• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
I am so mad at the misconceptions still going around at mewtwo

All of my replays are going to be lost which is a bit annoying, I still want to do my shadow ball guide I just need time and as of tomorrow I will have a lot more time available.

Im also going to make a video, maybe tonight showing mewtwos true combos just so I can shove it in peoples faces when they say 'mewtwo has no combos' while they obsess over marios mad combos of utilt, utilt utilt, utilt utilt utilt and utilt utilit utilt utilt.
Weren't you going to make the video weeks ago? I would like to see these combos that don't involve sourspot Utilt at high %.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
You guys overrate Roy IMO. He's good but not top tier. He's mid tier at best.

All of his aerials have a decent amount of landing lag and can't autocancel out of a short hop (except for nair... His nair is honestly his best aerial). He has very short range and has to go really close to really do anything. For reference, his sword is shorter than Marth by quite a lot. His frame data in general is pretty meh with the exception of a few moves. His moves do have pretty low startup, but it can be punished rather easily because of the endlag. He's not a very safe character... His neutral game is meh, but when he wins he wins hard. Characters that aren't very safe are wrecked in the meta filled with extremely safe characters like Sheik, Yoshi, Pikachu, etc. His offstage game is pretty bad too. In general his air game is weak (juggles with uair are pretty good though)

I'll give credit where it's due though. His kill power is pretty insane. The sweet spot on his sword is huge so it isn't hard to kill either. His grab combos at low percents are actually pretty good. I found out that he actually has a pseudo chaingrab on certain characters... D-throw => jab, rinse and repeat. He has a rather low shorthop which is really good in conjunction with his safe and strong nair and is even better considering Roy is a fast faller. In general he's a really quick character. His jab is very unlaggy and is a lot like Mewtwo's jab 1, it can combo into quite a lot of things. His recovery is actually better than I expected, even if it's not great. At the very least his horizontal recovery is better than Marth's.

All in all, Roy is a decent character. He's a pretty good rushdown that can kill well. His greatest weakness is his frame data and range.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Seeing Roy's portrait in Melee side by side with Smash 4's one really shows that his original appearance hasn't aged well, just seeing him makes you want to give the poor kid a sandwich. I just can't get over how cool his new look is.

Edit: I keep seeing and hearing here and there that Hyrule Castle and Peach's Castle were announced just for the Wii U version, but the truth is that Sakurai never specified. I also haven't found any official source confirming nor denying that. I hope that is not the case because I WANT that Hyrule Castle for my 3DS.

Last edited:

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Fan favorite Characters that were cut and demanded be back as Dlc: meh tier

Character that Crapcom asked to be playable: OP as **** tier

...so who else feels like a sheep for falling for this crap?

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910

It hasn't even been 24 hours since the characters have been released! Let's not jump to conclusions yet. :p

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996

Too early too consider Ryu OP and Roy and Lucas mediocre.

And you are way off base using the term tier this soon.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
So I played a lot of Charizard today. I'm so sorry I ever doubted you Sakurai... I was wrong! Making down-throw into a combo move and up-throw into a kill move is awesome. Seismic Toss OP. Gonna miss breathing fire into enemies' faces to kill them, but Seismic Toss makes up for it. Seems like these changes buffed Charizard quite a lot! Thanks, Sakurai~

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
After playing as Ryu a little, I noticed something. Outside of input Shoryuken, he doesn't have a lot of kill power. So he's half Sheik and half Little Mac, terrible recovery but good comboer. I'm still having problems with the inputs, half the time I try Shoryuken I mess up and use Hadouken. Shakunetsu is also fairly tricky to use

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101

Eh, I don't think Ryu is OP at all. He's a good character that's probably going to be beast in the right hands, but he's not broken. As it stands, I think Ryu has some great TruCombos™ and excellent power, but I feel like his recovery is pretty predictable and overall weak, especially since he doesn't have a wall jump. Plus, I think Ryu's air game is rather mediocre, since his aerials have seem to have very poor range. His D-Air is the only one that I've seen people using consistently, and that's because it's a very good meteor smash. The diagonal angle allows you to spike opponents offstage while remaining onstage. Not many characters have that ability.

Also, while Ryu is very powerful, his running speed is only decent, so he won't be able to rush you down like Captain Falcon can. That said, Ryu also has a good projectile, Hadouken, something most heavy-hitters lack. Plus, once Ryu does get up close to you, he's absolutely terrifying. His strong F-Tilt smashes shields, his strong D-Tilt combos into just about everything, Shoryuken EX can handle close-range KO's, and he has a plethora of other strong moves at his disposal. Also, Focus Attack, while incredibly useful when it connects, seems very predictable and difficult to land. It only stuns the opponent at maximum charge, and only an idiot would attack Ryu while he's charging it up, so I think it'll be a very situational move. In that way, I think Focus Attack is a lot like Disable. Oh, and Ryu's D-Smash only hits on one side, so he has a harder time punishing rolls.

All things considered, I think Ryu will turn out to be a solid high-tier character, but I think it's going to take awhile for someone to really get the hang of him. He's nowhere near broken, though. I think the key to winning against him will be to keep him in the air, make sure he doesn't get near you, and try to get him offstage. Those are his weak points, so use them to your advantage!

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Jesus christ did Lucas's PSI Magnet always do this much knockback? I killed Ness offstage at friggen 70% with that
The SmashWiki doesn't say anything about an power buff for PSI Magnet, so I guess so. If that's the case, then, since it wasn't an issue in Brawl, I don't think it'll be an issue here. Thanks for the heads-up, though!

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
Ryu is not THAT op. Not when matched up with our fair lady it seems. Like, every Ryu I fought had trouble approaching Mewtwo as it was like Ryu was fighting someone with Tiger Shots, Soul Reflect, Yoga Teleport, and Hugo's reach and throws all in one package. Just outpatience Ryu, and don't fall for his FADC mind games and it shouldn't be too difficult to control the match.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I just found out that Ryu can use Focus Attack to totally tank Little Mac's KO Punch. Talk about power! Also, Shoryuken can't be properly countered. Because Ryu is invincible when he uses it, the opponent will attempt to attack Ryu after Shoryuken connects, but, instead of successfully countering it, they'll run straight into the sweet spot.

Honestly, I think Focus Attack is going to wind up being an extremely important move in Ryu's metagame, since he can use it to tank just about anything and then immediately cancel it afterwards. I mean, I don't think it's OP or anything, but I do think that it's an absolutely fantastic move. I'm interested to see how Ryu's metagame will develop, what with his unique Special Move inputs and attack traits. He could definitely wind up being one of the most technical, competitive-oriented characters in Smash 4. I expect to see several top-level players picking him up soon.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I just found out that Ryu can use Focus Attack to totally tank Little Mac's KO Punch. Talk about power! Also, Shoryuken can't be properly countered. Because Ryu is invincible when he uses it, the opponent will attempt to attack Ryu after Shoryuken connects, but, instead of successfully countering it, they'll run straight into the sweet spot.

Honestly, I think Focus Attack is going to wind up being an extremely important move in Ryu's metagame, since he can use it to tank just about anything and then immediately cancel it afterwards. I mean, I don't think it's OP or anything, but I do think that it's an absolutely fantastic move. I'm interested to see how Ryu's metagame will develop, what with his unique Special Move inputs and attack traits. He could definitely wind up being one of the most technical, competitive-oriented characters in Smash 4. I expect to see several top-level players picking him up soon.
It basically gives him a third jump too.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I can't play Ryu at all. I am really bad with that character and I don't like how he plays. :c

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I'm pretty cruddy with Ryu, mostly because I suck at inputting the EX versions of his Specials. I'm sure I've said this before, but I've never played a Fighting-game outside of Smash, so I understand that my lack of experience with such inputs is probably the biggest reason as to why I can't reliably pull them off. Still, I'm working on getting better at inputting the EX Specials, and I hope that I'll be able to play, at the very least, a subpar Ryu someday. Despite his high learning curve, I actually find Ryu pretty fun to play. There's nothing quite like tanking a Falcon Punch and then counterattacking a second later:laugh:.

That said, as bad as I am with Ryu, I'm glad he's there for those who like him. I'm sure that there are tons of people who enjoy his relatively complicated, more traditional playstyle. I think that several top-level competitive players will eventually pick Ryu up due to his competitively geared moveset and overall depth as a fighter. Who knows? Maybe some traditional Fighting-game players will decide to try Smash out because Ryu's in it. That'd be awesome!

If nothing else, it's nice to have a character in Smash that plays more traditionally. It's very interesting, and there's no one quite like Ryu on the roster. Honestly, I wouldn't mind having Ryu as a series mainstay, given how unique he is.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm pretty cruddy with Ryu, mostly because I suck at inputting the EX versions of his Specials. I'm sure I've said this before, but I've never played a Fighting-game outside of Smash, so I understand that my lack of experience with such inputs is probably the biggest reason as to why I can't reliably pull them off. Still, I'm working on getting better at inputting the EX Specials, and I hope that I'll be able to play, at the very least, a subpar Ryu someday. Despite his high learning curve, I actually find Ryu pretty fun to play. There's nothing quite like tanking a Falcon Punch and then counterattacking a second later:laugh:.

That said, as bad as I am with Ryu, I'm glad he's there for those who like him. I'm sure that there are tons of people who enjoy his relatively complicated, more traditional playstyle. I think that several top-level competitive players will eventually pick Ryu up due to his competitively geared moveset and overall depth as a fighter. Who knows? Maybe some traditional Fighting-game players will decide to try Smash out because Ryu's in it. That'd be awesome!

If nothing else, it's nice to have a character in Smash that plays more traditionally. It's very interesting, and there's no one quite like Ryu on the roster. Honestly, I wouldn't mind having Ryu as a series mainstay, given how unique he is.
:GCD::GCDR::GCR::GCA:Hadouken
:GCD::GCDL::GCL::GCA:Tatsumake Senpuukyaku
:GCR::GCD::GCDR::GCA:Shoryuken
:GCL::GCDL::GCD::GCDR::GCA:Shakunetsu Hadouken

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910

Offtopic, but I'm a bit curious as to what your avatar is. :3

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
:GCD::GCDR::GCR::GCA:Hadouken
:GCD::GCDL::GCL::GCA:Tatsumake Senpuukyaku
:GCR::GCD::GCDR::GCA:Shoryuken
:GCL::GCDL::GCD::GCDR::GCA:Shakunetsu Hadouken
I appreciate the gesture, but I already know all the EX inputs. For me, the issue lies more in actually inputting the EX Specials, not memorizing them. Ryu always moves around all willy-nilly whenever I try to use the EX Specials, so I figure I just need to practice until I get faster and more precise with my inputs. I'm sure I'll get there eventually. I actually read that, when inputting Shoryuken EX, it's a lot easier if you imagine that you're drawing "Z" with the L-Stick. I'll have try that out the next time I play!

Once again, though, even if I didn't really need it, I seriously appreciate your effort to help me. Thanks!
Offtopic, but I'm a bit curious as to what your avatar is. :3
It's fan art of my favorite character from Splatoon. His name is Spyke, and he's an anthropomorphic sea urchin that lives in the back alleys of Inkopolis Plaza. He can reroll your gear, add ability slots to it, or even give you gear that you ordered from other players. Plus, to top it all off, he talks with a heavy British accent! He's my favorite character, for both functionality and personality.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I think Ryu seems slightly out of place, much like Snake did in Brawl, I'm also not a fan of how complicated he is.
Oh well, it's not like I have to buy him.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I think Ryu seems slightly out of place, much like Snake did in Brawl, I'm also not a fan of how complicated he is.
Oh well, it's not like I have to buy him.
Really? I don't think he feels out of place at all, or, at least, not to the extent of Snake in Brawl. I mean, for starters, he's a Fighting-game character in a Fighting-game. I know that Smash isn't a traditional Fighting-game, but I feel like Ryu still manages to mesh in nicely with the rest of the cast. Plus, it's not like he's supposed to be a realistic character. Ryu goes around shooting fireballs from his palms and doing tornado kicks on a regular basis, not to mention vocalizing every single attack. In that regard, I think he's a bit like Captain Falcon, and Captain Falcon is basically the face of Super Smash Bros.

