• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tesh

Smash Hero
bowsers jab out ranges sonics jab and is faster than our f tilt.

if bowser clanks with fortress, he can just fortress again, and itll probably beat everything, seeing as it has instant invincibility frames 1-6
What about our frame 5 dash attack, even if he does fortress again, the startup of dash attack will bring us close enough to outspeed him with jab. Dash attack is faster than all of his offensive options he has and it puts us too far away to get punished OoS(unless the ledge is directly behind him, stopping our escape). If I am correct here, first 5 frames do nothing vs invincible Bowser. frame 6 we clank again, congrats we are inside the fortress with a small frame advantage.

Edit: Hehe forgot this is all pure nonsense, frame for frame fortress just trades with grabs and aerials and is invincible during any move thats faster than frame 6. What I should have said is RPS. Fortress beats or resets vs everything except grab, which trades or if u shieldgrab, you win. Shield and wait option for sonic loses to his grab, which sill wreck you.

However unlikely it may be, frame for frame, what can Bowser really do against a Dash attack directly in front of his shield without a wall or ledge blocking our escape.

This is where is all breaks down to who decided to do what during the hit lag of this clank. Does he go greedy for a harder hit and eat the jab/dash attack or does he fortress/shield again for another clank. Do we predict this fortress and shield grab and start a juggle? Does he predict our shield and go for a chain grab? Do we run away and reset the situation? This is all habits and mind games during this moment. Nothing solid here. And despite having the extra option of hightailing it out of the fight without anything to show for it, his rewards are higher if we hesitiate even a couple of frames.

If we hit, I believe his Dair is too slow to hit us and even if it is, its not safe on hit until i think 50%?(landing shock wave vs ending lag)

Sadly, I'm not too knowledgeable about our jab in depth, but how likely is it that he power shields the 2nd or 3rd hit and grabs us? It won't do us any good to make trades early in the stocks.

Can we Jab 1-spring for 7 damage like a wuss and stay safe?
Fortunately, it seems that his frame 9 jump leaves him with little else to work with OoS, all of his aerials are frame 8 or worse so shields stun + 17 and if we can escape the sky we should be safe.

Okay skip forward to mid stock, mistakes have been made, people have been punished hard with CGs and juggles. If ASC shieldstun pulls through maybe we can ASC 1 and 2 + spring to wear down his shield enough for an fair poke to lift him off the ground. I don't think Fair puts us far enough away to be safe even if we jump right through his shield if he doesn't get poked. Hyphen smash could be an option too, but I'm pretty sure you are screwed worse if it doesn't work.

And 4nace if we use that invincible side b, he can still make us clank with a short burst of fire. That we may be able to punish on hit though. This would be risky for him if we have enough time to jump cancel over and land an aerial/start a juggle.

Doesn't look like we have alot of wiggle room from a neutral standing position, most approach are an easy fortress/grab.

Same first edit: For christ sake, fortress OoS can be buffering during sonic's fair and Usmash and it just trades with one of the hits(kinda clanks with Usmash sometimes, I don't get it) Side B and Up B are both broken crazy with the possibilities.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
Sounds like we should take Bowsers to Yoshis and use the invincible frames to our advantage. If we can clang him in fortress then we could jab-grab or f-tilt quicker than most of his reactions then I think.

Could be worth noting if the bowser doesn't know the sonic match-up. might get a few free f-tilts before they figure it out.
NO. just no. the isdr glitch is best against areial attackers and projectile spammers, where the 10% rule usually doesn't apply. bowser's ground moves and fortress will clank, which can be responded with another fortress to counter any offensive retaliation afterwards. tested againt charizard, flamethrower-type moves will be beaten by isdr until the last second. for some reason the 10% rule applies to this portion of the move as it may count as being a part of bowser/charizard. Knowing the matchup or not has nothing to do with Fortress, its a common tactic used Oos in every matchup. You have to be more run oriented in this matchup, as ASC is also a risk due to side B and fair. hoping on the lack of matchup experience against sonic, though in this case is common in today's metagame, is still not advised in the highest levels of play since sonics still must have extensive matchup experience, and still lose, which leads the common "sonic sucks" bandwagon that had sonic low tier in the first place.

vidwatcher4ever

Smash Cadet
I believe that sheik match-up is 50:50 IMO

Bowser.......I really haven't had any experience with competitive Bowsers. Anyone care to have some matches to contribute to the knowledge of the MU?

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Sorry to bring Bowser up again but I've had some matches against my friend's Bowser now and I feel much more informed now. I personally think this match up is 55-45 Bowser. I could even go as far to say 60-40 Bowser. Sonic does not have an advantage here

I don't think people truly appreciate just how much of a pain Bowsers specials are. OoS Fortress is ridiculously good. It can answer a lot of things Sonic can do because of it's invinciblity frames. Grabs, jabs, spindashes, aerials...it's seriously irritating. Sonic's range pales in comparison to Bowser's. Spaced Bairs were the only thing that I wouldn't get OoS Fortressed for and spaced Bairs are crap in this match up anyway. I'm not saying Fortress is impossible to get around but if you don't sheild poke Bowser and you don't space really really well, you're going to be eating OoS Fortress
What's interesting is that a lot of Sonic's move will clank with the Fortress. I found a lot of Sonic's ground attacks (mainly jab and F Tilt) clank with Bowser's fortress when I wasn't right next to Bowser. When I was right next to him after whiffing an attack against his shield, it would get me everytime

Fire, his neutral B...it's actually a pain. Earlier I said spaced Bairs are crap in this match and this is why. Fire will stop nearly all of Sonic's direct approaches. The exception is a perfect arced grounded spin jump (not a vertical spin jump) or an aerial spinshot which allows you to jump right over Bowser and Bair him. Unfortunetly...this kind of projected so Bowser can stop using his fire to ready himself (his only option really though is shield and an OoS Fortress won't reach Sonic...I think)

Side B (Koopa Klaw) - I hate this move when I'm using Peach. I hate it even more when I'm using Sonic. It can grab Sonic out of a lot of things and can really screw up your edgeguarding since his Side B can grab you out of of your aerials. It sends you flying as well

Another bad thing is killing Bowser. He doesn't die very easily. If he momentum cancels and DI's properly, he should be living at around 140-150%. Actually landing a kill move on Bowser is also difficult. He outranges you so landing an F Smash is hard...D Smash is crap. Bairs...urgh, only if Bowser runs into them. Spaced Bairs don't work like I said so...yea

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong but...when recovering with Sonic against Bowser...it's like flinging yourself against a wall with only a few holes available for to go through to get to the other side. Spin shot is tragically bad - I got punished nearly every single time I tried to use it both for recovering and on stage simply because Bowser is far too big and his attacks are pretty huge too. Sonic is incredibly limited to what he can when recovering. All Bowser has to do is wait and punish Sonic as he's landing. Grabbing onto the ledge means you risk getting grabbed ---> air trip and because Bowser outranges Sonic...getting back up from the ledge is difficult. Recovering from down below sucks because Sonic doesn't auto snap onto the edge, giving Bowser a free smash (normally F Smash or D Smash, which is surprisingly hard to DI out of)

I haven't even started on his other attacks...his Tilts have huge range and hit hard. Jab might be slower than yours but it vastly outranges Sonic's attacks. F Smash is a horrible move that is ridiculously strong. Bowsers aerials are not to be underestimated as they outrange yours

Having said all that though, we are forgetting one imporant advantage we have in this match up

It's Bowser

Bowser is very big. Whilst this can create a few problems such as a large sheild (the whole of Sonic's Up Smash can be shielded :/) it also makes Bowser a very big target. Fair is a beautiful move in this match, despite me not liking it much. Up Smash is good when it lands and so is Up Tilt. If Bowser doesn't have much of his shield left, spindashes can go through below his shield and hit him (although Fortress can stop spindashes). Whilst Bowser outranges Sonic, Sonic is faster than Bowser. Provided I was close enough/had started them up, my aerials would often get this first hit in. Shielding Bowsers more laggy attacks such as F Tilt and the whole of Fortress (irritating to do) allowed me to punish Bowser with various grabs and the like

Gimping Bowser is not as easy as it sounds. You have to play smart. Bowser doesn't have many options since his recovery isn't great. The only thing he can do provided he's a decent height above the stage whilst off stage is Fair and air dodge. Bait a reaction and hit him (Bair is probably your best choice or a Dair if you get lucky and he DI's wrong)

Feel free to disagree but that's my take on things. I think the match up is around 55-45/60-40 in Bowsers favour. I know I've said a lot more things Bowser has over Sonic but Sonic outspeeds Bowser and if Sonic shields Bowsers more laggy attacks, Bowser is open for getting Faired/grabbed/whatever. The smartest player will normally win but I feel that Bowser has a lot more defensive tools to keep Sonic at bay and Sonic can have a hard time getting round them which is why I've put it in Bowsers favour
This is what I said last time you guys discussed Bowser and I still stand by it (hopefully there isn't anything horribly wrong in it lol anyone care to check it over?). One thing I did notice though is that I said Bowser would be dieing at around 140-150%...I reckon he can live til much higher tbh with good DI and momentum cancelling. Another thing I think I glazed over was his grab releases (LOL)

I haven't played Bowser in a long time, let alone with Sonic but from what I remember it was not easy by any means. OoS Fortress wrecks everything, his grabs are more deadly than Sonic's, he hits much much harder than Sonic and dies later as well. Koopa Klaw is pretty godly and can be irriating to get round if he's using the infinite 2nd jump thing and bouncing about the place. Recovering sucks. Just try and poke at him and bait him into doing things premeturely. Never get too close to him especially if he's got his sheild up since you'll be hit with Foretress

Erm...hope that helps, I'm definitly not one of the good Sonic users out there

Aaaand I'm gone *vanishes*

B!squick

Smash Master
Bowser match up chart will have it's first update in decades later today. :D Any Sonic players who may randomly be reading can feel free to weigh in (last time, promise). If you already have previously, I wont begrudge anyone who quotes themselves, lol.

Also, we're thinking it's Bowser 55 : Sonic 45.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I used Ricky's quote to sum up part of the matchup, although it's kinda odd. I just feel like Bowser can get juggled easily, but then again, it's Sonic vs Bowser. If there's anything I learn from playing Smash, it's that Bowser is fat. :/

But yeah dudes, come over and add something so we can wrap this up u_u

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
Hmm.... for some reason, no one is mentioning sonic's adantage when hes below bowser. if you can get below bowser he options get limited quickly and dair, airdodge, and even fortress upon landing should all be baited and punished with something like an upthrow or upair to reset him in that position. this is bad for bowser against sonic. Retreating ASC is also a good spacing tool against him under the guise of a potential attack, and if he tries to run after you, he can't use those tilts as regularly either, and resorts to fortress if he does get into trouble, which again is baited. I'm sorry, but feels like people are saying there is not answer to fortress. Even when I first played a good bowser and had little matchup exp, i still noted that i needed to bait fortress with pressure. the only real problem was the constant jumping and sideB/aerial spamming he did, in hopes you RAN INTO THEM. its not like he can force you into into them guys. bowser has to play just as defensive against sonic as vice versa, and he does it from the get go.

If you havent beaten a good bowser, it may be because you did nothing but run into stuff.

If the stage is decent in size, sonic's advantage, 55:45

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
numbers are stupid.

the only reason this match is even close to even is because bowser is obsurdly fat. sonic shouldnt even be attempting kill moves till like 160

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I haven't played a lot of Bowsers, but the only ones that I know, I've played enough.

Bowser's fortress indeed is most troublesome sometimes, but once I get near him and Side-B on him, there's really little he can do, before I start juggling him, and when high enough, come back down with an auto-cancelled Dair.
Then I pursue Bowser with a charging Up-smash. If it hits, time to keep juggling, if it doesn't, I'm probably gonna get grabbed+ftilt. Bowser's tend to abuse the Flamethrower near the edge, but this doesn't concern Sonic.

Against Bowser, my aerial approaches must be cautious, ready to dodge Bowser's attack and then striking him in his after-lag. I don't think I've grabbed too much against Bowser, out of fear of HIS grabs.

If anything, in my experience the match up has always been 55:45 Sonic's favor. I always felt like I had the upper hand. Plus you can feint a lot, forcing Bowser to react beforehand.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Because MU threads are ********.

:093:

Trent

Smash Champion
Since nothing has been discussed on Bowser for like a week now, maybe we could move onto another character? Maybe ICes since our match up thread says we're even with them and how to fight against them carefully? Or maybe Snake since there's not much info on him either. Just throwing some ideas out.

Roxas1988

Smash Journeyman
I mean Snake is a hard *** character over all. It's just the killing part that annoys me. I rack up so much damage on him and instead of killing him boom im the one getting racked up and killed first. Complete utter bull**** lol. I would say its obviously in snake's favor but im not gonna give out a ratio just yet. What do you think?

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
So if we're in the final stages, who wants to do the Bowser write up? Since that was one of the main reasons we covered him.

AHL

Smash Cadet
Reality Sonic matchups:

Soft counter: (35:65)
Snake
G&W
Marth

Disadvantage: (40:60)
DK
R.O.B
ICs
DDD
Lucario
Toon Link

Small Disadvantage: (45:55)
Zss
Pikachu
Peach
MK
Falco
Wario
Olimar
Charizard

Even: (50:50)
Mario
Kirby
Fox
Luigi
Yoshi
Sheik
Pit
Squirtle
Diddy
Lucas
Wolf
Sonic(ditto)

Small advantage: (55:45)
Samus
Ness
Zelda
Falcon
Bowser

Advantage: (60:40)
Ike
Ivysaur
Jigss
Link
Ganon

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Peach still feels like 40:60 to me. But hey. Varies for people I guess. But I approve of that list for the most part, actually. Seems reasonable.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
That list reminds me.

Has anybody else seen the projects on other boards where a bunch of members either give ratios or descriptions of the dis/advantage their respective character has on the entire board?

If I'm not being clear, I'm talking about this:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=251309

It may be better to go with the even/dis/advantage/major dis/advantage procedure, because not everybody can think of exactly how devastating a matchup may be (I.E., we use the ratio system, of 50:50, 60:40 and vice versa, and so on), and it would just save us time having to think which.

If it's something like "Oh, well I can't decide if it's a 55:45 even MU or a 6:4 dia/advantaged MU, what do I do?" then just put it at the end that's closer to the end of the spectrum. If THAT didn't make sense, you can just put it as a disadvantage.

Just a suggestion though, if anybody would like to run this (I'm not sure if I'd want to do it, everything I create eventually dies.), it's up to them whether we use the ratio system or the literal version. Just have everybody put up their opinion on each MU, and then average them.

Browny

Smash Hater
noooo

Indeed I have seen many other boards do it... its completely reduandant imo. It started off as some sort of SBR thing but now its just people doing it coz theyre board or something. I mean if we did it all and averaged out all the rankings of a matchup, do you think it would be any different to how everyone else sees it? Personaly bias aside I would think everyone here will come to the same conclusion.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Somehow, I'd think that not everybody agrees on certain MUs, and certainly not how hard/easy they are... But whatever.

However, I'm really not interested in how anybody outside the community sees our MUs. Granted, there are even certain people (not going to call out anybody) whose opinion I see are extreme or ludicrous and could care less what they have to say, but the thing just seemed like a fun community project when you don't have everybody @#$%^ing at one another.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Some people say 55:45 Sonic, others say 45:55 Bowser. Whatever.

Anyways, thanks for offering to do the write up Kojin. Could you just use the current format? If you don't mind that is.

Top Bottom