• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Splitting Melee Video input

Blac

Smash Rookie
So coming up soon, April 29th to be exact. I will be hosting a tournament at a moderately large venue. There are most likely going to be more people who cant see what is going on, on a small CRT. So we got permission to use their projector to mirror the gameplay so people in the back could see it. While trying to set it up we figured there was going to be a problem. I Need a way to make the wii melee input go through the CRT so the players can play on a smaller screen and the crowd can watch on a bigger projected screen. The projector however only has vga input (The Blue computer cable thing). So I need a way to mirror the CRT screen as theyre playing with little to no delay, so the crowd can be a part. Everything Ive looked up can record the match for playback after but not to do live. I dont want to livestream the event I simply want to mirror it on the projector. Is there a cord that connects to the wii Yellow cord or something to connect to the TV to put on the PC. I'd like to spend less than 50$ if possible. Thanks, Blac

tl;dr I need a cable that can mirror CRT without lagging the players. The projector is VGA only. so it has to connect to a PC.

Squeemos

Smash Rookie
Out there somewhere, you need to get female to male splitters (rca). Generally, it's female to 2 male, and that will have you plug the gamecube into the female port, and then have male run into the tv. Now I used to have a vga to rca connector, but there was a box (somewhat small, about the size of a phone) that could handle rca input and deal out vga laglessly. However, there is a question: are you using composite video or regular? (Hoping you know the difference here as it changes the setup just a bit)

Most of this stuff costs roughly nothing, as the splitters can be about $5 a cable, and the converter is about 20-25. Hope that helped.

Kadano

Magical Express
There are three ways to go about this.

1. Ghetto option: Use cheap composite cables and an RCA to VGA adapter that you connect from an unpowered splitter to the projector directly. This will only work if the projector supports composite video (CVBS) / 15 khz video over VGA. You'd have to look into the respective model's specs sheets to find out.
In general, this will have low video quality for both players and viewers, and there is the risk of the projector not supporting the CVBS signal, but on the upside the cost is low (3$ for the splitters and ~12$ for the adapter).

2. Cheaping out option: Use a USB capture card (~15$) to get the video signal on a computer, deinterlace the capture device video with the Yadif2x filter and use OBS preview monitor output for the VGA output. This will have minimally better player for the players (less or no brightness loss) and considerably better quality for the viewers (since the footage will be deinterlaced).

3. Premium option (this is what I strongly recommend if picture quality is of concern to you): Buy Wii VGA cables for 20$, an Extron RGB 164xi for 20-30$ and two RGBHV to VGA cables (should be available for ~5$ each used somewhere) to feed the 164xi output to the monitor and the projector. You'll also need a PC CRT monitor (you should be able to find one in good condition for free easily) and dedicated speakers.
This will have perfect or near-perfect picture quality for the competitors, and 100% perfect video quality for the viewers.

Squeemos

Smash Rookie
There are three ways to go about this.

1. Ghetto option: Use cheap composite cables and an RCA to VGA adapter that you connect from an unpowered splitter to the projector directly. This will only work if the projector supports composite video (CVBS) / 15 khz video over VGA. You'd have to look into the respective model's specs sheets to find out.
In general, this will have low video quality for both players and viewers, and there is the risk of the projector not supporting the CVBS signal, but on the upside the cost is low (3$ for the splitters and ~12$ for the adapter).

2. Cheaping out option: Use a USB capture card (~15$) to get the video signal on a computer, deinterlace the capture device video with the Yadif2x filter and use OBS preview monitor output for the VGA output. This will have minimally better player for the players (less or no brightness loss) and considerably better quality for the viewers (since the footage will be deinterlaced).

3. Premium option (this is what I strongly recommend if picture quality is of concern to you): Buy Wii VGA cables for 20$, an Extron RGB 164xi for 20-30$ and two RGBHV to VGA cables (should be available for ~5$ each used somewhere) to feed the 164xi output to the monitor and the projector. You'll also need a PC CRT monitor (you should be able to find one in good condition for free easily) and dedicated speakers.
This will have perfect or near-perfect picture quality for the competitors, and 100% perfect video quality for the viewers.
We used the last one at an event recently, the only downside was we didn't get a large enough CRT monitor and so when doubles happened, players had to lean really far in, so just be aware of that, and get a bigger monitor.

Squeemos

Smash Rookie
That would have been smarter, going to have to remember that. Would make it better for plater cams as well considering we cut off 1 whole person and about one half of a person.

Top Bottom