• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Sora Unlocks the Door! The Sora Social Thread

Sora's chances of getting in?

• Total voters

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
I have a question for you Sora fans.

How would feel if Sora was playable, but that's all the Kingdom Heart content in the game. No stages, no trophies aside from the ones every playable character has and no music aside from his victory theme.

Obviously this would be done to avoid using Disney specific content.
I'd still be in tears watching the announcement trailer and riding that high for months until the game comes out, though I'd rather have stages and music too.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord

How would feel if Sora was playable, but that's all the Kingdom Heart content in the game. No stages, no trophies aside from the ones every playable character has and no music aside from his victory theme.

To avoid using Disney content, Sora's keyblade would have to be changed because his iconic Kingdom Key has a Mickey Mouse keychain.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
To avoid using Disney content, Sora's keyblade would have to be changed because his iconic Kingdom Key has a Mickey Mouse keychain.
They can just attach the kingdom hearts crown to the keychain instead, I don't think many if any would care for such a minor change if it means Sora in smash. Through my time of playing KH id say that having the 'original' Keyblade is a must if he is a character and if they just got rid of the keychain altogether I still wouldn't see a problem, each skin could even have a different keyblade (though same hitbox and size/shape) or maybe one of his moves could cycle through keyblades like in KH3.

In conclusion not having mickey mouse brand on a keychain really has no effect on me and would be fine with or without.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well I always used the Kingdom Key because it's his canon Keyblade that he is shown using the most. It would be weird to see him appear in Smash with a Keyblade like the Ultima Weapon, Oath Keeper, Star Seeker, Three Wishes, or anything that's not the Kingdom Key. And if he does come in with the Kingdom Key, the Mickey keychain should be attached to it. When he appeared in World of Final Fantasy, his Keyblade still had that Disney trademarked shape hanging off it. And even if you don't care, there could be some nitpicky people who wouldn't like him without that keychain. People rioted over Sonic 4 because of Sonic's eye color and design matches his modern appearance instead of the classic games. If they had to avoid anything Disney, Sora can't be in because Disney owns him and his games are full of Disney characters. You know how Smash 4 made so much attention to detail that Lucina has this mark in her eye that you can only see when you zoom in and look closely? If they did something like that, they would likely include the Mickey.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

I don't know. I'd expect Sora to come with Hollow Bastion, Twilight Town, or Destiny Islands if he was playable with at least two songs.

It'd be awesome he was in the game but I would want more of course.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I don't know. I'd expect Sora to come with Hollow Bastion, Twilight Town, or Destiny Islands if he was playable with at least two songs.

Speaking of, which of those would be your ideal stage?

My choice would be Twilight Town, no question.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Honestly, I doubt the Mickey Mouse head would be a problem. Doesn't Sora have it in other crossovers?
Yeah. But don't forget that Sora himself is owned by Disney and Square Enix, meaning an inclusion in a crossover requires Disney's consent. And they'd probably wouldn't want the Mickey keychain removed. But Sora's inclusion with Disney's permission really does open the door for Mickey Mouse himself appearing in Smash.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Yeah. But don't forget that Sora himself is owned by Disney and Square Enix, meaning an inclusion in a crossover requires Disney's consent. And they'd probably wouldn't want the Mickey keychain removed. But Sora's inclusion with Disney's permission really does open the door for Mickey Mouse himself appearing in Smash.
Oh, I know. My point is that I don't think Disney would approve of Sora and not include his keychain.

In regards to Mickey, I could actually see it. Nintendo's really closer with Disney than some people think, with Nintendo's first character-based products being Disney playing cards in Japan, even. Like, 1930s, iirc.

The only other fourth party with that much of a connection to Nintendo is Popeye, who Nintendo originally wanted to use for Donkey Kong alongside Olive Oyl and Bluto. The rejection led to them creating the similar trio of Mario, Donkey Kong, and Pauline, and they later aquired the rights to do a Popeye arcade game too, alongside other merchandise.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
No. No it doesn't. When will you get it through your head? Sakurai has confirmed that non-video game characters will NOT be included. Just stop.

ribbit

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
No. No it doesn't. When will you get it through your head? Sakurai has confirmed that non-video game characters will NOT be included. Just stop.

ribbit
Well, even if King Mickey doesn't appear, Sora would still be bringing his signature to Smash.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sora is only owned by Disney.

Mickey could potentially appear... as more of a cameo role at best, like a Trophy. As of now, according to Sakurai's guidelines, he won't be playable as is. Whether or not Mickey could be an AT is hard to say, but unlikely too. Even a trophy isn't that likely. That said, if he was given a "give Mickey a trophy or no Sora?" situation? He's going to just have the trophy there because it's frankly not that big of a deal. It's ultimately pedantic to act like a trophy means anything beyond that. Sakurai doesn't play those kind of dumb games. He's solely referring to playable characters in context, and we all know that. As we've seen with him easily referencing the Pokemon anime in either trophy designs or literally the text, it's clear he isn't nearly that bent up over stuff like this as people think he is. If he cared that much, we wouldn't have a Misty trophy that specifically is the anime design(as the game artwork is very very different, which would be the more logical model to recreate if he cared that much about pure game only for everything. Besides him using the anime to inspire some movesets, it's already been hard proven that his main goal of game-only characters is a key case for 3rd party playable characters. Key term being "playable").

Besides that, it'd probably be King Mickey's design, which is game-based, or the Epic Mickey design, for the same reason. Let's not forget that one of Cloud's costumes is literally from an animated movie, not a game. He didn't say no to that despite it not being specifically from a game, after all. Another neat example is Sonic's dark costume. It's not remotely like Shadow's and much more closely resembles the Dark Super Sonic design from Sonic X. But if people want to argue that one, DK also has a costume similar to a character in the old cartoon(Eddy the Mean Old Yeti), which barely looking like anything else(Sakurai referring him official as Yeti DK on the Brawl Dojo should seal the deal here).

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman

I think a Hollow Bastion stage could be cool (then they can just say its a final fantasy stage (double whammy)) it could function similar to the fire emblem stage so it transitions from radiant garden to hollow bastion.

personally though destiny island all the way (mainly for the music, its definitely the most nostalgic KH song for me, that or traverse town).

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
In terms of the whole Sora thing, obviously I doubt that Reddit leak. But for devil’s advocate sake, one thing nobody has really brought up.

When Wreck It Ralph came out originally, Disney wanted Mario to appear in the movie. Nintendo’s price was astronomically high for Mario (and I believe even higher if they wanted him to talk in the movie rather than just show up in the background or something). That’s why only Bowser was in the movie—he was cheaper than Mario. Disney wasnt going to fork over that kind of cash for a new, untested franchise.

Now, Wreck It Ralph 2 is coming out and there have been rumblings for a while about Mario makin an appearance in the film. There’s always the possibility that when Nintendo approached Disney, or vice versa, a deal was struck where Disney gets Mario in Wreck It Ralph 2, and Nintendo gets Sora in Smash Bros.

Almost certainly didn’t happen, but it’s posisble.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
In terms of the whole Sora thing, obviously I doubt that Reddit leak. But for devil’s advocate sake, one thing nobody has really brought up.

When Wreck It Ralph came out originally, Disney wanted Mario to appear in the movie. Nintendo’s price was astronomically high for Mario (and I believe even higher if they wanted him to talk in the movie rather than just show up in the background or something). That’s why only Bowser was in the movie—he was cheaper than Mario. Disney wasnt going to fork over that kind of cash for a new, untested franchise.

Now, Wreck It Ralph 2 is coming out and there have been rumblings for a while about Mario makin an appearance in the film. There’s always the possibility that when Nintendo approached Disney, or vice versa, a deal was struck where Disney gets Mario in Wreck It Ralph 2, and Nintendo gets Sora in Smash Bros.

Almost certainly didn’t happen, but it’s posisble.
I guess they can trade a Mario appearance in Wreck-It-Ralph 2 for a Sora appearance in Smash. But it's also possible that instead of Sora, they got Wreck-It-Ralph or Mickey for Smash. I'm pretty sure the video game character only rule was just for the Ballot so that people don't vote for a character that's so complicated to get the rights to or any character that doesn't feel right for Smash. Sakurai wanted James Bond in Melee but couldn't get the necessary rights. I'm sure that if Disney offered Wreck-It-Ralph, Mickey, Elsa, Donald, Goofy, Hercules, Aladdin, Tron, Jack Skellington, Captain Jack Sparrow, Tinker Bell, Cinderella, Snow White, Buzz Lightyear, Darth Vader, Iron Man, or any popular Disney character and everyone needed to license that character agreed to it, Sakurai may be happy to put the character in Smash. But if he refuses the likes of Mickey Mouse, it's not very likely for him to put Sora in because Sora is friends with Mickey and has Mickey's logo on his Keyblade. Sakurai needs to be open to the idea of Disney properties for Sora to be in Smash.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I guess they can trade a Mario appearance in Wreck-It-Ralph 2 for a Sora appearance in Smash. But it's also possible that instead of Sora, they got Wreck-It-Ralph or Mickey for Smash. I'm pretty sure the video game character only rule was just for the Ballot so that people don't vote for a character that's so complicated to get the rights to or any character that doesn't feel right for Smash. Sakurai wanted James Bond in Melee but couldn't get the necessary rights. I'm sure that if Disney offered Wreck-It-Ralph, Mickey, Elsa, Donald, Goofy, Hercules, Aladdin, Tron, Jack Skellington, Captain Jack Sparrow, Tinker Bell, Cinderella, Snow White, Buzz Lightyear, Darth Vader, Iron Man, or any popular Disney character and everyone needed to license that character agreed to it, Sakurai may be happy to put the character in Smash. But if he refuses the likes of Mickey Mouse, it's not very likely for him to put Sora in because Sora is friends with Mickey and has Mickey's logo on his Keyblade. Sakurai needs to be open to the idea of Disney properties for Sora to be in Smash.
No, Sakurai has outright stated he doesn't want non-video game characters for Smash. At least for 3rd parties and in context of Smash 4. It's part of why the Mii Fighters exist, to take care of those kinds of wants.

Of course, Smash Switch could have unique guidelines and he could change his mind, but for now, we're going with the assumption that's not the case, especially for the rules of this forum. As for the update, yeah, characters created for a non-game franchise like The Apprentice won't be allowed threads(as noted, that could potentially change depending upon what Smash Switch brings).

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
No, Sakurai has outright stated he doesn't want non-video game characters for Smash. At least for 3rd parties and in context of Smash 4. It's part of why the Mii Fighters exist, to take care of those kinds of wants.

Of course, Smash Switch could have unique guidelines and he could change his mind, but for now, we're going with the assumption that's not the case, especially for the rules of this forum. As for the update, yeah, characters created for a non-game franchise like The Apprentice won't be allowed threads(as noted, that could potentially change depending upon what Smash Switch brings).
Don't even bother trying to reason with that guy. All he does is keep going in circles.

Frankly, I'm about ready to block the guy as he is really pissing me off now.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Let's be respectful to other users. If you don't like what they're saying, you can opt not to reply. Taking potshots at other users or intentionally trying to attack their person is not allowed.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Let's be respectful to other users. If you don't like what they're saying, you can opt not to reply. Taking potshots at other users or intentionally trying to attack their person is not allowed.
I'm not taking any potshots at him. He's literally not contributing anything to the discussion. He's repeating the exact same thing, over and over again, despite the fact we've told him why his reasoning is flawed.

Please do not take this as me being aggressive towards you either. I'm simply stating what he's doing.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm not taking any potshots at him. He's literally not contributing anything to the discussion. He's repeating the exact same thing, over and over again, despite the fact we've told him why his reasoning is flawed.

Please do not take this as me being aggressive towards you either. I'm simply stating what he's doing.
Then report it and let the moderation handle it. We'll keep it on-topic as necessary. Telling people to ignore another user just comes off as unnecessary. The moderation knows how to handle that kind of situation in general, as we have better suggestions than just "stop replying to the user".

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Then report it and let the moderation handle it. We'll keep it on-topic as necessary. Telling people to ignore another user just comes off as unnecessary. The moderation knows how to handle that kind of situation in general, as we have better suggestions than just "stop replying to the user".
As you wish, Herr Tyrran.

*ahem* Regarding Sora in Smash, and I feel I'm probably alone in this, but I actually don't want a lot of his more flashy/powerful techniques in his kit like Ars Arcanum or Ragnorok; I feel they'd be difficult to implement into a 3D setting. I feel like SSF2 has done a spectacular job translating Sora into Smash and this would be the ideal way to represent him in official Smash (though I know they never would do so.)

But what do you think?

ribbit ribbit

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I like Sora, but it's hard to see his chances when Disney properties have to be avoided. But ignoring that Disney elephant in the room, maybe Ragnarok could make a great Final Smash. And maybe some things they did for Super Smash Flash could work, I don't know. I don't play mods. Maybe his costumes could be from KH1, KH2, KH3D and KH3. Aerial Sweep would be a great up special, though it may be similar to Link's Spin Attack. Guard may be a good downspecial if it is followed by a Counter, though the Fire Emblem characters seem to do that.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I like Sora, but it's hard to see his chances when Disney properties have to be avoided. But ignoring that Disney elephant in the room, maybe Ragnarok could make a great Final Smash. And maybe some things they did for Super Smash Flash could work, I don't know. I don't play mods. Maybe his costumes could be from KH1, KH2, KH3D and KH3. Aerial Sweep would be a great up special, though it may be similar to Link's Spin Attack. Guard may be a good downspecial if it is followed by a Counter, though the Fire Emblem characters seem to do that.
Super Smash Flash is a fangame not a mod.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Fangames, mods, whatever. Also if The Apprentice won't be allowed a thread because he's created for a Star Wars game, then how is this thread allowed if Sora is created for a Disney game?

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Fangames, mods, whatever. Also if The Apprentice won't be allowed a thread because he's created for a Star Wars game, then how is this thread allowed if Sora is created for a Disney game?
Sora is owned by Disney and collaborates with Disney IP, but he exists within the Kingdom Hearts universe, which originates as a video game. I dont know much about the Apprentice, but I'm sure he exists only within the Star Wars universe.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Please stop talking about other character thread ideas here. Unless they're Kingdom Hearts-related. It's a derail. Last verbal warning.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
ANYWAY.

I think Sora would work best as a combo fighter, but are we thinking more grounded or aerial based? And what about magic in his moveset? It may seem generic to have Fire, Blizzard, and Thunder as specials but they certainly would work.

Mewtader

Smash Cadet
Only a few more days until Sora is hopefully revealed!! Can you guys imagine the hype that would generate?

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I highly doubt E3 would reveal Sora as Disney's hold on him and Sakurai not wanting characters from licensed games make it unlikely for him to be in Smash. It would be more probable if he was DLC made in a game update. E3 would show veterans and reveal newcomers like the Inklings. The Kingdom Hearts content would be a new trailer for Kingdom Hearts III. Then again, anything is possible and I could be wrong. But unless you have a leak saying that Sora would be revealed as a Super Smash Bros newcomer at E3, it's wishful thinking.

timrtabor123

Smash Rookie
A potential hurdle i'm surprised people don't bring up: Disney might have an issue with Sora(and whatever Disney cameos he may bring with him) sharing screentime with M rated characters like Bayonetta and Snake (if he returns).

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
A potential hurdle i'm surprised people don't bring up: Disney might have an issue with Sora(and whatever Disney cameos he may bring with him) sharing screentime with M rated characters like Bayonetta and Snake (if he returns).
Honestly, given the dark nature of Kingdom Hearts, I don't think they care what's done to Sora.

Mickey, on the other hand...

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Im keen for a smash announcement for Sora, hopefully accompanied by the release of KH2.8 (first and second KH games) on the switch with the follow up of KH3 next year (Id definitely wait to get it on the switch as Im sure my PS4 (non pro) would struggle a little). HYPE!!!

Realistically though I can see this as a possibility, Sora has been on nintendo consoles before and would be a welcome addition for the switch, come on nintendo grab that money.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Maybe, in the scenario Square Enix finds a studio to port the game this year. Unreal Engine 4's new capabilities still have to be updated for Switch. It is why DQ11's Switch was delayed. KH3 port has a 10% chance of happening.

Last edited:
Top Bottom