• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Let downs

Status
Not open for further replies.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
It must be a pathetically-sad hobby of yours to take everything I say out of context. I was comparing the 2-D Sonic to other Genesis games of it's era, obviously. Besides other platform games, what the hell else would it make sense to compare it to? Seriously...common freaking sense. Saying the Genesis Sonic games defined speed only makes sense if you're talking about other platformers in general. The way most gamers act is as if 2-D Sonic games offered the fastest gameplay ever which sure as hell was not the case. The 3-D Sonic's on the other hand...I can't think of any game that gave me a better sense of speed with the exception of F-Zero GX.

I'd say those 4 are:
- Sonic 3D Blast
- Sonic Labyrinth
- Sonic Heroes
- and possibly the Secret Rings (never played it, but what I feared about it is true according to SiD)
sonic heros?! secret rings?! what about next-gen? rivals? you can't say those weren't let-downs

Dolla Billz Don't Lie Nygga

Smash Apprentice
Dartmouth College...pymping the 603 straight up
why a ds? rivals is a psp game
Oops, my bad. That's what I meant. Confused it with Rush...which is nothing like Rivals at all, but I'm not big on handheld gaming so it's hard for me to keep tracking of the handheld Sonic titles. I said "screw you" to handhelds back when Pokemon first went big because I'd rather not have people think I was automatically playing Pokemon just because I was using a handheld system.

Marie_54

Smash Ace
I'd say those 4 are:
- Sonic 3D Blast
- Sonic Labyrinth
- Sonic Heroes
- and possibly the Secret Rings (never played it, but what I feared about it is true according to SiD)

Honestly i like Sonic Heroes... It has a lot of negative points but it is ok.

And yes fear the secret rings... I bought that crap used and returned it the next day for horrible game play, annoying menu navigation and music that made me want to shoot myself...

One more thing... I played Sonic 2006 in my cousin's ps3 and Sonic is slow........:psycho:
It was a complete horror, and then we tried to play 2P and the camera angles made it impossible to play. You are not missing out on anything! Ooh and Shadow gets to have the WORST thing in the Shadow game, to ride cars that go slower than him and you can't jump out of the car until it is stopped and yet the best part which is to be able to shoot things was removed probably because of "Omg gunz are bad!" whinners... Geez Tails had a gun on SA2 and i don't remember so much pandemonium over it! The whinners even forgot about it because they usually say "A Sonic character with a gun is an unexpected outrage!!"

Ok time to stop ranting. :dizzy:

The Adder

Smash Apprentice
Good Lord SatSR >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sonic Heroes IMHO. At least I could beat SatSR in a decent amount of time when I bought it. It took me a month to beat the first level of Team Dark's stage when I bought SH because they didn't stick to the loop-de-loop like they were supposed to. When they hit the booster they'd go flying off into the ocean. What the hell kind of developement team lets a glitch like that get by them?! I enjoyed SatSR for what it was, and I tried to enjoy SH, and probably would have, if it weren't so **** glitchy.

Marie_54

Smash Ace
Good Lord SatSR >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sonic Heroes IMHO. At least I could beat SatSR in a decent amount of time when I bought it. It took me a month to beat the first level of Team Dark's stage when I bought SH because they didn't stick to the loop-de-loop like they were supposed to. When they hit the booster they'd go flying off into the ocean. What the hell kind of developement team lets a glitch like that get by them?! I enjoyed SatSR for what it was, and I tried to enjoy SH, and probably would have, if it weren't so **** glitchy.
Wow man i was going to say one of the negative points of Sonic Heroes was that it was way too easy(Except for collecting the emeralds it was quite annoying) When i didn't die on a stage because of a glitch I usually got a rank A the first time i played it even with team dark... In a month i already had unlocked Metal Overlord...(And was way dissapointed it was way too easy, i had hoped to race him like in Sonic CD) Then a couple of weeks later i unlocked Hard mode. But its true that the speed characters were way too glitchy, i had to avoid boosting at all costs...

The hardest parts of the game were: not dying because of a glitch, collecting the chaos emeralds, and abstaining from going over to the story writer's house to slap him for making a crappy story with a good plot line(Metal Sonic rebelling). And especially that you don't get to fight Neo Metal Sonic... He looked so cool. T_T

Smash Apprentice
And yes fear the secret rings... I bought that crap used and returned it the next day for horrible game play, annoying menu navigation and music that made me want to shoot myself...

One more thing... I played Sonic 2006 in my cousin's ps3 and Sonic is slow........:psycho:
It was a complete horror, and then we tried to play 2P and the camera angles made it impossible to play. You are not missing out on anything! Ooh and Shadow gets to have the WORST thing in the Shadow game, to ride cars that go slower than him and you can't jump out of the car until it is stopped and yet the best part which is to be able to shoot things was removed probably because of "Omg gunz are bad!" whinners... Geez Tails had a gun on SA2 and i don't remember so much pandemonium over it! The whinners even forgot about it because they usually say "A Sonic character with a gun is an unexpected outrage!!"
Meh, I have a strong feeling both SatSR and Sonic 2006 are both terrible. Too bad my Sonic fandom implores me to try them anyways. I'm more eager to try Sonic 2006 since it's actually a canon Sonic platformer as opposed to that Arabian rollercoaster bull****.

It took me a month to beat the first level of Team Dark's stage when I bought SH because they didn't stick to the loop-de-loop like they were supposed to. When they hit the booster they'd go flying off into the ocean. What the hell kind of developement team lets a glitch like that get by them?!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA. Sorry to laugh, but that's pricelessly funny...and sad on Sega's part...

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
Meh, I have a strong feeling both SatSR and Sonic 2006 are both terrible. Too bad my Sonic fandom implores me to try them anyways. I'm more eager to try Sonic 2006 since it's actually a canon Sonic platformer as opposed to that Arabian rollercoaster bull****.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA. Sorry to laugh, but that's pricelessly funny...and sad on Sega's part...
SatSR actually wasn't that bad. I don't have the diligence like some people to finish it all in one sitting, so I pop it in from time to time and beat a few levels.And as far as Sonic Next gen being canon, I'm not sure if by that you mean it stays true to the characters because if so, it does, but it has no tie in to the continuous adventure because 1) it was said to be a "what if Sonic was real" game and 2)
at the end of the game it turns out the adventure really happened,so there's nothing to be canon about! :p

Marie_54

Smash Ace
Those were my exact thoughts!! :laugh: Its always nice to find out for yourself so i recommend you buy a used copy or rent it, if it comes out on the PC. (Well atleast in GameStop you can't return New video games...)

veil222

Smash Journeyman
Since SA:2 it's been downhill, mostly story, next to take the bullet is gameplay. SatSR wasn't too bad, I just hate how all games nowadays are made for softcore people who think over 20-30 hours of gameplay is impossible. If they would make better story lines and go back to focusing on really fast paced stages then I'd be satisfied. In relevance to brawl, he's an automatic win, because of him move sec I can pretend like his crappy versions never happened, hence, sonic will be in a good game again keeping him alive.

SonicMario

Smash Master
What about Sonic Adventure DX? I don't hear much of that game. Probably because it's a do over of Sonic Adventure plus bonuses. But then again SA2B is also a do over plus bonuses.

True Fool

Smash Ace
I honestly haven't liked any Sonic games since his first one on the DC. I wouldn't go so far as to say that they're all bad games, but they just don't draw me in.

As far as let downs related to Sonic in Brawl, really hate his colors. Come on, his f*cking shoes? Thanks, I'm going to have a real fun time telling myself apart from the CPU.

SonicSSJX the Hedgehog

Smash Apprentice

I never had trouble with that part. :/

Ca$hoholic

Smash Journeyman
The Cold north! even though it is pretty hot...
SA2B & sonic heroes was pretty cool if you ask me (heroes because of its music and team chaotix xD)
But when you look away fromthe great songs and cool Crocodiles the game was pretty lame (why didnt they make Super Tails & Super Knuckles while hey was at it)

SA2B was cool cuz its great gameplay, Cool storylibe and the Chaos :p

I dont know anything about the older games cause the first thing i played was Sonic advance on advance <_<, after seeing the box of sonic on sonic advance i was like: "hum... whos that guy i think i have seen him some place before, therefore bought the game and since thaty sonic has been my favorite non nintendo games. :D

Smash Apprentice
And as far as Sonic Next gen being canon, I'm not sure if by that you mean it stays true to the characters because if so, it does
That's what I meant. What else would I mean? It's not like Sonic CD tied in with Sonic 2 and yet they're both canon. It's not like Sonic & Knuckles tied in with SA1 at all either (besides the fact that Knuckles lives on the Floating Island...whoop-de-do) and yet they're both canon as well.

