• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

Mewtwo's worst matchups are Fox, Falcon, Meta Knight, Marth, Villager, and on occasion Rosalina. Sometimes heavies can be troublesome, but they often end up as combo bait. He also goes even with a HUGE majority of the cast. That's why I originally picked him up, with the theory that Mewtwo's matchups were almost entirely even.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Had a long FG session today, got called a "TIER_WH0RE" at least 2 times by two different people after using :4mewtwo:.
And there's already people here talking about how they wouldn't mind Mewtwo receiving a speed nerf.
Times sure change.
Oh boy, I hope that happens to me soon so I can swap to my possibly even more competent Charizard and crush them.

I never get any good chances to embarrass salty people on For Glory.

ZephyrZ ZephyrZ Do it. I've been labbing Charizard lately, and he's grossly underrated. I play him like a grappler and take stocks unbelievably quickly.

Also, what's up with everyone saying that :4cloud: is the best character in the game? Uh, have you SEEN those nerfs? Ok sure, he's well-rounded, and his forward smash is still busted, but any of the other top tier contenders can eat him up with some decent matchup knowledge.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Mewtwo's worst matchups are Fox, Falcon, Meta Knight, Marth, Villager, and on occasion Rosalina. Sometimes heavies can be troublesome, but they often end up as combo bait. He also goes even with a HUGE majority of the cast. That's why I originally picked him up, with the theory that Mewtwo's matchups were almost entirely even.
...Marth?
Your reason...?
To me Marth is one of Mewtwo's easier matchups, honestly.
And, to be honest, I can't put my finger on it for what makes it easy, but something about it makes it feel more comfortable for Mewtwo.
Maybe it's that you don't have much to fear?
Outside of dying to a tipper forward smash at 40%, but it's not so likely that's going to happen.

Last edited:
All of Marth's attacks outrange Mewtwo's. It's a tough match with someone who knows what they're doing.
I'm working on a regional tier list and it's REALLY weird. (bringing this up because of my past comment about Cloud)

The #1 most successful character in my region is... ROB. There are two or three very dominant ROB players. Most popular character, on the other hand, is probably :4shulk:. Everyone and their mother has a pocket Shulk, even I pull him out as a joke sometimes. Most popular counterpick is a tie between :4lucina: and :4falcon:.
And here I am, the only :4greninja: player in my area. For a while, I was the only :4mewtwo: but then... well, if you were here a month earlier you know the story.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Are people actually saying that Mewtwo is top tier after he won one major? ;-;

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Ha! The Robin talk is my bad since I brought up 2 of my 3 mains being recognized as competent and asking when the third would get such a thing.

Also amusing as hell to see Mewtwo go from 'bad and too light' to 'oh he's fast now? Like, MK fast? still light, still bad' to 'he's faster than MK and a single unit lighter than G&W now? Where's his results showing he's good?' And then Abadango wins Pound and NOW people start talking about how 'op' he is and how he 'needs nerfs'.

I can admit that the last patch of buffs could be considered unneeded. Sure, the nair buff was in there (unless I'm mistaken) but that's probably the most Mewtwo would miss. Ike got a ridiculous amount of buffs too although none of them were to his mobility.

Best comparison I can think of is :4mewtwo:=:jigglypuffmelee:. Not 100% the same obviously but they're both light, slippery and incredibly powerful. Big difference being that :jigglypuffmelee: can't be patched while :4mewtwo: can.

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
Ha! The Robin talk is my bad since I brought up 2 of my 3 mains being recognized as competent and asking when the third would get such a thing.

Also amusing as hell to see Mewtwo go from 'bad and too light' to 'oh he's fast now? Like, MK fast? still light, still bad' to 'he's faster than MK and a single unit lighter than G&W now? Where's his results showing he's good?' And then Abadango wins Pound and NOW people start talking about how 'op' he is and how he 'needs nerfs'.

I can admit that the last patch of buffs could be considered unneeded. Sure, the nair buff was in there (unless I'm mistaken) but that's probably the most Mewtwo would miss. Ike got a ridiculous amount of buffs too although none of them were to his mobility.

