• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Alright, join my room.
Good games man, you've got a really good Mewtwo. I'll be honest, even though I use Mewtwo all the time, I'm definitely not used to fighting him haha. That forward air is ridiculous coming from the other side.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Good games man, you've got a really good Mewtwo. I'll be honest, even though I use Mewtwo all the time, I'm definitely not used to fighting him haha. That forward air is ridiculous coming from the other side.
Haha, thanks. I'm pretty young (13) so I guess I'm okay.

I still have some rust to get off because a while ago my R button broke. Now I have to use L to shield and Y to grab which I'm not comfortable with, but hey, at least I tried.

I don't have much MU experience with other Mewtwo's either. I fought meleebrawler a while back, so yeah.

I need to get better with phasing, seems like a really good thing to use for the neutral.

Oh, don't even speak of forward air. That move is just GODLIKE, y'know? Frame 6, 13%, combos into a ton of stuff, can kill, safe on shield, landing tool...? What the hell? Undoubtedly one of the best forward airs in the game.

Last edited:

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
Mega Aggron is the best thing in taking physical attacks in the ****ing game. 70 HP, highest defence in the game, 80(?)SPDefence and filter. Combine that with a monstrous attack stat and great movepull, you're already dead
But Mega Aggron can't KO Hydreigon in one hit, no matter what the EV spread is. Even with Filter, a Focus Blast from a Hydreigon (with or without Life Orb) still brings Mega Aggron to below 50% and since Hydreigon is faster then Mega Aggron, he can move again and take him out with any hit that isn't resisted.
Here are some calculations so you know I'm not whistlin' dixie.

Note: These were calculated with a Mega Aggron with max EVs in Attack with Adamant nature
252+ Atk Mega Aggron Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Hydreigon: 206-244 (63.3 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Aggron Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Hydreigon: 165-195 (50.7 - 60%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Aggron Heavy Slam (60 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Hydreigon: 124-147 (38.1 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Note: Hydreigon has Modest nature with 252 EVs into Sp. Attack and Mega Aggron has Impish nature with 252 EVs in both Sp. Defense and HP.
252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Filter Mega Aggron: 250-294 (72.6 - 85.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Hydreigon Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Filter Mega Aggron: 192-226 (55.8 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Assuming Hydreigon without his Life Orb got the maximum damage roll possible (65.6%), all Hydreigon would have to do is to go for a Dark Pulse which, even with a minimum roll, can still finish off Aggron. (Dark Pulse's damage % is 36.9 - 43.8%, the HP % that Mega Aggron has is 34%)

Now, assuming Hydreigon, still without his Life Orb, got the minimum damage roll (55.8%), Hydreigon would HAVE to go for another Focus Blast as the damage roll of Dark Pulse leaves Mega Aggron at about 12% health.

In conclusion, Hydreigon has a much easier time vs Mega Aggron. In the end, unless Mega Aggron goes for Thunder Wave and Hydreigon is paralyzed the next turn, Hydreigon will win the match.
But who's to say Hydreigon isn't holding a Lum Berry? ;)

Anywho, sorry if I seem like I'm taking this too seriously, as I mean this all in good fun! :laugh:
Leave some rebuttals if you ever so please.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
But Mega Aggron can't KO Hydreigon in one hit, no matter what the EV spread is. Even with Filter, a Focus Blast from a Hydreigon (with or without Life Orb) still brings Mega Aggron to below 50% and since Hydreigon is faster then Mega Aggron, he can move again and take him out with any hit that isn't resisted.

Note: These were calculated with a Mega Aggron with max EVs in Attack with Adamant nature
252+ Atk Mega Aggron Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Hydreigon: 206-244 (63.3 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Aggron Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Hydreigon: 165-195 (50.7 - 60%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Aggron Heavy Slam (60 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Hydreigon: 124-147 (38.1 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Note: Hydreigon has Modest nature with 252 EVs into Sp. Attack and Mega Aggron has Impish nature with 252 EVs in both Sp. Defense and HP.
252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Filter Mega Aggron: 250-294 (72.6 - 85.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Hydreigon Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Filter Mega Aggron: 192-226 (55.8 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Assuming Hydreigon without his Life Orb got the maximum damage roll possible (65.6%), all Hydreigon would have to do is to go for a Dark Pulse which, even with a minimum roll, can still finish off Aggron. (Dark Pulse's damage % is 36.9 - 43.8%, the HP % that Mega Aggron has is 34%)

Now, assuming Hydreigon, still without his Life Orb, got the minimum damage roll (55.8%), Hydreigon would HAVE to go for another Focus Blast as the damage roll of Dark Pulse leaves Mega Aggron at about 12% health.

In conclusion, Hydreigon has a much easier time vs Mega Aggron. In the end, unless Mega Aggron goes for Thunder Wave and Hydreigon is paralyzed the next turn, Hydreigon will win the match.

Anywho, sorry if I seem like I'm taking this too seriously, as I mean this all in good fun! :laugh:
But that's IF Hydreigon has a Lum Berry, which isn't an good as a choiced item or Life Orb. Not to mention that's if Focus Miss doesn't live up to it's name. Even then, what if Hydreigon misses, but Aggron uses Automotize or bettr yet, Rock Polish?

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
Mega Aggron is a really awesome Mega <3 named my to "Gilbert"

if Mega Aggron has T-wave and Iron Head, he can do the infamous Paraflinch hax. not as good as togekiss/jirachis with their ability but the luck can happen

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
But that's IF Hydreigon has a Lum Berry, which isn't an good as a choiced item or Life Orb. Not to mention that's if Focus Miss doesn't live up to it's name. Even then, what if Hydreigon misses, but Aggron uses Automotize or bettr yet, Rock Polish?
I just tested it, it seems Mega Aggron MUST run max EVs in Speed if it wishes to outspeed a Hydreigon, even with Autotomize. Even then, you'd have to set it up requiring one turn of possibly getting hit by a Focus Blast/Miss.

Paraflinch hax
ech

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

btw, check the calcs on 4 other moves: Dragon Claw, Dragon Rush, Superpower and Head Smash

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
btw, check the calcs on 4 other moves: Dragon Claw, Dragon Rush, Superpower and Head Smash
I had no idea Aggron could even learn Dragon Rush... and I simply forgot he could learn Dragon Claw.

Anywho, here are the calculations:
252+ Atk Mega Aggron Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Hydreigon: 248-292 (76.3 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Aggron Dragon Rush vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Hydreigon: 308-364 (94.7 - 112%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Mega Aggron Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Hydreigon: 231-272 (71 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Aggron Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Hydreigon: 370-436 (113.8 - 134.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Only Superpower is a sure OHKO, but Hydreigon still has the possibility to withstand a Dragon Rush, albiet very unlikely.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I had no idea Aggron could even learn Dragon Rush... and I simply forgot he could learn Dragon Claw.

Anywho, here are the calculations:
252+ Atk Mega Aggron Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Hydreigon: 248-292 (76.3 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Aggron Dragon Rush vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Hydreigon: 308-364 (94.7 - 112%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Mega Aggron Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Hydreigon: 231-272 (71 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Aggron Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Hydreigon: 370-436 (113.8 - 134.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Only Superpower is a sure OHKO, but Hydreigon still has the possibility to withstand a Dragon Rush, albiet very unlikely.
We all make mistakes. I was going to ask Brick Break calcs until I noticed you said Ice Punch

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Mega Aggron is the best thing in taking physical attacks in the ****ing game. 70 HP, highest defence in the game, 80(?)SPDefence and filter. Combine that with a monstrous attack stat and great movepull, you're already dead
I'd like to point out that while Filter does help reduce super-effective damage, it won't save Mega Aggron from getting 1-hit KO'd by certain special attacks. Even with access to Earthquake and Stone Edge, most Fire-type special sweepers outspeed Mega Aggron, especially Mega Charizard Y, who is probably Mega Aggron's worst nightmare.

Yes, Mega Aggron is very durable against physical sweepers, but it won't last long against special sweeping threats, and even physical sweepers can start leaving big dents on it if they boost their attack stat, especially when their ability is Mold Breaker. At one time, I came close to 1-hit KOing a Mega Aggron with my Pangoro, who had Mold Breaker and Storm Throw, along with an attack boost by Swords Dance.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'd like to point out that while Filter does help reduce super-effective damage, it won't save Mega Aggron from getting 1-hit KO'd by certain special attacks. Even with access to Earthquake and Stone Edge, most Fire-type special sweepers outspeed Mega Aggron, especially Mega Charizard Y, who is probably Mega Aggron's worst nightmare.

Yes, Mega Aggron is very durable against physical sweepers, but it won't last long against special sweeping threats, and even physical sweepers can start leaving big dents on it if they boost their attack stat, especially when their ability is Mold Breaker. At one time, I came close to 1-hit KOing a Mega Aggron with my Pangoro, who had Mold Breaker and Storm Throw, along with an attack boost by Swords Dance.
Yeah, but all those pokemon are garbage compared to Aggron because it's a ****ing steel plated train dinosaur

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yeah, but all those pokemon are garbage compared to Aggron because it's a ****ing steel plated train dinosaur
Still, every Pokemon has its weakness, and to be very fair, that one match that I used Pangoro against Mega Aggron on was a triple battle, so my Pangoro had extra aid on its side. In fact, I used to do a good amount of online triple battles on my copy of Pokemon Y, utilizing different battle strategies to try to outwit my opponents.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Still, every Pokemon has its weakness, and to be very fair, that one match that I used Pangoro against Mega Aggron on was a triple battle, so my Pangoro had extra aid on its side. In fact, I used to do a good amount of online triple battles on my copy of Pokemon Y, utilizing different battle strategies to try to outwit my opponents.
my reference isn't understood smh

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Wow, this has turned into an actual competitive discussion. Okay.

I've used Mega Aggron competitively in the past. Even using a Rest Talk set, it was absolutely incredible. Of course, it's not OU, but it was still stupid the types of things it'd survive. It takes some support to use, but it's definitely worth it if you're a fan of that monster. I recommend Chansey or Sylveon as a partner for higher special defense and Wish/Heal Bell support.

Aggron/Chansey new skarmbliss confirmed.
Hydreigon is no Garchomp though, so it definitely will struggle against the stronger Fairy-types, especially since their special defense values are often on the high side; Hydreigon excels better with special attacks.

Teaching Hydreigon Flash Cannon may be a bold move, but it likely won't be enough, and just one Dazzling Gleam, Moonblast, or Pixilate Hyper Voice can wipe it out easily.
I was just being silly. I know just as well as anyone how much Hydreigon struggles with Fairies. I've considered using a Hydreigon to bait fairies before, so I ran calcs with Flash Cannon, and as you said, most fairies have high enough special defense to take a hit or two from it. Azumarill was especially problematic. That strategy had to be scrapped before it ever even got to see the light of day.
Why'd you teach a Mega Aggron Dragon Claw/Rush or Head Smash?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Wow, this has turned into an actual competitive discussion. Okay.

I've used Mega Aggron competitively in the past. Even using a Rest Talk set, it was absolutely incredible. Of course, it's not OU, but it was still stupid the types of things it'd survive. It takes some support to use, but it's definitely worth it if you're a fan of that monster. I recommend Chansey or Sylveon as a partner for higher special defense and Wish/Heal Bell support.

Aggron/Chansey new skarmbliss confirmed.I was just being silly. I know just as well as anyone how much Hydreigon struggles with Fairies. I've considered using a Hydreigon to bait fairies before, so I ran calcs with Flash Cannon, and as you said, most fairies have high enough special defense to take a hit or two from it. Azumarill was especially problematic. That strategy had to be scrapped before it ever even got to see the light of day.
I gave it Dragon Claw because my 3DS broke before ORAS was announced and I thought '**** you pseudolegendaries I have something for all of you'

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Dragon Tail(or Roar) is the real way to go with Mega Aggron.
Laugh at those dragon dancers and intercept those annoying special attacker swap ins.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If I were to guess, Head Smash is for the extra power, but without the Rock Head ability, Mega Aggron's longevity heavily suffers from that 1/2 recoil damage penalty. As for Dragon Claw and Dragon Rush, Aggron has no use for either of those moves whatsoever.

I've used neither of those pokes in competitive. As I said in greninja boards, I always play mid tiers. I run Entei and Regice on my most recent VGC doubles team. Entei doesn't even have Extreme Speed.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I've personally found 3vs3 battles to have far less strategy involved than 6vs6. There's less potential pokemon to swap out to, and less potential Pokemon to have to look out for. Less options for both you and your opponent make for a much shorter, simpler game.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
It's shorter than 6vs6, yes, but 6vs6 can often go from 30 min to even 60 min per battle...

Switching less actually makes MORE pokemon viable, not less, because entry hazards are much less common. "Less potential pokemon to look out for"? I guess if you mean the exact opposite, then yes. You still have to look out for your opponent's entire 6-mon team, because you don't know which 3 they'll pick. And, again, more pokemon are viable in 3vs3, not less.

For instance, people who only know the old, Smogon way of doing things think you must be crazy if you think Mega Blaziken or Aegislash is a fair pick for standard, non-uber battles... but while both are still powerful, they are forced into checkmate easily, and are actually not overwhelming.; they can coexist in harmony with pokemon like Pyroar or Vivillion.

Part of why this is so, besides fewer entry hazards, is due to hold item variety. Items like Focus Sash and Choice Scarf rule the meta, while set-up sweepers are all but useless in most situations. Things like Choice Band and Leftovers are still important, but Eject Button, Rocky Helmet, and Red Card are also extremely valuable.

Back to that Focus Sash and Choice Scarf comment. Focus Sash will almost always be intact, so it allows you to use it defensively (design a perfect counter), or offensively (design the perfect sweeper). Meanwhile, it is soundly beaten and checked by any kind of passive damage, second attack, or multi-hit. It's powerful, but not broken. The same goes for Choice Scarf: Scarf cleaners become extremely potent, but the limited opportunities to switch Pokemon turn them more into pawns in a larger game of chess. Also, since you can't switch much, it's common to get locked into the wrong move... suddenly, your unbeatable trump card gets outplayed by an intelligently selected type resistance surprise.

The meta is fast-paced, an adrenaline rush, with multiple layers of strategy. To say 3vs3 is simpler than 6vs6 is just delusion. In the end, it depends on how you look at it, but at worst you can say it is equally complex. All the basic tenants are present; it's still a game of Pokemon. However, you have the "see 6, pick 3" layer, and all that entails for team building. You are exchanging the frequency of one strategy for another, given, but the format is extremely forgiving in what pokemon can viably coexist, compared to concepts like OU 6vs6.

Last edited:

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
So this is out of left field, but I wonder if Mewtwo's release was heavily rushed to get him out the door? He shipped with a ton of custom glitches, and he even felt extremely unfinished at the time. Perhaps they rushed him out because they needed more time to work on Lucas/Roy/Ryu before their releases two months later.

Mewtwo now feels like what the development team really wanted in the first place. Mewtwo at release felt like he was still in development and needed more time for balance changes and hitbox adjustments. Even pre-patch I didn't think he was as bad as people said, but it was clear to me that he was unfinished or not tweaked well enough at all due to shoddy hitboxes and not nearly enough upsides compared to his downsides.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
So this is out of left field, but I wonder if Mewtwo's release was heavily rushed to get him out the door? He shipped with a ton of custom glitches, and he even felt extremely unfinished at the time. Perhaps they rushed him out because they needed more time to work on Lucas/Roy/Ryu before their releases two months later.

Mewtwo now feels like what the development team really wanted in the first place. Mewtwo at release felt like he was still in development and needed more time for balance changes and hitbox adjustments. Even pre-patch I didn't think he was as bad as people said, but it was clear to me that he was unfinished or not tweaked well enough at all due to shoddy hitboxes and not nearly enough upsides compared to his downsides.
I dunno man, Mewtwo still wasn't the glitchiest character. Pac-Man almost ALWAYS gets a stupid glitch every patch

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've personally found 3vs3 battles to have far less strategy involved than 6vs6. There's less potential pokemon to swap out to, and less potential Pokemon to have to look out for. Less options for both you and your opponent make for a much shorter, simpler game.
Single battles pretty much limit your battle strategies as a whole. When you switch over to double or triple battles, however, then that adds extra possibilities to your strategies, and can make certain Pokemon operate better than they ever could in a single battle.

For an example, Regigigas is pretty much garbage in a single battle, but it can become a huge beast almost instantly in a double or triple battle if it's paired with a Pokemon who can get rid of the Slow Start ability. Similarly, removing Defeatist from Archeops ensures that it can strike hard, even when it's about to fall.

This goes even further if your team focuses on weather usage, Tailwind, or Trick Room.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Single battles pretty much limit your battle strategies as a whole. When you switch over to double or triple battles, however, then that adds extra possibilities to your strategies, and can make certain Pokemon operate better than they ever could in a single battle.

For an example, Regigigas is pretty much garbage in a single battle, but it can become a huge beast almost instantly in a double or triple battle if it's paired with a Pokemon who can get rid of the Slow Start ability. Similarly, removing Defeatist from Archeops ensures that it can strike hard, even when it's about to fall.

This goes even further if your team focuses on weather usage, Tailwind, or Trick Room.
Oh, absolutely! Doubles and Triple battles are a lot of fun, and allow for some very elaborate set-ups!

It's just that, if I want to play Singles and take it seriously, I prefer 3vs3.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Singles 6v6 is my preferred format, but I do enjoy Dubs, Triples and 3v3 singles on occasion. For 3v3 I do like the team preview mindgames and lack of Stall, but I still prefer 6v6 since I can have all of my options available.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Singles 6v6 is my preferred format, but I do enjoy Dubs, Triples and 3v3 singles on occasion. For 3v3 I do like the team preview mindgames and lack of Stall, but I still prefer 6v6 since I can have all of my options available.
I've run stall on 3vs3. I actually think it's more fun, since it doesn't often last nearly as long, but you still can get the satisfaction of completely invalidating your opponent's team. It's pretty fun.

Playing out the clock is what deters me from doing it, though. Essentially, I out-play my opponent into a checkmate scenario, but they run out the clock instead of accepting defeat. It's unsportsmanlike.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Surprised on the lack of discussion on Mewtwo getting 4th solo at Shockwave 62, which had 100+ entrants. That's pretty stellar...

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Surprised on the lack of discussion on Mewtwo getting 4th solo at Shockwave 62, which had 100+ entrants. That's pretty stellar...
People don't generally care unless it has to do with a top player losing to them.

Mewtwo got 4th at a large tournament? Who cares, still too light and a bad character, etc.

Samus took a game off ZeRo? Stop the presses, she's not a bad character after all, etc.

It's gonna take Abadango to change public perception. Sad to say, but it's true.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
People don't generally care unless it has to do with a top player losing to them.

Mewtwo got 4th at a large tournament? Who cares, still too light and a bad character, etc.

Samus took a game off ZeRo? Stop the presses, she's not a bad character after all, etc.

It's gonna take Abadango to change public perception. Sad to say, but it's true.
That's @MewSquared. I believe he got 3 at Shockwave 63 Y Yonder .

He always places pretty high and is PR'ed. I think his main problem is the Shiek and ZSS that are usually in top 8.

Top Bottom