• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle discussion has been dead, so here's a few simple tutorials.

jdmcwombat

Smash Cadet
NNID
SmashWombat
3DS FC
0087-2587-4693
Shameless self-promoter trying to get the word out on how good Squirtle is. This slippery squad leader has quite a few flashy tricks up his sleeve, and he takes advantage of many of Melee's Advanced techniques!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdIEz5YR_IY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JOYK3xkZRQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkYML782sC4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uekYSU9o_WY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPxcEq-amGs

Also, 3.0 - present (for future players) discussion thread. I'll answer what I can, and I'm sure other Squirtle players could help out, too!

SpiderMad

Smash Master
C-stick can reverse/shorten Aquajet, and he has two different hop heights while using withdraw.

Did you have any influences for the style of your videos, what programs do you use?

GenericName

Smash Apprentice
Um...Dafuq man. Why TACUS? You're just hydroplaning forward. With not nearly as much distance as a full ss hydroplane, but still a hydroplane none the less.

jdmcwombat

Smash Cadet
NNID
SmashWombat
3DS FC
0087-2587-4693
Um...Dafuq man. Why TACUS? You're just hydroplaning forward. With not nearly as much distance as a full ss hydroplane, but still a hydroplane none the less.
Hy-dro-plane or tac-us. Saying TACUS (Tac-kiss) is faster, and typing it is faster as well. TACUS TACUS TACUS. It's fun to say, too!

GenericName

Smash Apprentice
Except that it's already established that Squirtle's slide out of his pivoting is hydroplaning.

But if you cant use anything other than usmash, I dont see the benefit over a normal hydroplane, which gives much more momentum and the ability to use any smash,tilt, or grab.

Forward smashing with this would be nice. Reversing a normal hydroplane is a pain, and you're super vulnerable sliding backeard while charging an attack in the opposite direction.

But it is fun when the linger of his Fsmash smacks the opponent after it resumes momentum :p

jdmcwombat

Smash Cadet
NNID
SmashWombat
3DS FC
0087-2587-4693
Except that it's already established that Squirtle's slide out of his pivoting is hydroplaning.

But if you cant use anything other than usmash, I dont see the benefit over a normal hydroplane, which gives much more momentum and the ability to use any smash,tilt, or grab.

Forward smashing with this would be nice. Reversing a normal hydroplane is a pain, and you're super vulnerable sliding backeard while charging an attack in the opposite direction.

But it is fun when the linger of his Fsmash smacks the opponent after it resumes momentum :p
You can also F Smash while sliding backwards out of shell shift, or grab out of it. You can also just use shell shift as a speed boost for tricky RARs!

Burnsy

Smash Lord
I wish it were easier to hydroplane dsmash. The method where you hit the cstick at a perfect 45 degree angle rarely works for me. Feels like a 1 frame window. Anyone find another method to do this?

I think hydroplane dsmash would be really useful as a long range punish but its so hard to perform consistently that I wanna say its unviable :/

Last edited:

jdmcwombat

Smash Cadet
NNID
SmashWombat
3DS FC
0087-2587-4693
As far as I know, there is only one way, and it's hard as poop. ~Dad~ has probably the best tech skill with Squirtle, probably better than me. if anyone knows, it's him.

Last edited:

~Dad~

part time gay dad
Wombat I hate you so much for coining the term "TACUS" it's a hydroplaned up smash lol

~Dad~ has probably the best tech skill with Squirtle, probably better than me. if anyone knows, it's him.
<3

If there's another way I have no idea what it is. I just got good at it by grinding out tech skill and drinking with my friend
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Burnsy

Smash Lord
+1 for TACUS being a really dumb abbreviation that is completely different from the original term. It's like giving a unique name to wavedash usmash, but then still saying "wavedash fsmash/dsmash".

And no, there is no other method for reverse hydroplane usmash. You can't pivot into a reverse hydroplane because the pivot window does not begin early enough. Only jump will cancel your shell while your shellshift moves forward. Your input options are pretty much either tap jump/no tap jump for the JC and cstick/button for the usmash.

