• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spectator Mode strategy guide

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Spectator Mode isn't just for watching other matches and witnessing the occasional advanced tactic. It is a great place to rack up on coins and stickers! Judging by the lack of topics in this area (zero ever, AFAIK), it seems to be quite underutilized. Therefore, this mini-guide is long overdue. Even if you have 10+ copies of every single sticker in the game like I do, you may want to give Spectator Mode a second look if you haven't.

First, let's break down the number of coins you can potentially earn. If you are spectating a duel or a Team Battle, the number of coins you invest get a 1.8 multiplier, rounded up to the nearest whole number. In other words, you stand to lose the number you bet, or gain 1.8 times your coins minus the original bet, making it a net 0.8 multiplier, or a potential gain of 80% of what you bet. For 3-player Basic Brawls, you get a 2.8 multiplier, rounded up to the nearest whole number. This makes a potential net gain of 1.8 times your initial bet or 180% of it. Finally for 4-player Basic Brawls, your investment gets a 3.8 multiplier, rounded up to the nearest whole number. Your net gain can be 2.8 times what you initially bet.

And just when you thought the math portion was done, you will occasionally see a "Bonus Chance" appear on the screen. I always recommend taking a chance on these, since you can now gain more than the expected coin multipliers. You might get a small, medium, or large sticker bundle, rare trophies, or even double or triple the coins. In theory, betting 100 coins on a 4-player Basic Brawl could end up tripling the 380 coins to 1140 coins. Subtracting the initial 100 coins, that's still a 1040 coin net gain!

"OK, that's all great, but how many coins should I bet?" This all boils down to how much time you really have. Technically speaking, any bet that is 4 coins or fewer will have the best payoffs, since 80%, 180%, and 280%, all round up to 100%, 200%, and 300%, respectively. In other words, if you bet 4 coins on a duel or Team Battle, you stand to either lose or gain exactly 4 coins. Likewise you could gain 8 or 12 with 3- and 4-player Basic Brawls. You can expect to break even over time with such small bets, and that's not even accounting for the Bonus Chance bets, so you can expect to gain in the long run. However, time is the factor holding most people from betting such low bets all the time, so it may not be practical to bet so low.

Also, never bet a multiple of 5 coins on a duel or Team Battle. It may not be immediately obvious, but when you compare potential winnings of a 5, 10, 15, etc. coin bet with one coin fewer, you'll find the winnings to be the same due to the way the multiplier rounds up. So even if you're thinking of going with the max of 100 coins, drop it to 99 coins. The only exception to this may be during a Bonus Chance if you think you may get double or triple the winnings.

If you are getting close to 9999 coins, pay close attention to your bets. It would be a waste to bet coins that bring your total over the top, so it helps if you can quickly do the math in your head on the fly as you are increasing or decreasing your bet. Also be mindful of potential double or triple winnings during Bonus Chances.

And when you do finally reach 9999 coins, there is obviously little point in making bets, unless there is a Bonus Chance coming up. In those cases I always bet a single coin due to the potential sticker winnings. And even when there aren't Bonus Chances and you lose bets, you can still get stickers for your efforts. Sometimes I get as many as 10 for a missed bet, but never during a Bonus Chance, though. Anyway with a max of 9999 coins, it is best to spend them offline either in the Coin Launcher or to use them for continues in Solo modes. Just don't park on 9999 coins for too long; otherwise you are wasting them!

Finally, here are a few miscellaneous tips: Bonus Chances never happen on your first time spectating. You could just watch or bet a single coin here and hope for a Bonus Chance to pop up for the 2nd match. Sometimes, you will even run into a few in a row. This might be your time to make those high bets. Also, anytime you lose your connection on the betting screen, you can lose everything you bet! If you suspect your connection is unstable, make your bet, move the cursor away from all players, then move it back when the countdown timer is under five. Better yet, if your connection is really unstable, don't make bets here at all! Also, don't always make bets based on your favorite or highest tiered characters. Even if the matchup looks lopsided, you may find a rather high number of victories with the low tiers. It really does reflect the better representation of low tiers vs. the high tiers that you would randomly run into yourself online. And if you watch really carefully, you might spectate your own match!

Dyclone

Smash Ace
This would be useful if neetedoh gave me spectator mode back. I really have more fun watching it.
Ill read your guide later, like right now

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Once we get 9999 coins ( I did this in about a week ) betting on some noobs that might just screw you over is pointless.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Some matches are bad, but so is staying on 9999

Once we get 9999 coins ( I did this in about a week ) betting on some noobs that might just screw you over is pointless.
I agree that some of the matches are garbage, especially when they turn out to be a taunt party. Even if I wasted 100 coins on a match, I'm still likely to get some stickers. If I get 10, then that's almost as good as I can get in Coin Launcher for 100 coins. I just hate parking on 9999 coins for very long, as I want to spend them on something, even if it's spent on lowering my number of continues used in All-Star Mode on Intense with each character. I still have some characters that used 5 continues, and I occasionally feel like fixing that, for instance. I have lost track of how many times I spent most of my coins in a single session of Coin Launcher, only to get them back quickly with online matches and other things.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
I notice that you rarely see TPs. Once, only once, did I ever see a good crasher vs tp match. The guy ***** with DK.

Too bad you can't save their replays.

DaBeast

Smash Ace
NNID
DaBessBeast
3DS FC
3566-1658-7713
Good stuff, wonn.

However, I have 9999 coins and every time i go crazy with them on coin launcher, i leave and i still have 9999 coins. What's the matter, doc?

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Getting coins may be easier than spending at times

Good stuff, wonn.

However, I have 9999 coins and every time i go crazy with them on coin launcher, i leave and i still have 9999 coins. What's the matter, doc?
You're probably getting coins quickly from playing online matches. The best thing to do is spend around 5000 in Coin Launcher. Then have a field day with high 99- and 100-coin bets in Spectator Mode. If you get too low on coins, just do what you normally do with online matches or whatever, and see how long it takes to get them back. You will have accumulated tons of stickers along the way by doing this.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
999 might be the max from Bonus Chance

I finally managed to get a triple coin bonus from correctly picking the winner of a 4P free-for-all with a high bet on the table. Instead of seeing the theoretical max of 1140 - 100 = 1040, the screen showed that I earned 999 coins after betting the initial 100 coins. The trouble is that I do not know if that was just a display glitch or if it really did max at 999 coins because I already had over 9000 coins, making it max out to 9999 coins anyway.

If anyone else ever manages to successfully bet 100 coins on a 4P FFA with a triple coin bonus while starting out with fewer than 9000 coins, I would be interested in knowing whether you gained 999 minus 100 or 1140 minus 100 coins. It's quite a rare feat.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
10201 error every time today

Every time I go to Spectator Mode, I am immediately disconnected with a 10201 error code. Is this happening to everyone today?

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Mine hasn't vanished in nearly a year

^

Do you have yours back now? I think Nintendo might have made a modification to the online options screen.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Impossible?

Yes, it's on the very initial screen online, below With Friends and With Anyone. Just out of curiosity, why is it impossible in your case? Is your online options menu also gone?

David Wonn

Smash Ace
10201 is back. Hope for others?

Spectator mode has broken once again with code 10201, forcing a quick disconnection every time I go to it. Perhaps Nintendo is fixing the missing options for those of you who don't have it?

Top Bottom