• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

RayNoire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RayNoire
I love how everyone looks at Roy and Ryu and they're like "Looks like I have a new main!"

It reminds me of Mewtwo from the time he came out until 10 minutes later.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Soooooooo... I think we should start a petition. Compared to Lucas, Roy and Ryu, Mewtwo is kind of a joke. I get that Mewtwo is a glass cannon but it doesn't make sense that he's underpowered in terms of hitboxes. If his main design is to be powerful but easy to kill then he should:

- Be able to kill fast if he's able to be killed fast
- Wider hitboxes on smash and B attacks
- A neutrail air thay can interrupt attacks
- FASTER if he's that light
- Faster grabs

That's it Sakurai. That's it..

PS, The argument that "at least he's in the game" is a bit defeatest. Lucas and Roy came back and they're way more balanced than Mewtwo. I barely know how to play either and I'm getting more decent kills on FG compared to Mewtwo who I've been practicing with since release.
Honestly, if they would just give Mewtwo kill power similar to Roy's, I think he'd be good to go. Some hitbox fixes would be nice, too. Other than that, I think Mewtwo is a pretty good character.

I don't think signing a petition is a good idea, though. I think that it could come off as whiny and ungrateful, even thought that obviously wouldn't be the intention behind it. I mean, it's been 2 months since Mewtwo was released. That's not a lot of time to make proper adjustments, especially since 3 more characters were literally just added to the game. Personally, I think we should give Sakurai a reasonable amount of time to make adjustments, and, if none come, then we should start talking about making a petition. In the meantime, I think we should politely discuss Mewtwo's apparent need of buffs in order to bring the issue to Nintendo's attention. That's my two cents, anyway.

Last edited:

RayNoire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RayNoire
All he needs--the only thing--is fixed hitboxes.

But he needs a lot of them. Jab, Up tilt, Forward Smash, Down Smash, Both Standing and Dash Grab, Forward Air, Back Air, and Up Air all whiff when the animation says they shouldn't.

Fix all these and we're golden.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Honestly, if they would just give Mewtwo kill power similar to Roy's, I think he'd be good to go. Some hitbox fixes would be nice, too. Other than that, I think Mewtwo is a pretty good character.

I don't think signing a petition is a good idea, though. I think that it could come off as whiny and ungrateful, even thought that obviously wouldn't be the intention behind it. I mean, it's been 2 months since Mewtwo was released. That's not a lot of time to make proper adjustments, especially since 3 more characters were literally just added to the game. Personally, I think we should give Sakurai a reasonable amount of time to make adjustments, and, if none come, then we should start talking about making a petition. In the meantime, I think we should politely discuss Mewtwo's apparent need of buffs in order to bring the issue to Nintendo's attention. That's my two cents, anyway.
Fair enough. I still do well with Mewtwo but I just don't like how I have to work extra hard at him. And it's not because he's a difficult character per se, it's just that he's unbalanced. The glass cannon ideology fails when the things that are supposed to make him a glass cannon aren't there.. he's more of a glass pistol. I still love him cause he's Mewtwo; Just saying, it's a bit unfair. Especially considering his reputation of being a legendary and one of the strongest Pokemon of all time. But you're right, we should give it more time. I'm just worried that it'll be overlooked.

All he needs--the only thing--is fixed hitboxes.

But he needs a lot of them. Jab, Up tilt, Forward Smash, Down Smash, Both Standing and Dash Grab, Forward Air, Back Air, and Up Air all whiff when the animation says they shouldn't.

Fix all these and we're golden.
I agree. And if his NAir can interrupt USmashes/Uairs that would be great too. And if Confusion can have a wider hitbox and last a second longer.

Overall, all I want is:
- Bigger hitboxes
- Speed buff

I mean, the reason why he's not heavy and instead light is because of his psi powers right? Shouldn't that also make him faster? Maybe not Shiek fast but if Roy can move that fast with all that armor, Mewtwo should be able to as well - not that I've compared speeds but Roy seems faster than Mewtwo.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
the only thing I really want to mewtwo is some moves to be faster with a better grab. that way he can combo more easy and set up stuff for kills before dying at the same %

but I knew that mewtwo was too early to buff/nerf atm, he is only been out 2 months. but I do think that now in august he might get something

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
With Mewtwo and Roy back all of my mains from melee are together again :4peach:, :4fox:, :4jigglypuff:, :4mewtwo:, :4feroy: in that order. And with Mewtwo I have one of my favorite dream teams.
mewtwo_and_lucario_bros___by_xsol_studiosx-d8dfcf0.png

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Fair enough. I still do well with Mewtwo but I just don't like how I have to work extra hard at him. And it's not because he's a difficult character per se, it's just that he's unbalanced. The glass cannon ideology fails when the things that are supposed to make him a glass cannon aren't there.. he's more of a glass pistol. I still love him cause he's Mewtwo; Just saying, it's a bit unfair. Especially considering his reputation of being a legendary and one of the strongest Pokemon of all time. But you're right, we should give it more time. I'm just worried that it'll be overlooked.

I agree. And if his NAir can interrupt USmashes/Uairs that would be great too. And if Confusion can have a wider hitbox and last a second longer.

Overall, all I want is:
- Bigger hitboxes
- Speed buff

I mean, the reason why he's not heavy and instead light is because of his psi powers right? Shouldn't that also make him faster? Maybe not Shiek fast but if Roy can move that fast with all that armor, Mewtwo should be able to as well - not that I've compared speeds but Roy seems faster than Mewtwo.
I can agree with all of this, for sure. If nothing else, I think hitbox fixes would be nice. In my opinion, that should take priority over other buffs because it's a technical issue with the character, not a balance issue. However, past that, everything that's been mentioned would be extremely useful, too. I don't know if I'd rather have speed or power, but I do know that either would be very beneficial. Also, as unlikely as it is, getting both would be incomprehensibly awesome!

Also, I wouldn't worry about Mewtwo's weaknesses being overlooked quite yet. Samus just got her first big buff in 1.0.8, and, while I realize that it took longer than it should have for her to be buffed, it shows that Sakurai doesn't forget about a character's weaknesses very easily. I think that's a good sign for Mewtwo, personally. Now, if we go 3 or 4 balance patches without seeing anything happen to Mewtwo, that's when I'd start worrying. But, unless that happens, I wouldn't get your socks in a knot:).

RayNoire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RayNoire
I'd rather have power than speed, but I'm weird in that way. I looooooooove heavies.

But really, we have a lot of power as is. Like, a lot. So much that I'd rather not draw attention to it. >_>

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I don't really think this means anything, but look at what I found!
Apparently, there's an unknown Nintendo game that's going to be shown off. It's not necessarily an unannounced game, but at least it's something. I'm also interested in that unannounced PlatinumGames title. It's The Wonderful 102 I wonder what it could be...

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I agree with U-throw's side of the argument. I think people really are overreacting to Federation Forces. It's not like they're not going to make another "true" Metroid because of this game. It's just a spinoff! Ignore it if you don't like what you saw, but I don't think it's fair to criticize Nintendo because it's not a "real" Metroid game. :p

Plus, I honestly think it could be a great game (although I agree that the graphics are terrible). Like Mewtwomaster said, it actually looks pretty fun based on first impressions.

I see a lot of people saying this, but does Star Fox Zero really have bad graphics? It honestly looks great to me. Really good. Granted Smash 4 looks better, but SF Zero looks really good to me. Gameplay looks like any other Star Fox game... don't really see any problem with it. Has online multiplayer been disconfirmed for Zero? That's truly a shame... Star Fox Assault multiplayer was reaallyyy fun.

Back on the current topic, I feel like I suck with Mewtwo. Haven't felt this way before. I'm kinda disappointed honestly. I put more time into Mewtwo than any other character. Recently I've been playing Roy against my friend a lot, and he said that my Roy is better than my Mewtwo. I honestly agree... I can feel it. That's kinda ridiculous considering I literally used Mewtwo 10 times more than Roy. Roy barely came out and he's better than my Mewtwo already! It's not because Roy is a good character either, because I feel like I'm better with Marth, Charizard, and Lucina as well. I honestly feel like I suck with Mewtwo. I dunno if it's just me or the character, or possibly both. I'll still continue to use him because I love that guy, but it's becoming extremely hard. It's kinda sad that I put in so much effort and time into Mewtwo but I still suck with him. I put in way less effort and time into other certain characters but I'm way better with them. I think I could be better with Mewtwo if they buffed him. Sakurai please help. ;-;

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The reason people reacted the way they did was because it was the first game in 5 years and fans were pretty much begging for a new Metroid. Samus was confirmed a few hours ago instead of the trailer. Salt died out a bit with the fact that it's to help an eventual Prime game's story, but if a friend of mine who isn't that much of a Metroid fan would be angry enough to eat chips despite his strict diet, that's saying something. Would you like it if your favourite franchise didn't have a new game in 5 years and they hyped up a spinoff? The way they should have handled this is by showing a real Metroid game or saying "We're still working on main series Metroid games" at the presentation

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I agree with U-throw's side of the argument. I think people really are overreacting to Federation Forces. It's not like they're not going to make another "true" Metroid because of this game. It's just a spinoff! Ignore it if you don't like what you saw, but I don't think it's fair to criticize Nintendo because it's not a "real" Metroid game. :p

Plus, I honestly think it could be a great game (although I agree that the graphics are terrible). Like Mewtwomaster said, it actually looks pretty fun based on first impressions.

