• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sorry for crashing Smashboards. I'm Zipzo. I played the release build demo of Smash 4. AMA!

• Thread starter Deleted member 245254
  • Start date

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
And none of this is new or useful information.
I mean I'm just saying why bother to do an update section on Zelda when you gave nothing new or insightful?

Yes we know what her N air looks like, it's been the same for the last 2 games
Yes we know lightning kicks are strong.
Yes we know Farore's has an initial hitbox
Yes we know she's a glass canon.

If you're going to be delivering tea I would prefer it not to the this stale and cold.
But did the Lightning Kicks do the same percentage in Melee and Brawl? Even though she has been consistently floaty, isn't there a chance for that to change in each installment? Was the landing lag always low for Melee and Brawl, and how does the landing lag in Smash 4 compare to the landing lag of Zelda's previous outings? Albeit Shaya's detail on teleport was a bit vague on terms of launching, doesn't the word "launch" imply that the initial hit of Farore's does more knockback than previous outings? And yeah Nair is the same, but I don't recall seeing it mentioned in Zelda Smash 4 boards (which is more my own fault, but still). Not everything factual is going to be exciting. That's why scientific articles can be about an interesting subject but boring as hell to read

Azizibesmashing

Smash Apprentice
Your image pix are just so edgy I can't handle it.

I was reporting info as I saw it and I do not main every single character in the game, so I simply spoke of what I thought to be notable from playing each character. If you don't feel like the information is useful that's great, but it seems wholly apparent that there was plenty for many others to like in a lot of my information overall.

If you like, you can watch my stream on the release day and request any odd mechanic testing you want and I will do it live. Deal?
people are just ungrateful sometimes lol
TRUST i know

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
The more reasonable explanation is that you can only have 1 Gordo out at a time, but when I spammed it I noticed that every other swing did not deploy a Gordo.
Ok that makes a lot more sense, thank you for clarifying. So How did the Gordos perform? They seem like they might be a pretty good pressure tool for Dedede, can you throw them in the air? and if you do how far down do they fall? And was it relatively quick or kinda laggy?

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Sis Bowser is ugly and fat no matter what color he's in

I hope none of you are using ha for his physical appearance.

Let's get to some more important questions.

Do Sheik's needles function like in Brawl or Melee?

Did you get to use her new side b or down b?
I see the self promotion sis.
Stop being such a jerk. Why can you just be respectful to others? We are trying to respect you at the same time, yet you don't appear to care. Please just respect us, and then we will respect you.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Why are people being so mean to the guy? Come on....he didn't have to do any of this for us...
Please be respectful towards him...

D

Deleted member 245254

What i mean is that if Palutena is overpowered.
No, the balance of Smash 4 (from what I played) is another element of it that makes it feel similar to Project M for me. Describing the newcomers in Smash 4 it's easy to read and think "Omg OP" but actually it's really just that the development team has done such fantastic work at creating utterly unique characters and touching up veterans to feel the same way.

Balance was one of my least concerns while playing at the event.

My biggest concern overall was that of the blast zones but not many others seem to share that concern so *shrug.

oGr33n

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3050-7615-9118
You know, I just thought of something.

If let's say, we have that one unconfirmed stage left...then how are somewhat expected characters like Duck Hunt Dog, Mach Rider, and Chorus Men going to be on the roster together. Have we ever had a character who's introduced into smash and has not also gotten their own themed stage?

EDIT: I mean a newcomer from a new franchise.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
No, the balance of Smash 4 (from what I played) is another element of it that makes it feel similar to Project M for me. Describing the newcomers in Smash 4 it's easy to read and think "Omg OP" but actually it's really just that the development team has done such fantastic work at creating utterly unique characters and touching up veterans to feel the same way.

Balance was one of my least concerns while playing at the event.

My biggest concern overall was that of the blast zones but not many others seem to share that concern so *shrug.
mostly because i believe that we cant do much about the blast zones this point in time. so i guess the meta will just grow around it. or their encouraging you to jump off the edge to kill the opponent.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
How am I being a jerk?

Is Bowser not both fat and ugly?
Here is how:
Sis Bowser is ugly and fat no matter what color he's in

I hope none of you are using ha for his physical appearance.

Let's get to some more important questions.

Do Sheik's needles function like in Brawl or Melee?

Did you get to use her new side b or down b?
First off, you act like your questions are more important than everyone else's. Everyone has questions to ask so let them be. The next part is another rude sentence:
I see the self promotion sis.
He is not "self promoting" Just because he is not being able to answer your question does not mean that he is trying to take advantage of views.
Good grief. Just ask the question at the stinking stream. I am trying to be respectful, but I do not understand how you cannot see how rude you are being. :/

D

Deleted member 245254

sorry if you answered this but were you able to try run stop cancel?
Sorry, could you elaborate on exactly what it is you're referring to?

@Zipzo So how fast was Monado Speed?
Shulk is not like Marth, his swinging and combat speed lies more inbetween Ike and Marth. Very medium.

Very much offset from the fact his Monado abilities have pretty intense range.

If by Monado speed you mean the switching mechanic? You can do it on the fly.

Last edited by a moderator:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Shulk is not like Marth, his swinging and combat speed lies more inbetween Ike and Marth. Very medium.

Very much offset from the fact his Monado abilities have pretty intense range.

xD I think he was referring to the speed he runs in the "Speed Form"....
Like, is he as fast as Sonic?

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Sorry, could you elaborate on exactly what it is you're referring to?
Or dash canceling but it is a rumored new tech where you are able to dash, stop your dash (via not tilting in the direction anymore) than use a d tilt f tilf or d smash f smash immediately like it cuts the animation of your run stopping.(ur also sliding when doing it)
BUt i guess since you do not know the tech you probably don't know. but all's well.

D

Deleted member 245254

Or dash canceling but it is a rumored new tech where you are able to dash, stop your dash (via not tilting in the direction anymore) than use a d tilt f tilf or d smash f smash immediately like it cuts the animation of your run stopping.(ur also sliding when doing it)
BUt i guess since you do not know the tech you probably don't know. but all's well.
Are you talking about running smashes like in Brawl or pivot canceling? Both are in.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Are you talking about running smashes like in Brawl or pivot canceling? Both are in.
Well the input exactly like brawls but u can do it during the stopping animation basically its more effective. but thanks awesome to know that's in anyway

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I'm particularly interested in Peach Palette swaps, Zelda swaps, and ZZ swaps. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated.

An idea would be if some kind soul were to see all the questions asked in this thread and gather the answers to them, so we can make a document or spoiler tab of what has already been discussed. (Not you Zipzo haha, you've done enough)

Xeiros

Smash Cadet
No. Monado Speed is one of its 5 Artes. He wanted to know how quickly shulk moves when in that mode. That's all.

MangoTwist

Smash Apprentice
Could you tell if the veterans' victory themes are still being reused from Brawl or are they brand new? The E3 demo used Brawl victory themes

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
I figure I should ask about my one current gripe with the game since I have a chance to right now.

In past Smash games, as in 64 and Melee, if you were in the middle of dashing/running(I'm going to refer to both collectively as running), and then proceeded to jump, the horizontal speed you had while running would carry over to your jump, allowing your character to launch forward considerable distances. This kind of mechanic was also recreated in Project M.

In Brawl, however, if you went from a run to a jump, your horizontal air velocity would immediately become your character's designated 'maximum horizontal air speed,' in the event that character's running speed was faster than their maximum horizontal air speed. For a lot of characters in Brawl, dash speeds weren't terribly speedy so it wasn't that big of a deal. For faster characters, though, like Falcon, Sheik, Sonic, Meta Knight, etc., this was an extremely jarring transition of speed that took a lot of 'oomph' out of their gameplay at times.

Unfortunately, this mechanic was still present in the E3 demo build of Smash 4.

For all the gameplay and physics changes we've heard about Smash 4, I'm really stoked for the future of this game, but it's this one mechanic that's been nagging me this whole time. Since we've heard about numerous changes between the E3 build and the release build, I'd like to ask about this one and see if this has been changed too.

Test this with a fast character like Sonic. When you go from running at full steam to a jump, what happens to that character? Do they keep their speed or do they inexplicably slow down?

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I figure I should ask about my one current gripe with the game since I have a chance to right now.

In past Smash games, as in 64 and Melee, if you were in the middle of dashing/running(I'm going to refer to both collectively as running), and then proceeded to jump, the horizontal speed you had while running would carry over to your jump, allowing your character to launch forward considerable distances. This kind of mechanic was also recreated in Project M.

In Brawl, however, if you went from a run to a jump, your horizontal air velocity would immediately become your character's designated 'maximum horizontal air speed,' in the event that character's running speed was faster than their maximum horizontal air speed. For a lot of characters in Brawl, dash speeds weren't terribly speedy so it wasn't that big of a deal. For faster characters, though, like Falcon, Sheik, Sonic, Meta Knight, etc., this was an extremely jarring transition of speed that took a lot of 'oomph' out of their gameplay at times.

For all the gameplay and physics changes we've heard about Smash 4, I'm really stoked for the future of this game, but it's this one mechanic that's been nagging me this whole time. Since we've heard about numerous changes between the E3 build and the release build, I'd like to ask about this one and see if this has been changed too.

Test this with a fast character like Sonic. When you go from running at full steam to a jump, what happens to that character? Do they keep their speed or do they inexplicably slow down?
This has already been answered.
Unfortunately, no....it still retains that particular physic/trait from Brawl...

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64

Could you show some GIF comparisons of Melee/64 and Brawl?? I can't exactly visualize what you mean

Toadallstar2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BadInfluenceX
Thank you for your continued commentary and involvement. :)

Appreciated the info you gave on Zelda's kicks and Up+B.
I was wondering if you saw Nayru's or Din's in action and how you thought they differed from Brawl/Melee.
Any information on Nair would be cool too.
Hopefully all her attacks connect better, that was a big problem in previous releases.

Thanks once more.
I'll quote this from a day or two as I still wonder.
Ignore if there is no information or insight on any of this.
Sorry for the bombardment of some. It's odd because every other Zelda I met is quite friendly.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Well, it's just a tad upsetting. Momentum feels good in any game, y'know what I mean?
Of course, I could never really adjust to the fact that I loose all momentum when I jumped in Brawl, but I suppose certain characters have the advantage with this perk...

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
So what were all of Megaman's colors..? Based on what I've seen, I only have confirmation on Blue, Red, Green, Brown, Yellow+Black, and I recall hearing about a Blue+White. That's only 6.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I tried Villager at the Best Buy demo and thought he was a very solid character. However, I'd like some of your opinions:
  • His D-Smash is the shovel where he can bury his opponent. How effective is this move and how easy are the follow ups? Can you potentially grab someone if you time it right?

• Some speculated that the Pocket ability increases the speed and power of the "stolen" move, were you able to notice this?

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Hey @Zipzo ya missed my follow-up question (no problem ofc):

What about Lucario's F-air made it fun? & Is it reminiscing to his Brawl version or Project M version?

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Hey @Zipzo ya missed my follow-up question (no problem ofc):

What about Lucario's F-air made it fun? & Is it reminiscing to his Brawl version or Project M version?
wait dose zipzo own the game? or just has the release demo knowledge.
cuz i believe there was no lucina in the demo he played.

wait dose zipzo own the game? or just has the release demo knowledge.
cuz i believe there was no lucina in the demo he played.
woops miss read never mind. oh crap i ment to edit my bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom