• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
You guys remember when SB would send you halfway across the level?
Ah yeah, I really miss that. Shadow Ball was hilarious.

Somewhere along the lines, they got rid of the special animation when Mewtwo air dodges holding an item. It's technically a buff, since it gives Mewtwo more stealth, but the effect was just so cool that I'm kind of sad that its gone.

C3CC

Smash Lord
I also miss the explosions the Shadow Balls made when they collided against a wall. It was just aesthetic, but it looked awesome and intimidating. That also goes for the electric effect his standing-up-after-being-attacked move had.

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I miss the old back throw he had in Melee.
He had his feet planted, maneuvered the victim with one hand, and then thrust his other hand to launch them.
It just felt more powerful to me.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Or there's what was taken from him and given to the blue dog, hitbox on the projectile charge. Doesn't even get a custom to get it back.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Oh man, can you imagine if Mewtwo had Lucario's Aura Sphere tricks?

Imagine the Shadow Ball charge into an out-of-shield Up-Smash. That'd be so stupid.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Oh man, can you imagine if Mewtwo had Lucario's Aura Sphere tricks?

Imagine the Shadow Ball charge into an out-of-shield Up-Smash. That'd be so stupid.
I was praying for the return of his charging hitbox, but seeing how well he's being doing lately it would be best not to give him too much power.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
The final chapter of the ORAS manga just came out:

The Final Day. With the Magma/Aqua suits ready and outfitted with Keystones, Rayquaza swoops in and grabs Ruby/Sapphire with it's claws and heads into Outer Space. Finally being able to Mega Evolve, Ruby/Sapphire order a Dragon Ascent just as Steven orders the Hoenn army of Pokemon to combine their attacks.

The strength of the two attacks succeed in destroying the meteor, but to everyone's shock Deoxys breaks open from it's "triangle" disrupting the video/audio feed back on Earth. In a panic, Emerald orders Hoopa to rescue them, but comically is only able to pull out large rocks, dropping them on top of the Magma/Aqua Admins.

Giovanni silently realizes that this entire calamity was Team Rocket's fault, revealing that they launched "Organism 1" back into space after they rejected it during the events of FRLG; fueling it's desire for revenge. Deoxys uses it's psychic powers to launch a hailstorm of meteorites at Sootopolis directly, but are stopped by the Hoenn army.

Having been told about the events of FRLG from Red, Sapphire orders Rayquaza to attack Deoxys' core; shattering it and leaving it's "dead" body to float away into the vacuum of space.

With the battle over, Sapphire notices that her tickets for the meteor shower were destroyed during the fighting, with Ruby, holding her hand, pointing out they can just watch the shower while they float around in space. Not surprisingly, Rayquaza rescues them and flies back to drop them off just as they pass out from exhaustion.

Kind of a simple and predictable ending compared to the other chapters. It will definitely be expanded upon with added XY references (it's already confirmed TF had agents in Hoenn to still Devon Corp tech) once it's collected within volume format. There are still a few Megas that have yet to appear as well as Unbound Hoopa & Volcanion (?).

It's rather ironic that ORAS finished before B2W2 and XY (which will have 3 more chapters). At least this means the workload of the author/mangakan has lightened, and with rumors of Volume 53 FINALLY releasing after 2 years, the series' 20th anniversary is looking to be exciting.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
After a couple of months of not using Mewtwo in Smash Bros., when I come back to him I found myself rusty and losing badly with him, I've also noticed that the usage of Mewtwo online has increased significantly. I've been focused on DK and Zelda for the last weeks that my level with Mewtwo has decreased. Gotta relearn this character from zero. In the past, I fancied myself someone who could learn several characters but with how humongous the roster of the last couple of games has become, turns out that is a herculean task. For example, I could never get into Shulk due to how demanding it is to manage his arts during battle. Though I was able to overcome the learning curve for Megaman and can easily pick him any time. Don't ask me to do the Kamemushi combo though, footstool combos are a b**** for me.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
After a couple of months of not using Mewtwo in Smash Bros., when I come back to him I found myself rusty and losing badly with him, I've also noticed that the usage of Mewtwo online has increased significantly. I've been focused on DK and Zelda for the last weeks that my level with Mewtwo has decreased. Gotta relearn this character from zero. In the past, I fancied myself someone who could learn several characters but with how humongous the roster of the last couple of games has become, turns out that is a herculean task. For example, I could never get into Shulk due to how demanding it is to manage his arts during battle. Though I was able to overcome the learning curve for Megaman and can easily pick him any time. Don't ask me to do the Kamemushi combo though, footstool combos are a b**** for me.
I'm in a similar situation, at least for Mewtwo. I dropped the character shortly after hearing about the infinite, then focused all of my attention on Robin and Roy. Heck, with Roy, I didn't even use the character that much before July and now he's probably my second best because of how rusty I am with Mewtwo. Granted, last time I used Mewtwo, I had to deal with having not used him in a long time and getting used to a different controller layout since I switched from the gamecube controller to the wii classic pro. I decided to pick Mewtwo back up as a serious secondary since I'll be able to start going to tournaments in a few months.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
On the flip side, my Mewtwo is better than ever. I find only a small portion of the Mewtwos I face on For Glory are really trying to use him to his full potential. Most of them seem to think his neutral game only consist of Nair and Shadow Ball for some reason. And the worst ones don't even try to nair - they just attempt at Shadow Ball camping.

I'm been trying to learn to play Palutena lately. I'm a big KI:U fan, but I don't think the Pits are that fun to play, so I've been giving her a go instead. I have a hard time shaking off all of my Mewtwo habits when I use her, though. I always get the timing wrong on her jab 1 combos and use her Up Smash at absolutely horrible times.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
On the flip side, my Mewtwo is better than ever. I find only a small portion of the Mewtwos I face on For Glory are really trying to use him to his full potential. Most of them seem to think his neutral game only consist of Nair and Shadow Ball for some reason. And the worst ones don't even try to nair - they just attempt at Shadow Ball camping.

I'm been trying to learn to play Palutena lately. I'm a big KI:U fan, but I don't think the Pits are that fun to play, so I've been giving her a go instead. I have a hard time shaking off all of my Mewtwo habits when I use her, though. I always get the timing wrong on her jab 1 combos and use her Up Smash at absolutely horrible times.
I find that there are two main differences between FG and offline. FG is frame trap based, while offline is more punish based. FG is a place where powerful options are used because they work, while offline players understand that the most optimal option isn't always optimal. For example, He who strikes first continually on FG losses. It is super easy to punish there option because you have an extra 10-20 frames to react to it.

Granted, I did have a M2 that was reliant on only a few things. Thankfully, I have developed a rather diverse playstyle. My main problem is now remembering all my options.

TL;DR: FG is M2K circa 2007.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I think the deal with For Glory is that you see a lot of semi-competitive players that don't got to tournaments. They don't know how to, or can't be bother to, find ways to play safely outside of projectile spam. Most of them don't really have a real strategy, and I doubt they know how to avoid autopilot.

Granted, I don't have a local tournament scene either, but I do a lot of studying and practice, so I do know how to play safe and I have developed a few strategies to avoid autopilot, and I'm continuously getting better. There also are some great players amongst the rubble on For Glory if you spend enough time looking for them, so I tend to seek out players who are better from me and learn from them.

Once I get a better controller, I'm planning to swap to Anther's Ladder for good. But as it is now, my choices are between the Wii Remote+Nunchuk(which I'm not willing to learn) and a chewed up Gamepad(literally - I had no clue my dog would be such a heavy chewer when I got her.)

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

I think the deal with For Glory is that you see a lot of semi-competitive players that don't got to tournaments. They don't know how to, or can't be bother to, find ways to play safely outside of projectile spam. Most of them don't really have a real strategy, and I doubt they know how to avoid autopilot.

Granted, I don't have a local tournament scene either, but I do a lot of studying and practice, so I do know how to play safe and I have developed a few strategies to avoid autopilot, and I'm continuously getting better. There also are some great players amongst the rubble on For Glory if you spend enough time looking for them, so I tend to seek out players who are better from me and learn from them.

Once I get a better controller, I'm planning to swap to Anther's Ladder for good. But as it is now, my choices are between the Wii Remote+Nunchuk(which I'm not willing to learn) and a chewed up Gamepad(literally - I had no clue my dog would be such a heavy chewer when I got her.)
Be forewarned that Anther's has it's share of laggy spammers in the lower ranks. Other then that, it's a good tool.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Granted, I don't have a local tournament scene either,
This is also my curse, state and all.

As for my M2 status, I still have trouble doing consistent Footstools, but I'd rather have my neutral/footsies down as top priority. That's why I groan when I watch an FG M2. Alot of them watch Abadango play and NAir in neutral, which is a horrible idea. Like, you're playing a character with a potentially top tier neutral and you just want style. Stop.

In other news, to any fans of a fellow mistake(Aka Godzilla), Shin Godzilla's scheduled for a limited theatrical release next month. Check your location before getting tickets, though.

Sonicninja115

This is also my curse, state and all.

As for my M2 status, I still have trouble doing consistent Footstools, but I'd rather have my neutral/footsies down as top priority. That's why I groan when I watch an FG M2. Alot of them watch Abadango play and NAir in neutral, which is a horrible idea. Like, you're playing a character with a potentially top tier neutral and you just want style. Stop.

In other news, to any fans of a fellow mistake(Aka Godzilla), Shin Godzilla's scheduled for a limited theatrical release next month. Check your location before getting tickets, though.
Ehhhh... Nair in Neutral is useful. However, Aba doesn't have many options out of it. Look at Rich Brown. He is able to consistently get a reward off of it. This in itself makes it okay. Also, it is character dependent. The worst Greninja could do against it is Fair him, however, Fair is so slow that it takes quite a bit of maneuvering to punish it on reaction. If you get readable with your Nairs, then stop. But if you mix it up enough, then it isn't bad at all.

TL;DR, Don't eschew it. Use it. for example, Phasing is incredibly easy to punish if read and overused. Good options become bad when overused. Bad options can be good when used correctly.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I don't have a scene here either, so I have to rely on online to get most of my enjoyment out of the game. Though I've faced some insanely good players in FG at times. I cannot use Anther's Ladder effectively because most of the users live in the west so it's difficult to have a lag free environment.
I do have a group of people I play with around here, two of them being competent though I still win most of our matches. The others, well... they fall prey to lots of bad habits. One guy's playstyle revolves around rolling away then follow with projectile if their character has one or charge an F-Smash when I'm starting to close up, he utilizes the same style no matter which character he is using and it works as well as you'd think. Another has the terrible habit of always using Down Air when above me, especially if they have a stall & dive dair such as Sonic's and Sheik's. Literally always. I just wait patiently, shield and punish but he never ever learns which is a bit frustrating. And there is another guy who always approaches with Dash Attack.
One time though, I decided to make the matches interesting by playing 2v1, with team attack on and I would be choosing the stages of course. It was fun.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Bad tactics are bad because they have easy counters, regardless of how predictable you are with them. Just because you hit someone with a bad tactic doesn't mean it isn't bad anymore. The player didn't deal with it correctly.

Doing the same thing over and over is not a great tactic either, but it's more complicated to figure out how to deal with it.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I lack a scene in my city as well but I'm working towards getting my g2 and a vehicle since there's a scene an hours drive away. As for FG and Anthers, I rarely go on the former and only went on the latter once. I'd rather be rusty when I go to my first tournament than be used to lag. Plus, I like having an actual stage list (only a problem with FG.)

I've got my cousin to play against in 1v1 but since we're the only ones in person for each other to play against, we get used to each others habits and fight the same characters over and over again. We both at least use a top tier with him having a Fox, me having a Mewtwo and Mario and we both have a Cloud.

Sonicninja115

Heads up! Rich Brown got 2nd at Syndicate, beating quite a few of Europes top talent. Also, RiVer got 49th!

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
To me, WaDi is definitely the Mewtwo that's on the rise. He double eliminated 6WX at a Xanadu a while ago.

Anyways, I took a break from this forum, kinda because a lot of what I've said is kinda.. stupid, I must admit.

Sonicninja115

To me, WaDi is definitely the Mewtwo that's on the rise. He double eliminated 6WX at a Xanadu a while ago.

Anyways, I took a break from this forum, kinda because a lot of what I've said is kinda.. stupid, I must admit.
That's life?

And yeah, Wadi has the potential to be really good.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
So I've been doing a Pokémon Platinum Nuzlocke for youtube, and I ran into this guy a few days ago:

Screen Shot 2016-09-09 at 11.35.09 PM.png

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
God damnit! Even if it is a Kricketot! Only shinies I've ever had are the Gyarados from Lake of Rage and a shiny Feebas/Milotic I got in a trade. Never seen a true shiny in the wild. As for nuzlockes, I've done one for Firered and one for Heartgold. Beat the FR one and got through the Elite Four and the champion without losing a single Pokemon somehow. Only took me 2 tries. HG one took me ages and in the end I didn't even win. Got to Lance's last Dragonite and lost. Currently half-heartedly doing a nuzlocke of Black 2. I wanna do a nuzlocke of its hard mode when I finish beating it. Already done at least a dozen tries since the beginning of that game is vicious. Took a break once I got to the third gym.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
In terms of Nuzlockes, I've done a fair few. I did a LeafGreen Wedlocke and got to the Seafoam Islands before I took a (still ongoing) break. I'm grinding for the Kimono Girls in Heartgold but because of how bad the level distribution is I've gotten bored of grinding. I've done a few of X but rarely break past Cliff (or whatever the second gym leader is). There's also my ongoing platinum one for youtube (Not sure what the rules are about advertising here so I'll play it safe until a moderator tells me it's okay~)

In terms of Shinies, I've gotten a few, but only 2 before gen 6 increased the shiny odds. The first one (and my first shiny ever that wasn't Red Gyarados) was a Weedle in FireRed. I named it "Shiny" because I was 8 and not that creative >~<

Other than that, I've found Flabébé, Tranquill, and Psyduck in Y, and Medicham in Alpha Sapphire, and that Kricketot up there.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Yeah, nuzlocking HG was not fun. So much grinding needed just to get far and there's 4 bosses in particular that can die in a fire. Whitney for what should be obvious reasons, Chuck and Koga for their Double Team strats and Lance because he's either super hard if you don't have a water or ice type or super easy if you do and in a nuzlocke, you don't exactly get that freedom and he's the final boss of the main game.

I believe when ORAS came out, I tried playing AS normally at first and then abandoned it at Mauville then tried to nuzlocke OR and once again, abandoned it at Mauville. Never beat X or Y either despite getting to the Elite Four and 8th gym respectively.

Sonicninja115

In terms of Nuzlockes, I've done a fair few. I did a LeafGreen Wedlocke and got to the Seafoam Islands before I took a (still ongoing) break. I'm grinding for the Kimono Girls in Heartgold but because of how bad the level distribution is I've gotten bored of grinding. I've done a few of X but rarely break past Cliff (or whatever the second gym leader is). There's also my ongoing platinum one for youtube (Not sure what the rules are about advertising here so I'll play it safe until a moderator tells me it's okay~)

In terms of Shinies, I've gotten a few, but only 2 before gen 6 increased the shiny odds. The first one (and my first shiny ever that wasn't Red Gyarados) was a Weedle in FireRed. I named it "Shiny" because I was 8 and not that creative >~<

Other than that, I've found Flabébé, Tranquill, and Psyduck in Y, and Medicham in Alpha Sapphire, and that Kricketot up there.
Just don't use this as an advertising forum. As long as you are talking and posting, it's fine if you occasionally rep your newest video or channel. Nothing blatant please.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yeah, nuzlocking HG was not fun. So much grinding needed just to get far and there's 4 bosses in particular that can die in a fire. Whitney for what should be obvious reasons, Chuck and Koga for their Double Team strats and Lance because he's either super hard if you don't have a water or ice type or super easy if you do and in a nuzlocke, you don't exactly get that freedom and he's the final boss of the main game.
The main problem with Lance is his Aerodactyl, since its base speed is 130. As a result, Aerodactyl can really cause problems for your team, even if your Pokemon has the attacks to take it down. If you're lucky enough to acquire a Scizor with Bullet Punch, however, then Aerodactyl can be taken down more easily, assuming that Scizor has the Technician ability of course.

The other option is level grinding your Pokemon to a high enough level, and even then, it would have to be a fast Pokemon.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
in my main HG file, I just used DDance + Ice Fang Gyarados and swept through Lance cleanly. Took me like half a year to beat Whitney though, that was annoying. In my nuzlocke file, I got swept by the Kimono Girls so I have to train my guys up to level 38... with only level 20s to train against... it's not fun, which is why I haven't gone back to it in a while. Platinum's an absolute blast so far, really glad I've done that. And now I've got a Shiny in it, too, which is my first Shiny in any gen 4 game, including the one I've had for almost 10 years!

Just don't use this as an advertising forum. As long as you are talking and posting, it's fine if you occasionally rep your newest video or channel. Nothing blatant please.
Awesome, thanks. So if I were to add a link to the playlist here, like so:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-QQrFUJSbVkG3aaQy5R2wU-u75mtnZ4W

And mention that I upload every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, would that be okay?

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
The main problem with Lance is his Aerodactyl, since its base speed is 130. As a result, Aerodactyl can really cause problems for your team, even if your Pokemon has the attacks to take it down. If you're lucky enough to acquire a Scizor with Bullet Punch, however, then Aerodactyl can be taken down more easily, assuming that Scizor has the Technician ability of course.

