• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
(Since everyone's recommending SE games, I feel inclined to plug The World Ends With You despite it not being on this list)

Also the music thing unfortunately gives me pause on most of Square's catalogue. I'd love to see Crono in the game among others (Neku pls), but I still barely even feel Cloud's presence with how little of it there is. Final Fantasy is technically there, but it sure doesn't feel like it. What's even the point if they're not allowed to bring all these great tunes with them? That's half the fun of getting into Smash!
honestly, it's hard to pick a great soundtrack when it comes to SQ because they all hit hard with how good they are it really is disappointing that cloud was repping FF7 instead of all of FF it's a shame he comes from a series with too many good tunes

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I love that this list is getting fans to try each other's favorite games and expand their horizons. Before this thread DQ was the only series I hadn't tried on the list and now that I've played a few it's amazing to see how it's influenced things I have played and enjoyed like GameCenter CX or RPG Maker 2.

It's nice that generally speaking most people understand the strength that each choice can bring to Smash.

Also, saw people talking Chrono Trigger earlier! Wonderful! That game is just so good. I'd adore Crono in Smash and it has hands down one of the best soundtracks of all time. Absolutely classic. Play it if you haven't. It just works on every single level.
This is the best part of this thread--and Smash in general.

D

Deleted member

I love that this list is getting fans to try each other's favorite games and expand their horizons. Before this thread DQ was the only series I hadn't tried on the list and now that I've played a few it's amazing to see how it's influenced things I have played and enjoyed like GameCenter CX or RPG Maker 2.

It's nice that generally speaking most people understand the strength that each choice can bring to Smash.

Also, saw people talking Chrono Trigger earlier! Wonderful! That game is just so good. I'd adore Crono in Smash and it has hands down one of the best soundtracks of all time. Absolutely classic. Play it if you haven't. It just works on every single level.
My interest in Dragon Quest is now reinvigorated thanks to these rumors. Stopping with DQ 9 in middle school feels like a disservice to some of the better games..

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
My interest in Dragon Quest is now reinvigorated thanks to these rumors. Stopping with DQ 9 in middle school feels like a disservice to some of the better games..
i'm gonna be real when i say i started there too and it's not the best place to start it gives you a false impression of the series it's neat that you can create your party but the cool thing about DQ is the party members that join you along the way

D

Deleted member

i'm gonna be real when i say i started there too and it's not the best place to start it gives you a false impression of the series it's neat that you can create your party but the cool thing about DQ is the party members that join you along the way
I started with 8 (which I did not beat because I didn't beat RPGs as a kid) and then moved onto 9, and I felt 9 was a massive downgrade. I was used to talkative party members and a main antagonist introduced somewhere around the third boss. Add I don't really like class systems in RPGs and yeah. It wasn't the best experience I could have had with the series. When I get time off, I'm going to start with DQ 4 or 5's DS remakes and move onto something like DQ 8 or 11

Last edited by a moderator:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
A lot of fans consider IX one of the weaker games in the series (I'm one of those), but the people who like it tend to really like it. I've seen people who only like IX, and were disappointed that XI wasn't similar.

IX was also the inspiration for StreetPass, for whatever that's worth.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

A lot of fans consider IX one of the weaker games in the series (I'm one of those), but the people who like it tend to really like it. I've seen people who only like IX, and were disappointed that XI wasn't similar.

It has it's own merits. DQ 9 had the sweet multiplayer feature that my friends and I dabbled in. If I used that more and had more stable relationships, I might have enjoyed DQ 9 as a multiplayer experience.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I started with 8 (which I did not beat because I didn't beat RPGs as a kid) and then moved onto 9, and I felt 9 was a massive downgrade. I was used to talkative party members and a main antagonist introduced somewhere around the third boss. Add I don't really like class systems in RPGs and yeah. It wasn't the best experience I could have had with the series. When I get time off, I'm going to start with DQ 4 or 5's DS remakes and move onto something like DQ 8 or 11
play 6 too it's the black sheep but if your gonna try the Zenithia trilogy you might as well finish it off too with 6

ZelDan

Smash Master
I actually bought DQIX at a yard sale for 5$ years ago. Never actually got around to playing it. (5$ well spent >_>)

D

Deleted member

I think it's a lot better enjoyed as a multiplayer experience, but I don't think I got that far in it.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I think it's a lot better enjoyed as a multiplayer experience, but I don't think I got that far in it.
as a game, it's really fun the story is just as engaging as other DQ games but the con is your alone which i think is the major downside of this game creating your party members is a big downer cuz now everyone soulless husks

D

Deleted member

(Since everyone's recommending SE games, I feel inclined to plug The World Ends With You despite it not being on this list)

Also the music thing unfortunately gives me pause on most of Square's catalogue. I'd love to see Crono in the game among others (Neku pls), but I still barely even feel Cloud's presence with how little of it there is. Final Fantasy is technically there, but it sure doesn't feel like it. What's even the point if they're not allowed to bring all these great tunes with them? That's half the fun of getting into Smash!
My theory is so they don't spoil anything for the remake. Doesn't excuse why they left out tracks from other FF games but I can partially understand the lack of tunes from VII. Do I like it? No, but SE's very protective of their stuff.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
What other games has Sakurai mentioned loving multiple times that are not represented in Smash?
One of Sakurai's articles mentioned that he liked NieR Automata's format in storytelling. He's even enjoyed NieR Gestalt and the Drakengard series.

There was also an interaction on Twitter between Sakurai and Yoko Taro where Taro congratulated Sakurai for Ultimate's launch.

Screenshot_20181208-030503_Twitter.jpg

It's a bit of a reach but I like these straws.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
One of Sakurai's articles mentioned that he liked NieR Automata's format in storytelling. He's even enjoyed NieR Gestalt and the Drakengard series.

There was also an interaction on Twitter between Sakurai and Yoko Taro where Taro congratulated Sakurai for Ultimate's launch.

at this point there are too many SQ characters that deserve to be in

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Joke: 2B for Smash
Woke: Nier for Smash

It'll never happen, but let me dream.

D

Deleted member

Thanks for responding! I asked specifically because I was wondering if Sakurai liking more games would lessen the effect of him liking a specific series.

However, it's nice knowing what's on his mind.

D

Deleted member

Can’t wait until “Sakurai said he liked this game, they’re in!” is the new hotness.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

I've been dreaming.

Like it's the most remote chance ever but...please.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
As wrong as it might be, Im still crossing my fingers for Sora.
Its not like Disney is impossible to work with. I mean if wreck it ralph could appear in Sonic All Star Racing, I think Sora wouldnt be to out of the ordinary.

Based on what some of you have discussed about the stats, I could see Sora having a similar feel. Plus using Cloud, Bowser,Ralph, and Sonic as a reference through other media, we know he would have to at least be shorter than Cloud and taller than Mario.

As far as the brave thing goes, Bureivu Fōmu is would be translated into Brave form, or the Valor Form Sora undergoes in Kh2.

Lol might be a stretch, but fingers crossed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Horizon Zero Dawn confirmed :4pacman:
They’re actually just making a complete new PlayStation All-Stars and adding it into smash as a mode. Trust me, I’m Vergeben.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Y'all should remember that Sakurai played and praised Xenoblade 2 back in early 2018, and remember how Rex's fate ended up for Smash Ultimate.

I wouldn't say Sakurai playing DQ is a favorable benefit at this point. It is worth raising a very small eyebrow on, but nothing more.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Can’t wait until “Sakurai said he liked this game, they’re in!” is the new hotness.
That's part of the reason he does not post on sites like twitter that much. He can't state his casual thoughts about a game anymore because people have that thought process when it comes to Smash. Kinda sad.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
DQ9 is the one I played the most. But that's because I looove customization, including with classes. Also one of the reasons FFTactics games are some of my favorites. It's so much fun figuring out what I'd like to do with my party, which jobs and skills and all that. But of course not everyone is like that, so I dont go preaching dq9 :p

It was also the first time I could create my entire party from scratch, so while it' takes a big hit in terms of the character story stuff, it's not the reason I play it :D

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I was about to say this exact thing.

Sakurai has played hundreds of games, so you can’t pin point if a character from a game played is getting unless something else pops up that make them more likely.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
DQ9 is the one I played the most. But that's because I looove customization, including with classes. Also one of the reasons FFTactics games are some of my favorites. It's so much fun figuring out what I'd like to do with my party, which jobs and skills and all that. But of course not everyone is like that, so I dont go preaching dq9 :p

It was also the first time I could create my entire party from scratch, so while it' takes a big hit in terms of the character story stuff, it's not the reason I play it :D
which I'm happy to see you enjoyed yourself with it I also love character customization but the world feels kinda alone and if you don't have friends that have a ds the game takes a major hit but if your really imaginative and create your own lore and whatnot then boom major plus I've grown to like the game better now I'm not as upset with it as i used to be

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Okay, I'm gonna try and play DQ one more time as the first one was not for me whatsoever. What DQ game should I play? mind you I can't play any of the ones for 3ds, IOS/Android (Unless there's alternative versions for the IOS/Android games) or Playstation.
III, V, VIII or XI. These are the best ones.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
The more I think about it, the more I think Erdrick really is the square character. I just don't think he's brave. My actual guess is that Brave is not the square character (maybe Wonder Red) and adult Erdrick will be the next character.

D

Deleted member

Haven't caught up in a long time. Is Dragon Quest representation being pretty much a lock for the Square Enix fighter slot the consensus in this thread?
As the Square Enix fighter, people seem content with the idea but I'm not sure how locked it really is. Nothing confirms it yet. It could just be another Grinch leak where everything is going for it but it somehow turned out wrong.

D

Deleted member

The more I think about it, the more I think Erdrick really is the square character. I just don't think he's brave. My actual guess is that Brave is not the square character (maybe Wonder Red) and adult Erdrick will be the next character.
I also think this is the case. If Tansut's comments are to be believed, there will be male & female alts for Erdrick (which the chibi design wouldn't have), and that they wouldn't be revealed too soon.
But, there's also the possibility I suppose. And there is a case to be made, to some extent.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I also think this is the case. If Tansut's comments are to be believed, there will be male & female alts for Erdrick (which the chibi design wouldn't have), and that they wouldn't be revealed too soon.
But, there's also the possibility I suppose. And there is a case to be made, to some extent.
I never considered a non square character seriously before because the only one that seemed to fit was Yuri, and I very much believe Lloyd would be our Tales rep. Not to mention he doesn't fit the stats But surprisingly, Wonder Red fits Brave like a glove. So I think he might be brave. IMO that scenario makes way more sense than crouching Erdrick, kid Erdrick, or the data not mattering.

D

Deleted member

Haven't caught up in a long time. Is Dragon Quest representation being pretty much a lock for the Square Enix fighter slot the consensus in this thread?
Pretty much that it seems to be likely that is one of the DLC due to a number of factors including some of the insiders comments. Not that we know if it's revealed soon.
I never considered a non square character seriously before because the only one that seemed to fit was Yuri, and I very much believe Lloyd would be our Tales rep. Not to mention he doesn't fit the stats But surprisingly, Wonder Red fits Brave like a glove. So I think he might be brave. IMO that scenario makes way more sense than crouching Erdrick, kid Erdrick, or the data not mattering.
I feel that if we go by clunkyness and unorthodox playstyle mentioned before, a member of the W101 would fit but I was also thinking of Arthur from Ghosts and Goblins the other day considering he is a projectile user that is weird in the air.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Is that really the case? We're talking about the same character portrayed in a different style. To say that we wouldn't get a stubby Femdrick is a bit of a leap IMO.

Otherwise, I agree. It seems kind of early for this character to be revealed (if they exist). If Tansut is to be believed, they're not very far along.

D

Deleted member

Is that really the case? We're talking about the same character portrayed in a different style. To say that we wouldn't get a stubby Femdrick is a bit of a leap IMO.

Otherwise, I agree. It seems kind of early for this character to be revealed (if they exist). If Tansut is to be believed, they're not very far along.
I don't think there was any art for a female Erdrick in the Famicom style was there? But maybe they could take some artistic liberty

D

Deleted member

I don't think there was any art for a female Erdrick in the Famicom style was there? But maybe they could take some artistic liberty
the design's aren't that different anyways so it's not like it would take a lot of time to make a Female version. The only difference is the face and hair.

Top Bottom