• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Special moves' customization: Falco, Wolf and Lucas endangered ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

There is something that I found and which worries me concerning the customization of the special moves: http://www.smashbros.com/us/howto/entry2.html

Do you think that we will have to say goodbye to Falco, Wolf and Lucas, and to see them reassigned as alternative skins to Fox and Ness, as we can probably exchange the special moves with those from the clones?

Personally, it would really bother me to see Falco, Wolf and Lucas to become reskins, as it is not an impossibility, seen that with this possibility of customization, clones seem to have less interests to stay included...

(And as for Toon Link, he still has the advantage to have a different body shape from original Link, while the Star Fox and Mother characters share more or less the same.)

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Well, now that you mention it.

Nah, Sakurai revealed TL so I think we're fine.

Last edited:

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
implying that Wolf and Falco are just Fox with different specials or that Lucas is just Ness with different specials...
Nothing more to say.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Lucas and Wolf don't have like ANY similar normal moves. And could probably have completely different variations of already different variations of specials.

Toon Link tells me Falco is OK. I just wish we could edit FSs, because I smell 3 Landmasters again.

D

Deleted member

Everyone who thinks Wolf is a clone has never pressed :GCA: to attack. Seeing as how it's just customizing specials, Wolf is fine. Falco is also fine going off of seniority and his general popularity in the Smash community. Some of his normals could also be changed again, making him even more different. PK Freeze is technically different from PK Flash. PK Flash does knockback, PK Freeze freezes. Similar in concept, but using Mario's fireball as an example, the custom moves only tweak moves slightly, making fireball either faster with less hitstun, or slower with less knockback and more hits. Only 2 characters that have completely new attacks with custom move options are Mii Fighters, and Palutena. Therefore, it is kind of silly to assume that Ness could get PK Freeze as a custom move. The same logic could maybe be applied to some of the properties of Lucas's PK Thunder and PK Fire, as well as PSI Magnet. I personally don't think customization affects anyone's chances, though to be fair, Lucas does have other things against him unfortunately, other than the vague wording on the Gematsu Leak, which would be right if he was in the game, and if he was not.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Wolf is basically safe. And since we have Toon Link, I doubt that this would be what causes Falco or Lucas to be axed.

Speculator

Smash Ace
Lucas and Wolf don't have like ANY similar normal moves. And could probably have completely different variations of already different variations of specials.
This. The only striking similarities they share with their parent characters are the specials anyway, so it doesn't make much difference if the specials are customizable or not. If Lucas or Wolf don't return, it won't have anything to do with custom movesets.

That said, dropping Lucas while keeping both Falco and Wolf is pretty much the biggest injustice possible when it comes to veterans and I seriously hope the SR leak is wrong on that part.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Personally, I would keep both Lucas and Wolf... and cut Falco. I've never liked that bird.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Lucas and Wolf at least have being a main protagonist/antagonist going for them and could easily be further diversified from Ness and Fox.

Falco can go. Falco is such a strange case of rep. He's not important in the slightest to his series and he only got in simply for being different enough of an animal to Fox. We can lose him.

Speculator

Smash Ace
Lucas and Wolf at least have being a main protagonist/antagonist going for them and could easily be further diversified from Ness and Fox.

Falco can go. Falco is such a strange case of rep. He's not important in the slightest to his series and he only got in simply for being different enough of an animal to Fox. We can lose him.
Falco is more important to Star Fox than Wolf, though. Wolf just shows up for boss fights - Falco is your wingman the whole way through most of the games. Just being a bad guy doesn't make him important, and he's not even the main series antagonist. If anything Wolf is more of a Meta Knight-style rival character, only with fewer appearances.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Falco is a sidekick. And not even an iconic one like Luigi or Tails or Diddy or any number of iconic sidekicks in video games. He really has no right to be in Smash. Hell, even Sakurai wanted Wolf more and he was suppose to be in Melee over Falco.

Wolf just simply represents Star Fox more. And you can diversify him more from Fox simply because of being on a different team and perhaps using totally different weaponry.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
The thing is, Falco's not much of a wingman. Him ditching Star Fox is one of his most consistent activities.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Falco is more important to Star Fox than Wolf, though. Wolf just shows up for boss fights - Falco is your wingman the whole way through most of the games. Just being a bad guy doesn't make him important, and he's not even the main series antagonist. If anything Wolf is more of a Meta Knight-style rival character, only with fewer appearances.
Falco would be more important if he had a bigger role. If Star Fox had co-op mode and Falco was the player two, like Luigi is to Mario, then he would have a much vital role.

The only thing Falco has for him is that he has been in every Smash game since Melee and has a strong fan following.

Falco may be the most popular of the Star Fox crew, besides Fox, but what gives him more leverage than Slippy or Peppy Hare?

What about Krystal, how does Falco fair against Krystal?

Falco may not go, but he doesn't provide much substance to his presence in Smash whereas Wolf is the main Antagonist/Rival character to the main character.

Speculator

Smash Ace
Falco is a sidekick. And not even an iconic one like Luigi or Tails or Diddy or any number of iconic sidekicks in video games. He really has no right to be in Smash. Hell, even Sakurai wanted Wolf more and he was suppose to be in Melee over Falco.

Wolf just simply represents Star Fox more. And you can diversify him more from Fox simply because of being on a different team and perhaps using totally different weaponry.
Sidekicks are more important than rivals. This idea that Smash Bros 'needs more villains' is largely artificial and to me seems to be more of a numbers game - people are more sympathetic to a character's inclusion if they're a bad guy because it's a +1 to number of villains, even if they usurp a character with a larger role. If we compare Star Fox to Kid Icarus, Wolf staying over Falco is like including Dark Pit over Palutena.

I also don't get how Wolf represents Star Fox more, considering his minimal screen time and less significant role in the series. Falco is there literally the entire time. Players are constantly exposed to him through dialog and other interactions. Wolf just shows up for a boss fight once or twice per game. Star Fox is not a massive series like Mario or Zelda, it really doesn't warrant a villain just for the sake of having a villain.

As far as relevancy to Smash goes, Falco certainly has more of a right than Wolf when you take into account his veteran status and role in the Subspace Emissary, of which Wolf had none. There are also no restrictions on diversifying Falco further from Fox just because they happen to be on the same team. I could just as easily claim he's even more open to diversification just because Fox and Wolf are both mammals.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Sidekicks are more important than rivals. This idea that Smash Bros 'needs more villains' is largely artificial and to me seems to be more of a numbers game - people are more sympathetic to a character's inclusion if they're a bad guy because it's a +1 to number of villains, even if they usurp a character with a larger role. If we compare Star Fox to Kid Icarus, Wolf staying over Falco is like including Dark Pit over Palutena.

I also don't get how Wolf represents Star Fox more, considering his minimal screen time and less significant role in the series. Falco is there literally the entire time. Players are constantly exposed to him through dialog and other interactions. Wolf just shows up for a boss fight once or twice per game. Star Fox is not a massive series like Mario or Zelda, it really doesn't warrant a villain just for the sake of having a villain.

As far as relevancy to Smash goes, Falco certainly has more of a right than Wolf when you take into account his veteran status and role in the Subspace Emissary, of which Wolf had none. There are also no restrictions on diversifying Falco further from Fox just because they happen to be on the same team. I could just as easily claim he's even more open to diversification just because Fox and Wolf are both mammals.
Subspace Emissary is no longer continued, so all of Falco's importance in that is gone.

Wolf represents Star Fox more because he is a constant thorn in Fox's side, like Ridley is to Samus.

What does Falco bring besides being in past Smash games?

Wolf's moveset is more different to Fox than Falco is. Wolf is to Fox like Luigi is to Mario, whereas Falco is to Fox as Dr. Mario is to Mario.

In response to bold: Except that Falco has never had that big of a role in the Star Fox game until the end of Star Fox Adventures.

Falco has only existed as another one of Fox's crew that he has to babysit.

Last edited:

Speculator

Smash Ace
Subspace Emissary is no longer continued, so all of Falco's importance in that is gone.
That doesn't make a ton of sense considering it's SSB's only real story mode so far. There are also SSE enemies appearing in Smash Run so it doesn't suddenly become totally irrelevant.

Wolf represents Star Fox more because he is a constant thorn in Fox's side, like Ridley is to Samus.
How is that 'representing Star Fox'? Being a villain is not a reason for a character to take priority. I'd argue Falco better represents the co-pilots element of Star Fox, which is much more important to the series than a pesky rival showing up for the occasional boss fight. Being part of a team is the nature of Star Fox gameplay.

What does Falco bring besides being in past Smash games?
Frankly I'd argue that neither Falco or Wolf bring anything significant and Star Fox doesn't warrant more than a single playable character, but that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about which would stay should one of them leave.

Wolf's moveset is more different to Fox than Falco is. Wolf is to Fox like Luigi is to Mario, whereas Falco is to Fox as Dr. Mario is to Mario.
This isn't Melee. Falco was diversified from Fox in Brawl and given his own animations and normal attacks. Comparing his Brawl incarnation to Dr. Mario is a vast exaggeration. (Comparing Wolf to Luigi is also unfair, as Luigi only shares his specials with one other character whereas Wolf shares his with two)

You also seem to be implying they can't change characters between games, which obviously isn't true. With Wolf out of the picture the developers are free to diversify Falco even more. We could end up with two strikingly different Star Fox characters instead of three variations on the same thing. There's no reason the second character needs to be Wolf just because he happened to be more different in Brawl.

In response to bold: Except that Falco has never had that big of a role in the Star Fox game until the end of Star Fox Adventures.

Falco has only existed as another one of Fox's crew that he has to babysit.
If you think Falco's cameo at the end of Adventures is his largest role, then I think you're misinterpreting what a 'role' is. A role isn't just a character's tie to a specific story event. Picking up the ring in Uprising doesn't make Magnus an important character, for example. Falco's role is that he's Fox's wingman and because of that, he's a consistent presence throughout most of the games. That's what makes him important.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
That doesn't make a ton of sense considering it's SSB's only real story mode so far. There are also SSE enemies appearing in Smash Run so it doesn't suddenly become totally irrelevant.
But it would hold more significance if the SSE was still around. Since it is not, Falco's purpose has diminished.

How is that 'representing Star Fox'? Being a villain is not a reason for a character to take priority. I'd argue Falco better represents the co-pilots element of Star Fox, which is much more important to the series than a pesky rival showing up for the occasional boss fight. Being part of a team is the nature of Star Fox gameplay.
A villain puts a hero through a test and challenges him at all times. Constantly being a pain and always there to ruin his day. Falco was just there, if you did not have to baby sit him.

Frankly I'd argue that neither Falco or Wolf bring anything significant and Star Fox doesn't warrant more than a single playable character, but that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about which would stay should one of them leave.
Doesn't change the fact that Wolf is more diverse to Fox than Falco.

This isn't Melee. Falco was diversified from Fox in Brawl and given his own animations and normal attacks. Comparing his Brawl incarnation to Dr. Mario is a vast exaggeration. (Comparing Wolf to Luigi is also unfair, as Luigi only shares his specials with one other character whereas Wolf shares his with two)
So what if Wolf shares his two specials with Fox instead of one? That is more different than Falco, who is basically a carbon copy. Falco has been better implemented, but is still too similar to Fox without being considered different.

You also seem to be implying they can't change characters between games, which obviously isn't true. With Wolf out of the picture the developers are free to diversify Falco even more. We could end up with two strikingly different Star Fox characters instead of three variations on the same thing. There's no reason the second character needs to be Wolf just because he happened to be more different in Brawl.
There is also no reason to keep Falco since his blaster and reflector could be given to Fox. With Falco out of the picture, the developers can spend more time fine tuning Wolf's original aspects and make him more viable to play as; whereas, if they chose Falco, they would be required to do more work.

The only rep we need besides the ones we have now that can add diversity is Krystal.

If you think Falco's cameo at the end of Adventures is his largest role, then I think you're misinterpreting what a 'role' is. A role isn't just a character's tie to a specific story event. Picking up the ring in Uprising doesn't make Magnus an important character, for example. Falco's role is that he's Fox's wingman and because of that, he's a consistent presence throughout most of the games. That's what makes him important.
But you related him to Dark Pit whose role was bigger than Magnus. Magnus did not do that much, but he did help drag along the plot.

Replacing Falco with Peppy Hare would not have made a difference besides the second playable Star Fox character being a rabbit.

If Falco was the second player's character then his role would be more important, he was just another character to babysit in the game, he could have been easily replaced with Peppy Hare.

Speculator

Smash Ace
But it would hold more significance if the SSE was still around. Since it is not, Falco's purpose has diminished.
My point was that Falco held a bigger role in past SSB games than Wolf, including his role in the SSE. I'm outlining that Falco is more significant to the Smash Bros series as well as to Star Fox. The series with the most influence on SSB is SSB itself.

A villain puts a hero through a test and challenges him at all times. Constantly being a pain and always there to ruin his day. Falco was just there, if you did not have to baby sit him.
"Constantly" and "always" are not words I'd use to describe Wolf. He shows up very occasionally for a boss fight. Again, you're confusing an action related to a story event with a 'role'. Falco is a persistent presence throught much of the Star Fox series. In Star Fox you are part of a team. You're constantly supported by your allies. That's a much more important aspect of the series than Wolf's dogfight once or twice per game, and that's why Falco better represents the Star Fox series.

Doesn't change the fact that Wolf is more diverse to Fox than Falco.
That has absolutely nothing to do with the point I was addressing.

So what if Wolf shares his two specials with Fox instead of one?
If you meant to say "shares his specials with two characters instead of one" - it means it's unfair to compare him to Luigi. Luigi only shares his specials with one other character which makes him less redundant. Wolf's special abilities can also be performed not just by Fox but by Falco as well. Everything he brings to SSB was already being provided by two other characters.

That is more different than Falco, who is basically a carbon copy. Falco has been better implemented, but is still too similar to Fox without being considered different.
Again, this isn't Melee. In Brawl, Falco is for the most part his own character. Yes, Wolf feels more different to play, but Falco is hardly a carbon copy like he was in Melee. I'll reiterate - I don't think either of them bring anything special to the game, but Wolf feeling slightly different to play isn't merit to keep him over Falco because things can be changed between games.

There is also no reason to keep Falco since his blaster and reflector could be given to Fox.
No they couldn't (and haven't). Fox's no-knockback blaster and stationary reflector are staples of his depiction in the SSB games.

With Falco out of the picture, the developers can spend more time fine tuning Wolf's original aspects and make him more viable to play as; whereas, if they chose Falco, they would be required to do more work.
They are making a new game, not adding to the old one. Wolf isn't magically less work because he was more different in Brawl. This isn't Brawl. the characters are recreated from the ground up and balanced individually within the new game environment. Making changes to a character along the way is the same amount of work, regardless of who it is.

Saying "yeah well they could change Wolf and get rid of Falco" is exactly my point - since neither bring anything particularly unique to the game, Wolf is dropped on the basis of being a less significant character (to both series).

The only rep we need besides the ones we have now that can add diversity is Krystal.
Star Fox doesn't need any more reps. It arguably has too many, which is why we're discussing what we're discussing. Krystal might be a more interesting character if she were to replace both Falco and Wolf, but that's not going to happen.

But you related him to Dark Pit whose role was bigger than Magnus. Magnus did not do that much, but he did help drag along the plot.
Dark Pit's role was smaller than Palutena's, which is the point I was making at the time. Magnus was an example to outline how a character can do something important to the story without having a large role in the game.

