• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle Combos?

Iceshard

Smash Rookie
I've only been playing project M for a few months and have been wondering what your main go to Squirtle combos are. Thanks in advance for sharing what you guys have come up with!

Mtank

Smash Cadet
side-b -> forward air/back air/dsmash right when you land
dtilt-> forward air
dmash->dmash (really)
up throw-> forward air
shorthop down b-> dtilt-> forward air
shorthop down b-> forward smash/dmash
just a few, but remember to be innovative, and always try to learn more and more combos and never become predictable.
-best squirtle player out here (really)

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
A lot of offstage side kill moves are usually a sourspot-sweetspot combo
A lot of combos start with watergun or bubble, allowing squirtle to get in their space and frick their crap up

Comboing with nair is tricky since the opponent can't reliably DI because they could be sent almost any direction depending where it hits, so you really have to get good at hitting the right spots on nair.

Grab-upthrow-uptilt-uptilt-ftilt-regrab
or just grab-upthrow-uptilt-regrab

D-smash-dsmash is always fun.

Nair-nair-nair is fun

withdraw - fair is a goto classic, bit overused though

W/draw W/draw W/draw W/draw Fair. For those walk across the stage combos, the opponent can't tech the landings though or it doesn't work. It's a scrub killer combo, I call it the stage scrubber.

A lot of moves actually combo really nicely into shell-sling up-air (also known as the move that can hit anywhere at anytime), which can kill if done high above stage (which is usually is so you can get them in tumble)

crawlAttack to pivot grab is great.

for the adventurous type you can get the back hit on a shellshifted reverse f-smash, you will slide right under the opponent as the fly back, you can up-smash, or nair to kill

BUT. The single best reliable combo of all time is D-throw (at low-mid%) to shellshifted Up-smash, there is no cooler a move or kill IMO, and if they DI way up (and/or have high damage) you can just shell-sling up-air or even nair. D-throw Shellshifted upsmash is great against fastfallers like fox

In fact, I have some videos of some combos against CPUs, sometimes they don't DI correctly and have horrible positioning, but most of these are legit combos that I have in one way or another pulled off many a time against very competent human opponents.

Last edited:

Jackson

Smash Lord
It seems like Nair is a good combo tool, but I always seem to miss the L cancelling timing when it actually hits an opponent. I think I've conditioned myself to always press L right after I fast fall to SHFFL, which usually works, but in this case its messing me up...

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
It seems like Nair is a good combo tool, but I always seem to miss the L cancelling timing when it actually hits an opponent. I think I've conditioned myself to always press L right after I fast fall to SHFFL, which usually works, but in this case its messing me up...
Sourpatch combos, like sourspot fair into sweetspot fair/nair are really common with squirtle's offstage game, particularly because people will be DI-ing up to avoid the side blast line

Jackson

Smash Lord
Sourpatch combos, like sourspot fair into sweetspot fair/nair are really common with squirtle's offstage game, particularly because people will be DI-ing up to avoid the side blast line
True, that's good advice. So this sour spot to sweet spot combo should be used often?

tripp6313

Smash Apprentice
D smash into anything is a thing haha. I have been working on D Smash into grab as a tool that i'm starting to dig on.

f throw>wavedash>dsmash

SH>bubble>dsmash...its repeatable as well if they tech neutral :D

Utilt>UpAir

watergun>grab is a thing as well if it hits

Shell turn around into any hydroplane technique is legit.

Crawling tilt>Usmash is a true combo :D

pretty much there are a lot of stuff that has great follow up... its pretty legit and honeslty if done right the tech chase can go FOREVER

BIGSmeez

Smash Cadet
NNID
BIGSmeez
3DS FC
0920-1652-8184
If you have good movement with squirtle your combo game will improve like crazy, I mainly play squirtle cause his movement makes his combo game fun and hard to deal with

~Dad~

part time gay dad
If you have good movement with squirtle your combo game will improve like crazy, I mainly play squirtle cause his movement makes his combo game fun and hard to deal with
Yeah once you get your movement down you'll just carry people side to side across the stage.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Wdraw -> USmash is a pretty reliable ko combo at higher percents. You usualy slide the perfect distance after you land where your Usmash is right under or next to you.

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
Wdraw -> USmash is a pretty reliable ko combo at higher percents. You usualy slide the perfect distance after you land where your Usmash is right under or next to you.
I prefer up-throw into U-smash at higher percents very effective against fast fallers.

By the way, as a general announcement

Killing off the top of the stage with waterfall is the 2nd manliest way to take a stock (on stages like yoshi's story you can u-air ladder people up into position). Waterfall combos are so real, so raw, so salty, so safe (on platform stages) my squirtle bros, you must try them out.

the manliest way to kill is still of course getting a reverse hit with hydroplaned F-smash, sliding under them as they fly off, and up-smashing. Since this is very percentage/DI dependent you can also shellsling after them after the reverse hit to nair (still awesome)

Last edited:
Top Bottom