• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic the Hedgehog; a 2nd series rep

Status
Not open for further replies.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
I have to really disagree on Shadow being a likely candidate, he hasn't had a really major role since Sonic '06, and he's been in the background along with every other character.

Tails on the other hand has actually gotten more important, being the main support in Colors and Generations, and even playable in Coop in Sonic 4 ep. 2. I really think we're seeing SEGA putting the Sonic/Tails duo back on top.

I'm thinking Tails is our definite front-runner. Robotnik/Knuckles being tied for third most likely.
What does Tails do? What would his attacks be?

He doesn't do anything in Colors Wii, or Generations PS360, he does something in Sonic 4 Ep 2 but only as a tag team partner of Sonic, which suggests he wouldn't work as a fighter by himself.

Tails being the next Sonic rep would be a nightmare. The ONLY reason he would be picked is because he's one of the earliest Sonic characters and because the other characters have a negative stigma working against them.

I hate the idea of Tails getting picked so much, my earlier idea for a roster was to have the Sonic Black Knight versions of the characters. (replacing Sonic with his SBK version) That way, the game can have Knuckles, Blaze, AND Shadow, that's 3 out of 3 winners, (or rather 2 winners.. and Blaze) without having to stop at every single god forsaken character along the way. (Tails, Amy, Eggman, Metal Sonic)

However, I changed my mind on the Sonic Black Knight idea, partly because I realized that Smash Bros is not SegaSonic AllStars Racing. The process for picking characters for Smash Bros is probably not the same as it is for a racing game. For one thing, anyone can be in a racing game, since all they need is a vehicle. Second, in a Sega racing game, you can have any number of Sonic characters, so of course you have room for Tails and Eggman. But in Smash Bros, you have very limited slots, and that's where I realize 2 simple facts:

1) SegaSonic Allstars Racing has Shadow in it.

2) Brawl added Wolf, skipping over Slippy and Peppy.

While it's true that Shadow hasn't had as major of a role as Tails as of late (who is definitely working his way back up after he had fallen for so long), to be fair, Shadow DID have a boss role in Generations, so it's not like he has fallen to Knuckles' decline level yet.

Though personally, as a Shadow fan, even I can see that Sega will have difficulty incorporating Shadow in major roles given that the main thing about him, his mysterious past, has been completely wrapped up. Only thing I can see is if Shadow gets his own subseries that focuses on him completing missions for G.U.N. alongside Rouge and Omega, though that seems kind of farfetched.
It's because Sega is trying to be hip by sweeping Shadow under the rug, yet shoehorning Tails into everything. It's all the more reason why Shadow must make it into Brawl. (or PS All Stars)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
A second Sonic character in general would be a nightmare. :troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Or, we could cut Sonic. To make up for Sonic being in Brawl?

I definitely don't think there SHOULD be a 2nd Sonic rep.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wasn't even trolling, am actually dead serious. Why should a guest franchise get a 2nd character when we still have Nintendo-owned franchises with just one character?

Junahu

Smash Ace
He has hands, feet, a head, a body that can roll into a ball, and two tails that can fly. Sonic makes due with less than that. I doubt this would be a barrier.
Tails is the 2nd player bro character. Essentially he is the Luigi of the Sonic universe. That's why it's realistically the most likely choice.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I wasn't even trolling, am actually dead serious. Why should a guest franchise get a 2nd character when we still have Nintendo-owned franchises with just one character?
Because people want to play with this character and it would add value to the series perhaps.

volbound1700

Smash Master
When I get internet at home and have time, I plan to make a Tails thread with moveset. A lot of his moves should be borrowed from Sonic Adventure 1. He may have a couple of cloned moves from Sonic but most are unique. I haven't had the time to get them down yet.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I very highly doubt that they would give a 3rd party series more than one character if there are some nintendo series with only one or no reps in the roster. The possibility isn't as good as most people think. I'm even a big fan of Shadow. He's awesome

volbound1700

Smash Master
The chances are very low indeed and I don't expect one but I don't see why it could never happen. Sakurai never said he was going to limit 3rd party, etc. If Sakurai wants Shadow or Tails in his game, it will happen. Remember the April Fools joke about Sonic and Tails in Melee, it created a lot of hype that both would appear in Smash. Nintendo was well aware of this hype.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Sakurai has stated that they weren't going to add 3rd party characters "willy-nilly". So if he is going for more 3rd parties, there would have to be sufficient reasoning for them to be added. Right now, Megaman is the obvious choice, along with assumably a Namco character (because lets face it. If they are helping make the game, they're going to get someone on the roster.) So the idea of another Sonic character, without knowledge of Sonic even returning is a bit farfetched.

Junahu

Smash Ace
There's also the possibility of Sega pulling out alltogether in order to create a "Sonic & Sega Allstars Battle" game. It really depends on how much Sega wants to invest in this genre of game and in the Sonic & Sega series in general.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
There's also the possibility of Sega pulling out alltogether in order to create a "Sonic & Sega Allstars Battle" game. It really depends on how much Sega wants to invest in this genre of game and in the Sonic & Sega series in general.
I'd buy it. Never play as any Sonic character cause i find them seriously overrated. but i would hope that Ristar would b in it. i freakin love that game.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Well, some time ago I made a Chris (Sonic X) moveset (first time doing something like this). I just finished some stuff that was missing, though I did rush on it. Meh, I know it's a joke and very unlikely, but might as well post it. Hopefully I made someone laugh with this.

[collapse=Image heavy]
Christopher Thorndkye

The most important person in Sonic history. Period. Even more important and popular than Sonic himself; without Chris, who knows what awful things could of happened to the Sonic universe. Chris is just a normal prepubescent child, just like you and me. As such, he relates to us, gives us self-esteem, and shows the Smash world that humans can kick butt.

We got to ask ourselves: What makes a hero? Do you have to be powerful and well-known like Mario? Courageous like Link? Or maybe undaunting like Samus, the bounty hunter? Everyone has a different definition of “hero”. However, one does not necessarily need these traits to be a hero; anyone one can, you just need to believe in yourself. And that’s no exception to Chris. Deep down, Chris believes he is a hero. As such, bravery cannot be found in anyone else but in the flawless boy you’re reading about. In the end, we need someone like Chris to be playable. He’s a brave and smart kid, and would spice up the roster. Smash has a lot of children already, but not as important as Chris. I’d say sacrifice Lucas and bring in Chris! I mean, it’s not like I main Lucas and that I’d miss him or anything...

Chris is also a very good mechanic and could have a very unique moveset, especially with his human characteristics. I’ve made a quick moveset that could potentially work. So, without further ado:

Basic info: Chris is 12 years old and roughly taller than Sonic. He’s pretty fast, about the same speed as Mario, and when running, he gets down really low (think Marth and Roy). Well, he has a black belt in karate, so he must be pretty flexible!

Aww, isn't Chris a loving friend? Uh, lets move on, shall we?

Standard Attacks

Jab – A three-hit combo. Chris punches twice then hits the opponent with a very expensive teacup that breaks for the third hit (don’t worry, his family’s rich).
Ftilt – Pulls out a monkey wrench to hit the opponent. It has good reach and knockback.
Utilt – Slashes with an expansive plate overhead that knocks the opponent straight up.
Dtilt – A low kick to whatever direction he’s facing.

Dash Attack – Chris pretends he’s Sonic and rolls into a ball to attack.

Crouch animation:

Crawling animation (or I should say rolling):

Running animation:

Aerial Attacks

Nair – Spins around like a tornado, screaming some sort of battle cry, damaging opponents on either side of him
Fair – Pulls out two monkey wrenches and slashes with them.
Bair – Thrusts his buttocks to smash opponents.
Uair – Pulls out a tea kettle to smash opponents over him.
Dair – Fires a laser gun which makes an explosion right under him, similar to ROB’s Dair.

Special Moves

NBHero’s Scream of Heroicness

By pressing B, Chris abuses the power of his prepubescent voice and lets out an ear bleeding scream kinda like this. It’s so powerful that it comes out as a shock wave; it has the same speed and distance as Wolf’s Blaster but a little bit bigger. The move can be charged by holding B. Once fully charged, Chris yells out: “Sonic, Soniiic!” like he’s crying for help. The scream will make ears bleed, to the players and even people around the world. The shock wave travels faster, and does more damage. If it hits an opponent, he/she puts their hands on their ears, like they can’t stand the sound, and is basically paralyzed for a bit.

B>Focus Punch!

Coincidence? I think not!

Did you know that Chris is best friends with Ash Ketchum? No, really, Chris loves to visit the Pokemon World and discover Pokemon with Ash. In fact, sometimes Chris tries to imitate Pokemon moves, but this, of course, fails. By using Focus Punch, Chris tries to imitate an Aipom. He flexes his muscles and screams a “hiiiyaaaah!” while delivering punches while making a weird face. This attack is similar to Marth’s Dancing Blade, as it can do some combinations. It can do some crazy punch and kick combos, having vertical or horizontal knockback depending on which combo is used.

B^ - I’m Just Hovering Around!

Bad, Chris, bad! Not over water!

Chris pulls out a hoverboard to fly up high (just don’t use this thing over water!). The player can control the board in any direction until it runs out of fuel and disappears. The movement is similar to the magic carpets in Super Mario Bros. 2; just hold on the control stick in any direction to move. Once the fuel runs out, however, the player will fall if in the air. Landing on the ground will recharge it.

BvMy Balls May Have Not Dropped But This One Will!

...On your head! A large white ball is pulled out over Chris’s head. It’s actually a bomb that will explode on impact. Similar to Link’s bombs, you can throw it in any direction. If the bomb is thrown on the ground and does not make contact with anything, it will bounce for a bit, then detonate for a stronger explosion. There’s a rare chance that a blue bomb will be pulled out. If the blue bomb makes contact, it will do less damage (2-3%), however a Chao will pop out! So, it’s not a bomb, but a Chao egg! The Chao will automatically slam into the nearest opponent, like a homing missile, then disappear. The Chao’s slam does more knockback and damage versus the normal bomb.

Just check out that sexy 12-year-old figure! Perfect for an alt costume. Um, lets move on...

Smash Attacks

Side SmashFist of the Japanese Butler

=

Mr. Tanaka pops out of nowhere and delivers crazy punches in whatever direction Chris is facing. No, no, I’m not talking about John Tanaka from F-Zero. I’m talking about Mr. Tanaka, Chris’ butler, who is a martial arts master!

Down SmashElla’s Revenge

Ella, Chris’ maid, pops out of nowhere (now where did I hear this before?) and says, “I’ll use my trusty frying pan, as a fighting pan!” She does a low sweep with the pan, around Chris. Yep, you could say she’s somewhat over protective.

Up SmashI’m A Firin’ Mah Lazer!!

Chris fires a laser gun above him, creating a fiery explosion. I don’t know how to explain this, but Chris yells this as he fires.

Final SmashSuper Chris

Chris randomly gets all the Chaos Emeralds (again) and cries, “There mine...mine!”...and becomes *drum roll* Super Chris! Similar to Super Sonic, Chris’ hair turns gold and gains a bright aura around him. Chris can fly around, thinking he’s a Super Saiyan, and slam into opponents. Chris can also fire energy blasts, by pressing B, or hold B to charge some sort of super beam. After, the transformation wears out, and he returns to normal.

Taunts

1 – Randomly pulls out a ring and starts to cry:

2 – Chris does a high-pitched squeal and says, “I love my Sonic!”
3 – Chris does a thumbs-up while laughing

Victory animations

1 – Chris does a high-pitched laugh, but his voice cracks in the process
2 – Pelvic thrust big gif
3 – Awesomesauce dance with back-up girl dancers big gif, didn't want to post

Songs

Victory Theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXp0GED-Oi4
Character Theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTHsOSGJHN0

Ain’t 4Kids awesome?

Thank you for reading this. I hope I convinced you that Chris can be an interesting fighter, and a good choice for another Sonic rep. You just need to believe in Chris, and I’m sure you’ll find this kid will shine...He’ll shine brighter than Polaris, spreading his lovable character to all the Smash fans.

Because you've read the whole thing, have a dancing Link. It's the least I could do since reading this must have been hell.

Merci beaucoup, a la prochaine.

Fyi I had no idea what I was doing when I made this
[/collapse]

final lap

Smash Journeyman
When I get internet at home and have time, I plan to make a Tails thread with moveset. A lot of his moves should be borrowed from Sonic Adventure 1. He may have a couple of cloned moves from Sonic but most are unique. I haven't had the time to get them down yet.
If Tails is in Smash Bros than at the very least could he have his electrical plug attack from Sonic Riders? There's also the ring bombs from Sonic The Hedgehog (2006), I hate those, but in a Smash Bros game it could work. (and besides, I'm a scrub, and I want projectiles!)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If Tails is in Smash Bros than at the very least could he have his electrical plug attack from Sonic Riders? There's also the ring bombs from Sonic The Hedgehog (2006), I hate those, but in a Smash Bros game it could work. (and besides, I'm a scrub, and I want projectiles!)
Silly Lap. We don't use the term scrub here. You must be thinking of every other fighting game community. We use the word "noob." :troll:

final lap

Smash Journeyman
What would Shadow's moveset be.

homing attack
Chaos spear
homing rocket launcher (hey, you got any better ideas?)
And for his fourth move, I dunno. Chaos control?

*thinks*
yea, chaos control. It wouldn't be redundant to have chaos control and homing attack right?

Say, does this look a moveset with hardcore zoning capabilty?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What would Shadow's moveset be.

homing attack
Chaos spear
homing rocket launcher (hey, you got any better ideas?)
And for his fourth move, I dunno. Chaos control?

*thinks*
yea, chaos control. It wouldn't be redundant to have chaos control and homing attack right?

Say, does this look a moveset with hardcore zoning capabilty?
Every Sonic character can have a good moveset. It's a moot point.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
Every Sonic character can have a good moveset. It's a moot point.
I wasn't saying otherwise, I was just shooting ideas for a moveset. Coming up with moves for Shadow obviously wouldn't be a roadblock, he has chaos spear and homing attack, that alone puts him well ahead of many other Sonic characters.

Oh, you know what I only just realized. Shadow could have a spring like Sonic.
He should really have that.
That just makes things even easier.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I wasn't saying otherwise, I was just shooting ideas for a moveset. Coming up with moves for Shadow obviously wouldn't be a roadblock, he has chaos spear and homing attack, that alone puts him well ahead of many other Sonic characters.

Oh, you know what I only just realized. Shadow could have a spring like Sonic.
He should really have that.
That just makes things even easier.
So make Shadow a Luigified clone.? No.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599

He doesn't do anything in Colors Wii, or Generations PS360, he does something in Sonic 4 Ep 2 but only as a tag team partner of Sonic, which suggests he wouldn't work as a fighter by himself.

Tails being the next Sonic rep would be a nightmare. The ONLY reason he would be picked is because he's one of the earliest Sonic characters and because the other characters have a negative stigma working against them.

I hate the idea of Tails getting picked so much, my earlier idea for a roster was to have the Sonic Black Knight versions of the characters. (replacing Sonic with his SBK version) That way, the game can have Knuckles, Blaze, AND Shadow, that's 3 out of 3 winners, (or rather 2 winners.. and Blaze) without having to stop at every single god forsaken character along the way. (Tails, Amy, Eggman, Metal Sonic)

However, I changed my mind on the Sonic Black Knight idea, partly because I realized that Smash Bros is not SegaSonic AllStars Racing. The process for picking characters for Smash Bros is probably not the same as it is for a racing game. For one thing, anyone can be in a racing game, since all they need is a vehicle. Second, in a Sega racing game, you can have any number of Sonic characters, so of course you have room for Tails and Eggman. But in Smash Bros, you have very limited slots, and that's where I realize 2 simple facts:

1) SegaSonic Allstars Racing has Shadow in it.

2) Brawl added Wolf, skipping over Slippy and Peppy.

It's because Sega is trying to be hip by sweeping Shadow under the rug, yet shoehorning Tails into everything. It's all the more reason why Shadow must make it into Brawl. (or PS All Stars)
Tails is a slightlyslower character then sonic who has the ability to float like Peach and has access to a bunch of gadgets and tools for his weaponry. A moveset for him wouldn't be that hard.

and it's funny that you bring up the sweeping under the Rug of Shadow, since the apparently retconned Big the Cat out of canon recently.

D

Deleted member

How about we do something unique and put in Vector or Chaos instead
Vector:
All moves: FIND THE COMPUTER ROOM
Final Smash: THERE IT IS THE COMPUTER ROOM *sends everyone to the COMPUTER ROOM, and everyone dies and Vector autowins no matter what*

final lap

Smash Journeyman
So make Shadow a Luigified clone.? No.
Umm? I wasn't saying that, I was merely suggesting that Shadow have a spring.
Just earlier I mentioned homing attack, chaos spear, rocket launcher, and chaos control, so obviously I wasn't proposing making Shadow a clone.

In fact, screw it, this needs to happen. Shadow needs a spring move.
It could have a different sound effect from Sonic's spring, which is the classic spring sound effect. Shadow's could be the sound from the 3D Sonics:

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle [Radical Highway] [HD]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpN3JVU3kkY#t=0m58s

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Umm? I wasn't saying that, I was merely suggesting that Shadow have a spring.
Just earlier I mentioned homing attack, chaos spear, rocket launcher, and chaos control, so obviously I wasn't proposing making Shadow a clone.
Sonic already uses both a Spring and the homing attack. Sharing 2 out of 4 special moves is Luigification.

I still think Tails is the one who should get in. He has two. (:troll:) He's Sonic's Luigi! His Diddy! His BFF!

final lap

Smash Journeyman
Sonic already uses both a Spring and the homing attack. Sharing 2 out of 4 special moves is Luigification.
Ok well I didn't know Sonic has a homing attack in Brawl. I would probably argue though that he doesn't have a homing attack, because I played Brawl and don't remember him having anything that I would consider a homing attack. Brawl Sonic to me was clearly based more on the classic Sonic games. Spindashing in the air and falling on an opponent is by no means the same as a homing attack.

In any case, Shadow's homing attack would be different from Sonic's homing attack from the ground up. So it wouldn't be luigification. That's like saying Ice Climbers and King Dedede are semi clones just because they both use hammers.

Even those points aside, Shadow being in SSB and not having a homing attack would be an outrageous lie, being that he has a homing attack in virtually every game in which he's playable.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ok well I didn't know Sonic has a homing attack in Brawl. I would probably argue though that he doesn't have a homing attack, because I played Brawl and don't remember him having anything that I would consider a homing attack. Brawl Sonic to me was clearly based more on the classic Sonic games. Spindashing in the air and falling on an opponent is by no means the same as a homing attack.

In any case, Shadow's homing attack would be different from Sonic's homing attack from the ground up. So it wouldn't be luigification. That's like saying Ice Climbers and King Dedede are semi clones just because they both use hammers.

Even those points aside, Shadow being in SSB and not having a homing attack would be an outrageous lie, being that he has a homing attack in virtually every game in which he's playable.
Sonic's Neutral B move is a homing attack.
Proof: http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/sonic.html

How would this new homing attack work on a 2D plane that would fit within Smash Bros style gameplay, pray tell? There's only one way I can think of and that's the way Sonic uses it.

For the Ice Climbers/Dedede thing. That's not what I meant and you know it.

Tails should get in first. Then Shadow/Knuckles.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
Sonic's Neutral B move is a homing attack.
Proof: http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/sonic.html
Ok, the movelist does say homing attack. But there's no place on that page I can see what it looks like in action, all the pics on that page look like spindash.

How would this new homing attack work on a 2D plane that would fit within Smash Bros style gameplay, pray tell? There's only one way I can think of and that's the way Sonic uses it.
Homing attacks vary from game to game, it's possible to make it different from Sonic's.

If Sonic's homing attack travels quickly, then Shadow's can be slower, or it can be instantaneous.

If Sonic's homing attack travels in a curved arc toward the opponent, than Shadow's could be made to be a straight line always.

If Sonic's homing attack goes through the opponent (which is not how homing attack is supposed to work) then Shadow would bounce off the opponent, or launch away from the opponent afterwards.

If Sonic's homing attack is a single strike, Shadow's can lead into a punch combo similar to Metaknight's sword combo, or similar to this:

Sonic the Hedgehog 2006: White Acropolis (Shadow) [1080 HD]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv0m71Iidok#t=0m18s

That's not what I meant and you know it.
Same to you, Mr. "Shadow should not be a Luigifcation of Sonic"

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ok, the movelist does say homing attack. But there's no place on that page I can see what it looks like in action, all the pics on that page look like spindash.

Homing attacks vary from game to game, it's possible to make it different from Sonic's.