It really isn't that difficult to do. There is other Squirtle tech that is a lot more demanding. I don't generally like to brag, but I do think I may know the most about Squirtle tech.​

Last edited:

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
Thanks for the videos. I had no idea Squirtle could travel under stage with withdraw.

~Dad~

part time gay dad
+1 for TACUS being a really dumb abbreviation that is completely different from the original term. It's like giving a unique name to wavedash usmash, but then still saying "wavedash fsmash/dsmash".

And no, there is no other method for reverse hydroplane usmash. You can't pivot into a reverse hydroplane because the pivot window does not begin early enough. Only jump will cancel your shell while your shellshift moves forward. Your input options are pretty much either tap jump/no tap jump for the JC and cstick/button for the usmash.

It really isn't that difficult to do. There is other Squirtle tech that is a lot more demanding. I don't generally like to brag, but I do think I may know the most about Squirtle tech.​
Dude I want to play you so bad. I'm gonna come to AZ eventually and we can just do Squirtle stuff for like a whole day.

Chaos Archangel

Smash Cadet
These videos were great, I learned a bunch! Are there any other vids/guides exlpainnig hydroplaning?

WizGalen

Smash Rookie
There can different names for things, names and slang change over time, for example "toking". It is a personal preference, also now if he says it in a post you will understand what he is talking about. If you don't like it, keep it to yourself and just don’t use it then. Call it whatever you want when you post, but there is no need to be attacking people because they call it something different. It isn’t hurting you, also it is your opinion that the word TACUS is dumb, some people might like it. So let it go.

~Dad~

part time gay dad
There can different names for things, names and slang change over time, for example "toking". It is a personal preference, also now if he says it in a post you will understand what he is talking about. If you don't like it, keep it to yourself and just don’t use it then. Call it whatever you want when you post, but there is no need to be attacking people because they call it something different. It isn’t hurting you, also it is your opinion that the word TACUS is dumb, some people might like it. So let it go.

Having multiple names for a single technique is stupid. Just because I would rather call wavedashing "super scooting" doesn't mean that anyone should listen to me.

There is already an established name.

Using a second name for a technique will only cause confusion.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Wow, this immense butthurt.

Sorry man, reddit isn't allowed to make up its own AT names that only ~2000 or so PM redditors use (and lets be real, probably about 5 of those people care about what a "TACUS" is). Call it whatever you want in the privacy of your own home, sure, but it causes confusion among the general community when people try to establish new "official" names for tech. Especially if people are to just "call it whatever [they] want when [they] post" as you suggest.

It's been called reverse hydroplane usmash since Brawl for many years and there is little need for it to be renamed for the reasons I highlighted in the general discussion thread.

One of the most obvious reasons for keeping away from pointless renaming is that Squirtle has several hydroplane techniques which are MORE useful than reverse hydroplane usmash (your "TACUS") and they do not adopt something similar to an existing name or abbreviation because there is no analogous technique they can be compared to.

Let me reiterate that we aren't trying to oppress you by saying you cant call it what you want. By all means, call it a Slip n Slide Butt Blast (SnS-BB if you prefer :)!). But just let me say that people here learn it as "reverse hydroplane usmash" because we agreed to carry over Brawl tech names that made sense and worked the same, and there is a chance you will be not be understood simply because you wanna do it "your way".

edit: +1 for super scooting. Another +1 because it shares initials with shellshift. Way to keep it confusing bro ;)

Last edited:

Thetoymaker787

Smash Cadet
Shameless self-promoter trying to get the word out on how good Squirtle is. This slippery squad leader has quite a few flashy tricks up his sleeve, and he takes advantage of many of Melee's Advanced techniques!

Also, 3.0 - present (for future players) discussion thread. I'll answer what I can, and I'm sure other Squirtle players could help out, too!
Hey wombat, thanks for making the videos. I watched stuff you posted when I first started playing pm so I could learn squirtle and it helped a lot.

Thetoymaker787

Smash Cadet
I was farting around with C-Stick moonwalking, believe it or not. Randomly threw out a huge hydropivot on accident. It took like a half hour to do it again.
sorry I took so long to answer. I don't use Smashboards
Lol I don't use it very often

Top Bottom