Those were my exact thoughts!! :laugh: Its always nice to find out for yourself so i recommend you buy a used copy or rent it, if it comes out on the PC. (Well atleast in GameStop you can't return New video games...)
That's just it though. It's all about eBay for me. I bought both SA:DX and Sonic Heroes (PC versions) for $6 each. A much better deal than renting if you weigh out cost relative to time of posession...and a much better deal that buying the games for the Gamecube the year in which they came out. So even if Sonic 2006 sucks as bad as everyone says, I'd gladly be willing to drop like 5 or 6 bucks on it should it be ported to PC. That way, I increase my Sonic game collection at the mere cost of a Subway sandwich.

I never had trouble with that part. :/
I didn't either....but it's still funny as hell.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Well, as for my opinion...

Old Sonic games: I laugh at the fact that people keep saying this was the era where Sonic was "fast". Try standing still in front of a hill and try to walk up. Fast my ***, Mario could keep up with that. The only way Sonic could go fast was by going downhill or charging a spindash that would take forever to charge and would last for half a second either because you would go up a hill again or would bump against a rock. Trying to jump over it murderd your speed too. Beside the horrible slopes and bad visibility, it was rather decent.

Sonic Adventure series: For me, these games were Sonic's best. Speedy games IF you could keep up and knew how to do a decently timed spindash while running, and it had a decent story. A big downside was the fact that some character's levels sucked ***. Big, Tails/Eggman in machine, E-102, Amy, and Knuckles/Rouge. Basicly, I only like Sonic, Shadow, Tails, and Knuckles, so it wasn't a big deal for me, but it might be horrible for players who love characters like Knuckles alot.

Sonic Heroes: Nice and fast, and not that bad when you think gameplay wise. It does have some horrible story line issues, and team chaotix was irritating. Its also not that exciting as a game. I hate it that team switching had to be forced, though. Or that you had to take a team with you in the first place. I would always let my teammates get caught by those robots and run further as Sonic alone.

Shadow the hedgehog: I expected a Sonic-like game. I got cool wanabe crap instead.

Sonic next gen: I feel like it could have been a nice game. If you would you just concentrate less on the enemy fighting, more on the speed, take more time on perfecting the engine and adding multiple paths, and seriously improving the story cutscenes, it would be nice. It doesn't feel like a bad game at all. It feels like it could have been way better. It seems rushed.

SatSR: Nice game for a while. Just lacks real levels. I would be happier if they threw the missions away and made more levels instead, with only the nice "Get To The Goal" missions and boss missions.

Sonic Advance series: Just like the old Sonic games, but a little better with the engine and graphics, and a little worse level design.

Sonic Rush series: All the good of the newer Sonic games, like homing attack and speed, with the good of the older Sonic games. Its just too bad its so short.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
The Sonic Advance series sucked mostly. The instruction booklets should just be 1 page and say press right to beat level. That was about all they had to offer.

spindash

Smash Ace
SmashWolf: I actually agree big time with you on Sonic Next Gen. Personally I didn't think it was too bad, and they were on the right track with how the game played. But it was FAR too rushed. For me, it was passable, but had a lot more room for improvement. ^^

I will disagree about Shadow the Hedgehog, however. To me, it felt like it was SUPPOSED to be a spin-off game, so of course there could be SOME liberties taken. After all, it'd start to get old if we saw the SAME thing over and over again. Mario's been able to change it up in recent days, Super Mario Galaxy = prime example of that.

I liked the game. And I'm beginning to think that listening to reviews and critics where people are often SUPPOSED to nitpick at the smallest things, is a bad idea. I'll play games for myself and have my OWN opinion on it.

Smash Apprentice

Old Sonic games: I laugh at the fact that people keep saying this was the era where Sonic was "fast". Try standing still in front of a hill and try to walk up. Fast my ***, Mario could keep up with that. The only way Sonic could go fast was by going downhill or charging a spindash that would take forever to charge and would last for half a second either because you would go up a hill again or would bump against a rock. Trying to jump over it murderd your speed too. Beside the horrible slopes and bad visibility, it was rather decent.
My thoughts exactly...
Sonic Adventure series: For me, these games were Sonic's best.
With regards to how Sonic played? Yes. With regards to how all the others played and all the physics bugs and collsion detection/camera issues...definitely no.
Speedy games IF you could keep up and knew how to do a decently timed spindash while running, and it had a decent story. A big downside was the fact that some character's levels sucked ***. Big, Tails/Eggman in machine, E-102, Amy, and Knuckles/Rouge. Basicly, I only like Sonic, Shadow, Tails, and Knuckles, so it wasn't a big deal for me, but it might be horrible for players who love characters like Knuckles alot.
My thoughts exactly...
Sonic Heroes: Nice and fast, and not that bad when you think gameplay wise.
Speed-wise, it was decent. The stopping to do battle was absurdly tedious, repetitive, and ruined all momentum gained by speed. As for the levels tasting an asston of time to beat...absolutely ****ing ridiculous.
Shadow the hedgehog: I expected a Sonic-like game. I got cool wanabe crap instead.
Uh, that's kinda vague...

veil222

Smash Journeyman
I don't think I'm ever going to get a sonic game that's as good as it could be for me because of how sonic is marketed nowadays, well, how video games are geared in general. All games are easier now, to some extent, all games are now shorter, and easier. For me, a sonic game should be a harder difficulty game or at least have the potential to be really challenging. I remember when beating a game was a big deal, when you actually had to be good at gaming to make it through to the end. Now I know kids that are 9-15 years old that are like "Yea i beat twilite prinsess in leik 35 hours lol"

Sonic would have to contradict this trend, it would have to be fast enough to make you mess up alot if you didn't know what you were doing. The stages would have to be pretty dangerous (note, not "sonic glitched off the side and died" dangerous) and challenging. Lastly, it would have to be long.... like... 50 hours initial gameplay 100+ hours secrets gameplay time.

In reference to brawl.... well, I'm just glad he's in a good game again.

SonicSSJX the Hedgehog

Smash Apprentice
I liked Sonic Advance 1 the best (It had a classic feel IMO), 3 was great (It felt like Sonic Heroes), I never really played 2, but it was good.

Sonic Rush Adventure > Sonic Rush > Sonic Advance 1-3.

redphoenix526

Smash Apprentice
The skies above and the shelter (dorm) at Indiana
I don't think I'm ever going to get a sonic game that's as good as it could be for me because of how sonic is marketed nowadays, well, how video games are geared in general. All games are easier now, to some extent, all games are now shorter, and easier. For me, a sonic game should be a harder difficulty game or at least have the potential to be really challenging. I remember when beating a game was a big deal, when you actually had to be good at gaming to make it through to the end. Now I know kids that are 9-15 years old that are like "Yea i beat twilite prinsess in leik 35 hours lol"

Sonic would have to contradict this trend, it would have to be fast enough to make you mess up alot if you didn't know what you were doing. The stages would have to be pretty dangerous (note, not "sonic glitched off the side and died" dangerous) and challenging. Lastly, it would have to be long.... like... 50 hours initial gameplay 100+ hours secrets gameplay time.

In reference to brawl.... well, I'm just glad he's in a good game again.

Well, it's part of how games in general are marketed. It's cheaper for companies to make shorter, less complex video games and reuse a lot of stuff (like the levels in Sonic Heroes). It looks like, though, that Sakurai is really putting in effort into Brawl to make it an excellent game worth the time, which would defy that trend. As for Sonic's games themselves, they seem to follow the trend pretty well.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero

Evidently you must haver tried going backwards. I've never had a problem going full speed in the game especially in S&K3. That and they gave you the spindash to get up those difficult hills.
As for bad visibility I don't understand what you are talking about. The slopes were designed to make the game other than a hold right to get to the finish. A problem that has occurred in Sonic Advance 1 and 2.
I recommend going to the carnival stage of Sonic 3 2nd Act you'll definitely see the speed in several areas.
Sonic Adventure series: For me, these games were Sonic's best. Speedy games IF you could keep up and knew how to do a decently timed spindash while running, and it had a decent story. A big downside was the fact that some character's levels sucked ***. Big, Tails/Eggman in machine, E-102, Amy, and Knuckles/Rouge. Basicly, I only like Sonic, Shadow, Tails, and Knuckles, so it wasn't a big deal for me, but it might be horrible for players who love characters like Knuckles alot.
I liked tails/eggman in the machine ; (
The Knuckle and Rouge ones were awful and they slowed the pace of the game down to a crawl. not to mention it made things extremely difficult to get an A.
Those levels were the only ones where the HARD level was the easiest one of them all.
Sonic Heroes: Nice and fast, and not that bad when you think gameplay wise. It does have some horrible story line issues, and team chaotix was irritating. Its also not that exciting as a game. I hate it that team switching had to be forced, though. Or that you had to take a team with you in the first place. I would always let my teammates get caught by those robots and run further as Sonic alone.
The team system was somewhat okay it was just done poorly. Especilaly the flying team members. You went from zipping about in speed to a crawl in flying mode. It would have been better if it was similar to the previous games, you have several paths that either emphasized one team member or the other (with little involvement of the others) to one that required a mix of all three.
Power team was okay but the glide was horrible and useless in nearly everycase.
QFT
Sonic next gen: I feel like it could have been a nice game. If you would you just concentrate less on the enemy fighting, more on the speed, take more time on perfecting the engine and adding multiple paths, and seriously improving the story cutscenes, it would be nice. It doesn't feel like a bad game at all. It feels like it could have been way better. It seems rushed.
Agreed. remove silver he was a useless character for the storyline.
SatSR: Nice game for a while. Just lacks real levels. I would be happier if they threw the missions away and made more levels instead, with only the nice "Get To The Goal" missions and boss missions.
I agree with you on this, the levels were pretty good but if they added more levels and removed the mission (or maybe even made it a seperate mode) the game would have been more enjoyable.
Sonic Advance series: Just like the old Sonic games, but a little better with the engine and graphics, and a little worse level design.
They were okay but many of them I found were hold right to get to the end.
Sonic Rush series: All the good of the newer Sonic games, like homing attack and speed, with the good of the older Sonic games. Its just too bad its so short.
Well the homing attack I find isn't really used. Maybe in SRA where its semi useful but you really don't need it since the boost is just so very versatile.

redphoenix526

Smash Apprentice
The skies above and the shelter (dorm) at Indiana
I liked tails/eggman in the machine ; (
The Knuckle and Rouge ones were awful and they slowed the pace of the game down to a crawl. not to mention it made things extremely difficult to get an A.
Those levels were the only ones where the HARD level was the easiest one of them all.
Odd you'd say that. Two of my first three all-A ranks were Knuckles and Rouge. Their levels weren't really that hard (save for Meteor Herd and Mad Space), it just takes some patience, luck, and knowing how to work the levels to find the pieces. Personally, I liked all three parts, but I wish they had taken the Sonic Adventure approach and split those separate storylines up even further by character. Good game, nonetheless.

Anyway, have we all strayed off topic? I mean, this WAS all supposed to be about Sonic being a letdown in Brawl (which I don't think he is.)

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Odd you'd say that. Two of my first three all-A ranks were Knuckles and Rouge. Their levels weren't really that hard (save for Meteor Herd and Mad Space), it just takes some patience, luck, and knowing how to work the levels to find the pieces. Personally, I liked all three parts, but I wish they had taken the Sonic Adventure approach and split those separate storylines up even further by character. Good game, nonetheless.

Anyway, have we all strayed off topic? I mean, this WAS all supposed to be about Sonic being a letdown in Brawl (which I don't think he is.)

I don't understand how he can be a letdown.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
yeah but if i could change one thing it's his VA not that it's such a big deal and to sonicmario yes i get it it doesn't ruin the character but that's the only thing i want changed that and b-down in the air should be his bounce attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom