• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic's worst matchup

ep1c_marf

Smash Apprentice
What do you guys think of the ivy match up ? I would think her side b could give sonic alot of trouble

NickLeo

Smash Apprentice
From my experience, Ivy wins the neutral because of razor leaf and much better spacing but the second ivy is hit in the air sonic can continuously Uair until shes dead. (Uair beats Dair and Uair body spike) Feels decently even to me. Sonic mostly wants to avoid giving ivysaur any room to set up

What are your guys' opinions on the wolf MU?

Last edited:

Simmonick

Smash Cadet
Title says it all
What do you guys think sonic's worst/most difficult matchup is at the moment?
Falco. The laser and u-tilt is a pain to go fast against also Mario, the fireballs are hard to deal wit, you have to play a very evasive sonic. And Mario's return is hard to gimp in my experience.

Last edited:

internetmovieguy

Smash Apprentice
Which character do you guys think would be the best secondary (counterpick) against bad matchups for sonic?

Also, what do you think about Sonic vs Wario matchup? I think its in wario's favor because his side B can beat all your aproaches, even if you jump he can still follow you jumping whit his really strong shoulder.
Try Pit or Metaknight.

Kerfuffle

Smash Apprentice
I have big problems with the Kirby matchup. Could definitely use some tips, I got bopped by two Kirby players last night and just can't figure him out.

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
I have big problems with the Kirby matchup. Could definitely use some tips, I got bopped by two Kirby players last night and just can't figure him out.
That I don't know how to explain I only played a Kirby Main yesterday and I did fine so IDK

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
I need help with the Toon Link Matchup my Sonic got 3 stocked almost all the matches My Secondary Diddy Kong got 2 stocked and My other Secondary Snake got 3 stocked too

Kerfuffle

Smash Apprentice
I need help with the Toon Link Matchup my Sonic got 3 stocked almost all the matches My Secondary Diddy Kong got 2 stocked and My other Secondary Snake got 3 stocked too
When I used to secondary Tink, what would always get me is an opponent who was always in my face (Roy, Sonic, Falco) Any Tink's go-to defense against being juggled is dair, so try and bait that out when he's above you. Go in on him after he gets rid of a bomb, and once you get him off stage, it's as simple as taking the ledge and waiting for the tether. Just remember to get right in his face and give him no time to set up 'rangs and bombs.

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
I have been doing so. I've been getting it like 50% of the time, but sometimes I'll neutral B and I'll run into Fox's Up+B hit box (I've been practicing it vs Fox)
After you do one Homing Attack you must nair same thing for Wolf, Falco is so easy

Piefrenzy

Smash Cadet
After you do one Homing Attack you must nair same thing for Wolf, Falco is so easy
Okay, I remember when I was watching videos trying to learn it I saw people do that. But I kept messing my naris (still am) so I changed to spam Homing Attack. My main problem right now is when I Homing Attack I don't always have good positioning on Fox and sometimes I won't knock him down, just towards the stage or something. This makes it even harder for me to nair than Homing Attack. I've been practicing it a little and I definitely see nair as the best choice, but it's much more difficult.

Edit: now I'm running into Fox's up+B with nair as well. Pretty much nothing has changed. The only difference I see between nair and neutral B is it takes one or two extra neutral B, which increases room for error. Nair requires no follow up but is harder to land.

Last edited:

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
Okay, I remember when I was watching videos trying to learn it I saw people do that. But I kept messing my naris (still am) so I changed to spam Homing Attack. My main problem right now is when I Homing Attack I don't always have good positioning on Fox and sometimes I won't knock him down, just towards the stage or something. This makes it even harder for me to nair than Homing Attack. I've been practicing it a little and I definitely see nair as the best choice, but it's much more difficult.

Edit: now I'm running into Fox's up+B with nair as well. Pretty much nothing has changed. The only difference I see between nair and neutral B is it takes one or two extra neutral B, which increases room for error. Nair requires no follow up but is harder to land.
Also off stage dair is another choice

Piefrenzy

Smash Cadet
Holy sherbet. I didn't win a single game at Tipped Off 10. I literally felt like every character I played against (Jiggs, Diddy, Mario, Wario, ZSS, and Lucario) I was out reached and out sped. I literally could barely get a stock off of all of them but Lucario who I just threw against. The most fun and least fun I have had. Does anyone have any experience with these match ups?

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
Holy sherbet. I didn't win a single game at Tipped Off 10. I literally felt like every character I played against (Jiggs, Diddy, Mario, Wario, ZSS, and Lucario) I was out reached and out sped. I literally could barely get a stock off of all of them but Lucario who I just threw against. The most fun and least fun I have had. Does anyone have any experience with these match ups?
Yea besides Lucario and just played a Puff today SoulPech to good got 2 stocked and I got my ass whooped by Boss got 3 stocked

Piefrenzy

Smash Cadet
Yea besides Lucario and just played a Puff today SoulPech to good got 2 stocked and I got my *** whooped by Boss got 3 stocked
Yeah I was in Pool 1 with Hungrybox. I literally got 4 stocked almost half of my games. Then I went and watched Wizzrobe but I literally didn't understand what I needed to do different. I think I'm just bad, because to me he just shields and runs a lot. Which I tried, but I still got rekt

Honestly, I thought I somewhat understood Sonic. Now I have no idea what I'm doing or how to play this character. I'm kinda sad.

Last edited:

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Sonic gets bopped by spacies, and Sonic bops spacies, it's a horridly even matchup if you don't have a stunning laser and the ability to throw out a 17-frame spike. Seriously, a Falco with a stable and present laser game is going to ruin Sonic. The more I play the more I enjoy playing spacies, but Falco remains a difficult matchup and one that is so outside his favor in neutral it's ridiculous. I don't even bring Falco to FD anymore, chaingrab be damned, you need to be able to weave through platforms to make any sort of headway against him.

Now, if you do catch a spacie and drag them off the edge with Side-B, it's all a matter of timing your HA, as nair can screw you up and leave you in a bad position - the only spacie that can't capitalize on a mistake here with 13 years of metagame development is Wolf, and you'll not run into many of them. The best thing to do is to start your homing attack when they double jump. A lot of times they'll need a moment to re-position themselves because, let's be honest, it's weird for everyone down there. Oftentimes I don't need to HA at all, I just follow where they go down there and deliver a bair or rising fair on them and Up-B back from there.

But if you HA too early, they can wait and double jump after you fire, and you'll end up killing yourself as you rocket downwards and they recover safely. If you miss your HA at all, that's suddenly your stock gone, not theirs, due to a shine gimp or dair. It's a hard life for an offstage Sonic, but it's massively in his favor out there.

On stage, eh, it's massively in a spacies' favor. Anyone who claims different is selling you something(or saying Fox is mid-tier which is... laughable).

Personally I've found myself struggling with the Ike matchup again, but then again Lordy's been getting a lot more exposure than me and has been improving in leaps and bounds. I guess it's alright when he's my Doubles teammate and he sees all my new Sonic tricks before Singles starts. That Banana sword is something else.

Kerfuffle

Smash Apprentice
Personally I've found myself struggling with the Ike matchup again, but then again Lordy's been getting a lot more exposure than me and has been improving in leaps and bounds.
I watched you against lordy, and it really didn't look like the matchup was in his favor. He was just playing really smart, and keying on certain things you were doing. I'm sure in time you can be right back at it against him, like you said, he's been improving so much lately.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
One matchup I wanted to talk about is Diddy Kong. In the UK there's a very good Diddy player that has a very banana centric playstyle. I play against him often both in friendlies and in tournament and I've been steadily adapting to the match-up. Previously I'd very often lose to him though at the most recent tournament I finally took a set off him (he choked at a couple of points in the 3rd game though). I've found that with this match-up you have to play it very aggro. Do not give Diddy the opportunity to set up his bananas otherwise you're forced to play his game. You're stuck in neutral and although Sonic's neutral game is excellent I'd argue Diddy's is better. If you see him throw out a banana try to catch it immediately. Sonic with a banana is just as, if not more, terrifying that Diddy with one due to having one of the furthest glide tosses in the game and having a plethora of strong options out of the throw. If you assert control over the bananas or prevent him from getting them out in the first place I'd say Sonic has the advantage due to being able to control the pace of the match better. If you manage to secure a hit on him Diddy's pretty easy to combo due to being a near ideal combo weight/fall speed.

Apart from that be weary of his plethora of quick and relatively strong options both on and offstage. Offstage in particular requires one to exercise caution against Diddy, as a mis-spaced/mis-timed attack could lead to him just grabbing you with Side B and spiking you to your demise. Diddy's Up B can be countered with a well spaced FAir most of the time as FAir hits below the ledge and it's very difficult for Diddy to sweetspot the ledge with his Up B. If he goes above the ledge try to space a UAir to catch him. Though of course, always be weary of his stupid flying barrels upon hitting him out of Up B (seriously those things are next level dumb).

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
I dunno, I didnt have much trouble against Glasgows old Diddy, Homing attack seems to break diddys recovery if they dont release it on time, for the banana play id need to use my brain to get around it and get past it all unharmed instead of my usual balls to the walls play style.

It could have been a case the Diddy generally wasnt that good, but he didnt seem to give me as much trouble as you explained :v

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
I disagree with Link and TL being hard match-ups for Sonic. I'd say they're a lot more even than you're making them out to be. NAir from both stuffs a lot of your approaches, but that just means you have mix up your approach options more. Bait and punish the NAirs and weave around the projectiles. I'd honestly say the match-ups are pretty even.
I'd have to say that he definitely loses to them, but they are relatively close to even. Well at least in 3.02, where Link's boomerang was broken.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I'd have to say that he definitely loses to them, but they are relatively close to even. Well at least in 3.02, where Link's boomerang was broken.
... Isn't link's rang still + on sheild...?

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
... Isn't link's rang still + on sheild...?
In all honesty Idk, I haven't yet played Link vs Sonic yet in this version, but the boomerang was definitely awful. One of my brother's mains is Link, and Sonic is one of my mains, so I had pretty decent MU experience... he still thought Link lost though... Chrome is so salty. LOL.

RedLabel

Smash Rookie
Marth, IMO. High priority quickly spammable attacks, Unreal wavedash, Awesome spacing, and a grab that can pretty much pull sonic out of anything (up b included if you were curious).

Top Bottom