• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Splatoon Has Been Released

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
The day is finally here! Splatoon has been released and is now available for purchase. You can pick up the physical copy (and potentially acquire some cool swag) at your local retailer; If electronic copies are more your style, the game is available on the Nintendo eShop as well.

The game aims to be an instant classic for casual gamers and fans of the FPS genre alike! If you are interested in the competitive side of Splatoon, want to learn more about the game, or just want to talk about the game, feel free to visit our sister site, Squidboards, an aspiring hub for all Inklings.

What do you guys think of the game? Does it live up to the hype?? Leave your thoughts in the comments below!

Follow Michael on Twitter @AsuraHedo

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
Super hyped for Splatoon, in particular the competitive scene.
It's not Melee and all, but this game has tech too!

Last edited:

MetaKnight956

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2981-7717-3785
But nothing about amiibo Wave 4? I mean, I'd get this game if I had a Wii U, but Wave 4 is kind of a big deal.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
This game is really fun, I think. If this game becomes really popular (and I think it will), the Inkling just might have a strong chance to become a Smash DLC fighter.
But we'll see how things play out, this is just the first day (for the US, anyway).

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
I'm giving "competitive" Splatoon two years before it dies off.

Wait, is it even competitive? I know there's SquidBoards and all, but to me something just seems off about it. I can't put my finger on it, but it just feels strange.

Or perhaps, is SquidBoards just a place for casual discussion, a place for people of all ages to relax? This sounds a bit better than the above.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
>Splatoon is released.

>Doesn't even get it delivered on release day.

;_;

That game is still $60???
Like every new game ever right? lol.

Wait, is it even competitive? I know there's SquidBoards and all, but to me something just seems off about it. I can't put my finger on it, but it just feels strange.
I believe there was an interview and one of the lead devs said they want it to be competitive.
Something like that anyway.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Unfortunately, I'm not buying it for a while, because of the lack of quality local multiplayer. I feel like Nintendo really bombed that one.

Last edited:

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
Man I love giving my teamates tips and instructions using the voicechat... oh wait...

Prism

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jesset202
3DS FC
0576-5008-6643
I'll admit I still haven't tried the game, or seen it played by a friend firsthand, but I never had and still don't have much interest in it at all. Could be fun, I just can't be bothered to give it a chance right now.

D

Deleted member

Not particularly interested on this, but either way, it's good to see that it finally came out for those who wanted it.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
The game came out and GameStop didn't ship my own copy until the day before. I won't be expecting it until around Wednesday.

Speaking of which, they sended me an email with the download code for the Splatoon Mii Fighter outfit DLC.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
lol Squidboards. Maybe when I get Splatoon I'll join, but love the name.

Or perhaps, is SquidBoards just a place for casual discussion, a place for people of all ages to relax? This sounds a bit better than the above.
I kind of feel like Splatoon competitive is not going to survive. I agree that I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, but something about the game's concept just tells me that the game will quickly become stale in a competitive environment.

ZeroBlindDragon

Smash Apprentice
I wonder why SmashBoards has advertised Splatoon so much. Did Nintendo pay you to do this? This place is called *Smash*Boards for a reason. You'd never see any Splatoon-related content on /r/SmashBros.

Last edited:

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
So I was watching one of Vinesauce's past broadcasts and some guy asked Vinny if he thought Splatoon was going to become as big as SSBM. That's a little crazy to ask. It's also kind of interesting.

http://www.twitch.tv/vinesauce/v/5594296
Skip to 2:48:15 in ^that past broadcast. It's there to when Vinny responds to the question.

But intended to be as big as SSBM? I think that's really absurd.

EDIT: Fixed Grammar.

Last edited:

Soul.

I wonder why SmashBoards has advertised Splatoon so much. Did Nintendo pay you to do this? This place is called *Smash*Boards for a reason. You'd never see any Splatoon-related content on /r/SmashBros.
They have been posting news not related to Smash Bros. for quite a while; this is nothing new.

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
Honest question here:

Why is Splatoon good? It's very ugly, its concept is uninteresting, its memes are horribly forced, its gameplay is underwhelming, and there's the terrible local multiplayer. What do people like in it?

D

Deleted member

It's more of an advertisement to Squidboards. Nothing much, but non-Smash discussion has been a thing since the site became a reality.

Last edited by a moderator:

UMR | donmk

RIP PM
The whole "Splatoon hype" feels extremely forced to me, but maybe I'm just cynical. I hope that this is the last I see of this game on the front page though. I thought this was Smashboards, not advertise Nintendo's latest games-boards

D

Deleted member

The whole "Splatoon hype" feels extremely forced to me, but maybe I'm just cynical. I hope that this is the last I see of this game on the front page though. I thought this was Smashboards, not advertise Nintendo's latest games-boards
I agree x9000. But then again, it's just a Squidboards adverisement. Can't do anything about it, but I'm not against the idea, either.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Copypasta time:
LOL, here we go with the tin foil hat conspiracy theories again!

If you really think this place is dedicated to smash in its entirety, then you haven't been around much lol.

Honest question here:

Why is Splatoon good? It's very ugly, its concept is uninteresting, its memes are horribly forced, its gameplay is underwhelming, and there's the terrible local multiplayer. What do people like in it?
"Its very ugly" Elaborate please.

"Its concept is uninteresting" Ok, I can see that.

"Memes are horribly forced" Wut.

"Terrible local multiplayer".... Um dude, what did you expect from a game that uses the gamepad, but the console itself can't even connect two at a time? Like come one now.....

Last edited:

kinbobbobkin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Remybunny14
3DS FC
1822-1654-6056
From what I see, the game is alright. There's some issues on some maps that make people d/c, but it would probably fix sometime soon.

Hope the competitive scene grows soon also.

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
I got nothing against Splatoon, but is the Smashboards news page for Smash news or Nintendo news? :ohwell:
If it's for smash news, then why is this here?
If it's for Nintendo news, then why don't we see more about other games and developments?

Last edited:
Top Bottom