Replacing Falco with Peppy Hare would not have made a difference besides the second playable Star Fox character being a rabbit.
Granted, but things didn't happen that way. Making a hypothetical un-do of Falco's inclusion in Melee doesn't get us anywhere; he was included in Melee and stayed around for Brawl, and that makes him an important part of Star Fox representation in Smash.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
My point was that Falco held a bigger role in past SSB games than Wolf, including his role in the SSE. I'm outlining that Falco is more significant to the Smash Bros series as well as to Star Fox. The series with the most influence on SSB is SSB itself.
Though it has been cancelled, meaning that it has become moot pretty much.

"Constantly" and "always" are not words I'd use to describe Wolf. He shows up very occasionally for a boss fight. Again, you're confusing an action related to a story event with a 'role'. Falco is a persistent presence throught much of the Star Fox series. In Star Fox you are part of a team. You're constantly supported by your allies. That's a much more important aspect of the series than Wolf's dogfight once or twice per game, and that's why Falco better represents the Star Fox series.
Wolf killed Fox's father and proves to be the constant obstacle against Fox. Always proving Fox there are obstacles to over come. He pushes Fox to the limit. Whereas Falco is just there. Actually, Peppy Hare is more important than Falco in that he taught/mentored Fox and fought alongside his father.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the point I was addressing.
I was describing if someone is to get cut that Falco would be the one, since he is not as diverse to Fox as is Wolf. But if you want both characters scrapped we can get Krystal.

If you meant to say "shares his specials with two characters instead of one" - it means it's unfair to compare him to Luigi. Luigi only shares his specials with one other character which makes him less redundant. Wolf's special abilities can also be performed not just by Fox but by Falco as well. Everything he brings to SSB was already being provided by two other characters.
But he does them differently. His Up B acts differently than Fox's, as well as his Side B. Falco's only saving grace is the way he uses his Reflector. Luigi is fair to compare to Wolf, because both characters play significantly different than their man series counter part. Falco is a basic carbon copy of Fox.

Again, this isn't Melee. In Brawl, Falco is for the most part his own character. Yes, Wolf feels more different to play, but Falco is hardly a carbon copy like he was in Melee. I'll reiterate - I don't think either of them bring anything special to the game, but Wolf feeling slightly different to play isn't merit to keep him over Falco because things can be changed between games.
Both characters only bring stuff to their fans, but both have different roles in their games. Things can be changed between games, but working on Wolf would require significantly less work.

No they couldn't (and haven't). Fox's no-knockback blaster and stationary reflector are staples of his depiction in the SSB games.
Fox's blaster was given to Falco after Super Smash Brothers 64.

They are making a new game, not adding to the old one. Wolf isn't magically less work because he was more different in Brawl. This isn't Brawl. the characters are recreated from the ground up and balanced individually within the new game environment. Making changes to a character along the way is the same amount of work, regardless of who it is.
They are making a new game, but they are borrowing stuff that works from the old one. Wolf has his moveset being more different than Fox, the fact that this isn't Bawl does not make a difference. The developers are basing old characters on their old ones and making them better. Falco would require more work though to make him different. It is like trying to make Dr. Mario more different to Mario.

Saying "yeah well they could change Wolf and get rid of Falco" is exactly my point - since neither bring anything particularly unique to the game, Wolf is dropped on the basis of being a less significant character (to both series).
Same is said to Falco. He is one of the only members of Fox's crew that is not annoying (Slippy) or old (Peppy Hare); actually, why don't they just add Bill? He lead a resistance and needed help pushing back Andross's men. If Wolf is dropped than Falco should be as well. His significance is just the fact that he has been in past Smash games, but brings nothing new to the table.

Star Fox doesn't need any more reps. It arguably has too many, which is why we're discussing what we're discussing. Krystal might be a more interesting character if she were to replace both Falco and Wolf, but that's not going to happen.
You can't say that. Falco and Wolf are not set in stone in their presence. If either Falco or Wolf were not added to Melee/Brawl would people still care as much? Krystal would bring far more relevance to the Star Fox Universe than either of the Star Fox duo. She would represent the Star Fox Adventure Series.

Dark Pit's role was smaller than Palutena's, which is the point I was making at the time. Magnus was an example to outline how a character can do something important to the story without having a large role in the game.
But you said that Magnus' role in the game was not as big. Comparing him to Dark Pit is just like comparing Falco to Wolf, except Magnus has done more.

Granted, but things didn't happen that way. Making a hypothetical un-do of Falco's inclusion in Melee doesn't get us anywhere; he was included in Melee and stayed around for Brawl, and that makes him an important part of Star Fox representation in Smash.
Same thing can be said for Wolf, since he is the only playable villain from the Star Fox series and is more diverse.

That is my point though, would people care as much if Falco was not added? This is not on the levels of Mewtwo, this is just the sidekick that you have to babysit.

There is no real reason to keep Falco, except for his inclusion in past Smash games.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Why do people bring up Toon Link? His difference doesn't come from moves but body size + speed. Lucas can be dropped with Ness inheriting some of his normal attacks and his specials being custom moves. Though, I don't think Lucas shouldn't be cut just so Ness can take his stuff. Cuts should only be for time constraints.

Wolf vs Falco. Could a Brawl player tell me the difference between Fox and Wolf? I don't mean moves, I know they're all different. What in their playstyles separates Fox and Wolf? I know Falco is more campy then either, but I'm fuzzy on those two's differences.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Why do people bring up Toon Link? His difference doesn't come from moves but body size + speed. Lucas can be dropped with Ness inheriting some of his normal attacks and his specials being custom moves. Though, I don't think Lucas shouldn't be cut just so Ness can take his stuff. Cuts should only be for time constraints.

Wolf vs Falco. Could a Brawl player tell me the difference between Fox and Wolf? I don't mean moves, I know they're all different. What in their playstyles separates Fox and Wolf? I know Falco is more campy then either, but I'm fuzzy on those two's differences.
Wolf is a character whose moves have some good priority and can stun, though he is slow. He is like Fox, but has good priority and Stuns, having moves that cover gaps between him and his opponents.

Wolf also has very quick jab attacks that can lead up to some satisfying aerial combos.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Wolf killed Fox's father
Ermm... is this true? I don't remember Wolf having much to do with it (Pigma, for sure). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Not sure why so many people want either Wolf or Falco to be cut. Both are popular and have importance to the series. To those who don't think it deserves three reps, don't forget that a new game is in the works. If it goes well, we'd probably be talking about how it deserves a third rep next time around.
Falco and Wolf could admittedly be made more unique, but this is easily possible for both characters.
I'd prefer Falco to have priority for many of the reasons already pointed out by Speculator, but I hope both stay.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Ermm... is this true? I don't remember Wolf having much to do with it (Pigma, for sure). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Not sure why so many people want either Wolf or Falco to be cut. Both are popular and have importance to the series. To those who don't think it deserves three reps, don't forget that a new game is in the works. If it goes well, we'd probably be talking about how it deserves a third rep next time around.
Falco and Wolf could admittedly be made more unique, but this is easily possible for both characters.
I'd prefer Falco to have priority for many of the reasons already pointed out by Speculator, but I hope both stay.
I don't want either cut, but I don't like people bashing on Wolf.

It is more of, if one had to go who should it be?

I say Wolf should stay since he is more diverse and varies drastically in playstyle versus Fox.

Then you got people saying there needs to be room made for Krystal.

Actually, I think I was wrong about Wolf murdering Fox's father.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The argument went for quite long I see. Well, this isn't supposed to Falco vs. Wolf, so don't drift too much away from the main subject.

In any case, I have a hard time seeing either Falco or Wolf getting cut. Being based on Fox, allows them to be developed in comparatively less time, and with Star Fox Wii U in development, it doesn't make sense from a promotional standpoint to cut a Star Fox character.

Lucas, I still think he has a chance to make it in. The leak didn't call him a definite cut, for one.

More importantly, Falco, Wolf and Lucas's normal attacks are vastly different from the characters they're based on. So, it's a rather poor choice to cut them because of customization. Considering Sakurai's stance on cuts, I believe they won't be cut for customization at the very least.

Last edited:

Speculator

Smash Ace
Though it has been cancelled, meaning that it has become moot pretty much.
No it hasn't. Brawl doesn't disappear when they start work on a new game. It and the Subspace Emissary still exist and still have a large influence on future installments, just like any game in any series.

Wolf killed Fox's father and proves to be the constant obstacle against Fox. Always proving Fox there are obstacles to over come. He pushes Fox to the limit. Whereas Falco is just there. Actually, Peppy Hare is more important than Falco in that he taught/mentored Fox and fought alongside his father.
Please actually address my points instead of just ignoring what I said and repeating yourself. I'm not going to go through the difference between a story event and a character's role for the third time, but it is worth pointing out that Fox's father was killed by Andross.

I was describing if someone is to get cut that Falco would be the one, since he is not as diverse to Fox as is Wolf. But if you want both characters scrapped we can get Krystal.
I don't want either of them scrapped, I'm arguing that Falco takes priority over Wolf taking into account his role in Star Fox and his status as a character in past Smash Bros games.

But he does them differently. His Up B acts differently than Fox's, as well as his Side B. Falco's only saving grace is the way he uses his Reflector. Luigi is fair to compare to Wolf, because both characters play significantly different than their man series counter part. Falco is a basic carbon copy of Fox.
This betrays a pretty poor understanding of Falco as a character, and also isn't relevant to the point I was making. In this instance it doesn't matter how different Wolf is from Fox. Wolf is uniquely redundant (in a way that Luigi isn't) because he is a modifed version of a character that already had a modified clone. Wolf and Falco are both different from Fox, but neither of them bring anything important or unique to the game. Their special attacks are all the same thing with different modifiers. Their normal attacks are what set them apart, but the core issue is that there's three of them.

Both characters only bring stuff to their fans, but both have different roles in their games. Things can be changed between games, but working on Wolf would require significantly less work.

They are making a new game, but they are borrowing stuff that works from the old one. Wolf has his moveset being more different than Fox, the fact that this isn't Bawl does not make a difference. The developers are basing old characters on their old ones and making them better. Falco would require more work though to make him different. It is like trying to make Dr. Mario more different to Mario.
The returning characters are based on their old incarnations, but ultimately rebuilt from the ground-up to work within the new game environment. SSB4's physics and nuances are going to feel as different from Brawl as Brawl's do from Melee. It's not a case of just porting characters over and tweaking them a little. All characters require changes to the way they behave in the game, even the ones that on the surface would appear to be very similar to their past appearances (like Toon Link). Falco is going to feel different anyway just due to the nature of the new game.

Fox's blaster was given to Falco after Super Smash Brothers 64.
And for the past two SSB games, as the only ranged attack with no knockback, Fox's blaster has been one of his most notable features. The way the blaster functions is probably the first thing new players notice about Fox.

Same is said to Falco. He is one of the only members of Fox's crew that is not annoying (Slippy) or old (Peppy Hare); actually, why don't they just add Bill? He lead a resistance and needed help pushing back Andross's men. If Wolf is dropped than Falco should be as well. His significance is just the fact that he has been in past Smash games, but brings nothing new to the table.
I've already addressed this on a number of occasions, simply doing something important does not equate to a large role in the series. Bill appears in a couple of missions in 64 and Command. Falco appears in every single Star Fox game, and his screen time through three of those is almost 100%. His role is enormous, even if that role is as a supporting protagonist.

You can't say that. Falco and Wolf are not set in stone in their presence. If either Falco or Wolf were not added to Melee/Brawl would people still care as much? Krystal would bring far more relevance to the Star Fox Universe than either of the Star Fox duo. She would represent the Star Fox Adventure Series
SFA isn't a series, it's closer to a spinoff than anything. Krystal only really comes to life as part of the Star Fox team in Star Fox Assault. Falco has been there since the start, so she doesn't have much in the way of significance over him.

Either way, this is largely speculation and we're not really here to talk about Krystal. I'm confident that if they plan to again have three Star Fox reps in SSB4, they'll prioritize bringing back Falco and Wolf.

That is my point though, would people care as much if Falco was not added? This is not on the levels of Mewtwo, this is just the sidekick that you have to babysit.

There is no real reason to keep Falco, except for his inclusion in past Smash games.
Which is more than enough reason on its own, but it's his persistent presence through the Star Fox games that make him a more familiar face of the franchise. And yes, of course people would care if Falco didn't make it. I think considering his following from both Melee and Brawl, his removal would cause much more of an uproar than Wolf just becoming a one-off Brawl fighter.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
No it hasn't. Brawl doesn't disappear when they start work on a new game. It and the Subspace Emissary still exist and still have a large influence on future installments, just like any game in any series.
So the Subspace Emissary just happened and no longer matters when it comes to future Smash Bros installments.

Please actually address my points instead of just ignoring what I said and repeating yourself. I'm not going to go through the difference between a story event and a character's role for the third time, but it is worth pointing out that Fox's father was killed by Andross.
Actually I did, I did get what point you are trying to make by saying I am "ignoring" your statements. You brought up that Falco's role as a wingman is more important than he lack of role in the Franchises existence. That is the point I have been making, but you seem to want to shove it under a bus.

I don't want either of them scrapped, I'm arguing that Falco takes priority over Wolf taking into account his role in Star Fox and his status as a character in past Smash Bros games.
And that is all Falco has going for him, the reasons why if Falco was replaced by somebody else for the secondary Star Fox spot in Melee, that he would not have been more recommended. Wolf is the obstacle that Fox has to overcome. Falco seriously has nothing besides being in past Smash Games.

This betrays a pretty poor understanding of Falco as a character, and also isn't relevant to the point I was making. In this instance it doesn't matter how different Wolf is from Fox. Wolf is uniquely redundant (in a way that Luigi isn't) because he is a modifed version of a character that already had a modified clone. Wolf and Falco are both different from Fox, but neither of them bring anything important or unique to the game. Their special attacks are all the same thing with different modifiers. Their normal attacks are what set them apart, but the core issue is that there's three of them.
Just because Falco came first does not give him more reason to stay when Wolf is more different. Falco is just as viable as Dr. Mario. So tell me, how is Wolf's Up B so similar to Fox's that it does not count as different? Falco only came first and plays somewhat differently, the same cannot be said for Wolf. The only reason people cannot see Falco going is because he has been in past iterations of Smash.

The returning characters are based on their old incarnations, but ultimately rebuilt from the ground-up to work within the new game environment. SSB4's physics and nuances are going to feel as different from Brawl as Brawl's do from Melee. It's not a case of just porting characters over and tweaking them a little. All characters require changes to the way they behave in the game, even the ones that on the surface would appear to be very similar to their past appearances (like Toon Link). Falco is going to feel different anyway just due to the nature of the new game.
And so is Wolf going to feel different, but Falco would still require a massive overhaul to feel as diverse to Fox as Wolf is. Which is the reason why Falco would take much more work and time to make him more different than Fox. The whole point is that, the developers already have less work to deal with when it comes to Wolf and adding more to him.

And for the past two SSB games, as the only ranged attack with no knockback, Fox's blaster has been one of his most notable features. The way the blaster functions is probably the first thing new players notice about Fox.
Yes, Fox's blaster was scrapped for Falco. Does it really add to Fox's tricky or deceptive nature?

I've already addressed this on a number of occasions, simply doing something important does not equate to a large role in the series. Bill appears in a couple of missions in 64 and Command. Falco appears in every single Star Fox game, and his screen time through three of those is almost 100%. His role is enormous, even if that role is as a supporting protagonist.
Response to bold, that is complete and utterly false. This is where your point falls completely flat. Palutena was there to help Pit throughout his game, whether or not it was real help is its own discussion. Your point that makes Falco important does not give him any leverage, it does not make him any more important than Slippy or Peppy Hare since they are also considered Wingman.

SFA isn't a series, it's closer to a spinoff than anything. Krystal only really comes to life as part of the Star Fox team in Star Fox Assault. Falco has been there since the start, so she doesn't have much in the way of significance over him.
Star Fox Adventures is a part of the series, it happened and is canon since Krystal sticks with the Star Fox team into later iterations.
She played a major role in Star Fox Adventures and has stuck every since (except for the 64 3DS remake). She drove the plot and was playable. She is cliche in that she is Fox's love interest, but she has done more than Falco has in terms of Plot and significance.

Either way, this is largely speculation and we're not really here to talk about Krystal. I'm confident that if they plan to again have three Star Fox reps in SSB4, they'll prioritize bringing back Falco and Wolf.
My whole point was to tell you why Wolf should be included, my main reason is not to attack Falco, but to support Wolf.

Which is more than enough reason on its own, but it's his persistent presence through the Star Fox games that make him a more familiar face of the franchise. And yes, of course people would care if Falco didn't make it. I think considering his following from both Melee and Brawl, his removal would cause much more of an uproar than Wolf just becoming a one-off Brawl fighter.
Falco has been around more than Wolf, but Wolf has also been given enough notice to get his own backing. Falco has been in most Star Fox games, but does that warrant a more diverse role, when he is not in fact playable? Hey, Slippy and Peppy Hare have been there since the beginning, so why not add them? Cutting Wolf would cause some uproars, since he has his own diverse moveset and represents the special antagonist part of the Star Fox series. How many people clamor that Smash needs more characters that bring more to Smash? Falco does not do that for most people. Ask yourself this, when it comes down to it, would people rather have more diverse characters or more of the same?

Makaronileo

Smash Journeyman
I would prefer: cut wolf, give his moveset to falco.
Falcos old moveset should be given to customFox.
Lucas should be cut and his moveset given CustomNess.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I would prefer: cut wolf, give his moveset to falco.
Falcos old moveset should be given to customFox.
Lucas should be cut and his moveset given CustomNess.
Why give Falco Wolf's moveset? Falco is trained the same way that Fox is, he does not fight aggressively as Wolf does or uses the same techinques that Wolf does.

If anybody should leave it should be Falco. Keep Lucas and Wolf.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
It is not about that. If someone from Star Fox had to go who would it be? That is what we were getting at.
Obviously Wolf. Period. Falco is going anywhere, Sheik had all reasons to be cut and was not, then all Melee veterans in Brawl are in.

Buuuut I prefer the Canis lupus. Wolf is my second main and I don't want to lose another one. Also, Falco is my brother's main, then I'll be really upset if he's gone. So, I need both.

And another point, I really doubt Wolf is out. New Starfox, iconic villain, unique moveset... The only cuts I see are Lucas (I'm really blue, they killed one of the best nintendo series, I NEED Mother 3 in english and Mother 1 remake, I NEED) :(, Snake, Ivysaur (nooooo) :hulk: and Squirtle. But I have no worries, DLC at this point is a thing.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Obviously Wolf. Period. Falco is going anywhere, Sheik had all reasons to be cut and was not, then all Melee veterans in Brawl are in.

Buuuut I prefer the Canis lupus. Wolf is my second main and I don't want to lose another one. Also, Falco is my brother's main, then I'll be really upset if he's gone. So, I need both.

And another point, I really doubt Wolf is out. New Starfox, iconic villain, unique moveset... The only cuts I see are Lucas (I'm really blue, they killed one of the best nintendo series, I NEED Mother 3 in english and Mother 1 remake, I NEED) :(, Snake, Ivysaur (nooooo) :hulk: and Squirtle. But I have no worries, DLC at this point is a thing.
I see Falco leaving. Not only is he too similar to Fox, but he does not provide anything better that could not be scrapped for Fox. Falco is a Fox 2.0.

Wolf represents the antagonistic side against Fox and is Fox's rival. He is a thorn in Fox's side and always tries to ruin his plans.
He also has his own original moveset and fights in a very different fashion.

As bad as it would be to see someone go, Falco would be the only reasonable choice.
You don't cut characters with diverse movesets.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Squirtle, Snake and Ivysaur probably disagree.
Toon Link is angry with you. :p

Don't worry guy, I agree with you in one point, Wolf is going anywhere.
I don't know about Ivysaur really. Snake could come back but unlikely. And you mean isn't in the last sentence right? Just wanting to make sure I understand you.

Speculator

Smash Ace
So the Subspace Emissary just happened and no longer matters when it comes to future Smash Bros installments.
We're never going to get anywhere if you don't address my points. Simply saying the exact opposite of what I said is not a refutation. You need to explain why you think the previous game in a series doesn't matter when it comes to developing the sequel.

Actually I did, I did get what point you are trying to make by saying I am "ignoring" your statements. You brought up that Falco's role as a wingman is more important than he lack of role in the Franchises existence. That is the point I have been making, but you seem to want to shove it under a bus.
This one is pretty difficult to decipher, but I don't think Falco's role as a wingman being important is the point you've been making otherwise we'd be agreeing. The point I'm making is that Falco's role as a wingman is an important aspect of the Star Fox series. His persistent presence as such, combined with two SSB games under his belt, gives him priority over Wolf who in comparison has only one SSB game and some boss fights to his name.

And that is all Falco has going for him, the reasons why if Falco was replaced by somebody else for the secondary Star Fox spot in Melee, that he would not have been more recommended. Wolf is the obstacle that Fox has to overcome.
Hypothesizing about what might have been if Peppy or Slippy were included in Melee instead of Falco is totally unproductive to this discussion. That's not what happened. Falco was included in Melee and that can never be undone.

As I've said before, being a constant companion to the main character is a more important role than a rival character with intermitten appearances in some of the games. With screen time of almost 100% in many of his appearances, Falco is a familiar face of the Star Fox series and a key part of the team gameplay, one of the core aspects of the franchise. You haven't addressed this yet, you're just repeating that Wolf is an "obstacle to challenge Fox" without explaining why that gives him priority.

Falco seriously has nothing besides being in past Smash Games.
Just because Falco came first does not give him more reason to stay when Wolf is more different.
The only reason people cannot see Falco going is because he has been in past iterations of Smash.
See above. Pretending I haven't already explained why this is not the only reason Falco takes priority doesn't make my comments disappear. For the record, even without Falco's larger role in the Star Fox games, his appearances in the Smash Bros series alone would be enough for him to take priority anyway. As is the nature of any video game sequel, previous entries bear a huge influence over the design choices made by the development team.

So tell me, how is Wolf's Up B so similar to Fox's that it does not count as different?
It is the same move with different modifiers. looking at some of the custom moves we've seen so far in SSB4, I'd say it's about as similar as some of those - a variation on one move with different attack properties or visual effects.

And so is Wolf going to feel different, but Falco would still require a massive overhaul to feel as diverse to Fox as Wolf is. Which is the reason why Falco would take much more work and time to make him more different than Fox. The whole point is that, the developers already have less work to deal with when it comes to Wolf and adding more to him.
With Wolf gone, Falco certainly wouldn't need a massive amount of work done to feel as different as Wolf because he can simply take assets from Wolf's appearance in Brawl. Again, it doesn't matter what the character looks like, recreating a character in SSB4 is the same amount of work. They're not porting characters over and tweaking them.

Either way, I wouldn't accept making Falco feel only as different from Fox as Wolf is as being adequate. Neither Falco or Wolf stand out from Fox, Wolf just stands out slightly more than Falco. Both characters would require a serious overhaul in order to feel truly unique.

Yes, Fox's blaster was scrapped for Falco. Does it really add to Fox's tricky or deceptive nature?
I don't see how that's strictly relevant, but yes I suppose it does. Slipping in sneak shots to bulk up damage to the opponent without impeding their movement is pretty tricksy.

Response to bold, that is complete and utterly false. This is where your point falls completely flat.
I will refer to my previous example. Magnus picked up the ring in Kid Icarus Uprising. Had he not picked up the ring, Pit would have stayed stuck there and Hades would have taken over or whatever. This means Magnus was important to a pivotal event in the game's story - however, he only makes appearances in three of the game's twenty-five chapters, and that's just ONE of the three Kid Icarus games. This means Magnus's role in the Kid Icarus series is relatively small, and is why he'd never be considered for an appearance in SSB. Cycling back to Star Fox, this is why Wolf's august position as "a thorn in Fox's side" isn't enough for him to take priority over a character with a larger role in the series.

Your point that makes Falco important does not give him any leverage, it does not make him any more important than Slippy or Peppy Hare since they are also considered Wingman.
Granted that Falco might not be more important than Peppy or Slippy, but all three are a larger part of the series than Wolf. The games are about the Star Fox team, the Star Fox team is on the box, the series is named after the Star Fox team. The members of the Star Fox team are the main characters. Falco's importance to Star Fox is supplemented by his appearances in the Smash games. That's what gives him more overall significance than Peppy or Slippy when it comes to SSB. Why he was chosen for Melee over the other two is neither here nor there; the fact is that he was chosen, and that must be taken into account.

Falco has been around more than Wolf, but Wolf has also been given enough notice to get his own backing.
Naturally, that's not what I'm disputing. Wolf had at least enough merit to secure an inclusion in Brawl. But Falco has been around more than Wolf, you're right, and that's why I'm suggesting that in the even one of them leaves then Falco has more justification for staying taking into account his combined roles in previous Smash titles and the Star Fox series.

Falco has been in most Star Fox games, but does that warrant a more diverse role, when he is not in fact playable? Hey, Slippy and Peppy Hare have been there since the beginning, so why not add them? Cutting Wolf would cause some uproars, since he has his own diverse moveset and represents the special antagonist part of the Star Fox series. How many people clamor that Smash needs more characters that bring more to Smash? Falco does not do that for most people. Ask yourself this, when it comes down to it, would people rather have more diverse characters or more of the same?
From my perspective, what I'd really like (continuing our hypothetical situation that only two SF characters make it into SSB4) is two Star Fox reps that are very different from one another, not just variations on the same thing. I explained in my previous posts that Falco is by no means obligated to appear exactly as he did in the previous game. I believe his following from two previous Smash Bros games and his role as part of the Star Fox team are enough to give him priority over Wolf as a character. I am not advocating Wolf be cut and for Falco to breeze through unchanged. I'm not even advocating Wolf be cut. All I'm saying is that as a character, Falco has much more security should one of them need to be removed.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
There's no rule saying that clones can't have similar customization options as their original counterparts, they are clones after all. It's not going to endanger anyone, it really isn't an important enough feature to affect the roster itself, and especially not such a popular character as Falco.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom