• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sorry for crashing Smashboards. I'm Zipzo. I played the release build demo of Smash 4. AMA!

• Thread starter Deleted member 245254
  • Start date

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
First of all, thank you guys for answering our question. Now, if you can, can you say if (and excuse me if this question were already asked):
1) Every Character in the demo had 8 palette? Because I'm missing 2 Toon Link alt (I know Green/Blue/Red/Purple/Dark Toon Link and Old School Link).
2) The famous sunglasses Pikachu hat could be this?
3) There was a Shiny Greninja/Gekkouga?
4) How many colour had Olimar? Just 4 (because of Alph) or 8 (like each Little Mac alt)?
Again, Thank you for all!

Revven

FrankerZ
Pikachu's electricity hitboxes seem to create (like his fair, dair) more hitstun, it felt like Smash 64 version of those attacks.
This sounds more like hitlag to me than hitstun. Hitlag actually wouldn't be a good thing as it would give people more time to react and DI/SDI accordingly. This was a problem in Brawl for quite a few attacks (notably Marth's tippers, Falcon's knee, and Zelda's kicks). It makes the moves feel good to hit with but the drawback is it gives the opponent a much higher chance of survivability. Then again, with DI/SDI being said to be weaker than Brawl and Melee maybe it won't matter much at all.

Sxips

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dark_Dino
Switch FC
SW-8329-8819-7281
Does Diddy have any other changes besides the one banana.

Vini300

Smash Rookie
NNID
Vini3000
So, how does King Dedede feel now? Any difference from his brawl counterpart? What about his down-special, is it really as strong as Sakurai states it is?

D

Deleted member 245254

Does Palutena call out her attacks, or was that just flair for the trailer?
She does not.

Any sightings of Isaac as an assist trophy by any chance?
Did not see him.

How do the inputs work? If you use B to flip the stances, how do you confirm? How many of them did you try out?
I've been avoiding this question because I'm not 100% fully tested on Shulk. I played as him 3 times and still don't fully understand how to properly control his stances. I am going to return tomorrow and have this as a point of priority for experimenting with.

You mentioned Meta Knight's attacks have actual start-up now. However, what I want to know is do his tilts, smash attacks, and aerials still have laser priority? Laser priority is what it says on the tin, his attacks act like Falco's lasers and cannot be clanked/clashed and he cannot attack projectiles like Samus' missiles. Do you remember seeing MK ever clanking or clashing with any attacks? In Brawl, the only attacks that could clank were Tornado (that's what it allowed it to have the "priority" it had) and Drill Rush.
Hmmm...I did say that I was unsure of Tornado's priority, and I still am. Meta-Knight exploration may be high on my list tomorrow as well. It was not Brawl tornado though. I can assure you that.

Speaking of the Tornado, you said it doesn't last as long and it doesn't rise anymore. What I want to know is, does it still do 22% despite dealing less hits? And, also, did anyone try (when you played as MK) to challenge the Tornado? If not then I guess you probably don't know if it has laser priority like his other attacks. I want to know because what Project M did to fix MK's tornado "priority" was by giving it laser priority, meaning characters could throw out hitboxes and at worst they would just trade with the tornado (taking only a couple of % but knocking MK out of the tornado).
This kinda falls in line with the first bit.

You say that low% combos are possible, but low% combos existed to some degree in Brawl -- how low% are we talking? 20%? 50%? Sheik's Ftilt in Brawl, for example, could lock characters until 50% and then the characters would start to go into their tumble state (higher %age and all). Is the threshold 50% where things start to become harder to combo? Also, would you say that there's a chance to combo into a finisher at higher %s?
That's a good guess. I was going to say after around 60% your opponent seemed to start flying a bit far, giving you little room to miss frames on a follow up before your hit stun wore off.

One other thing, did you notice if you could DI normally at low%s? In Brawl, you couldn't DI during the non-tumble state and that's what lead to things like DDD's chaingrab being a thing. Is DI'ing reimplemented into the non-tumble state or could you not notice while you were playing?
Chain grabbing is basically now impossible because the throw distance seems to be relatively increased and also sort of lodges the characters too far in the air. DI is definitely in but it's slight. It's definitely there though. Not sure about the timings of tumble state and what not.

Oh and is there any shield drop lag like in Melee? Or, is the shield drop more like Brawl? What about shieldstun? Could you shieldgrab almost everything that hit your shield?

That's all I got right now. I imagine most of this will probably be better answered next week but I thought I'd try anyway (especially since more people are just asking you about colors...)
Attacking Shields were a lot safer. It was a real street fighter feel in that you could pressure an opponents shield without it being really cheap, akin to pressuring an opponents block. Shields also break easier so you can't just sit there in shield.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
Because he is a fox skin. He's obv not in the game. Please no straw grasping
Watch your attitude kid, there's no need to get haughty or pass condescending remarks. Keep your comments to yourself if are going to be a jerk. You weren't the one I was speaking with, speak when spoken to

pikachufan2222

Smash Rookie
Another page another repost. Is Kirby still as good as he was in the E3 build? Or did you not get a chance to play him?

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Sorry to repeat this from page 12, but three of us seemed curious about this:

Thank you for taking on our questions! Mine is a little unusual, you might not have any immediate way to know: Does Robin lose 'charges/uses' of the magic sword on a miss, or only if he actually hits something with it?

Why this matters: Some Fire Emblem games only use up weapon 'durability/uses' on a Hit, so there's room to wonder.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think I read somewhere that Luigi will be locked and possibly some of the others. I might be wrong though.
Based on past Smash Bros. installments, it appears that ALL characters that Sakurai reveals before releasing a Smash Bros. installment will be starters. The only exceptions have been Solid Snake and Sonic for Brawl, and it seems that Lucina is an unlockable character for Smash 4.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Hello, Zipzo. First of all, thanks for taking some time to respond to so many questions the people here have about the game. Anyways, I only have one silly question: I am wondering if the "Unova Pokémon League (aka N's Castle)" stage was playable in the demo? If it was, how does the stage hazards (Reshiram, Zekrom and Milotic) behave on it? Are they as nasty as the hazards in Brawl's Spear Pillar (Dialga, Palkia and Cresselia)? Thanks again!

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
(Not sure if this has been answered) Have you tried Thunder Spiking with Pikachu? Can it still be done or no?

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
Hey did any of you guys get a chance to play Olimar!?

I haven't heard much about him besides the leaked Alph alt. Thanks so much for doing this!

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
This sounds more like hitlag to me than hitstun. Hitlag actually wouldn't be a good thing as it would give people more time to react and DI/SDI accordingly. This was a problem in Brawl for quite a few attacks (notably Marth's tippers, Falcon's knee, and Zelda's kicks). It makes the moves feel good to hit with but the drawback is it gives the opponent a much higher chance of survivability. Then again, with DI/SDI being said to be weaker than Brawl and Melee maybe it won't matter much at all.
Hitlag in Smash 4 is huge, or at least it was in the E3/SDCC demo. The actual problem with Brawl, though, isn't that the SDI windows are too long, it's that there are multipliers on the amount of SDI you can perform, and the multiplier tends to be higher rather than lower on the intermediate hits of multi-hitting moves. For example, the multi-hit portion of Mario's DAir in Brawl has a 1.5x SDI multiplier, which makes it way easy to escape.

Last edited:

passthefood

Smash Rookie
Didn't check his colors but he has no alternative costumes, all just recolors of his basic costume as far as I can remember.

Ike honestly felt the same as he does in Brawl with faster run speed.
I see. Do you remember any of them? And thanks so much man. *salutes*

D

Deleted member

Does Greninja have a green color? If so, what shade of green is it? Light or dark?

Aaronrules380

Smash Rookie
Going to ask again: How did Shulk feel to play as, and how noticable were the effects of each mode change?

Niala

Smash Ace
Based on past Smash Bros. installments, it appears that ALL characters that Sakurai reveals before releasing a Smash Bros. installment will be starters. The only exceptions have been Solid Snake and Sonic for Brawl, and it seems that Lucina is an unlockable character for Smash 4.
It's also true that in all previous installments, characters like Luigi and Marth have been unlockable. One way or another, a precedent will be disturbed.

mojack

Smash Rookie
One little nugget of information that I don't think Zipzo has mentioned about Robin. My friend was playing against a level 9 CPU as Robin the the single player booth. During the match he used up all his charges of Levin Sword at which point Robin automatically throws the sword away. Here's the fun part, though. The CPU actually grabbed the sword out of the air before it hit the ground and disappeared. Stunned in shock, my friend then took a levin sword to the face and was KO'd at about 70% give or take. So yes, you can grab Robins sword after he throws it away. Not sure about hit spell books, though.

TheZapp

Smash Journeyman
Watch your attitude kid, there's no need to get haughty or pass condescending remarks. Keep your comments to yourself if are going to be a jerk. You weren't the one I was speaking with, speak when spoken to
Speak when spoken to? 10/10
What are you my teacher? Im simply stating the truth/obvious which is that is wolf is a fox skin, wolf will not be in the game

Revven

FrankerZ
Hmmm...I did say that I was unsure of Tornado's priority, and I still am. Meta-Knight exploration may be high on my list tomorrow as well. It was not Brawl tornado though. I can assure you that.

This kinda falls in line with the first bit.
Hrm, that's what I figured. Well, when you go again definitely mess around with it some more and try to get your opponents to hit you out of your tornado.

That's a good guess. I was going to say after around 60% your opponent seemed to start flying a bit far, giving you little room to miss frames on a follow up before your hit stun wore off.
Yiiikes, doesn't sound like combos into fishers will exist then..... which combined with the huge blastzones is a bad sign, IMO.

Chain grabbing is basically now impossible because the throw distance seems to be relatively increased and also sort of lodges the characters too far in the air. DI is definitely in but it's slight. It's definitely there though. Not sure about the timings of tumble state and what not.
Right, I assumed CGing wouldn't be a thing but this is more about seeing if it's like Brawl where you can chain attacks at low% but only because you can't DI them. Best way to test this is by having your opponents try to DI away from jabs (so something like Mario's jab 1, 2, and 3).

Attacking Shields were a lot safer. It was a real street fighter feel in that you could pressure an opponents shield without it being really cheap, akin to pressuring an opponents block. Shields also break easier so you can't just sit there in shield.
So you can pressure shields, meaning there's some amount of shieldstun? Or, were the people that were shielding not even trying to get out/shieldgrab? Just to be extra safe, when you go there again, I'd like you to try and just shield against various moves and try to shieldgrab as quickly as possible. If there's a delay, that means there's likely some shieldstun in the game (which would be really good considering the fact that there was no shieldstun in Brawl lol).

Thanks for answering my questions.

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
It's also true that in all previous installments, characters like Luigi and Marth have been unlockable. One way or another, a precedent will be disturbed.
Past unlockable characters becoming starters isn't as anywhere near as big of a breaking of tradition, though.

It was past time for Marth to be a starter, anyway. Seeing as he's on the cover of the 3DS version I'm certain he is a starter now.

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Speak when spoken to? 10/10
What are you my teacher? Im simply stating the truth/obvious which is that is wolf is a fox skin, wolf will not be in the game
Right so I guess Wario isn't going to make it either because Mario still has a Wario skin right?

Dang and I was really looking forward to playing Wario again. :rolleyes:

TheZapp

Smash Journeyman
You don't know that for certain, but at the same time he was extremely rude.
You are right, but the fact that he called me rude just makes him a hypocrite.
And yes its not for certain but I would say 99% chance wolf is not in. and dont get me wrong, its not that I dont want him in its just that the fact he is a skin really decreases his chances

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
TELL ME THE NEW COLORS.
ALL OF THEM.

TheZapp

Smash Journeyman
Right so I guess Wario isn't going to make it either because Mario still has a Wario skin right?

Dang and I was really looking forward to playing Wario again. :rolleyes:
Come on Q.Q, thats not what I meant. The wolf skin is a palette swap not just colours xD

Top Bottom