• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(Spolier)Whats the deal with SSB's story line?

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
I beat the SSB and was alittle confused by the end boss (Whats the deal with him collecting all the places) and whats with Master Hand and Ganondof ( i get that Ganondof is using Bowser). Basicly, whats the hole worship (kinda) of master hand, and who is Tabuu and whats he trying to do? What is the Subspace basic storyline?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Try not to tie to much logic to the SSE. As many people have said, it's almost completely random and some of the elements are flat out goofy (case in point: Sonic showing up for absolutely no reason near the very end).

Bane84

Smash Journeyman
(case in point: Sonic showing up for absolutely no reason near the very end).
Actually, there is a reason behind that. It's very simple. See, the reason that Sonic shows up at the very end is because... they wanted to make it so you have to complete the whole SSE to unlock him as a playable character (outside of suiciding VS matches). ;)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Actually, there is a reason behind that. It's very simple. See, the reason that Sonic shows up at the very end is because... they wanted to make it so you have to complete the whole SSE to unlock him as a playable character (outside of suiciding VS matches). ;)
Actually, I think you can also unlock him by beating Classic Mode with 10 different characters or at least that's what I've been told. In all seriousness though, his appearance is completely random. I realize that he wasn't added until 2007 but couldn't they have at least made more of an effort to incorporate him into the SSE?

NeroeXIII

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai was Lazy they probably finish all the cutscenes and then decided to put in Sonic. So they just added him last minute. If you read the Tabuu trophy ( I dont have it, And I Dont know how to get it) It describes who he is a bit (there was a thread about it)

Bane84

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai was Lazy they probably finish all the cutscenes and then decided to put in Sonic. So they just added him last minute. If you read the Tabuu trophy ( I dont have it, And I Dont know how to get it) It describes who he is a bit (there was a thread about it)
My guess is that somehow... somewhere... you need to weaken Tabuu and then attack him with the Trophy Stand.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I think you get his trophy from clear boss battles with all character according to Challenge.

WarxePB

Smash Ace
I beat the SSB and was alittle confused by the end boss (Whats the deal with him collecting all the places)
Those bubbles were all of the places where Subspace Bombs were used. The last level (where you're traveling through all of those areas) is actually in those bubbles.

and whats with Master Hand and Ganondof ( i get that Ganondof is using Bowser).
I don't really know why Ganondorf was working for Master Hand, though it's highly likely that Ganondorf was going to betray Master Hand and get some sort of power. But when he saw Tabuu controlling MH, he realized how much of a threat Tabuu was to his secret plan and attempted to destroy him (or something).
As far as I know, Wario and Bowser were also working directly for Master Hand, but Ganondorf was directing them.

who is Tabuu and whats he trying to do?
Tabuu is the ruler of Subspace. For some random reason, he took control of Master Hand and attempted to take the Smash world into Subspace (one would assume that he was jealous of Master Hand's creations).

What is the Subspace basic storyline?
A bunch of random Nintendo characters get together and fight an evil extradimensional threat.

Ouendanation

Smash Ace
.....Sonic was announced in October.

............................5 months is not last minute.

EDIT: Oh, were you talking about them adding Tabuu (silly localizers.) at the last second?

Icarus Descent

Smash Ace
Tabuu Trophy:http://brawlcentral.com/content.php?p=trophy/sse/tabuu

What it Says: The ruler of Subspace and master of operations. Tabuu controls Master Hand with chains of light to excise this world and build up his great maze. He used Shadow Bugs to form Subspace and manipulates the servants of Master Hand to his heart's content. Born in a vastly foreign realm, he also possesses great leadership powers. Tabuu... No name is more suitable.

Viroxor

Smash Ace
It says to get him, you have to use a Trophy Stand on "The Original Enemy". What does that mean?

Anyway, I figure everyone was being controlled by Master Hand, so Tabuu got angry and jealous and enslaved Master Hand and dragged him into Subspace. From there, he (through Master Hand) ordered Ganondorf and the Ancient Minister to drag the entire world into Subspace so he could control them. And they recruited Wario, Porky, Bowser, and Ridley. But his plan went awry, of course, when Master Hand was freed and subsequently subdued, allowing the main characters an opening to head to the center of Subspace and fight Tabuu once and for all.

Not sure what happened to the Left Hand, though.

Houkatori

Smash Rookie

Why do you think the game got delayed for 3 months?

Besides, in game development terms, 5 months IS last minute when you're adding an entirely new character/stage/music set.

Icarus Descent

Smash Ace
It says to get him, you have to use a Trophy Stand on "The Original Enemy". What does that mean?

Anyway, I figure everyone was being controlled by Master Hand, so Tabuu got angry and jealous and enslaved Master Hand and dragged him into Subspace. From there, he (through Master Hand) ordered Ganondorf and the Ancient Minister to drag the entire world into Subspace so he could control them. And they recruited Wario, Porky, Bowser, and Ridley. But his plan went awry, of course, when Master Hand was freed and subsequently subdued, allowing the main characters an opening to head to the center of Subspace and fight Tabuu once and for all.

Not sure what happened to the Left Hand, though.
Throw the trophy stand item thats in the SSE at Tabuu,while fighting him.

Sparkchu

Smash Apprentice
I'm wondering more about the trophy concept in the story.

They don't really die, but rather get turned into trophies whether being KO'd or hit by that big gun. Plus, they could be easily changed back with just a touch or with one of Dedede's badges.

Weird world huh?

falco999

Smash Apprentice
i like how all the characters start off in different places then eventually meet up

Razorsaw

Smash Apprentice
They were collecting trophies and areas to gain favor or power from Master Hand. That was the impression I got. Ganondorf betrayed the others so that he would be the only one left with any power and strength. Meanwhile, Tabuu controlled everything so that he could take control of the entire world for himself.

Didn't seem THAT hard to follow to me.

Intercept

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure you don't get Tabuu with a trophy stand. If I remember correctly, it is something to do with boss battles. It's in the bottom right area of the challenges screen I believe.

Puffs

Smash Ace
There's a Tabuu trophy, and a Tabbu with wings trophy. One is gotten from boss battles, the other by chucking a trophy stand at him.

spyk90

Smash Cadet

Brawl's initial release date was in December, around Christmas.

I enjoy Brawl's adventure mode a lot better than Melee's. Especially, since they incorporated co-op, which makes it a whole lot more fun. Although, the storyline was a bit confusing and random, I thought it was pretty creative and had some humorous cut scenes.

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
Subspace Emissary is like some really poorly written fanfic
QFUT (Quoted for uber-truth). It's like some random Kirby fanatic infiltrated Nintendo and tweaked a Kirby handheld plot, slapped in some Kirby boss frames with models from other series, and killed all of the other people with ideas so Sakurai would have no choice but to pick theirs. Or Sakurai's ego just got out of hand. Either way, I'm sure there are many fanfics that are better than SSE--I'm sure I could write a better story, and I'm sure many of you could as well.

I hope Miyamoto kicks Sakurai out of SSB4 and takes over himself--Mario/Zelda et al sell better than Kirby games for a reason--they are generally better, and are just more important to Nintendo's history.

To flamers: I don't hate Kirby, but SSE is ridiculously disproportionate.

Razorsaw

Smash Apprentice
I love how people decide that the things that they don't like are due to the guys in charge being ineffectual morons. Nothing like unmitigated arrogance, yannow.

Puffs

Smash Ace
QFUT (Quoted for uber-truth). It's like some random Kirby fanatic infiltrated Nintendo and tweaked a Kirby handheld plot, slapped in some Kirby boss frames with models from other series, and killed all of the other people with ideas so Sakurai would have no choice but to pick theirs. Or Sakurai's ego just got out of hand. Either way, I'm sure there are many fanfics that are better than SSE--I'm sure I could write a better story, and I'm sure many of you could as well.

I hope Miyamoto kicks Sakurai out of SSB4 and takes over himself--Mario/Zelda et al sell better than Kirby games for a reason--they are generally better, and are just more important to Nintendo's history.

To flamers: I don't hate Kirby, but SSE is ridiculously disproportionate.
Notice how Meta Knight and Dedede are the most important characters in the story.

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
I love how people decide that the things that they don't like are due to the guys in charge being ineffectual morons. Nothing like unmitigated arrogance, yannow.
Methinks I smell Kirby fanboyishness...

I never called Sakurai ineffectual nor moronic. Just selfish and ignorant of the fact that his pet games aren't as important to Nintendo as he thinks they are (which according to Sakurai, is about equal to Mario/Zelda/Pokemon). And I don't like it because it doesn't make sense. If Kirby were the be all and end all of Nintendo, then I'd be fine with it. But it's not; thus I have a problem with how .

And I'm not arrogant; I'm correct. I love it how just because people decide that the things they don't like are being espoused by egocentric, illiterate imbeciles--very mature and open-minded on your part [sarcasm:/]. Besides, arrogance is by far better than ignorance--SSE is a glorified Kirby game, and anyone who tries to ignore facts and argue otherwise obviously doesn't have much appreciation for arbitrary representation of deserving series.

Go preach your close-minded gullibility to someone who actually cares.

Puffs

Smash Ace
Heaven forbid you forget about Kirby's importance! (
Dragoon destroys ship/castle/thing, Kirby swallows D3's thing and saves the day
)

Sakurai would have a heart attack! Shame!:laugh:
It adds insult to injury, when you realize how other series which are either just as good or better than Kirby are either underrepresented (Metroid) or grossly misrepresented (Metal Gear).

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
It adds insult to injury, when you realize how other series which are either just as good or better than Kirby are either underrepresented (Metroid) or grossly misrepresented (Metal Gear).
lol.

MGS is a really good series, but it only needed a cameo--the third parties were really only meant to have the one "mascot" that represented them: Sega's mascot is Sonic, Konami's is Snake. I'd prefer that, cuz then we won't have all the random Sonic characters joining the roster in future SSB's.

Metroid deserved at least one more rep. Ridley sucks as a boss (basically master hand, and I heard that it's almost the same as a Kirby boss). Should have been PC. Not sure if other chars would have been representative, but Kirby didn't deserve to have two new reps if other series didn't get any.

My peeves are that Kirby got two new reps, while Mario actually lost one (okay, in Brawl it would have been a costume change) and Zelda merely got an uglier version of Young Link (which we didn't need in Melee in the first place). No new characters at all.

That, and DeDeDe legitimately sucks in Brawl.

Puffs

Smash Ace
lol.

MGS is a really good series, but it only needed a cameo--the third parties were really only meant to have the one "mascot" that represented them: Sega's mascot is Sonic, Konami's is Snake. I'd prefer that, cuz then we won't have all the random Sonic characters joining the roster in future SSB's.
What I mean is that Sakurai doesn't stay true enough to the series as much as he should. Snake isn't one to hop in a chopper and shower everything with grenades when there's trouble. His Up+B move with the Cypher is also rather silly. It would be like if touching Trouble Bugs on 75m healed you, it wouldn't make sense.

That, and DeDeDe legitimately sucks in Brawl.
I disagree, but that's a different topic.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Konami's is Snake.
No it isn't. Konami's mascot isn't and never has been Snake. Ever.

Honestly, you're right about the SSE having a terrible storyline that failed to Sakurai's promise of it (in which he said there would be character development), but all of your reasons for why it sucks and your bias towards the Kirby series is really terrible and disgusting. I suggest you just leave before further embarrassment in front of others and maybe to the point it'll shame your family.
Those games actually weren't that bad. FF VII was revolutionary for its time. KH is a little too commercial, but it's bearable compared to other series. I didn't expect it to be awesome, but this definitely fails expectations.
No, I'm pretty sure they both suck and it's not because of their overratedness.

jwj442

Smash Journeyman
King Dedede does not suck, except as a B move. Both him and Metaknight were among the most wanted characters for a new Smash - I remember when Melee's characters were revealed, those were two of the biggest disappointments for a lot of people. I personally liked Ridley as a boss, especially the second fight. Him being playable would have been nice (I wanted him playable), but oh well - I got over that more than a month ago. Do you REALLY think Geno or Midna or Wart are more suitable/popular characters than Dedede and Metaknight?

Saying "Miyamoto should direct Smash 4" is really stupid. Miyamoto has almost no experience designing multiplayer games and as far as I know, very little involvement in previous Smash games. He would definitely not be a better choice than someone who has directed every game in the series. And if Sakurai hadn't directed Brawl we would have gotten Melee + online.

BTW, Smash has always borrowed from Kirby right from the beginning. Even the control scheme is really quite similar to Kirby Superstar. Or the all-star transition room in Melee, to name another example.

I liked SSE. I found the cutscenes very entertaining and I thought they did a good job showing many of the characters' personalities without any words (and there is some small degree of character development, such as with Lucas). I really don't care that the overall plot is thin and has a couple holes; I didn't expect much more.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
Ive thrown the trophy stand at him and nothing happened? Also thanks 4 the help guys, i have a better idea of whats going on now. thx

6footninja

Smash Ace
Well were talking about storyline, not unlocks. heh ;D

6footninja

Smash Ace
SSE never made much sense, but I dont think it needs too. Putting all these characters into one game and one story, while they all have their own background. Its just bound to seem goofy at times. But its fine, I wasn't beating it for the story, I wanted the characters. And I def. wasn't doing 450 1 hp matches.

Cheezball

Smash Ace
I almost lol'ed when Master Hand was being puppeteered (puppeted?) by Tabuu.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who got it though.
I got it. I am going to ruin it for you all though! You see, master hand, IS a hand, in which he can control puppets(Didn't he do that or something in SSB64?), and the hand got controlled like a puppet by Taboo. At least, I think you meant that?

Well, the story line goes like this: There were to little boys who loved ice cream, and then, one got turned into a monkey then hit by a bus, then... Oh I am not going into anymore detail to spoil it for you. Well... *sniffle* THE ICE CREAM MELTED!!! The boy was OK though, despite the loss of... 1$!!! *cries*

Razorsaw

Smash Apprentice
Methinks I smell Kirby fanboyishness...

I never called Sakurai ineffectual nor moronic. Just selfish and ignorant of the fact that his pet games aren't as important to Nintendo as he thinks they are (which according to Sakurai, is about equal to Mario/Zelda/Pokemon). And I don't like it because it doesn't make sense. If Kirby were the be all and end all of Nintendo, then I'd be fine with it. But it's not; thus I have a problem with how .

And I'm not arrogant; I'm correct. I love it how just because people decide that the things they don't like are being espoused by egocentric, illiterate imbeciles--very mature and open-minded on your part [sarcasm:/]. Besides, arrogance is by far better than ignorance--SSE is a glorified Kirby game, and anyone who tries to ignore facts and argue otherwise obviously doesn't have much appreciation for arbitrary representation of deserving series.

Go preach your close-minded gullibility to someone who actually cares.
I've only ever played Kirby Super Star and maybe 30 % of Nightmare in Dreamland.

... And I'd say that Dedede was the only one that was crucially important. The quest to retake the Halberd could perhaps be focused on Meta Knight, but... there's so much stuff going on in that with everybody I never really thought of it as HIS story.

And what about Samus getting her suit back? Diddy's attempt to rescue Donkey Kong? The whole deal with the two princesses? Everything involving R.O.B. Lucas's little arc? Even Ganondorf in particular got a bit of focus.

Ikural

Smash Journeyman
Ive thrown the trophy stand at him and nothing happened? Also thanks 4 the help guys, i have a better idea of whats going on now. thx
He'd need to be an inch from death, I'm assuming. Getting the trophy consists of first finding a trophy stand to use, and then lowering him low enough withought actually killing him.

They just want you to redo the fight a dozen times trying to get it.

Riolu

Smash Apprentice
These are just some of the things that made no sense to me in SSE.
1) Why does Sonic appear out of nowhere?
2) Why is R.O.B. the Ancient Minister
3) Why doesn't PT have pictures of his pokemon, instead of a Pokedex?
4) Why doesn't he just catch Charizard?
5) Couldn't DK have just pushed Diddy to the side giving him enough time to move out the way himself?

Other than that I really enjoyed SEE.

Top Bottom