• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle's Anti-Knockback

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry if this has already been discussed as I don't main Pokemon Trainer.

Once, when I was fighting Tabuu, I was using PT because his switch has just enough invincibility time to dodge all of Tabuu's rings. I switched into Squirtle and when Tabuu started to use his slap attack. (The one where he slaps the ground, but it has basically no knockback till the end, just flinching) I used Squirtle's withdraw and I went straight through it without getting any flinching or knockback, just damage. I think it had something to do with being in his shell because when I did the same thing by turning around, I didn't get flinched by his machine-gun like attack that shoots from his fingers.

Livetopwn247

Smash Rookie
I believe that's called Super Armor, and yes, for the frames he's in his shell during his turnaround and withdraw animations, he does have super armor. I'm not sure if it goes all around him, but I think withdraw only has the frames while he's on the ground.

Is this confirmed by anyone!?

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I just tested it with smart bombs and if you withdraw into them, Squirtle takes no damage. He stays in his shell for the whole animation and right after, he is thrown the opposite way (still in his shell) with no damage. It's pretty useful because I also used it to take no damage from a Zero Laser from Samus.

Doval

Smash Lord
Squirtle's Withdraw is also the only thing other than having Super Armor frames that can survive Taboo's instant-kill shockwaves (the ones from his wings.) That attack can't even be countered.

heroboy

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty sure Squirtle is completely invincible during his Withdraw attack, except for an enemy jumping on him. In which case, he flips like a koopa and does the "I'm a turtle, I can't flip back over".

ALFET

Smash Cadet
I got knee'd when returning with a withdraw, so I assume it doesn't apply mid air.

heroboy

Smash Cadet
withdraw works in the air, Ive used it to get back to the stage while suffering a strong attack, and I merely got knocked away like normal in a withdraw

R3v3nant

Smash Cadet
when squirtle uses withdraw he takes no damage and has a hard time getting knocked back. The only flaw is when you jump on him.

Medic

Smash Cadet
Actually, I find withdrawing from the air to be a horrid idea, as I tend to get reflected back the other way by every other character I play against. However, it is extemely handy to cut through campy characters and get into the area of their face as to begin simply beating them down. It's a risky move, but that temporary invincibility is worth it.

Top Bottom