I've actually seen a few other people say this exact same thing, and I think a lot of it stems from two things. For one, Ryu is third-party. That automatically sets him apart from the rest of the cast, and I think that can make it difficult to look at what's the same instead of what's different. If Samus was third-party, I think a lot of people would say that she doesn't fit in, either.

For another thing, Ryu has his unique control scheme and EX Specials going on. I agree that those gimmicks somewhat alienate him from the rest of the cast, but you also have to consider that several other characters have gimmicks that set them apart from the rest of the roster. Rosalina has Luma, Little Mac has the Power Meter, Robin has durability, Olimar has his Pikmin, and I'm sure that there are other, similar characters that I'm forgetting. Granted, all of these characters' gimmicks stay within Smash's unique control scheme, while Ryu's ventures outside of it somewhat. I agree that Ryu's gimmick can seem extreme, and I do think that it differentiates him to a further degree than the other gimmicky characters, but I don't think that it's drastically alienating by any stretch of the imagination. I simply think that it's just another gimmick, however more extreme it may be.

Just to wrap up, I think the reason most people think Ryu doesn't fit in is because, at first glance, he seems different because of his unique gimmick and third-party nature. If you ask me, it's more people's perception of Ryu that makes him seem out of place, rather than Ryu himself being the odd one out.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
It's odd how people always talk about how Ryu and Snake don't go in because they aren't cartoony enough or whatever, but no one ever questions Samus.
It's got to be that they're third party.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
My internet is being a pain right now. Tried playing online, but the few matches I had were extremely laggy. I tried watching some videos, but they kept pausing and/or were at terrible resolutions. I'm dying of boredom.

Ugh, I hope this gets better by the time Nintendo starts streaming their presentation tomorrow.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I just noticed that all of the third parties have a pretty unique playstyle! Megaman, Pacman, Ryu, and Snake all have their own gimmicks and are rather innovative compared to the rest of the cast.

and then there's Sonic

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I just noticed that all of the third parties have a pretty unique playstyle! Megaman, Pacman, Ryu, and Snake all have their own gimmicks and are rather innovative compared to the rest of the cast.

and then there's Sonic
Sonic: The only character in Smash Bros. with two moves that do the exact same thing! :p

I kid, I kid. I know that Spin Dash and Spin Charge serve two completely different functions, but I still think that having two moves that are so similar is a little redundant. In Brawl, I didn't question it because Sonic was made on such short notice, but why he kept both Spin Dash and Spin Charge in Smash 4 is beyond me. If I were to design Sonic, I would fuse all of Spin Dash's advantages and all of Spin Charge's advantages into one attack, choose one Custom from each old move and give them both to the new move, give it Spin Dash's moniker, and map this new move to his Down-B. Then, I would give Sonic a new Side-B called Sonic Boost, which would basically be a chargeable Fox Illusion. I mean, the Sonic Boost is pretty the modern Sonic games' trademark, so I don't see why it shouldn't be represented in Smash, especially since Sonic currently has two Spin Dash-esque moves. Of course, that's just what I personally would do.

Gui JP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Twishine
3DS FC
0791-1410-6660
I spent quite some time playing Ryu, then finally showed Lucas some love.
I spent the first few minutes of a match trying to input commands for him. ;-;

No regrets dropping $20.
It's fun to go for those combos with Ryu, Roy is essentially the anti-FG player (they miss that grab, they're getting the hilt), and Lucas is... well, he's Lucas. Albeit he's also fun to play, just can't go off-stage as much as I'd like.

Also, Focus Attacks to set up for the command shoryuken.
:yeahboi:

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Wow.

So recently I was replaying FF7 out of nostalgia, and it turns out that the remake is actually going to happen. Yet another reason for me to get the PS4.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
So, I can't be only the one excited for Peach's Castle, can I? I mean, don't get me wrong, I love Dream Land 64 and Hyrule Castle, but I really enjoyed Peach's Castle's platform setup back in the day. It just never got boring for me, which can't be said about most of the other stages in Smash 64.

Top Bottom