• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic special Moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zevox

Smash Lord
While the multiple spin dash specials is slightly disappointing, I'm rather interested to see that particular combo Sakurai showed us and the possibilities it represents. If Sonic's side spin dash can be used in mid-air, even after using it and other attacks in mid-air, that could make it one hell of a horizontal recovery move. Heck, if its not restricted from being used in mid-air multiple times, it could be even better for that than Marth's sword dance, making Sonic ridiculously difficult to kill - can you say top-tier? Overpowered even perhaps? Its an interesting tidbit, whether it bodes well or ill.

Mario_and_Sonic_Guy said:
The upward special move could've been Chaos Control, but it would've worked the same way as Zelda's Farore's Wind.
Chaos Control is more a move of Shadow's though. The spring suits Sonic perfectly, since its been in his games since the first.

Zevox

Burninator

Smash Journeyman
i tink that the charge spin work like Jigglypuff rollout
Except that Sonic can probably jump while using it (one would assume, as it's only a charged version of the side B), it doesn't cause him to bounce off characters, and if it works like it does in his games, he can stop rolling by simply jumping and landing on the ground.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
here's how I see it...

first of all, note that the spin charge essentially becomes the spin dash as sakurai said on the downB description: "By holding the Control Stick down and tapping the special-move button, you charge up your spin and do a Spin Dash."

Now for the spin charge you have to be on the ground. if you try to use the downB in the air ul most likely use what I call the generic dive, a diving move that characters use when you press downB in the air, when their normal downB can only be used on the ground. look for my other post in the brawl discussion forum about this. so far we know sonic and zamus have it.

on a speed scale of 1-10, think of the spin dash (sideB) starting off at like a speed of 4, and if u give it a little bit of charge up time, you can get maybe a 6. if you start the spin charge, you'll start at like 1, but can reach a 10 depending on how many times u charge it up by pressing B. this means u need some preperation for the attack, but can come out better in the end (faster, and probably more damage).

now as I said you can most likely only use the spin charge on the ground (how can he charge it in the air?), but you can use the spin dash in the air, making it also a recovery move as sakurai suggested. and for when ur in a spin dash (from the down or side B, aka once your rolling), if you jump, you will still stay in a ball for some time of the jump in which you can still hurt ppl, as sakurai said you can hit them with the spin dash, then jump at them still in the ball to hurt them again.

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
I like how Sakurai is encouraging combing. As for the Spin Dash, i also think its odd for them to take up 2 slots. Its kind of a waste if u ask me, even if they do slightly different things.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
IIRC, Sonic's down-B was called the Dash Attack, and was introduced in STH 2. It worked just like his spin dash (which was previously activated by simply pressing down while running full speed), except that it could be charged up for extra speed and power. The downside was that you had to be standing still to activate it.

I think that's the intended difference between the two moves in smash. Side B = can be done in midair, while Down B = a way of charging the side-B, but you have to be on the ground and are probably vulnerable while charging

(Note: if someone beat me to this, I'm sorry. I didn't read the whole thread)

.Yoshi

Smash Journeyman
Side B allows you to hop into attacks (combos)
Down B you just dash like in a Sonic game, like Jiggly's rollout, but you might be able to stop yourself.

BTW, there have been mistranslations in the Dojo in the past :)
Hop on Pop

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
IIRC, Sonic's down-B was called the Dash Attack, and was introduced in STH 2. It worked just like his spin dash (which was previously activated by simply pressing down while running full speed), except that it could be charged up for extra speed and power. The downside was that you had to be standing still to activate it.

I think that's the intended difference between the two moves in smash. Side B = can be done in midair, while Down B = a way of charging the side-B, but you have to be on the ground and are probably vulnerable while charging

(Note: if someone beat me to this, I'm sorry. I didn't read the whole thread)
pressing down while running was simply called rolling. the move introduce in STH2 was the "spin dash." yea i pretty much said what u said, just with a couple extra points. its like 3 or so posts ^

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Anybody remember playing Sonic 2 on the Genesis? If not, download it on VC. Anyways, in those games, you could spin dash while running by pressing down or you could stop and charge a spin dash. Spin-dashing from a run didn't give him much, he maintained his speed(unless he was going up/down a slope) but he was somewhat safe in case an enemy decided to be in front of him.

Charging and then spin-dashing was different though. Charging it gave sonic a HELLA speedburst and if you timed the button press correctly, it gave him a really good long jump. You momentarily lost the mobility but you more than make up for it.

From what I see, Sonic's Side B may be more like a faster/more combo-able Egg Roll while his Down B will be somewhat like Rollout.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
in the original Sonic games most of your time was spent rolling into enemies either by simply jumping or using the spin dash

the movelist makes perfect sense to me, so far :ohwell:

Exactly. Sakurai even says in the update that Sonic's games typically used only one button, so he didn't really have a variety of moves. I'm perfectly fine with this. I'd rather his moveset reflect the nature of Sonic's games than for it to include a bunch of made up stuff that's out of character for Sonic to do. Really, he runs, spins and jumps. That's about it.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
pressing down while running was simply called rolling. the move introduce in STH2 was the "spin dash." yea i pretty much said what u said, just with a couple extra points. its like 3 or so posts ^

Yeah, I saw it after I posted. And I guess the move was called the Spin Dash Attack, so we're both right :-p

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
As for the move that was seen at the start of Sonic's fight with Mario where he did his Spin Dash back and forth rapidly... I'm certain it was his DOWN SMASH. Dsmashes have a long history of hitting on both sides of the character using them, i.e. Peach, Mario, Fox, etc.

Aphotik

Smash Apprentice
What happens with the Spring if Sonic uses it in midair?
It falls down?
Most likely. He probably uses it and it either hovers there for a few seconds via rocket booster on the bottom, or it falls immediately after he uses it. That's my guess anyway.

For his Neutral B, perhaps it is his homing attack?

tennisthehilife

Smash Lord
Oh no. Looking bad for Kirby's copy ability. I want Kirby to use Sonic's Spin Dash against him to keep up w/ Sonic's awesome speed and win! Kirby could use it to easily chain in combos. Neutral B = Spin Dash also? Well I want Kirby to be able to spin dash then for finish spin, Kirby uses his Melee neutral air. Mindgames + Mess around w/ Sonic. Spin Dash can be used 2 times maybe more + kirby neutral air for additional spin. Spin Dash :D

Burninator

Smash Journeyman
well, to be honest, I haven't played ANY of his games... I only used to watch the cartoons...
(-_-')
BTW, he didn't roll in the cartoons, he twisted. Maybe that's his neutral b?
That's like trying to make a Mario moveset based on the cartoons.

B - Fireball
Down B - Eat pasta
Side B - Make corny jokes based on Italian stereotypes. And fat jokes.

Sonic's moveset is based on some of his best games, so I'm perfectly happy with it. Thw classic sound effects are a nice touch. :D

PKnight

Smash Cadet
In all fairness, in Sonic's games two of his 'different' attacks were spins.

One, you would hold down and charge up the spin, and blast off at a high speed blasting through anything that was in your path.

Two, if you already had a little speed going, you'd jump and Sonic would spin, enabling you to jump on opponents.

Essentially two different attacks with simply similar spinning movements.

The spring is a very cool idea though, especially since it can be left behind if used on ground level. I can see that tripping people up that had a combo in mind, but instead are forced to jump.

It's obvious that his two spinning moves both have very different applications at least, which is the important thing. I mean just look at what he does to Mario in his video. Bad *** to the max, and all he has to do is spin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom