• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic's specials

5ully

Smash Ace
NNID
5ully151
3DS FC
0920-2807-1002
So im new to Project M but ive played some melee but I've mained in Brawl. Ive mastered a lot of the techniques in Brawl and a few in melee. So I decided to watch people play as Sonic in project M...and wow... the movement is amazing from you guys. But i seem so slow when i play. i see alot of the spin dashes but im not always sure on which one they use or iv they're being canceled or not. So here are my big questions:

1. Sonic's Spin "maneuver", A. Can you wavedash out of it? B. Can you cancel it off the stage so i don't plummet to my death after using it? C. I don't see many people using the ->B+A? is that because of the end lag because it seems to have pretty good knockback at higher percentages.

2. Sonic's Spin Dash, A. can you wavedash out of this too? B. Can someone explain the spin dash jump, more or less when i should press jump after i charge? Can this be used off the stage to get back?

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
1) Yes. You can jump cancel (and as a result wavedash out of) Side B but only during a specific time frame (Sonic flashes to indicate when this time frame is, though you'll get used to the timing as muscle memory develops). Whenever you use Side B off a ledge it autocancels into a fall animation allowing you to follow up with an aerial or another special. Finally, the slide kick at the end is rather situational. It's best used by the edge to drive your opponent off and try to gimp them.

2) No you cannot. Infact a lot of the options from Down B are gone to force the player to commit to the move more. However, the spinshot remains in tact from Brawl (the tech where if you press jump at the end of Down B startup you'll enter a double jump action but launch with the momentum of your spindash, travelling at a 45 degree angle). It's a pretty useful recovery tool.

5ully

Smash Ace
NNID
5ully151
3DS FC
0920-2807-1002
1) Yes. You can jump cancel (and as a result wavedash out of) Side B but only during a specific time frame (Sonic flashes to indicate when this time frame is, though you'll get used to the timing as muscle memory develops). Whenever you use Side B off a ledge it autocancels into a fall animation allowing you to follow up with an aerial or another special. Finally, the slide kick at the end is rather situational. It's best used by the edge to drive your opponent off and try to gimp them.

2) No you cannot. Infact a lot of the options from Down B are gone to force the player to commit to the move more. However, the spinshot remains in tact from Brawl (the tech where if you press jump at the end of Down B startup you'll enter a double jump action but launch with the momentum of your spindash, travelling at a 45 degree angle). It's a pretty useful recovery tool.
So Im not sure if that means i can use spindash of the stage or not...

Infil

Smash Journeyman
Can't you jump out of the down B spin after you've launched it (therefore letting you wavedash)?

The fact that all his moves make the same sound effect makes telling the different pretty daunting for people who don't understand the character. I still can't really tell when people are using side B and when they're using down B, except to default to "if they're close to their opponent they're probably using side B, and if they're far away they're probably using down B". I also don't know when people are using neutral B with the homing attack and when they're canceling it into the faster version.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Can't you jump out of the down B spin after you've launched it (therefore letting you wavedash)?

The fact that all his moves make the same sound effect makes telling the different pretty daunting for people who don't understand the character. I still can't really tell when people are using side B and when they're using down B, except to default to "if they're close to their opponent they're probably using side B, and if they're far away they're probably using down B". I also don't know when people are using neutral B with the homing attack and when they're canceling it into the faster version.
You can jump, but 1) it's a spin jump as opposed to a regular jump, so it's still a jump that's tied to the Down B and 2) we deliberately made it so you can't airdodge cancel out of Down B's jump anymore (you could in Brawl and previous versions of PM), thus you cannot wavedash out of Down B at all.

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
So how do you get a grab off of side B? I've seen ppl do it very seamless and in guess you side B, wavedash down, grab. But the wavedash animation takes like a split section to finish to then be able to get to the grab. I've seen ppl side b, grab into shields and you don't even see them land from the wavedash. It just looks like side B to grab.

Am I missing something?

GabPR

Smash Lord
you do a jump cancel grab, after the glow of dragging side b, you press jump and immedietly after press grab. also, all characters can do it while running to do a standing grab instead of a running grab, which is faster with most characters.

Top Bottom