• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Splatoon's Inklings Get Smashified!

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

The amazing Smash related art project Smashified has created some incredibly cool Smash related art. With a goal of taking those characters that fans of games love and paying "tribute to these characters, regardless of those characters’ ties to Nintendo, their relevance in the modern gaming industry, or the feasibility of their inclusion in Smash Bros." they have created some impressive pictures. They've covered Klonoa, Shovel Knight, King K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, created the Rayman Leak and even covered Travis from Mother 4.

With the release of Splatoon it seems a perfect time for them to put out their next video, and surprisingly enough they Smashified Inklings! Watch the video below and see the process of taking Inklings and making them fit the art style of Smash 4.

If you are interested in the competitive side of Splatoon, want to learn more about the game, or just want to talk about the game, feel free to visit our sister site, Squidboards, an aspiring hub for all Inklings.

SmashCapps has been playing Splatoon since he got it at the midnight release and probably needs some sleep! To keep up with his antics in Splatoon and all things Smash follow him on Twitter.

SmashJC

Smash Journeyman
still waiting for Crash Bandicoot smashified :glare:, well, maybe next year, for his birthday :roll:

Last edited:

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
tfw no one is satisfied with the Inkling's moveset after it gets put into smash.

Last edited:

gyasim

Smash Cadet
NNID
gyasim
Can we get a character that doesn't already have smash-like renders? Such as Shantae or Isaac?

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Tbh this probably was one that didn't need much change from the original artwork, it looks like the regular game art.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Can we get a character that doesn't already have smash-like renders? Such as Shantae or Isaac?
Inkling is the only character that was covered that did have a Smash-like render. Even then, its renders didn't perfectly match Smash's style and lighting, so the Smashified version still feels fresh

All the others (Klonoa, Rayman, Shovel Knight, Banjo-Kazooie, K. Rool, and Travis) didn't have any. The whole purpose of the series is to give characters like those renders, so I'm sure we'll be seeing more.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Now look at what yo've done, Omni. The Splatoon Smash Ballot hype will skyrocket like an Inkling doing a Super Jump.

But whateves, these squid kids are shoo-ins whether they are SSB5 newcomers or DLC.

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
Competitive Splatoon already -_-. Feels like nowadays people slap competitive on everything just to make a game out to be what its not.

I liked the Smashified though

Last edited:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
They came out great! I wish the conversation in the video had been more entertaining to listen to, though.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Was this pre-planned to tie into the advertisement of Squidboards?

On the piece itself, it's my least favourite simply because it's redundant. It looks fine, but so would any of the other renders they already have. Of course they'd get their own new render if they got in, but I thought the point of Smashified was to convert characters from their art style to the Smash one. Smash 4's art style is basically just a colourful realism/surrealism hybrid, but so is Splatoon's so it really just looks like a new official render for Splatoon.

All of the previous Smashified renders take a character with a distinctly different art style to Smash (Shovel Knight and Rayman) and convert them to the Smash art style, or take ones with dated 3D renders (Banjo-Kazooie and K. Rool) and simply bring them up to date. Splatoon is a 2015 Wii U game with the same kind of technical detail and the same kind of art style as Smash 4, so this Smashified literally just looks like a new Splatoon render rather than being specifically made for Smash.

Visual comparison:

Last edited:

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
I somehow say was making Splatoon and Isaac.
I really win, yay!!

Now I want Isaac.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
I would rather Inkling's happening as DLC. There is not guarantee of Smash 5 and I adore these characters.

Chaozrush21

Smash Cadet
NNID
dotmae
3DS FC
3007-8540-3431
@ ChikoLad ChikoLad What? the lighting and shading is very different from Splatoon's. And even though Sm4sh artstyle isn't as realistic as Melee, it still has a more realistic artsyle than Splatoon's.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
@ ChikoLad ChikoLad What? the lighting and shading is very different from Splatoon's. And even though Sm4sh artstyle isn't as realistic as Melee, it still has a more realistic artsyle than Splatoon's.
Lighting and shading differences are not an art style thing in this case. Yeah the lighting and shading is slightly different in Omni's work compared to the official renders I just posted, but that's not a stylistic choice, more to do with the fact it's pretty much impossible to recreate lighting effects to a tee, especially when Omni's render is not made in a 3D modelling program, and so real-time lighting can't be added. Actual Smash 4 renders use real-time lighting too, though.

And nah, Smash 4's art style is not more realistic than Splatoon's:

They look like they could be from the same game.

Last edited:

isacomon

Smash Rookie
Those guys should work at the project m dev team working with models!
(I know this one's just a render but they made 3d models with Travis from mother 4 fan game)

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Thanks as always for your support, @ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill ! We really enjoyed making this one.

Just wanted to throw my two cents in regarding the choice to do a character who already has contemporary, detailed 3D renders:

We were well aware going into this that there wasn't going to be much interpretation to do with the character. We actually planned on doing the Inklings as far back as February when it was just me and Chris trying to plot out what character we could do. Back then, there were no 3D renders to be had—just the painted concept art.

When the 3D renders were released, it did cause us to question whether or not we should still do the Inkling, but give the volume of requests that we received, we decided to go through with it with Sean's help. At the very least, it would be a way to have Splatoon representation on the smashified website, since it's possible that the Mii outfits signify that Inkling won't ever be in Smash 4.

We also saw it as a personal challenge to try to capture the subtle differences in the way Smash characters and Splatoon characters are rendered in the official promotional art. I think people who think Smash Art and Splatoon Art are rendered in an identical fashion simply aren't looking that closely at the artwork. =P

So overall, I stand behind the choice to do Inklings, as it's something that we were very passionate about as artists, and when it comes down to it, passion is going to yield the best work.

Last edited:

PWN3

Smash Apprentice
On the piece itself, it's my least favourite simply because it's redundant. It looks fine, but so would any of the other renders they already have.
Unfortunately, I'd have to say I agree with this entirely. This render doesn't add anything that Splatoon's renders haven't already done, so it just feels redundant and borderline time wasted on solving a problem that's not there. It looks fantastic -- all of the Smashified stuff does -- but that doesn't give the piece any real value, because... Well, it's almost indistinguishable from Splatoon's style. The time that went into this could have easily gone into somebody like Ryu or Roy to build hype surrounding their leak, fan-favourites like Wolf, Wonder Red, Snake, Isaac, Ridley, or somebody completely out of left field. Honestly, I think any other character would have been a far better choice.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Lighting and shading differences are not an art style thing in this case. Yeah the lighting and shading is slightly different in Omni's work compared to the official renders I just posted, but that's not a stylistic choice, more to do with the fact it's pretty much impossible to recreate lighting effects to a tee, especially when Omni's render is not made in a 3D modelling program, and so real-time lighting can't be added. Actual Smash 4 renders use real-time lighting too, though.

And nah, Smash 4's art style is not more realistic than Splatoon's:

They look like they could be from the same game.
We're talking about artwork.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
What it boils down to in my opinion, the only characters that should be Smashified are the ones that don't have high quality artwork attention to them at all. So Banjo & Kazooie were the best choices so far going by that, and the Inklings are the worst.

Top Bottom