• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Source Gaming Presents: Did You Know…Misinformation?

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Many people are enormous fans of the Did You Know Gaming series. They have done several videos involving Smash, but how exactly accurate are these facts being presented? The PushDustIn at Source Gaming has used his extensive knowledge and translating skills to figure out just that and clear up any misinformation from the video. Here is a preview:

---​

Hey guys, PushDustIn here. If you guys have been following Source Gaming, you know that I’m big on correcting misinformation and providing sources whenever possible. This is another installment of one of those posts. This post follows in the proud tradition of The Definitive Unused Characters List“, and “Sakurai Didn’t Said That!” These kinds of posts will continue to serve as reliable sources for fans everywhere.

The more people that read these posts, the more informed we all will be. I know these posts are long, but they are important. So please read it! I’ve transcribed more of the videos. The text that is not centered is written by me.Text highlighted in red is straight up misinformation. Text highlighted in orange is lacking information or key details.

“Did you know…Super Smash Bros was originally going to be a game called Dragon King: The Fighting Game for the Super Nintendo and would’ve used the super-FX chip to render basic 3D graphics. It didn’t feature any established Nintendo characters, and was planned to be the first game in an entirely new franchise. The game was later moved to the Nintendo 64 mainly to utilize the console’s analog stick and 4 man multiplayer as well as utilizing the console’s graphical capabilities.“

The project plan for Super Smash Brothers was originally intended for the Nintendo 64. Iwata and Sakurai discussed their prototype in this Iwata Asks for Brawl. Furthermore, the original title of project plan can be loosely translated as, “4 players fighting at the same time, removal of potential damage (HP), battle royale fighter”. 4 players are impossible on the SNES without an adapter, andtherefore being planned for the SNES is straight up misinformation. Furthermore, the cover of the plan has been featured in Sakurai’s collection,Thought About Video Games and is clearly labelled for the Nintendo 64, with a completion date of October, 1996.

---​

Want to learn a bunch more about the history of Smash and which facts they didn't quite get right? Be sure to read the full article and consider supporting Source Gaming's efforts on Patreon as they provide all of these amazing translations and articles absolutely free.

SmashCapps always loves all of the articles from Source Gaming as they are incredibly high quality and interesting work. To keep up with his own writing adventures follow him on Twitter.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Great article but a little late to posting. Still a lot of interesting details are here. Thanks @ PushDustIn PushDustIn for researching!
and thanks for maki ng this a article on here smashcapps!

Last edited:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
We, as a staff at Source Gaming, feel that this article represents well the overall goal and aims of the site as a whole. It's one of the best @ PushDustIn PushDustIn has done, and I'm excited that you guys posted it here! Thanks for sharing, as always, SmashCapps!

Last edited:

Fakes

Smash Apprentice
I forget where, but I read about the part where it says that the game originally didn't plan to have Nintendo characters in it. Totally makes sense that they came up with the idea for a new style of fighter, and then decided it would sell better with familiar faces

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
Real cool, guys. I have always had a dislike to DYKG videos since the videos never had sources for their information. I even remember that their website had a bunch of false trivia about games.

Still cool to see a lot of this stuff. Real liked the work you guys have been doing.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
A lot of these misinformation were ones I actually believed...so I'm glad I finally know what was actually reliably said and not now!

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Ah--my friends.
There is nothing sweeter than the truth.
Or perhaps it was 'more bitter'?
Either way, it's always good when the truth is revealed.

Last edited:

zaiman12345

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theawesome4567
OKEY
I NEVER KNEW THIS BUT IM STICKING WITH DYKG.
NO MOVING ME.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
OKEY
I NEVER KNEW THIS BUT IM STICKING WITH DYKG.
NO MOVING ME.
Deliberately clinging to known purveyors of misinformation is not a wise choice.
That's not to say you can't enjoy their content, mind.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Thanks for the share @ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill . I was hoping that everyone would see this article and your share helps a lot!

Subscribe to our Facebook page, or follow me on Twitter in order to keep up to date on Source Gaming's activities. We are working on an informative Gematsu debate for you guys.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Why do you insist on posting a reaction image for one reason or another? Perhaps to try and get me to stop posting? To show how much disdain you have for my words?
Is there some element of falsehood in my statements?
Am I not correct in my prescription?

zaiman12345

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theawesome4567
That's a little deep.
Why do you insist on posting a reaction image for one reason or another? Perhaps to try and get me to stop posting? To show how much disdain you have for my words?
Is there some element of falsehood in my statements?
Am I not correct in my prescription?
and no.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Wow, there is a lot of clarification regarding several topics like the infamous "No fighting game characters" quote. Sakurai actually never said such thing and it was a mistranslation or misinterpretation of what he actually said, not to mention that people in our fanbase have a knack for twisting the words that come out of his mouth.
Hopefully this will teach us to read carefully before jumping to rash conclusions in the future.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Deliberately clinging to known purveyors of misinformation is not a wise choice.
That's not to say you can't enjoy their content, mind.
It's not as if the majority of what they said was wrong anyways. Most of it was just lacking more detailed information. The few things that were just outright wrong were it being intended for SNES (pretty recently translated), the cat picture not being Sakurai's cat which Sakurai didn't even prove false until 2014 which was a year after the video was made, and that the list's contents didn't consist of Nintendo developers wants but rather fan's. The other stuff that was highlighted as wrong were just the video discussing theories made by the players which of course would not have sources or is debatable. Though I do appreciate the fact that the things mentioned were dispelled as false.

Also, I'm confused by this:

"Melee was in development for 13 months"
-DYKG

"On a personal level, Melee had an extremely grueling development cycle. Some of my other games did, too, but Melee sticks out far ahead of the pack in my mind. I worked on that game for 13 months straight, after all, without a single Sunday or holiday off that whole time. During parts of it, I was living a really destructive lifestyle — I’d work for over 40 hours in a row, then go back home to sleep for four.”
-1UP (Sakurai quote)

"Masahiro Sakurai started work on Melee in June 1999 shortly after E3. The plan was finished July 5th, 1999. Initially, only a small team was working on Melee, but by 2001 the project had over 100 people."
-Source Gaming

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I believe the 13 months refers to the majority of development/ the time that Sakurai worked continuously. When development started in 1999, Sakurai was basically fleshing out the project plan by himself. Dolphin (which would later become the Gamecube) was just announced so there wasn't even a development kit available for awhile.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I believe the 13 months refers to the majority of development/ the time that Sakurai worked continuously. When development started in 1999, Sakurai was basically fleshing out the project plan by himself. Dolphin (which would later become the Gamecube) was just announced so there wasn't even a development kit available for awhile.
Ahh, that makes sense. It has always been a little unclear to me what the term "development" truly means with regard to gaming and whether or not that includes the planning stages of the game.

D

Deleted member

Wait, "Sakurai didn't SAID that?" This guy needs to fix his own misinformation before talking about others

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
So mewtwo was supposed to be a character in all smash games

Top Bottom