• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SOUTH KOREA SMASH (player finder/info)

Devil Ray

Smash Lord

Sup, this is RCK, Ray Chun Korea. In case people were wondering, we have a small community of players and we occasionally have people traveling through the Republic of Korea. If you are ever interested in playing, feel free to post here. If you want to set up a smashfest, post here and I'll update the thread with your information.

Our new smash location is at my place at Irwon(일원) in Seoul.
Here's my info
RCK, aka Ray Chun Korea.
my number is 010-8484-6137 and i live in Seoul, at Irwon station on line 3.
Facebook link: www.facebook.com/raychun2.
Korea Smash Facebook group:https://www.facebook.com/groups/174105672774911/
email is raychun1@gmail.com

Last edited:

aznhaxor

Smash Rookie
평촌 seems far... Is there any player in Seoul? I occassionally come to South Korea, but I can't find any good smash people around.

Devil Ray

Smash Lord
where do you stay in korea? pyeongchon is not that far on the subway and it's convenient to get to.

after marcus leaves for break, i'll probably the best option for melee in the whole of korea :-( sad, but true

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, another thread would be good to organize the clutter.

I live in Guri now, (10 minutes from Jamsil, 20 from Wangshimni, 30 from Itaewon)

phone is 010-3147-0550

I'll be more active once Project M comes out. Although, I wouldn't mind smashing with Marcus once before he goes.

Ohmu

Smash Apprentice
Hi, I posted in the other Korea thread but I just saw this so I'll put myself here, too.

My name's Tristan, I'm looking to get back into smash (since my girlfriend just got me a wii for Christmas!), particularly between Feb. 10 - Mar. 1 (since I'll be off work). I prefer Brawl (it's the only one I've played competitively), but I would happily learn melee if anyone had the patience to put up with owning me a lot. Melee was gaining popularity in my home region in the US when I left, so it'd be nice to get better at it for whenever I go back. (I know the basics, like wavedashing and L-cancelling; I've just almost never played against anyone good, so I'm horrible at it.)

I live in a very rural area (Hwacheon county in Gangwon-do), but I would gladly travel pretty far to play. (Before I left for Korea, I was obsessed with the game.) I'm only 2 hours from Seoul, so it's very convenient for me to go there.

Brett and/or Devilray - would you be down to play sometime in February? It looks like you both live in pretty convenient locations for me, luckily.

My phone number is 010-2626-3185 and my email is tristan.reiniers@gmail.com.

I have a wii, 3 gamecube controllers, brawl, and a small (lagless) tv.

Devil Ray

Smash Lord
ohmu, are you from midwest? i've played lain and met ook(they're in your sig). i'm from chicago

i'm definitely all melee, but brett(ricosta) is the brawler. sucks that brett is less active, but i'm almost always down to play melee.

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
A competitive brawler? weeeeeeee

Yeah, that sounds pretty good. I should have my controller back (one of my friends that has my luggage is out of the country right now) by February so I'd be down to play. That goes for you too Ray, though I doubt my Ganondorf is a much of a challenge.

OH, I got Smash 64 on my Wii as well in case anyone wants to play such a ridiculous game.

Ohmu

Smash Apprentice
ohmu, are you from midwest? i've played lain and met ook(they're in your sig). i'm from chicago
No, I'm from central Florida, actually. I hung out with Lain a bit when he flew down for MLG Orlando; that's how I know him. (My friends and I were renting a large house in Orlando near UCF at the time, so our location drew a lot of out-of-state smashers.) I don't know Ook, I just got my signature from an interview Ook did on lain. Did you play Lain in melee? I thought he only played brawl.

But yeah, let's play in February. How about...Sunday, February 13th, in the afternoon? I'll be in Seoul then because I'm taking the LSAT that morning at Yonsei University. It's a good day for me because I booked a hostel for the night so I won't have to rush to catch a bus home at, like, 6:30 pm like I normally would. (It's also a good day for me because it comes just in time for some makgeolli I'm making to finish brewing, if you guys want to try it.) If you're available that day, Brett, I would vote for your place, since Jamsil station is only about 35 minutes from Yonsei, and what with you being the brawler and all.

And Brett, who do you play as in Brawl? I played Dedede and wolf when I left, but now I'm learning the Ice Climbers. (In melee, I played peach.)

Oh - and do either of you know if it's possible to buy a copy of Melee in Korea, or would I have to get it mailed from the US?

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
I don't live in Jamsil, I live in Guri which is 10-20 minutes from Jamsil via bus/taxi. My offistel is really nice, but it's a little hard to find if you don't know the bus system, so I wouldn't mind going to your place since you have a pretty awesome setup.

If you are near Seodaemun station it takes about 30 via train though so if you're fine with that then w/e.

I "main" Sheik (it's more like a 60/20/20 split), but I go Wario for IC's. DDD is the bane of my existence and I'm still trying to figure out what to do against him.

Ohmu

Smash Apprentice
Cool. So Sunday the 13th is good for you, then, Brett?

I guess if you're fine with going to my hostel, that would be best for me, since my brain will be completely fried that afternoon since I will have just taken the LSAT, so the prospect of finding a new location is a little daunting. And it's good, because my hostel is very conveniently located, only a few minutes from Sinchon station. I'll post the link with the directions here now, while it's on my mind, in case I forget it later: http://www.backpackerskorea.com/sinchon/location/location.php

My room's small, but it's got all the necessities, as far as I can tell. Hopefully it'll have a good spot to put my tv. (It comes with a flatscreen, but I don't want to use it.)

If dedede is troublesome for you; don't worry, sheik is really bad for me. I don't know if you know of <3, he was the sheik in central FL and has beaten me every time we've ever played, no exceptions. I love dedede, but he's incredibly one-dimensional once you get to know him, which is why I'm trying to switch to IC's. Their learning curve is brutal, though, so I'm not sure how far I'll get. I do well enough against my middle-school-aged host sisters (I'm doing a homestay with a Korean family), but I haven't really successfully taught them how to up-b, so that's not saying much, lol. I'm really amped to finally play again.

So how bout you, Devilray - any chance I could coax you into brawling it up for a bit?

Devil Ray

Smash Lord
i probably wouldn't make the trek out there for brawl...i gotta admit that i'm all melee at this point. i'll play brawl after a few hours of melee, but usually just to humor people.

also, i'm a little confused about your housing situation. you have family in hwacheon? and are you staying at the backpackers or a homestay? are they the same? and youre from florida? lol, sorry i'm confused cuz you listed like a few places more than i expected :p

i played lain in melee tournies, he was legit in both games. way better in brawl obviously. really chill dude. ook, i only met at brawl/melee tournies. didnt know him.

edit: is the backpackers place in 신촌 or 신천? i can't tell actually, lol

Ohmu

Smash Apprentice
I live with a host family in Hwacheon (화천), not Seoul. I don't actually have any real family in Korea (I'm a white guy, lol); the homestay was set up through my job. I chose a homestay to try to get the most "Korean" experience out of my living here, I guess. It's pretty neat - the husband and wife who head the household are both professional sculptors, though, so I don't know how "authentic" my Korean experience is, lol.

I'm only staying at the hostel in Seoul for two nights because I'm taking the LSAT near there. I booked a room because the test is really early in the morning (8AM), so I have to stay overnight in Seoul to make it there on time, since the buses don't start running in Hwacheon until too late for me to try to get there on the day of the test. The backpacker's place (which is the same as the hostel) is near 신촌역, not 신천...damn that Korean romanization ;-)

If you're all melee, that's cool; I would hang out sometime later in February if you wanted to show me the ropes. What's your work schedule like? Are you ever free on weekdays, or usually only weekends?

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
Even when I was practicing full time I was probably only 75% as good as <3. And that was a year ago.

Also, homemade makgeolli raaaaapes.

Zakosai

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, looks like we may yet have another 4 player smash get-together soon.

I'm finally out of the busy days and back into guaranteed weekends off. Ohmu, looking forward to smashing it up eventually, hope we can all find a good weekend to meet up.

Yoshiking, find this thread so we can possibly have 4 player Brawl. Otherwise, Melee works too.

Have you guys got together for smash in past couple o' months?

Devil Ray

Smash Lord
what's shugo's info? for everyone in Korea, i'll update as long as i know the relevant details. :)

btw, i'm the states right now for vacation. i've been playing melee everyday this week. there's seriously nothing like smash in America. it's 2222ggood

Ohmu

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'm definitely still up for next Sunday the 13th! (Hopefully my test will finish early ... recently I've read some accounts of there being mistakes made by the people running the test which cause it to go into the afternoon.)

Zakosai, you should join the Brawl with us. We'll probably meet sometime after 2PM or so. (I'm not sure exactly when since I'm taking the LSAT that morning, so I can't smash until it's over.) I'll be staying at a single-room in a hostel that day near Sinchon station (신촌역) (near Yonsei University); that’s where Ricosta and I are meeting up. Here’s the link with the location:

http://www.backpackerskorea.com/sinc...n/location.php

By the way, I’ll repost my contact/setup info for Zakosai:
My phone number is 010-2626-3185 and my email is tristan.reiniers@gmail.com.
I have a wii, 3 gamecube controllers, brawl, and a small (lagless) tv.

What’s your contact info Zakosai? And who do you main in Brawl?

Oh and to Ricosta – how did you get Project M? Is there a download somewhere? And you don’t need a modded wii to play it, right?

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
My contact info is in the first post (look under Melee - Brett). Email is brettramsay@gmail.com

Project M is going to be out Monday and you can get it a projectm.smashmods.com

I think you can play it without hacking your wii, but mine is softmodded because you can do a million cool things once homebrew is is installed.

Zakosai

Smash Apprentice
My # is 010-8688-3028. I won't be able to make it that Sunday, but will likely be able to go next time.

My main is Ganondorf, but in my hands he's at least mid-tier. Look forward to some games soon!

Ohmu

Smash Apprentice
just wondering but is anybody in or near daejeon? I dont know korea's geography lol
If I'm not mistaken, I think everyone in Korea is kind of near Daejeon, lol, since it's about in the middle of the country, and Korea's pretty small. Seoul, for instance, is only about 100 miles from there. I bet there's an express bus you could take that would get you to Seoul from there in less than 2.5 hours, if you wanted to meet up with Ricosta, Ray, or me, and maybe Zakosai, too, not sure where he lives yet. (Though if I recall, you play only melee, so you probably wouldn't be interested in me, at least...)

My # is 010-8688-3028. I won't be able to make it that Sunday, but will likely be able to go next time.

My main is Ganondorf, but in my hands he's at least mid-tier. Look forward to some games soon!
Cool. I'm off for the whole rest of the month, so you and I at least will definitely be able to make something work as long as you're close to Seoul. Hell, depending on where you live and if I have the energy left after my test day, I might even be able to meet with you Monday the 14th. Do you work that day?

Devil Ray

Smash Lord
i updated the OP with ppl's phone numbers. i hope it's ok for others to view. i also realized there are more brawlers in Korea now than there are melee players.....saddddnessss. i might change the OP format later, but i think it's fine for now.

daejon is mad far. it's pretty unrealistic for anyone in the Seoul metro area to go out there for smash. honestly, ppl always end up visiting Seoul for smash bc it just has more things to offer.

for any melee players, i'm the best bet for a smash session. hopefully we see some more players come around

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
On the bright side, this Project M demo is pretty great and it's got like 90% of melee stuff in it (no light shielding yet, wavelanding has different timing) so I would definitely be down to play it with melee folk (or anyone). Finally, I can grab with Y!

CableCho57

Smash Lord
yeah all of my direct relatives live in daejeon, and thats where my grandma whos from there, plans to visit this summer. And there's like a 50/50 chance I may go, so I was just wondering.

melee ftw

Zakosai

Smash Apprentice
Devil Ray, thanks for updating the phone numbers. Adding to what you said, although the traveling is a pain, there are better opportunities for smash in Seoul. Let us know when you're up for hosting some smash.

Ohmu, I'm over in Songtan. I can travel on Sunday the 20th for some games wherever the meeting place will be. I'd be happy to host people if they are pretty close, Songtan is far south of Seoul.

Also, it would be super awesome to try out a new version of Brawl. We should try Brawl plus, or heck even Brawl minus would be fun.

Ohmu

Smash Apprentice
Oh, sorry, Zakosai, I thought you lived in Seoul. It might be hard for me to visit you if you don't. I actually don't live in Seoul; I live in Hwacheon County in Gangwon-do, which is about 2.5 hours east of there. I'm only able to host Ricosta on Sunday because I'm renting a hostel in Seoul for the night. How far is Songtan (송탄?) from Seoul? I Korean Wikipedia'd it, but got redirected to the page for Pyeongtaek (평택), and got a little lazy about translating it. It looks like it's in Gyeonggi-do, is that right?

Ohmu

Smash Apprentice
Oh, and Ricosta - could you bring an SD card with project M on it when you come? I don't have an SD card I can use for the download.

BTW, I have an American Wii. I think that info's important in selecting which download you need, but I'm not sure.

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to bring my Wii because you need to have homebrew plus some other applications installed.

Ohmu

Smash Apprentice
You can bring your wii if you want, but I don't think you need to as long as you have an SD card (with Project M) that's less than 2 gigabytes.

They say you can just boot project M from Brawl's stage builder once you start the game.

Today, the Project M website seems to have taken down their section with instructions for loading it on a hacked wii, leaving only the instructions for loading it normally. (When I checked the Project M site yesterday, it had instructions for loading Project M on an unhacked or hacked wii.) They even go so far as to say:

"The Project M team does not support piracy, and the officially supported methods all require a legit copy of the game. Additionally, the Project M team does not support any modification to the wii system, and encourages users to use the "Hackless" method of loading."

They're probably concerned about legal issues from Nintendo, I'm guessing.

EDIT: Also, as for when we can meet this Sunday - I'll give you a call when I get out of the testing room at Yonsei, sometime between 11:45 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. (hopefully on the earlier side), and I should be available about an hour after that or so.

riocosta123

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, you can do that, but it's installed via the hacked way on my SD card since my wii is already hacked.

Top Bottom