Best comparison I can think of is :4mewtwo:=:jigglypuffmelee:. Not 100% the same obviously but they're both light, slippery and incredibly powerful. Big difference being that :jigglypuffmelee: can't be patched while :4mewtwo: can.
Wait are talking melee jiggs or smash 4 jiggs

7NATOR

Smash Master
Anything happen in this thread?

also I think my Mewtwo's better, I've been getting Spikes more often

7NATOR

Smash Master
ummmm, alright

(Mewtwo is top tier in Pokken.)

ummm, so this magic, does it have to do with Abadango?

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746

Yeah its disgusting really. People are so predictible that it actually hurts. Like, how are you gonna call a character trash, said character wins ONE major, and now hes broken.

Shut the **** up and go sit in a corner. :glare:

Anyway, I think I'm dropping Mewtwo. I keep getting so frustrated lately. At my opponents for catching up with me so quickly and at myself for not improving at all despite playing the game 6 out of 7 days of the week for hours!

I've been wracking my brain to try and figure out why and I think I've realized it. Mewtwo simply doesn't fit my playstyle. I've hit a wall in my progress as a player because I'm using tools that aren't meant for me.

I'll probably still come in here alot (I like it here ;-; ).

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
dang, a lot has happened in the community

1. Mewtwo wins a major
2. Bayonetta is banned in Spain
3. Sandbag confirmed for SSF2

Anyway, I think I'm dropping Mewtwo. I keep getting so frustrated lately. At my opponents for catching up with me so quickly and at myself for not improving at all despite playing the game 6 out of 7 days of the week for hours!
I've been wracking my brain to try and figure out why and I think I've realized it. Mewtwo simply doesn't fit my playstyle. I've hit a wall in my progress as a player because I'm using tools that aren't meant for me.
Join the club... What's your new playstyle then?

On a side note, apparently Japan wants to ban her as well, at least until her insta-KO is fixed. I'm telling you, Bayonetta needs but a single nerf to patch everything out. Reduce vertical range on Witch Twist. Check and mate.

Last edited:

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
Let us not dwell on the ramblings of those suffering the wrath of our fair lady.

Enjoy true power while we can.

FlameEmperor

Smash Cadet
NNID
FlameEmperor
dang, a lot has happened in the community

1. Mewtwo wins a major
2. Bayonetta is banned in Spain
3. Sandbag confirmed for SSF2
What a world...

If I was a bayonetta main I would applaud this move. You're so dominant and you strike so much fear into a scene that they just ban you out right? Amazing. The day I hear talk about nerfing Mewtwo or banning the character after people picking him up and tearing a path through majors and locals, I will rest easy knowing our work is done.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Latest ORAS chapter just came out. Unlike last month this was thankfully a full chapter instead of being divided up into parts.

Ruby/Norman purify the Jade Orb using the remains of the Johto research lab, but are caught off guard when meteorites start crashing nearby, which coincidentally has also caught the eye of a hungry Rayquaza. After a light snack, Rayquaza recognizes the two from the RS chapter and is rightfully angry, grabbing Ruby in it's claws.

Back in Hoenn, Emerald & Hoopa are searching for missing Sapphire, discovering the Hoenn Frontier Brains have defeated the new Aqua/Magma admins and that Sapphire was rescued by Aarune (the Secret Base guy) & Wally near Route 120.

The reunion is cut short, however, as the Primals have finished relearning their signature moves catching the eye of Rayquaza (the portal to Johto was left open). Rayquaza, now more furious than ever fires a Hyper Beam at them and tries to enter the portal to battle the two. A scared ****less Hoopa, realizing a battle would be bad, moves the Sapphire portal in front of the Johto portal causing Rayquaza to double warp to Route 120 instead.

It releases the captive Ruby who is saved by Wally. Wally uses his Pokemon to get Rayquaza's attention, while Ruby presents it with the Jade Orb finally befriending it. At that moment though, Sapphire appears (without any scars, kind of a cop-out), furious at Ruby for lying/abandoning her throughout the entire story thus far.[/spoilers]

Good stuff, there's even some more DP cameos and mentions of the Johto Battle Frontier.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Join the club... What's your new playstyle then?

On a side note, apparently Japan wants to ban her as well, at least until her insta-KO is fixed. I'm telling you, Bayonetta needs but a single nerf to patch everything out. Reduce vertical range on Witch Twist. Check and mate.
Very, very aggressive. I'm playing alot of Shiek lately. What about you?