I see a lot of people saying this, but does Star Fox Zero really have bad graphics? It honestly looks great to me. Really good. Granted Smash 4 looks better, but SF Zero looks really good to me. Gameplay looks like any other Star Fox game... don't really see any problem with it. Has online multiplayer been disconfirmed for Zero? That's truly a shame... Star Fox Assault multiplayer was reaallyyy fun.

Back on the current topic, I feel like I suck with Mewtwo. Haven't felt this way before. I'm kinda disappointed honestly. I put more time into Mewtwo than any other character. Recently I've been playing Roy against my friend a lot, and he said that my Roy is better than my Mewtwo. I honestly agree... I can feel it. That's kinda ridiculous considering I literally used Mewtwo 10 times more than Roy. Roy barely came out and he's better than my Mewtwo already! It's not because Roy is a good character either, because I feel like I'm better with Marth, Charizard, and Lucina as well. I honestly feel like I suck with Mewtwo. I dunno if it's just me or the character, or possibly both. I'll still continue to use him because I love that guy, but it's becoming extremely hard. It's kinda sad that I put in so much effort and time into Mewtwo but I still suck with him. I put in way less effort and time into other certain characters but I'm way better with them. I think I could be better with Mewtwo if they buffed him. Sakurai please help. ;-;
Firstly, thank you! Secondly, no, online multiplayer hasn't been disconfirmed for Star Fox Zero. Shigeru Miyamoto made it clear that they're simply focusing on an expansive single-player campaign at the moment. He said that, once Zero is far enough into development, he would heavily consider incorporating online multiplayer if he felt like it could be made good enough with the time they have remaining. Basically, online multiplayer is a possibility at this point. Nothing more, nothing less. If it's any consolation, though, local multiplayer has been confirmed.

As for Zero's graphics, yes, they are a little subpar. That said, I agree that they look perfectly fine. However, the graphics do have an excuse. Nintendo and PlatinumGames wanted to ensure that the game would consistently run at 60 frames per second on both the GamePad and the Wii U. That takes a ton of processing power, so the graphics do have to suffer slightly. Also, keep in mind that the footage they showed could be well over 4 months old. It's entirely possible that Zero's graphics have improved substantially and since then, and they're almost certainly going to continue to improve.

Finally getting back on topic, don't feel bad. Mewtwo is a difficult character to use, even with lots of experience, so I don't think your apparent ineptness with Mewtwo reflects your ability to play Smash 4 at all. If anything, the fact that you continue to use Mewtwo, despite being a little inferior as him, shows that you're good player. And, yes, I agree. While I think Mewtwo is a decent character, he could definitely use some buffs. If Mewtwo were improved in a balance patch, which isn't a far-fetched idea, then I think everyone on this thread would see some significant improvement in their ability to effectively use Mewtwo. He's simply difficult to use at this point because of his glaring weaknesses, and I think that a few buffs could definitely change that.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I only skimmed the argument on the last page, I'm going to point at that Captain Toad was not called "Super Mario Galaxy: Treasure Tracker". If it was, it would of gotten a ton of salt.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I only skimmed the argument on the last page, I'm going to point at that Captain Toad was not called "Super Mario Galaxy: Treasure Tracker". If it was, it would of gotten a ton of salt.
It would have been Super Mario 3D World: Treasure Tracker if anything since that's the game it originated from.

People are getting mad that a true Metroid game is seemingly skipping the Wii U but then it skipped the N64 too didn't it?
And look what we eventually got after that wait.

And about Starfox Zero, anyone notice how the robot you deploy from the gyrocopter looks like ROB?

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
And about Starfox Zero, anyone notice how the robot you deploy from the gyrocopter looks like ROB?
Yeah! He looks awesome. Apparently, that little robot's name is Direct-i, and he's kind of like an on-field version of ROB 64. Basically, Direct-i can be deployed from the Gyrowing and guided through small areas that are too tight be navigated by the Gyrowing. He can also be deployed and used to pick up bombs and crates and drop them on enemies, kind of like a mini-crane. Direct-i looks like he'll add an interesting aspect to the Gyrowing levels, and I really like how his appearance is a callout to ROB. I think he's kinda cute! ^_^

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah! He looks awesome. Apparently, that little robot's name is Direct-i, and he's kind of like an on-field version of ROB 64. Basically, Direct-i can be deployed from the Gyrowing and guided through small areas that are too tight be navigated by the Gyrowing. He can also be deployed and used to pick up bombs and crates and drop them on enemies, kind of like a mini-crane. Direct-i looks like he'll add an interesting aspect to the Gyrowing levels, and I really like how his appearance is a callout to ROB. I think he's kinda cute! ^_^
Somehow I anticipate complaints that those gyrowing levels slow down the pace of the game...

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Somehow I anticipate complaints that those gyrowing levels slow down the pace of the game...
Yeah, probably. I mean, I personally think the Gyrowing levels look like a lot of fun. Apparently, they're supposed to be more about stealth and taking it easy, and I think that'll add a healthy dose of variety to the game. Of course, not everyone shares my opinions, and there are definitely going to be people who dislike the Gyrowing levels, and that's OK. I just wish it wouldn't detract from the game's ratings...

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Mewtwo isn't an easy character to play, but I've found success in using him. In fact, the only one who is stronger than my Mewtwo, would be my Dark Pit.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
In regards to the Metroid Federation game, I will admit that I wanted to play as a Federation Soldier when I first saw them in Metroid Prime Echoes...I didn't expect them to make them look like cute cartoon characters in this spinoff. We'll see how it plays out when it comes out.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I must be a man of unpopular opinion. I love the way the new game looks and totally can't wait.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I don't think Metroid Prime: Federation Force looks like a bad game.
I just think it doesn't look enough like a Metroid Prime game to be treated as one.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I know right? I was really happy to see that he got it.
Mmmhm. I'm pretty much getting everything I want in this Smash. xD All I need now to be completely satisfied...would be to have Pichu and Young Link back, somehow...someway.
Having Roy and Mewtwo back, alone, is huge though. I can't believe we even got one of them.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I don't think Metroid Prime: Federation Force looks like a bad game.
I just think it doesn't look enough like a Metroid Prime game to be treated as one.
That's the thing with fans of certain series. They don't want change. Metroid fans are a prime example. (Before anyone thinks I'm bashing the fanbase I have every Metroid Prime including Hunters and Trilogy.) Nintendo can, apparently, make spinoffs of any franchise, whether it be Kirby, Zelda, Mario, Animal Crossing, etc. changing the formula drastically but God forbid they do it with Metroid Prime.

It's ridiculous that people are already complaining about the game. It even looks more like a Metroid Prime game than Kirby Canvas Curse looks like a Kirby game. It has the same basic concept and gameplay of Prime just with a different artistic direction and Co-op play. I really don't understand the hate even as a hardcore Metroid fan. Hell, at least we know it's still breathing which can't be said about quite a few other Nintendo franchises.

Edit: this isn't pointed towards you specifically, by the way. In fact it's mostly pointed to these people.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
That's the thing with fans of certain series. They don't want change. Metroid fans are a prime example. (Before anyone thinks I'm bashing the fanbase I have every Metroid Prime including Hunters and Trilogy.) Nintendo can, apparently, make spinoffs of any franchise, whether it be Kirby, Zelda, Mario, Animal Crossing, etc. changing the formula drastically but God forbid they do it with Metroid Prime.
lololololololololol

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465

It's ridiculous that people are already complaining about the game. It even looks more like a Metroid Prime game than Kirby Canvas Curse looks like a Kirby game. It has the same basic concept and gameplay of Prime just with a different artistic direction and Co-op play. I really don't understand the hate even as a hardcore Metroid fan. Hell, at least we know it's still breathing which can't be said about quite a few other Nintendo franchises.

Edit: this isn't pointed towards you specifically, by the way. In fact it's mostly pointed to these people.
You know, I'm going to laugh if Nintendo actually cancels it.
Just imagine how much they'll complain about it actually being cancelled. :awesome: You don't want Metroid? Ok, we won't give you Metroid.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Ah, yes. That petition gave me cancer. Again.
Well, to be fair, the game does look pretty dumb when compared to the other Metroid games. And it's been, what? 5 years since the last game? And...wasn't Other M a complete bomb, as well?

Honestly, they have a right to be upset about this. Granted, a petition is going pretty far...but, hey...maybe Nintendo will actually get it this time?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
People are really overreacting about this whole Metroid Prime: Federation Force and all, but...it is a good thing, in its own way.
Nintendo needs to know what their fans want, and with so many people complaining, it's very clear to Nintendo that fans want a Metroid Prime game that's loyal to the Trilogy. If Retro isn't already working on one, this might be the push they need.

Top Bottom