• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Source Gaming Presents: Sakurai’s GDC 2008 Presentation Slides

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Another fantastic translation has come our way thanks to the amazing folks at Source Gaming. A lot went into the creation of Brawl from the graphical themes to the design of its characters. To really gain some insight Sakurai's presentation at GDC 2008 has been translated for Smash fans to read. Here is a preview:

---
The following images are a translation of Sakurai’s presentation at GDC 2008 about choosing, creating and developing characters for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Translations were completed by PushDustIn. They detail the formation of the redesign of Pit, creating moves and setting the frames, details about Sonic and Snake, graphics, and more! See the details below.

---​

To see the rest of the slides be sure to support Source Gaming's efforts by checking out the original article. For more translations on character design in Smash check out this archive of translations on the subject. As they provide many amazing translations completely free with no ads on their site consider checking out their Patreon to show support as well.

SmashCapps always loves these translations and thinks we can all learn so much about how Smash is designed from them. To keep up with his writing follow him on Twitter.

Last edited:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Thanks for the feature, SmashCapps!

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Thanks for the feature!
@ DMurr DMurr worked really hard on making the images readable. Seriously, I could write a post about the differences he did. So please send him some love too!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Sakurai is an amazing game designer. He is incredibly thorough in everything he does, he never misses a single beat. I seriously should buy those Microman Action Figures for myself, as I have been trying to get into animation lately, since it's part of improving my own game design skills.

Aside from that, this presentation gives the best insight into how he decides on characters, IMO. I like looking at the criteria he specifies here, and seeing how he may have applied that to some of my favourite additions in each Smash game.

Last edited:

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
This what I call a INKCREDIBLE character design.

They tool a lot of effort looking the characters, ake them look similar in a way that somehow, fit in this universe. The design even Smash still cool and melee until this day.

Others crossover what they do is, Put same model or lazy design that don't belong there. (Looking at you Playstation All-Star!)

Heck even Project X zone they give everyone a Anime to look they fits in this crossover and Dat gunda chibi game crossover so they can fit a closets possible. Marvels. Vs. Capcom make everyone comic book look like and Even Street Fighter vs. Tekken they use the same Street Fighter 4 graphics capalitys so Tekken characters feel right fit (Even I hate those graphics by the way...)

Design a characters, is like giving the world a "balance".
Making a crossover take a lot of design problems and balancing so they can feel those characters fits in that universe.

The problem with brawl, is the balancing and tripping.
Tripping is stupid and Meta Opknight.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
I agree with everybody above: Sakurai is a genius on Game Design. Everything he puts on the games (except for Tripping, but it is the past already) is well thought. It's amazing how no character looks out of place here, and how he can create a original moveset for each character without being unfitting. Those Microman figures seem to be pretty nice, too.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This just makes me want Snake back even more. :p Haha. Great read!

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
Standard For Selecting Characters:

- The character must display personality in their game.

So why was Roy chosen to be in Smash 4? I'm assuming Sakurai kept the same standards for picking characters.

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
These kind of things is why Sakurai is my favorite game developer. He even gave pit a well thought out and unique design while he tried to make it seem like the original which it did and pit looks awesome now.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9

So why was Roy chosen to be in Smash 4? I'm assuming Sakurai kept the same standards for picking characters.
His personality was the fire, lol.

Roy was only added to Smash 4 because he was the next most popular Melee vet, seemingly. Looked like they wanted a Melee vet and a Brawl vet in Wave 2 DLC.

ARBITER WARPIG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ARBITERWARPIG
His personality was the fire, lol.

Roy was only added to Smash 4 because he was the next most popular Melee vet, seemingly. Looked like they wanted a Melee vet and a Brawl vet in Wave 2 DLC.
I hope they bring back at least one more brawl vet. I want Snake back so much.

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738

I personally feel Roy has a lot of personality that's uniquely "Roy". His youthful expressiveness. The heaviness of his blade. The inexperienced boldness of a young man on his face. The fire in his attacks and spirit... But this could just be me.

It's appropriate to note the criteria of Roy that got him into Smash in the first place all those years ago. Intelligent Systems approached Sakurai, a big Fire Emblem fan himself, on promoting the title they were developing at the moment. With Marth already in the game, Intelligent Systems wanted another character inclusion in Melee. Sakurai was hesitant. Development was already strained, and he didn't want to use Smash Bros. for direct promotion. However, Intelligent Systems gave him an early demo of Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade. Sakurai took a liking to its protagonist Roy as a young, well-meaning but inexperienced swordsman that would contrast well with the more capable character of Marth. This still holds true in Smash 4, or at least it does for me.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I'll have to admit, Sakurai is amazing when it comes to aesthetics design, which were heavily emphasized in his GDC presentation.
However, unlike many of the above posters, I have my doubts concerning his gameplay and balance design abilities.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'll have to admit, Sakurai is amazing when it comes to aesthetics design, which were heavily emphasized in his GDC presentation.
However, unlike many of the above posters, I have my doubts concerning his gameplay and balance design abilities.
First couple games he didn't really need to focus on balance and they turned out fine, especially since there wasn't online play. Brawl, like MKDS, brought attention to the imbalances with online play. And it's strained development didn't help matters...

Smash 4 is perfectly balanced for the main mode of play, FFAs. Fixing characters like Samus or Robin for 1v1s would break them in FFAs unless you rehauled them to be like other characters, defeating the point of Smash.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
First couple games he didn't really need to focus on balance and they turned out fine, especially since there wasn't online play. Brawl, like MKDS, brought attention to the imbalances with online play. And it's strained development didn't help matters...

Smash 4 is perfectly balanced for the main mode of play, FFAs. Fixing characters like Samus or Robin for 1v1s would break them in FFAs unless you rehauled them to be like other characters, defeating the point of Smash.
The chaotic and casual nature of FFA (especially with items) matches levels the balance field, contrary to the 'whoever has the best smash attacks wins' view on FFAs this also accounts for skill levels within FFAs, to the point where a developer, if he be magnanimous and seeking to please all his fans well, ought to balance with the less casual and chaotic modes in mind foremost.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750

Some information on why Roy was chosen in the first place. Basically, Sakurai enjoyed Roy's personality in the game, liked the idea of Roy being the only character in Smash before his game was released, and was an easy clone.

For coming back as DLC, he was the most requested Melee veteran (and most viable) after Dr. Mario and Mewtwo.

Oh man, Sakurai on gameplay and balance philosophy.... I could write a very long article about that. Someday...someday soon.

Last edited:

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
I personally feel Roy has a lot of personality that's uniquely "Roy". His youthful expressiveness. The heaviness of his blade. The inexperienced boldness of a young man on his face. The fire in his attacks and spirit... But this could just be me.

It's appropriate to note the criteria of Roy that got him into Smash in the first place all those years ago. Intelligent Systems approached Sakurai, a big Fire Emblem fan himself, on promoting the title they were developing at the moment. With Marth already in the game, Intelligent Systems wanted another character inclusion in Melee. Sakurai was hesitant. Development was already strained, and he didn't want to use Smash Bros. for direct promotion. However, Intelligent Systems gave him an early demo of Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade. Sakurai took a liking to its protagonist Roy as a young, well-meaning but inexperienced swordsman that would contrast well with the more capable character of Marth. This still holds true in Smash 4, or at least it does for me.
I'm more of making a subtle joke that Roy has zero personality in his game and is the most boring protag and lord in all of Fire Emblem.

Of course when it comes to advetising and money making, I bet the character selection criteria is changed a little.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
If only Mario kept his usual happy face for Smash. ;__;

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
Some information on why Roy was chosen in the first place. Basically, Sakurai enjoyed Roy's personality in the game, liked the idea of Roy being the only character in Smash before his game was released, and was an easy clone.

For coming back as DLC, he was the most requested Melee veteran (and most viable) after Dr. Mario and Mewtwo.

Oh man, Sakurai on gameplay and balance philosophy.... I could write a very long article about that. Someday...someday soon.
I am impressed that you have gone very far in translating his works and spreading it to new audiences. I wonder if you consider having a lengthy interview with Masahiro Sakurai when you got most of the translation done?

Pretzl

Smash Rookie
The "unifying worlds" section essentially reads, "We made stuff greyer."

Congrats Sakurai. *sarcastic slow clap

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
It's always fascinating to get a look behind the scenes and see why they made the choices they made. A lot of thought went into Pit's redesign, and overall, I'd say it was a huge success.

And I thought Roy's inclusion wasn't mainly for promotion? Sakurai was trying to find a Marth clone to help pad out the roster, contacted Intelligent Systems about Leif, and then they suggested Roy because they felt he'd be more visually distinct?

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I am impressed that you have gone very far in translating his works and spreading it to new audiences. I wonder if you consider having a lengthy interview with Masahiro Sakurai when you got most of the translation done?
Would be interesting! At this point an interview would help us fill in the Random gaps that exist in information, maybe get him to talk a bit more about his family.

It's always fascinating to get a look behind the scenes and see why they made the choices they made. A lot of thought went into Pit's redesign, and overall, I'd say it was a huge success.

And I thought Roy's inclusion wasn't mainly for promotion? Sakurai was trying to find a Marth clone to help pad out the roster, contacted Intelligent Systems about Leif, and then they suggested Roy because they felt he'd be more visually distinct?
The Leif thing is 100% lies.
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/04/13/the-definitive-unused-fighters-list-in-smash/

It's possible that Leif was considered but no official sources exist. I investigated it, found the original poster of that information and talked to them. They confined in me that they made up information.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
So what do you figure, then? Could he have contacted Intelligent Systems just to ask who they thought would work as a Marth clone?
That's essentially what he says on Roy's Japanese page. He saw the new Fire Emblem game when clone development started. Played through the advanced copy of Fire Emblem: Binding Blade. Enjoyed the protagonist, and realized a Marth clone would be possible. Decided to go with the reverse tipper as Roy is an inexperience swordsman who rushes into combat. Also, his moves were made flashy as Roy is flashy himself.

Quillion

Smash Hero
  • The character must carry over their playstyle from their original game as much as possible
Okay then, Sakurai. Then why is Ganondorf a ****ING FALCON PUNCHER? HUH? EVERYTHING YOU'VE EVER SAID ABOUT DESIGNING A SMASH CHARACTER GOES AGAINST THIS ****TY EXCUSE OF LAZINESS DESPITE FANS CLAMORING FOR A SWORDFIGHTER WITH MAGIC.

WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?????

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Okay then, Sakurai. Then why is Ganondorf a ****ING FALCON PUNCHER? HUH? EVERYTHING YOU'VE EVER SAID ABOUT DESIGNING A SMASH CHARACTER GOES AGAINST THIS ****TY EXCUSE OF LAZINESS DESPITE FANS CLAMORING FOR A SWORDFIGHTER WITH MAGIC.

Clam down.

Ganondorf was added as a last minute clone to Melee. They didn't even make the model, they imported him. Sakurai decided to focus on Ganondorf's raw power (Triforce of Power) for his moveset. He figured he could use Captain Falcon's moveset, with modifications to make that happen. He's not going to radically change movesets within the game as there are people who appreciate a way a character plays. Despite all "fans clamoring for a swordfighter with magic", most people really like Ganondorf (http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/0...-analysis-week-1-meet-the-hardcore-community/). They are just the silent majority.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996

You always this childish?? Always finding a way to take anything that has been said out of context and somehow make a fuss about it. Stop bringing your tantrums into unrelated topics.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Clam down.

Ganondorf was added as a last minute clone to Melee. They didn't even make the model, they imported him. Sakurai decided to focus on Ganondorf's raw power (Triforce of Power) for his moveset. He figured he could use Captain Falcon's moveset, with modifications to make that happen. He's not going to radically change movesets within the game as there are people who appreciate a way a character plays. Despite all "fans clamoring for a swordfighter with magic", most people really like Ganondorf (http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/0...-analysis-week-1-meet-the-hardcore-community/). They are just the silent majority.
I like to think of myself as saying things that people are afraid to. And people only like Ganondorf as a character, not as a moveset.

And **** all those who think that Ganondorf should punch. Would you appreciate Bowser using a hammer based on him using hammers in one game, SMB1, despite him fighting barehanded in all other games just because it fits how powerful Bowser is?

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I like to think of myself as saying things that people are afraid to. And people only like Ganondorf as a character, not as a moveset.

And **** all those who think that Ganondorf should punch. Would you appreciate Bowser using a hammer based on him using hammers in one game, SMB1, despite him fighting barehanded in all other games just because it fits how powerful Bowser is?

It's almost as if people have never witnessed this before.

And I would be ok with Bowser throwing hammers.

He has a pretty strong personality. He is down-to-earth, kind, and cunning. Cliche but still a personality.

I'm more of making a subtle joke that Roy has zero personality in his game and is the most boring protag and lord in all of Fire Emblem.

Of course when it comes to advetising and money making, I bet the character selection criteria is changed a little.
Pretty sure you haven't played a good handful of FE's lol. Especially 2.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

It's almost as if people have never witnessed this before.

And I would be ok with Bowser throwing hammers.
And he actually has that "slamming on the floor" move!

Using Flame Choke in the air results in him doing that exact move, using the grabbed opponent instead of a magic ball. The Flame Wave variant actually produces a bigger dark magic explosion that has a bigger area of effect (allowing damage to more distant foes).

And yeah, Bowser with a hammer move would work, but he's fine as is. Ganondorf for the most part is also fine, but I think adding a projectile wouldn't be a bad idea.

Last edited:

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
He has a pretty strong personality. He is down-to-earth, kind, and cunning. Cliche but still a personality.

Pretty sure you haven't played a good handful of FE's lol. Especially 2.

Actually I've played almost every Fire Emblem game except for Tharcia, 10 and 12.

I own Fire Emblem 1 and 2 in box for Famicom.
I also own Fire Emblem 3, also in box for Super Famicom. FE4 I only own the cart. I've played through them all, memorizing Japanese words for battle sequences. I also played through fan-translations of 3, 4 and 6.

Although not a game, I own the Fire Emblem OVA on VHS with Japanese voices and English subtitles.

I'm a big fan of Fire Emblem.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I'm pretty sure that there are other ways to display personality rather than showing off a character's way of being. Small things like Pikachu and Kirby's cuteness, Link's bravery, Samus's stoicness, Luigi's lovable coward attitude and Ike's "I fight for my friends" disposition show a good chunk of their personality despite not being heavily written characters.
I say that Roy plays well the part of the fiery red head at least in the Smash Bros. series. Can't speak for his home game but he definitely has personality in Smash.

Top Bottom