If Sonic's homing attack travels quickly, then Shadow's can be slower, or it can be instantaneous.

If Sonic's homing attack travels in a curved arc toward the opponent, than Shadow's could be made to be a straight line always.

If Sonic's homing attack goes through the opponent (which is not how homing attack is supposed to work) then Shadow would bounce off the opponent, or launch away from the opponent afterwards.

If Sonic's homing attack is a single strike, Shadow's can lead into a punch combo similar to Metaknight's sword combo, or similar to this:

Sonic the Hedgehog 2006: White Acropolis (Shadow) [1080 HD]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv0m71Iidok#t=0m18s

Same to you, Mr. "Shadow should not be a Luigifcation of Sonic"
1. Then look up a video... You're on the internet. It's not hard to do...

2. So....Luigified clone? That's what you're saying.

3. ....

wat? Not making sense there Bucko.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
2. So....Luigified clone? That's what you're saying.
It's not clear what you're saying. Homing attack and spring were simply 2 ideas I came up with for 'B-button' moves. I never said he had to have BOTH of them. (But I don't see why he couldn't.)

If you had to choose between a homing attack or a spring for Shadow, which would you choose? Or is neither ok all of a sudden?

Junahu

Smash Ace
Springs have absolutely nothing to do with Shadow. If you really want him to use a sonic prop, then use something iconic from the game he originated in; The Rocket (the small ones that carry the player between sections in stages such as Radical Highway)

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's not clear what you're saying. Homing attack and spring were simply 2 ideas I came up with for 'B-button' moves. I never said he had to have BOTH of them. (But I don't see why he couldn't.)

If you had to choose between a homing attack or a spring for Shadow, which would you choose? Or is neither ok all of a sudden?
Neither. I'd rather he'd be original.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
Springs have absolutely nothing to do with Shadow.
If Shadow mustn't have springs in order to be different from Sonic, that's perfectly reasonable, but this statement is just plain wrong. Springs don't really have any less to do with Shadow than they do with Sonic.

If the games/stories had it so Sonic could materialize his own springs then you'd have a point.
If Shadow's stages had no springs anywhere in them then you'd have a point.

Neither of those is the case.
Shadow is a character that literally homing attacks onto springs in virtually every game he's playable.

If you really want him to use a sonic prop, then use something iconic from the game he originated in; The Rocket (the small ones that carry the player between sections in stages such as Radical Highway)

Junahu

Smash Ace
If Shadow mustn't have springs in order to be different from Sonic, that's perfectly reasonable, but this statement is just plain wrong. Springs don't really have any less to do with Shadow than they do with Sonic.
I'm not saying that Sonic has any business with springs being in his moveset either, but since Shadow is almost exclusively a 3D Sonic character, his interactions with springs are not on the same level as the stuff Sonic had to deal with in 2D. I bet every Sonic fan remembers those little pits with two springs on each side that would bounce Sonic back and forth rapidly, or those hidden Springs that would pop up out of nowhere to propel Sonic on his way. The 3D era of sonic (which Shadow represents) has its own array of props and iconography that define it. Springs are astonishingly rare now compared to stuff like rails and dashpads.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
I'm not saying that Sonic has any business with springs being in his moveset either, but since Shadow is almost exclusively a 3D Sonic character, his interactions with springs are not on the same level as the stuff Sonic had to deal with in 2D. I bet every Sonic fan remembers those little pits with two springs on each side that would bounce Sonic back and forth rapidly, or those hidden Springs that would pop up out of nowhere to propel Sonic on his way. The 3D era of sonic (which Shadow represents) has its own array of props and iconography that define it. Springs are astonishingly rare now compared to stuff like rails and dashpads.
You seem reasonable. Going by what you say, I can hope you'd agree that Shadow having a homing attack in SSB isn't as reprehensible as Swampasaur makes it out to be, and in fact perfectly normal seeing as Shadow as you say should represent 3D Sonic titles. (and seeing as Brawl Sonic derives more classic Sonic titles)

Come to think of it, if Swampasaur's concern is simply keeping Shadow different from Sonic (while being rude about it), then as far as he's concerned it should be ok to take homing attack away from Sonic, give it to Shadow instead, and just think of a new move for Sonic such as bounce attack (S3, SA2) or the fire shield. (S3)

Bounce attack makes brilliant sense actually because although it was in SA2, Shadow did not have it! (correct me if I'm wrong)

D

Deleted member

*sighs*
I see both sides going about this the wrong way.
While Shadow being a Sonic semiclone would make a lot of sense, just giving minor changes to some moves is not the route to take it.

For example, we have Sonic's Neutral Special, the Homing Attack.
Shadow has been able to perform this since his debut. However, Sonic 06 introduced a special variation of this: Chaos Attack.
With this, Shadow would start off similar to Sonic and rise in the air, then home in on the opponent as he hits the opponent, the player can rapidly press either the attack button or special button (whichever works better for this) to rapidly assault the opponent with punches and kicks.

Now, Shadow needs to Spin Dash. It's iconic to nearly all major Sonic characters, including him.
What I propose as an idea, is that Shadow takes Sonic's old Side Special version of it, leaving Sonic with just the Spin Charge Down Special version. Why? For two reasons:
1. Sonic's Side Special represents how Spin Dash works in Modern titles, while Sonic's Down Specal represents how it works in Classic titles. Shadow, being a Modern character in his debut, would sensibly use the Side Special version.
2. Sonic Boost has become a major part of Sonic's gameplay since after his Brawl appearance, much like the Homing Attack did after Sonic Adventure. Sonic using the Sonic Boost for a Side Special to replace his older one is beleivable.

Springs, don't use them. Sonic only uses a Spring because there's not much else he can do for a recovery.
Shadow has his Chaos Abilities, including a teleportation.

Since two Spin Dashes would be redundant (like in Brawl), this move is open to anything, really. My personal preference would be the Chaos Spear, yet another iconic ability for Shadow. It could theoretically be like when controlling Super Shadow in his own game, press the special button rapidly after firing to rapidly shoot smaller, weaker bolts, or hold the special button after initiating the attack to charge a larger, stronger bolt.

Final Smash, I had an idea where Shadow would briefly turn into Super Shadow, unleash the Arrows of Light ability Super Shadow had in Sonic 06, then revert to normal.

EDIT: Then we get into normal attacks. Those would be as different as Ness and Lucas, considering Sonic has his style of fighting and Shadow has his. They contrast.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You seem reasonable. Going by what you say, I can hope you'd agree that Shadow having a homing attack in SSB isn't as reprehensible as Swampasaur makes it out to be. (and in fact perfectly normal)

Come to think of it, if Swampasaur's concern is simply keeping Shadow different from Sonic (while being rude about it), then as far as he's concerned it should be ok to take homing attack away from Sonic, give it to Shadow instead, and just think of a new move for Sonic such as bounce attack (S3, SA2) or the fire shield. (S3)
I can read this you know.

My intentions were not to be rude. I just don't agree with you. If you were offended, then I don't know what to say. I was trying to offend anyone.

(I'm not the one saying "Mr. *insert oppositions opinion here*" am I? :troll: You haven't been Mr. Nice and polite yourself. Especially when you imply I'm not reasonable.)

final lap

Smash Journeyman
My intentions were not to be rude. I just don't agree with you.
You can disagree with someone without being rude, you know.
I wasn't saying my idea for Shadow was the only right one, and yet your criticism was hardly constructive.

(I'm not the one saying "Mr. *insert oppositions opinion here*" am I? :troll: You haven't been Mr. Nice and polite yourself. Especially when you imply I'm not reasonable.)
That comment was in response to "That's not what I meant and you know it."
I was calling out the hypocrisy in your statement.

You knew I was trying to come up with an original moveset for Shadow, but you shot down all my ideas with "so in other words, a Luigification?" in other words putting things in my mouth you know I did not mean.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You can disagree with someone without being rude, you know.
I wasn't saying my idea for Shadow was the only right one, and yet your criticism was hardly constructive.

That comment was in response to "That's not what I meant and you know it."
I was calling out the hypocrisy in your statement.

You knew I was trying to come up with an original moveset for Shadow, but you shot down all my ideas with "so in other words, a Luigification?" in other words putting things in my mouth you know I did not mean.
Again. I wasn't trying to be rude. I apologize if I came off that way. But that was never my intention. I was just expressing my opinion.

Okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom