechanics like spacing and priority should be coming into play and cosciously being considered during gameplay. One should be familiar with smash terminology and can understand what players are doing in matches at higher levels of smash. D level players should pretty easily beat F level players and should be 4-5 stocking casual players

C Level- The difference between C and D are a little more subtle but definitely noticable when pitted against one another. At this point the fundamental techniques are mastered and have become second nature, almost never missing them. The previous skills being worked on are now down fluidly, they actively DI out of situations, and can easily pull off most combos against an oppononent who is not DI'ing out of them. A main has been decided and they understand the characters advantages and disadvantages in most match-ups, and may even be focussing on a secondary to compensate for their mains shortcomings. Players in this level should be focussing on things like mastering combos, knowing what will work at certain percentages, and what combos will work against certain characters. DI should continue to improve, focussing on ledge DI and DI'ing out of opponents combos. Pivot ledge grabs, and chasing opponents off the stage should be a regular way to secure a kill. The mental aspect of smash starts to come into play here as well. Spacing, timing, stage control, and priority should be well understood, and things like reading an opponent, adjusting ones play style in between matches or stocks, and mind games are all things starting to effect your gameplay. Players in lower levels will often have a difficult time turning a set around from an evenly matched player if they have a stock or two deficit, where for a C level player this is not out of the question. C level players should be easily beating D level players and 4-5 stocking F level players

B Level- This and C level players probably makes up a majority of the smash players in our community. Again here the difference between B and C level players is subtle and mostly seperated simply by the amount of time put into the game. B level players probably have several years of experience and some tournaments under their belts. With thousands of matches and dozens of opponents played their main is extremely fluid, profficient, and experienced against every character on the roster and any stage. These players don't even need to think about the fundamentals, and have mastered all combos, against all characters. They actively DI out of most hits, and know which way they should DI for most situations.There are very few techniques at this level that a player needs to work on, although among them may be crouch cancelling and edge cancelling and being able to intentionally use them in gameplay. The more they play, the more fluid their characters become. Mind games, spacing, timing, and the more cerebral aspects of the game are second nature as well. B level players should be able to play almost every character at an advanced level, and be beating C level players pretty convincingly, and 4-5 stocking D level players.

A Level- These players are the elite of the elite, truley an achievement few have reached. More than likely playing since the game has come out, or for years at the very least, They have dedicated a good majority of their recreational time to playing and perfecting themselves at this game. Often placing within the top 20-25 in tournaments and are generally interchangable with each other skill wise. These players can play almost any character at a proffesional level, and their mains are just short of perfect against any lower level players. These are the players most aspire to become. They understand nearly every aspect of the game. Their combos and movements are nearly frame perfect and they almost solely advance the meta-game. A level players should have no problem beating B level, and could conceivingly beat C level players without getting hit.

S Level- (I was reluctant to include this level, but thought these few individuals deserve a spot of there own)
IE: Isai, Superboomfan, Jousuke
Literally a handful of individuals have probably reached this level in the 16 years this game has been out. More than likely playing consistently for those past 16 years and at proffessional level for most of them. Almost living legends, these players have proven their skills by defing tier list assumptions, 5 stocking A level players, and pulling off moves and combos that would leave even the best smashers in disbelief. These individuals are expected to win tournaments, barring one of the others being at the same venue. Easily recognized as the best in their region or country and have probably brought more attention and inspired more people to play a game, thought long dead in the mainstream, than any other force surrounding the community. Simply the greatest of our time.

Capos

Smash Apprentice
Nice write-ups. The one thing I disagree with is the gap between the tiers, but good stuff.

<Fruity>

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to think I'm getting close to A level; probably B+ right now. It's a bit hard to know for sure since I can only play on high delay vs Americans, but, in the last year, I've been only beaten badly by a S tier player.

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
I'm a C player although I fall into a few of the B attributes (i.e. crouch cancelling, edge cancelling, mind games). I lack the tournament experience to harden my skill. I fall into the description given in the OP although it may not seem like it if you were to watch me play friendlies. I do a lot of combo experimentation with reverse hitboxes and the percents that they combo. It's just a mental foundation for optimization of combos. Most of my current friendlies are focused on proper movement, spacing w/ pressure, DI practice, and combo experimentation.

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
I'm a C player although I fall into a few of the B attributes (i.e. crouch cancelling, edge cancelling, mind games). I lack the tournament experience to harden my skill. I fall into the description given in the OP although it may not seem like it if you were to watch me play friendlies. I do a lot of combo experimentation with reverse hitboxes and the percents that they combo. It's just a mental foundation for optimization of combos. Most of my current friendlies are focused on proper movement, spacing w/ pressure, DI practice, and combo experimentation.
ill destroy you

Mr Bushido

Smash Ace
My in a nutshell version, with some examples of some players based on the current extent of their abilities from what I've seen of them

F: your dads dog

E: your dog

D: U

C: ur mom

B: ur dad

A: ur mom when im with her

S: me

Last edited:

yOLORIN

Smash Apprentice
Wow, you must have way too much time on your hands, huh?
I'd rather be the "loser" with too much time on my hands than the a**hole who feels the need to put others down for no reason.
Keep it up!

anonymouschris01

Smash Apprentice
I'd rather be the "loser" with too much time on my hands than the a**hole who feels the need to put others down for no reason.
Keep it up!
Haha it's no big deal man, we know each other and play each other all the time. If you were to look at all our texts to one another that comment would look pretty nice haha.

yOLORIN

Smash Apprentice
Haha it's no big deal man, we know each other and play each other all the time. If you were to look at all our texts to one another that comment would look pretty nice haha.
lol i noticed the location afterwards and thought that might be a possibility, sorry bassic

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
very nice write-up. and thanks to glair for linking that old Vaolem thread. always loved that thread

Edit: what a lame 1,000th post

Last edited:

M4TT

Smash Cadet
Very interesting post, I like how there are multiple different levels and you went very in depth explaining them. I think I hover around D

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
This thread doesn't have much use and it will eventually lead into a flame war because of hurt egos or whatever. Just focus on playing the game and constantly improving instead of trying to figure out where you or others are

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
very nice fire

i agree
as a new player i've just been constantly practicing whether offline in training mode or online against my friends, i dont reccomend fighting randoms because they are pretty easy to 3-5 stock

just keep practicing guyz

Bassic

Smash Apprentice
Anonymous chris is butt hurt. I also slapped him last night with his own character at our local smash get together. #poop

Top Bottom