• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Generations - You're too sloooow if you haven't bought this game yet!

SwampertTheGreat

Smash Ace
And watch out for Classic Planet Wisp. Single hardest level for red rings on all the 2D levels and so many of them require precision and demands you stay on the top path or else have to start again because there's never any way back up:phone:
Oh god.Not looking forward to that

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Literally they cut you off after the ring in the fire room. If you fail to hit these pink platforms from a tiny little platform with no running for momentum space, then this door closes right behind you if you miss, which is why I'd recommend stopping shoes since you still have a chance to spin dash up the ramp you go down before the door. I just got REALLY lucky and I manage to go back up as the door close in a glitch, so I could attempt that as many times as I needed with no problem

:phone:

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Man.
I wish they chose a different place than Planet Wisp.
I mean, Aquarium Park or Asteroid Coaster would've been awesome.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I think some of the level choices WERE weak.

What was it, Chaos city I think from Sonic 2006? Did we have to revisit that game in ANY way?

That, and I wish we had a remake of Death Egg Zone, Lava Reef Zone, Hill Top Zone, Scrap Brain Zone, Red Canyon, those space stages from SA2, etc.

Re imagining the 2D stages would have been the best.

But they chose to revisit some 3D stages. And while I didn't mind, the ones from STH06, Unleashed, and Colors were kind of meh

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think them trekking up Sky Sanctuary and having the boss in Death Egg were good choices.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
It makes sense they revisited 06, that game WAS Sonic's celebration for his 15th and it's notorious for his worst game ever

Besides you forget how Crisis City was Sonics best level and besides The Savhanna level and that rainforest one which would've lagged up generations anyways, Rooftop Run was right on par as the perfect choice for the game. Planet Wisp, though, sucks **** and I wish they'd have chosen Tropical Resort instead of Planet Wisp and put that in the handheld version instead

:phone:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't think Speed Highway is the most iconic zone in Sonic's Adventure. Personally, I like Windy Valley.

I think it's because it reminds me of the feel good inc

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I don't think City escape is the most iconic zone in Sonic's Adventure. Personally, I like Windy Valley.
You mean the level from Sonic Adventure 1 and not Sonic Adventure 2, which City Escape is from?

And Planet Wisp is horrible. They FORCE upon you the rocket and spike wisps every 5 seconds, even though in Colors they were completely optional (ok maybe bar some cases), which is why they worked out so well to begin with. Besides, the Spike and Rocket Wisps weren't even the most iconic ones from Colors to begin with. If they had given you the Laser Wisp for Modern Sonic and that monster violet one or the fireball one for Classic Sonic, then maybe the level would've been more fun to begin with. They literally picked the worst Wisps from the game to represent Colors and they didn't even use them right

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
I'm trying to figure out why DIMPS is going baby's first sonic stage for every level in the 3DS generations.

Oh wait, it's because they're lazy.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You mean the level from Sonic Adventure 1 and not Sonic Adventure 2, which City Escape is from?

And Planet Wisp is horrible. They FORCE upon you the rocket and spike wisps every 5 seconds, even though in Colors they were completely optional (ok maybe bar some cases), which is why they worked out so well to begin with. Besides, the Spike and Rocket Wisps weren't even the most iconic ones from Colors to begin with. If they had given you the Laser Wisp for Modern Sonic and that monster violet one or the fireball one for Classic Sonic, then maybe the level would've been more fun to begin with. They literally picked the worst Wisps from the game to represent Colors and they didn't even use them right
I meant speed highway

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I'm trying to figure out why DIMPS is going baby's first sonic stage for every level in the 3DS generations.

Oh wait, it's because they're lazy.
Dude, it's DIMPS. What did you expect from them? Their games are alright, though it's clear that SEGA needs to hire a new team to work on their handhelds because there's probably a handfull of teams that can do a better job at it than them

And I'm still confused as to why they'd go Radical Highway for SA2 and not Metal Harbor or Green Forest, which, both kicked *** and ARE ACTUAL SONIC LEVELS

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
It is pretty hilarious how they half-***** the Shadow Battle too.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
I'd love to see:
Sonic 1: Spring Yard, Scrap Brain
Sonic 2: Aquatic Ruins, Metropolis
Sonic 3: Ice Cap, Hydrocity
Sonic & Knuckles: Lava Reef, Flying Battery
Sonic Adventure: Lost World, Twinkle Park
Sonic Adventure 2: Metal Harbor, Crazy Gadget, Final Rush
Sonic 2006: Kingdom Valley, Flame Core
Sonic Unleashed: Eggmanland, Chun-nan, Holoska
Sonic Colors: Sweet Mountain, Aquarium Park, Asteroid Coaster.
I'd say Apotos, but it's on the 3DS version (and it looks like Water Palace from Sonic Rush).

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
So I got all S ranks.... that was actually REALLY easy, even for Planet Wisp (Which I'm starting to get warmed up to with Modern Sonic since I've played them so much I can run through them now, although Classic Sonic, **** you)

I was also playing with the settings and noticed there was an option for different languages.

French Sonic sounds lol, Spanish Sonic is what the flying **** and Italian Sonic... well he's the least weirdest sounding of them all

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I used Japanese for a while, but just switched back to english

Edit: They should have put the old school SEEEEEE-GAAA

at the beggining instead of deep voice SEGA

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Gonna have to pull out my post on another forum for this...

The levels picked are not only among the ones picked by the fans and employees, but are also, as SSMB member ExShad pointed out, stages that represent significant facets of Sonic's history and how much the franchise comprises:

Spoiler:- spoiler:

Green Hill: South Island. Where it all started, and where all of Sonic 1 takes place. Often revisited in other games, including Sonic Battle and Sonic Chronicles

Chemical Plant: One of the many bases Eggman has constructed in his bid for global domination.

Sky Sanctuary: References Angel Island, the location of all of Sonic 3 and most of Sonic and Knuckles, in its structure and cameo in the far background. Also references the Death Egg, Eggman's ultimate project in the Genesis games, by its ever-looming presence in the background. A really climactic chapter in the Death Egg saga.

Speed Highway: Located in the skylines of Station Square, the first reputable sign of current human civilization in the Sonic universe, which becomes a prominent detail in most of the other subsequent games.

City Escape: Located in Central City, the capital city of the United Federations, which houses G.U.N., a prominent antagonistic force in the first half of Sonic Adventure 2 and in most of Shadow the Hedgehog. Reinforces the concept of humans co-inhabiting with Sonic's friends, and G.U.N.'s presence is the first to introduce antagonists that are not allies with Eggman.

Seaside Hill: The first instance of a hearkening back to the original Sonic games since the redesign and re-imagining in Sonic Adventure. Acts as the first "bridge" between the Classic Games and the then Modern games.

Crisis City: The future. Simple as.

Rooftop Run: Spagonia, typically seen as the main "world" in Sonic Unleashed. Establishes an idea on how expansive Sonic's world is and where he has gone to in his solitary adventures, as Spagonia's design and architect is significantly different from those found in Station Square and Central City.

Planet Wisp: Self-explanatory. An extension of what Rooftop Run accomplished; shows that Sonic has run through other planets in addition to his own.

The stages serve double time in their roles in Generations: not only are they what most of the fans think are the iconic locations in Sonic's history, they are also satisfactory representatives of how far the Sonic franchise has gone and what it has done.
I still stand by this sentiment.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Lava Reef Zone: HOLY *******************************************

Red Canyon: HOLY *******************************************

Hydrocity: HOLY *******************************************

Death Egg Zone: HOLY *******************************************

Need I go on? These reasons alone should suffice

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Speed Highway: HOLY ******************************

Sky Sanctuary: HOLY *******************************

Planet Wisp: HOLY ********************************

Crisis City: HOLY ****************************

I can play the same game.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I'm sorry, but Sky Sanctuary 1000000x better than Lava Reef and Hydrocity, Red Canyon is in Sonic Riders and that's just some side game that plays nicely, and there's already Sky Sanctuary so putting in a Death Egg Zone would be ****ing useless since the boss battlte already takes place there

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'm sorry, but Sky Sanctuary 1000000x better than Lava Reef and Hydrocity, Red Canyon is in Sonic Riders and that's just some side game that plays nicely, and there's already Sky Sanctuary so putting in a Death Egg Zone would be ****ing useless since the boss battlte already takes place there
Lies and slander. Being that I played the **** out of those games as a kid, I don't know how in god's name you're going to tell me one is better than the other, especially that being a subject of opinion.

I feel they could have revisit those levels instead of spackgonya and fairy world.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Sonic Generations: The 20th Anniversary game where Sonic revisits only levels from before 1995.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sounds levels better than what we received towards the end of the game.

Now your getting it!

:b:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I can say without a hint of regret or disingenuous manner that I would have preferred to play in a Sonic Unleashed level and a Sonic Colors level than having to explore Sonic 3&K a second and third time.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
That would be your loss.

A re imagining of all those stages in both classic and modern Sonic modes would be so dang awesome

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
As "awesome" as that may be, it would be a detrimental path to take for a 20th anniversary game. Which brings me back to my "20th Anniversary game where Sonic revisits only levels from before 1995" statement.

I would have been ****ing stoked if Oil Ocean was remade, but Chemical Plant was picked instead and I got over it in an instant instead of crying "What could have been," or "Why not this stage too?!?"

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
No, it was to celebrate his 20th anniversary.

Much like Skyward Sword is to commemorate the Zelda franchise's birthday, as is the 3DS Zelda bundle, free 4sword DL and remake of OoT.

You see my point?

Besides, if that was the case - Where's the homage to Sonic CD? Sonic 3D Blast? Sonic Crackers? Secret Rings? Black Knight? The Sonic Advance games? Rush? Dark brotherhood?

:I

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Sonic does not have to copy what Zelda's doing in order to make an anniversary bash. Zelda has a remake, a port, a special 3DS design, and a new game, admittedly when we should have expected one. Sonic is taking everything from the past 20 years and bundling it up as one title, with each game getting represented one way or another.

Metal Sonic Boss fight, both the JP and US Stardust Speedway themes got remixed, Palmtree Panic is in the game.

Sonic 3D Blast
The Saturn version's theme got remixed, Genesis version's Diamond Dust Zone got a softfont remix.

Sonic Crackers
Sonic what?

Secret Rings
Let the Speed Mend it, and Seven Rings in Hand are in the game. Game gets referenced by Sonic in-game thus making it canon, which effectively makes BK canon.

Sonic Advance Games
Neo Green Hill Zone, Leaf Forest, Route 99 softfont remixes.

Right There Ride On, Blaze's biography confirms her Rush origin as the true one.

Dark Brotherhood
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Are any of those remotely comparable in significance to the Genesis trilogy, the 2 Adventures, Heroes, the 15th anniversary title, Unleashed, or Colors?

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
No, it was to celebrate his 20th anniversary.

Much like Skyward Sword is to commemorate the Zelda franchise's birthday, as is the 3DS Zelda bundle, free 4sword DL and remake of OoT.

You see my point?

Besides, if that was the case - Where's the homage to Sonic CD? Sonic 3D Blast? Sonic Crackers? Secret Rings? Black Knight? The Sonic Advance games? Rush? Dark brotherhood?

:I
Alright, the Zelda series is 100% completely different than the Sonic series. Comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges

And Sonic CD is already getting a remake for the holiday season and the Metal Sonic boss battle in Stardust Speedway is already in the game. Sonic Crackers isn't even an actual game, and all those other games aren't main Sonic games. If you ask someone on the street to name every Sonic game made, they're going to name Sonic 1, Sonic 2, CD, Sonic 3 (and Knuckles), SA1, SA2, Heroes, 06, Unleashed, and Colors. Not many people actually remember 3D Blast unless they're a fanboy as well as the Advance series, the Chronicles series, the Rush series, and Crackers. Hell, crackers wasn't even a real game, it was just a tech demo or something to show concept for what Knuckles Chaotix was gonna be.

If you're going to say Chronicles, Chronicles was just some crappy RPG game with a decent story and maybe 1 or 2 gems of music. The Advance series is widely panned for having crappy physics and pretty bad gameplay (I liked them though imo), 3D Blast was also criticized for crappy controls and weird gameplay, and the Rush series has been criticized for being boost to win.

And before you start going off on a tangent as to why 06 got picked on that basis, Sonic 06 was Sonic's 15th anniversary game. It'd be plain wrong to ignore that game even though it was made to celebrate 15 years of Sonic history.

Oh, and all the games you listed, there's references to those games in the game in the form of music. It shows that SEGA DOES realize that those games are part of the Sonic history, but they obviously can't pick out every level from the series

EDIT:

SS, this is Sonic Crackers, a prototype of Knuckles Chaotix which only has like 2 levels that are most incomplete I think and are very buggy

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Are any of those remotely comparable in significance to the Genesis trilogy, the 2 Adventures, Heroes, the 15th anniversary title, Unleashed, or Colors?
You think at least CD and 3D blast aren't? What in god's name?

And I find those above choices far better than choosing something from that travesty they called STH 2006. How could they even dedicate that game for his birthday? At the very least. And I don't know why they'd want to revisit a game they released less than a year ago.

Those stages. Unleashed and Colors? i have no doubt that was a copypasta deal.

Also - I didn't mean to say crackers, i meant to say Sonic Shuffle.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Ask any bloke on the street about Sonic CD, and nine times out of ten, they'll mention first and foremost, if not only, the Metal Sonic race on Stardust Speedway Act 3, Bad Future. And lo and behold, the most significant aspect of Sonic CD is in the game, song, stage assets, and all. Now compare it to the Genesis games, where one camp is proclaiming for Ice Cap while another is bellowing "Hydrocity!", another is screaming for Starlight Zone, and then me in my own little corner screeching with a very loud voice "OIL OCEAN ZONE!"

Thing about 3D Blast is that the gameplay is significantly different to any other game on the block. Where the other games have you going from Point A to Point B as fast as possible, 3D Blast has you in a sandbox world collecting little "tokens" to advance, like a miniature Super Mario 64. Kinda hard to transition open sandbox levels into A-B levels without siphoning out what made the game so unique.

and Colors? i have no doubt that was a copypasta deal.
A level made only for the Wii literally copypasted onto the HD consoles?

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Crap.
Forgot to mention the Heroes levels I want in.
I'd like to see any of them, honestly. They're all awesome.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
A level made only for the Wii literally copypasted onto the HD consoles?

Throw in some Bump mapping lighting effects and there you have it. Looks Modern.

And hey. They had room in reinvent past stages. They could have done the same for the 3D blast games.

But you stay happy with what we got. I'll complain that it wasn't enough.

Good? Good.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
And hey. They had room in reinvent past stages. They could have done the same for the 3D blast games.
Except that they couldn't. Not at this point in time at least.

The tagline they picked up for this game was "3 Eras. 2 Hedgehogs. 1 Epic Adventure." The Eras were divvied up between the Genesis Era, Dreamcast Era, and the Modern Era. Because of time constraints, and the outrageous amount of data needed to make the levels presentable and long (as in length) enough to be comparable to a regular level on another, slower game, there was only enough data to create 9 full-on levels among the boss battles, rival battles, music storage, and other miscellaneous data. 9/3 = 3. To be fair to all the fans on the spectrum (yes, this includes the 2006 fans and Unleashed fans), 3 levels were assigned to each era. To go even deeper, each of those 3 levels within the particular era were assigned to a different game. Everyone's "happy," for better or for worse.

Now, is there potential for DLC levels, levels which would be stored onto the hard drive of the console, and not on the disc itself? Levels that might, say, cover games that could not be initially represented through stages? Absolutely. We just have to wait until then.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
They could have waited some and released it with these re imagined levels. A game could only get better when it is delayed.

It's too short, I highly doubt all that they did would've taken up a DVD, or even a Blu-Ray disc.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
You think at least CD and 3D blast aren't? What in god's name?

You're not listening, they are already making a Sonic CD remake for his 20th anniversary and they already included music and a boss level based on Sonic CD in Generations

SEGA hasn't forgotten about CD dammit, they just didn't include it in Generations as a full on level and even the creator expressed regret not being able to put in CD as a level as well

And come on, 3D Blast wasn't THAT memorable or revolutionary. If anything it was a "3D" version of Sonic Labyrinth that controlled better and was actually fun. It wasn't even that well known unlike the other 3D games and it isn't even true 3D.

And I find those above choices far better than choosing something from that travesty they called STH 2006. How could they even dedicate that game for his birthday? At the very least. And I don't know why they'd want to revisit a game they released less than a year ago.
It WAS supposed to end up better than what it did, but various factors such as one of the lead creators of the game leaving and Microsoft overworking SEGA to make the game in time for the holiday season made it suck. It was going to end up being better and it really did look like it was going to be an appropriate Sonic game for his 15th, but in the end it ended up being a piece of **** with beautiful music. And besides, it's his 15th anniversary game whether or not it was good or not, they can't deny it's existence. Even if it wasn't his 15th, it's still extremely infamous for it's glitchiness

Those stages. Unleashed and Colors? i have no doubt that was a copypasta deal.
Those stages. Sonic 1, Sonic 2, and Sonic 3? I have no doubt that was a copypasta deal

Also - I didn't mean to say crackers, i meant to say Sonic Shuffle.
Shuffle was some Mario Party rip off most people hated

EDIT:

Dude, that game IS NOT short. I dare you to try and 100% everything in that game. Everything

And I should know because I'm trying to do that myself. That means, complete the story, beat all the bosses on hard mode, get S ranks on every stage, get all the achievements, and get all the red rings. I already have all the red rings, bosses on hard mode, got S ranks on every stage, and get all the artwork/music, but do you have any ****ing idea on how. many. side missions. there are in this game? There's like 50 side missions for both Sonics each, and there's a **** ton of unlockables too

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You're not listening, they are already making a Sonic CD remake for his 20th anniversary and they already included music and a boss level based on Sonic CD in Generations

SEGA hasn't forgotten about CD dammit, they just didn't include it in Generations as a full on level and even the creator expressed regret not being able to put in CD as a level as well

You right. Definitely better to leave it out and include Sonic 2006.

And come on, 3D Blast wasn't THAT memorable or revolutionary. If anything it was a "3D" version of Sonic Labyrinth that controlled better and was actually fun. It wasn't even that well known unlike the other 3D games and it isn't even true 3D.

No more revolutionary that Sonic 2 or 3.

It WAS supposed to end up better than what it did, but various factors such as one of the lead creators of the game leaving and Microsoft overworking SEGA to make the game in time for the holiday season made it suck. It was going to end up being better and it really did look like it was going to be an appropriate Sonic game for his 15th, but in the end it ended up being a piece of **** with beautiful music. And besides, it's his 15th anniversary game whether or not it was good or not, they can't deny it's existence. Even if it wasn't his 15th, it's still extremely infamous for it's glitchiness

They just wanted to remind us of the travesty

Those stages. Sonic 1, Sonic 2, and Sonic 3? I have no doubt that was a copypasta deal

Word. I loved seeing those 16 bit graphics and the Blast processing from those games. Glad they completely emulated the games by using the same sprites, hit boxes, and color palette.

Shuffle was some Mario Party rip off most people hated

And so does everyone of Sonic 2006. But it's okay to have it in there.
In the quote, holmes.

Top Bottom