The other option is level grinding your Pokemon to a high enough level, and even then, it would have to be a fast Pokemon.
I don't remember the specifics of how the end of my nuzlocke went but I entered the Elite Four with a Typhlosion, Gyarados, Lapras, Umbreon, Ampharos and Crobat and I don't recall having too much trouble from the Aerodactyl. I do recall only entering the Lance battle with 5 Pokemon and I wanna say Crobat was the one that fell before that fight but I could be wrong. Looking at my team, I had 2 water types and an electric type plus Umbreon is rather bulky so I can see why I wouldn't have had trouble with Aerodactyl in particular.

Regardless of my particular team, my problem with Lance in regards to nuzlockes is how reliant you can end up being on a water or ice type since 2/3 of his team are weak to ice. Iirc, you can farm for Ice Beam TMs in Goldenrod by constantly playing the replacement of the slots but that's slow, tedious and reliant on having a water or ice type (for the most part) with a respectable special attack stat. Gyarados with Ice Beam is far less threatening than say a Lapras or a Vaporeon with the same move.

in my main HG file, I just used DDance + Ice Fang Gyarados and swept through Lance cleanly. Took me like half a year to beat Whitney though, that was annoying. In my nuzlocke file, I got swept by the Kimono Girls so I have to train my guys up to level 38... with only level 20s to train against... it's not fun, which is why I haven't gone back to it in a while. Platinum's an absolute blast so far, really glad I've done that. And now I've got a Shiny in it, too, which is my first Shiny in any gen 4 game, including the one I've had for almost 10 years!

Awesome, thanks. So if I were to add a link to the playlist here, like so:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-QQrFUJSbVkG3aaQy5R2wU-u75mtnZ4W

And mention that I upload every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, would that be okay?
I remember 1 particular run I had, I lost a few members of my main team to Jasmine then lost the remaining members to Pryce and I was stuck with a bunch of level 20s and under. I said screw it, took a break for a few months then went back and started over. HG was not exactly fun to nuzlocke. Firered was plenty of fun and Black 2 has been fun although the beginning is a drag since you can only have at most 5 Pokemon before the first gym and none of them are rock or steel type. Riolu is the only fighting type you can get without grinding a Tepig and Riolu has a very low chance of appearing.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't remember the specifics of how the end of my nuzlocke went but I entered the Elite Four with a Typhlosion, Gyarados, Lapras, Umbreon, Ampharos and Crobat and I don't recall having too much trouble from the Aerodactyl. I do recall only entering the Lance battle with 5 Pokemon and I wanna say Crobat was the one that fell before that fight but I could be wrong. Looking at my team, I had 2 water types and an electric type plus Umbreon is rather bulky so I can see why I wouldn't have had trouble with Aerodactyl in particular.

Regardless of my particular team, my problem with Lance in regards to nuzlockes is how reliant you can end up being on a water or ice type since 2/3 of his team are weak to ice. Iirc, you can farm for Ice Beam TMs in Goldenrod by constantly playing the replacement of the slots but that's slow, tedious and reliant on having a water or ice type (for the most part) with a respectable special attack stat. Gyarados with Ice Beam is far less threatening than say a Lapras or a Vaporeon with the same move.
Gyarados can always resort to using Ice Fang instead. Ice Fang is less powerful than Ice Beam, but since it's a physical attack, Gyarados can pretty much deliver more damage with Ice Fang than with Ice Beam. The only problem that Ice Fang has, however, is that it as a 5% chance of missing.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Gyarados can always resort to using Ice Fang instead. Ice Fang is less powerful than Ice Beam, but since it's a physical attack, Gyarados can pretty much deliver more damage with Ice Fang than with Ice Beam. The only problem that Ice Fang has, however, is that it as a 5% chance of missing.
Yeah, I don't have access to my nuzlocke file anymore but I can imagine my Gyarados had Ice Fang. Looking at it's gen IV moveset, I probably also gave it Waterfall or Aqua Tail and Earthquake. Last move could've been anything. Guessing it was either Dragon Dance, Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Strength or Return.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I definitely have interest in playing it, once I get a better job that gives me more economic stability so I can afford to pay the monthly fees.
Let me know when you're ready. I'll give you a friend recruitment code that gets us both goodies, and I'll show ya the ropes.

Top Bottom