Mewtwo was too fast, that's all. Even Greninja was barely handleable. I've developed a neutral-centric style, centered around keeping the opponent in neutral or at a slight disadvantage. It really benefits :4corrin:'s range and forces me not to autopilot.

While I'm at it, I'll make my predictions for the next patch.
:4bayonetta: Nerfed. Vertical range on Witch Twist reduced to about 7/10 of its current height. Hitbox size reduced. Down air ground hit knockback reduced. No other changes needed.
:rosalina: Nerfed. Up air and down air "halos" have decreased KBG and Luma's smash attacks also have decreased KBG.
:4mario: Slightly nerfed. Up air has a similar nerf to Meta Knight, now it does not connect and chain as well. Up tilt base knockback slightly increased, hitstun multiplied. Now it's designed to combo into other moves, not itself.
:4cloud: Nerfed. Up air BKB increased, its KBG decreased. All smash attacks KBG reduced.
:4mewtwo: Slightly nerfed. Ground speed isn't over the top anymore, being about even to Little Mac's.

:4bowserjr: Fix. Hitboxes finally get a full fix.
:4palutena: Buffed. Counter finally receives the fix it deserves. A whole lot of moves have less endlag.
:4falco: Buffed. The speed buff he has needed the whole time.
:4robinm: We already talked about this.
:4jigglypuff: Buffed. A bunch of attacks deal more damage, to make up for her low defense, speed, and range.
:4charizard: Buffed. Horizontal air speed gets a big improvement. Enough to make returning to neutral easy.
:4roy: Buffed. Vertical range on Blazer increased, its knockback growth as well.

It would be really close to balanced.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I don't even know what playstyle interests me most @.@ I've always liked Mario in every game although I just got into him in this game. Always liked Ganon, miss Wolf so much and I like M2 in Melee, P:M and this game and then you have the newcomers Robin and Cloud. With Mario, Ganon and Cloud and my disliking of Peach, Ryu and Bayo, I can say I like characters that are easy to pick up and play but then there's Mewtwo and Robin. Wolf wasn't hard to learn by any means but I never did get the timing for Wolf Flash shortening down.

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
I don't even know what playstyle interests me most @.@ I've always liked Mario in every game although I just got into him in this game. Always liked Ganon, miss Wolf so much and I like M2 in Melee, P:M and this game and then you have the newcomers Robin and Cloud. With Mario, Ganon and Cloud and my disliking of Peach, Ryu and Bayo, I can say I like characters that are easy to pick up and play but then there's Mewtwo and Robin. Wolf wasn't hard to learn by any means but I never did get the timing for Wolf Flash shortening down.
If you want someone simple you should pick up pit as he's a all rounder

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
Yeah its disgusting really. People are so predictible that it actually hurts. Like, how are you gonna call a character trash, said character wins ONE major, and now hes broken.

Shut the **** up and go sit in a corner. :glare:

Sounds like you may have forced yourself too hard to learn him and burned out. IMO it's better to pick up new characters by playing around with them sporadically as opposed to hours at a time, day after day. Some characters take time to grow on you.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Yeah, that's how I got into characters in this game. Immediately tried :4mario:and:4ganondorf: since I liked them in previous games and they felt eh at release. Liked the concept of :4lucina: but didn't realize how much :4marth: had changed in Sm4sh. Enjoyed :4dedede::4kirby::4ludwig: for a short time then focused on customs :4marth:for a short time and eventually focused on :4metaknight:for months until I realized how much of his game focused around a low percent to death combo. From there I was just constantly waiting for Wolf to come back and when he didn't, I tried a number of characters and finally settled on about 5. :4cloud::4mewtwo::4robinf: competitively and :4ganondorf::4rob: for fun. Just recently picked up :4mario: again for fun and thanks to my constant messing around, I've got a basic understanding of most characters.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Mewtwo was too fast, that's all. Even Greninja was barely handleable. I've developed a neutral-centric style, centered around keeping the opponent in neutral or at a slight disadvantage. It really benefits :4corrin:'s range and forces me not to autopilot.

:4bayonetta: Nerfed. Vertical range on Witch Twist reduced to about 7/10 of its current height. Hitbox size reduced. Down air ground hit knockback reduced. No other changes needed.
:rosalina: Nerfed. Up air and down air "halos" have decreased KBG and Luma's smash attacks also have decreased KBG.
:4mario: Slightly nerfed. Up air has a similar nerf to Meta Knight, now it does not connect and chain as well. Up tilt base knockback slightly increased, hitstun multiplied. Now it's designed to combo into other moves, not itself.
:4cloud: Nerfed. Up air BKB increased, its KBG decreased. All smash attacks KBG reduced.
:4mewtwo: Slightly nerfed. Ground speed isn't over the top anymore, being about even to Little Mac's.

:4palutena: Buffed. Counter finally receives the fix it deserves. A whole lot of moves have less endlag.
:4jigglypuff: Buffed. A bunch of attacks deal more damage, to make up for her low defense, speed, and range.
:4charizard: Buffed. Horizontal air speed gets a big improvement. Enough to make returning to neutral easy.
:4roy: Buffed. Vertical range on Blazer increased, its knockback growth as well.

I heavily disagree on Mewtwo's ground speed being "over the top". His high ground speed is perfect because it compensates for the fact that he has a big hurtbox and is the second lightest character in the game. Mewtwo is designed to be a glass cannon and his speed reflects that. I honestly believe that Mewtwo is perfectly balanced the way he is now, there is no more need to give him buffs or nerfs.

If Mewtwo is as "op" as some think he is, future tournaments will reflect that. For now, Mewtwo is completely fine as is, imo.

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I say make Mewtwo faster and fix his hitboxes. Also, make him heavier than Rosalina and Luma.

C3CC

Smash Lord

Hey, don't mess with Rosalina! She's perfect as she is right now. If you nerf her Down Air you will ruin her already pathetic meteor smash. Her Up Air could use a small nerf though, I'll give you that. Sometimes it's ridiculous how early she kills with it.

Leave Mewtwo alone as well. I don't see the point of increasing his speed only to have it decreased right in the next patch. His speed is perfect as is.

I wholeheartedly agree with Palutena's buffs. Her Counter is useless, it sucks so much it's not even funny. It's not even worth to try using it. Her smash attacks could do with some ending lag reduced, too.

And I'd love Charizard's air speed to get an improvement. While you're at it, why not increase his ground speed a tad bit as well? A little bit slower than Mewtwo, maybe? Sometimes I feel he's kind of slow... Or is it just me?

Now on the nerfs:

I agree with Bayonetta's. I'd also find a way to prevent her from getting zero-to-deaths so ridiculously easy. I also agree with Mario's, but I'd also nerf his Dash Attack, because it lasts too damn long. I'd also decrease the frames in which his Forward Smash can meteor smash. It's so stupidly easy to land it it's not even fair.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Hey, don't mess with Rosalina! She's perfect as she is right now. If you nerf her Down Air you will ruin her already pathetic meteor smash. Her Up Air could use a small nerf though, I'll give you that. Sometimes it's ridiculous how early she kills with it.

Leave Mewtwo alone as well. I don't see the point of increasing his speed only to have it decreased right in the next patch. His speed is perfect as is.

I wholeheartedly agree with Palutena's buffs. Her Counter is useless, it sucks so much it's not even funny. It's not even worth to try using it. Her smash attacks could do with some ending lag reduced, too.

And I'd love Charizard's air speed to get an improvement. While you're at it, why not increase his ground speed a tad bit as well? A little bit slower than Mewtwo, maybe? Sometimes I feel he's kind of slow... Or is it just me?

Now on the nerfs:

I agree with Bayonetta's. I'd also find a way to prevent her from getting zero-to-deaths so ridiculously easy. I also agree with Mario's, but I'd also nerf his Dash Attack, because it lasts too damn long. I'd also decrease the frames in which his Forward Smash can meteor smash. It's so stupidly easy to land it it's not even fair.
Agreed on Charizard! He's a flying type for god's sake. He's pretty fast in his own games too... increase his air and ground speed pls

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Mewtwo is now considered a bandwagon character...

We made it, boys and girls.

Last edited:
Top Bottom