• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I still kind of wonder what Mewtwo would've been like if its Final Smash changed it into Mega Mewtwo X. Its moveset would have to be modified a bit to take advantage of its physical build.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
I think Sakurai wanted to just focus fully on Mewtwo using Psystrike. And who's more known for that than Mewtwo Y? Nobody.

I think it's less about the form change and more about the attack itself. Sakurai just wanted to make it more powerful looking coming from a Mega. (Funnily enough, Mewtwo X and regular Mewtwo have the exact same special attack and speed, making the literal stat change between the two with special attacks no different aside from STAB).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think Sakurai wanted to just focus fully on Mewtwo using Psystrike. And who's more known for that than Mewtwo Y? Nobody.

I think it's less about the form change and more about the attack itself. Sakurai just wanted to make it more powerful looking coming from a Mega. (Funnily enough, Mewtwo X and regular Mewtwo have the exact same special attack and speed, making the literal stat change between the two with special attacks no different aside from STAB).
The only difference, however, is that Mega Mewtwo X does not get the Life Orb treatment that normal Mewtwo has, and even today, it still can't learn Superpower or Close Combat.

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
The only difference, however, is that Mega Mewtwo X does not get the Life Orb treatment that normal Mewtwo has, and even today, it still can't learn Superpower or Close Combat.
Well there's not much they can do about the Life Orb thing (that would honestly be stupid, like Mega Rayquaza), but it does bother me that he doesn't get better STAB than Brick Break and Drain Punch. He should at least get HJK like Lopunny did. They could also give him a great physical STAB psychic move as well. Zen Headbutt isn't very strong.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Well there's not much they can do about the Life Orb thing, but it does bother me that he doesn't get better STAB than Brick Break and Drain Punch. He should at least get HJK like Lopunny did.
High Jump Kick may be stronger than Close Combat, but since it does have the risk of missing, that crash damage penalty could prove to be very painful. I know that Gyarados was fortunate to get Crunch in OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire, but it's hard to say if Mewtwo will ever get Close Combat if Pokemon Z is ever made; it would have to be if Zygarde's forms are ever going to be usable.

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
High Jump Kick may be stronger than Close Combat, but since it does have the risk of missing, that crash damage penalty could prove to be very painful. I know that Gyarados was fortunate to get Crunch in OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire, but it's hard to say if Mewtwo will ever get Close Combat if Pokemon Z is ever made; it would have to be if Zygarde's forms are ever going to be usable.
I think HJK is more thematic for Mewtwo X even if CC is better overall, but he could get either and still be way better off. Even Superpower would be a great improvement and not a huge detriment because he also has a great Special Attack to work off of when his attack lowers.

Last edited:

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
Mewtwo X itself was a pretty different take on Mewtwo in the first place. He was never truly about physically hitting opponents (although he was capable of it), but Game Freak decided to take his separate Mega Evolution in this direction. Mewtwo Y has the same direction as regular Mewtwo (despite also having a very ignored base 150 attack on par with non mega evolved Rayquaza) where he's a quick and all powerful special cannon.

Charizard is in a similar boat. Y is the true Mega since it follows Charizard's design philosophy more, and X is the "different take" mega where he's made more physical (but again, also very capable of special attacking), and has a very different design. Sakurai likely used X because it was more popular and notable.
It always bothered me that Charizard uses Flare Blitz in Sm4sh, but Mega X freaking doesn't, depiste Flare Blitz really being pretty much X's signature move, but not Charizard's....
I mean, I love that Charizard has it, but it bothers me that X doesn't. What exactly is his A move btw? I always wondered that....

Last edited:

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
It always bothered me that Charizard uses Flare Blitz in Sm4sh, but Mega X freaking doesn't, depiste Flare Blitz really being pretty much X's signature move, but not Charizard's....
I mean, I love that Charizard has it, but it bothers me that X doesn't. What exactly is his A move btw? I always wondered that....
I believe it's Dragon Rush. It makes sense thematically and it makes the same sound and animation as his custom move.

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
I'm interested in what he was planning do with Psystrike, though. I think the animation is already cool as is, I wonder what he was planning that could've pushed the rating? Something Giygas-like?
Blood bursting out of the head when it pops. Like, there's not much more you can do with a head explosion without bumping it up to an M rating.

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
Gyarados may or may not be my favorite non-Legendary Pokemon. Glad to see it FINALLY got Crunch. I've used a Gyarados in every Pokemon game I played, when I was into it. The only exceptions were Colosseum and Gale of Darkness for obvious reasons. Was a fan of the old Gen 4-5 set using Dragon Dance, Earthquake, Ice Fang and Waterfall. Had some really spectacular times with Gyarados. Would definitely be the Pokemon I'd pick if I could only have one.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
If pokemon were real and I could only have one I'd probably go with eevee. Eventually I'd evolve it but I'm not sure which evolution. Perhaps Leafeon. I like Leafeon.

Competitive wise it isn't great ( or even close ;-; ), but in a nuzlocke or something I adore it.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Just did a quick glance on that interview. I can sorta see where he's coming from with X vs. Y. All of Mewtwo's specials along with his movement and holding items animations, it's clear that Smash Mewtwo heavily relies on its mind. It also has the 'glass cannon' characteristics which X doesn't show quite as much. If we got X, it'd probably be similar to Mega Lucario.

Gyarados is a truly amazing Pokemon. It's in almost every game, it's easy to get thanks to the abundance of Magikarp and it's a reliable Pokemon especially from gen IV onwards. Only has 2 weaknesses and it's STAB beats one of those types. Plus an immunity to ground and it just looks cool. Then again, I'm bias since I started with Yellow and could be classified as a 'gen one-er'.

If I could only have 1 Pokemon in the games, it'd definitely be Gyarados. In real life, it'd either be Eevee or Vulpix. Those 2 are too cute <3

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
If I could have a Pokemon in real life, it would be Pichu as he was one of my mains in Melee.

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
One?! I'd rigorously raise several very good Poke'mon. I need the best I can so I can camp at the end of the unknown dungeon to worship our fair lady and drive off all who would intrude upon her sanctuary.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Having one hard counter does not a non-broken character make. If anything it makes the metagame even more stagnant. Imagine if Pikachu was a hard counter to Brawl Meta Knight. Still doesn't change that he solidly beats anyone else, so people learn Pikachu not because they want to but HAVE to. Then the Meta Knight players pick up another character to deal with Pikachu, and then the metagame degenerates into guessing counterpicks.

Is a metagame where everyone feels obligated to run Porygon2 just to deal with Protean Greninja pleasant?
People who adore Porygon2 like me think it would be pretty OK, actually. I already use one on nearly every team I use.

Look, I get it, you guys value diversity. But think back a moment to 3rd gen... Some (like me) see it as the best competitive metagame (not nearly the best in-game experience, though). And what do we see at top level play? Nearly every team runs Blissey and Skarmory, almost without exception. And it's a lot of fun!

Porygon2 might be the best Greninja counter, but it's not the only thing that stops it! Anything with priority or speed can destroy it after a Baton Pass or U-turn. So, no, you're not forced to carry Porygon2, just like you're not forced to use Greninja. They would be common but not ubiquitous. I like both Pokemon though so it wouldn't bother me.

By contrast, those gen 5 genies are so ugly, lazily designed, and overpowered that I just can't stand seeing them all the time. Some people love those things! Some people would be genuinely upset if they all were banished, but I'd be elated to never have to see their ugly mugs again.

See, for me, Pokemon is about fun. I like trying out new ideas, new rule sets, etc., but I want the Pokemon I use to at least look cool. I don't care if I see a lot of the same thing so long as I like what I'm seeing.

In the end, I do feel that giving Greninja Gunk Shot was a pretty dumb move, and if people want to ban it? Whatever.

In the end, the answer for me will always be to play 3vs3 or doubles. In those games, next to nothing but box legendaries are broken. You can use whatever you want and still have an awesome time. For that reason alone, I will always scoff at these goofy ban decisions the 6vs6 people put up with. I get it, people like playing that way, but Game Freak has made it an impossible meta to balance without copious bans. It's been literally abandoned as an official meta, and I don't blame them for that much at least, even if they're to blame for the imbalance.

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
One?! I'd rigorously raise several very good Poke'mon. I need the best I can so I can camp at the end of the unknown dungeon to worship our fair lady and drive off all who would intrude upon her sanctuary.
But who's your favorite? That's what we mean when we say we can only pick one lol

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Gyarados may or may not be my favorite non-Legendary Pokemon. Glad to see it FINALLY got Crunch. I've used a Gyarados in every Pokemon game I played, when I was into it. The only exceptions were Colosseum and Gale of Darkness for obvious reasons. Was a fan of the old Gen 4-5 set using Dragon Dance, Earthquake, Ice Fang and Waterfall. Had some really spectacular times with Gyarados. Would definitely be the Pokemon I'd pick if I could only have one.
Crunch does make Mega Gyarados more usable, but it still struggles to compete with normal Gyarados when you consider the number of weaknesses that Mega Gyarados has to deal with. All that Gyarados has to worry about are Electric and Rock-type attacks, but Mega Gyarados has to deal with Electric, Grass, Fighting, Bug, and Fairy-type attacks.

And speaking of usable Pokemon, Aerodactyl has yet to get Brave Bird and Head Smash, which would make its Rock Head ability feel much more usable. Mega Aerodactyl could also benefit from those two moves, but since its ability is Tough Claws, the power boost may seem nice, but you do have to watch out for the recoil damage penalties as well.

And then we have Alakazam, where it's practically better than Mega Alakazam at everything except speed. Magic Guard and Life Orb are a great combination, as the Life Orb's damage penalty is negated. Mega Alakazam would have to trace Sheer Force if it ever wants to give Psychic, Shadow Ball, and Energy Ball more power, but it won't do anything for Dazzling Gleam.

And to finish up, Feraligatr now feels more usable with the Sheer Force ability now being legal on it. Waterfall, Ice Punch, and Crunch, combined with the Life Orb, Dragon Dance, and Sheer Force, can make it hit like a tank. And Sheer Force negates Life Orb's damage penalty, since all three of Feraligatr's attacks have a secondary effect.

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
Crunch does make Mega Gyarados more usable, but it still struggles to compete with normal Gyarados when you consider the number of weaknesses that Mega Gyarados has to deal with. All that Gyarados has to worry about are Electric and Rock-type attacks, but Mega Gyarados has to deal with Electric, Grass, Fighting, Bug, and Fairy-type attacks.
I was hyped at first for Mega Gyarados because I thought it would be Water/Dragon, but when I saw its typing I immediately thought it shouldn't have been my team's Mega for the reasons you pointed out. (No, I hadn't played the Gen 6 games but I played Showdown with Megas) Ultimately I think regular Gyarados is more viable overall. Not that I mind - good Mega or not, Gyarados is still my favorite and I will continue to use it, if I get back into Pokemon. :)

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
Mega Gyarados' main problem is that Dark doesn't benefit it at all
Agreed. It would benefit much more from Dragon-typing. It would shift its weaknesses, making a Mega Evolution a precise, strategic choice and possibly forcing the opponent to switch.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Mega Gyarados' main problem is that Dark doesn't benefit it at all
Or at least it originally didn't benefit it until Gyarados could learn Crunch. Even then, you're kind of better off using a Sharpedo for your Water/Dark-type Pokemon, as it has more speed, and the combination of Speed Boost on turn 1, followed by the mega evolution on turn 2, can be quite a lethal combination. Mega Sharpedo's Strong Jaw ability powers up Ice Fang and Crunch, and the speed increase that it gets as a normal Sharpedo makes it even more dangerous, as not even Speed Forme Deoxys can outrun a Jolly Mega Sharpedo with +1 speed.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Agreed. It would benefit much more from Dragon-typing. It would shift its weaknesses, making a Mega Evolution a precise, strategic choice and possibly forcing the opponent to switch.
M-Gyarados doesn't even become that. It's a shame, as other megas exist that are mere sidegrades, but are still better than that thing. Only megas worse are Banette, Audino and in terms of viability, Lati duo because Soul Dew is beter iirc

FlameEmperor

Smash Cadet
NNID
FlameEmperor
Pokemon Direct on Friday?!?!

OMG I'm shaking, the time has finally arrived. I've heard it's only 5 minutes so I'm predicting the announcement of not 1 but 2 main series games and that's it. Perhaps still in Kalos who knows..I'm just hyped for the 26th.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
M-Gyarados doesn't even become that. It's a shame, as other megas exist that are mere sidegrades, but are still better than that thing. Only megas worse are Banette, Audino and in terms of viability, Lati duo because Soul Dew is beter iirc
And the only thing that saves Mega Heracross from being useless is its Skill Link ability enabling Pin Missile, Bullet Seed, and Rock Blast to always hit 5 times. Sadly, Arm Thrust is just too weak to be using over Close Combat, but at least Pin Missile can actually hit harder than Megahorn when it delivers 5 hits.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
And the only thing that saves Mega Heracross from being useless is its Skill Link ability enabling Pin Missile, Bullet Seed, and Rock Blast to always hit 5 times. Sadly, Arm Thrust is just too weak to be using over Close Combat, but at least Pin Missile can actually hit harder than Megahorn when it delivers 5 hits.
I thought Arm Thrust did as much as CC. Not to mention M-Hera at the very least has more than a monstrous attack unlike Banette

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
I know. It's such a weird decision, too. People always joke about Lance using Gyarados when it isn't a Dragon - M-Gyarados would have been a perfect time to make it Water/Dragon. If it could learn Outrage (don't think Gyarados can as it is now), then it would wind up being even more devastating. Might possibly wound up as Übers. But I wouldn't know for sure, it's all speculation at that end.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The funny thing is, whenever Breloom uses Bullet Seed, with the Technician ability, 2 Bullet Seed hits would deal just about the same amount of damage as a single Giga Drain, while 4 Bullet Seed hits would deal just about the same amount of damage as a single Frenzy Plant.

Last edited:

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
I have nothing good to do, so will just post me messing around with my Pokémon in for Glory here....

Oh, and about Mega Charizard X's A, Dragon Rush was what I had in mind.... what probably everybody has in mind, but I wanted to know if that's confirmed somewhere in the game like a tip or something.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I have nothing good to do, so will just post me messing around with my Pokémon in for Glory here....

Oh, and about Mega Charizard X's A, Dragon Rush was what I had in mind.... what probably everybody has in mind, but I wanted to know if that's confirmed somewhere in the game like a tip or something.
If the wiki confirms it, it's good enough. http://www.ssbwiki.com/Mega_Charizard_X

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
That feel when the Pichu Mains subreddit has more followers than Mewtwo Mains...I don't know how to feel.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Regular Mewtwo gameplay in Pokken. He looks way cooler (imo) than Shadow Mewtwo and has a more fitting voice.

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
Hopped on to check my alerts. 12! 12 alerts. I was shocked - what did I say that could cause such a stir?

Nah, it was @U-Throw liking all of our posts lmao

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Regular Mewtwo gameplay in Pokken. He looks way cooler (imo) than Shadow Mewtwo and has a more fitting voice.

Regular Mewtwo looks so awesome! I just preordered Pokken yesterday so I should have the Shadow Mewtwo Amiibo card but regular 'Two just looks so much better.

EDIT: one thing about the video that did irritate me was that the guy who played Mewtwo would always spam that long range beam attack. I know the game is new but it's got tutorials built in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom