• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic General Discussion/Social thread

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
PS2 is questionable for Sonic. :applejack:
WarioWare is okay, but it's never Sonic's best choice. :applejack:

Last edited:

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
I generally dislike a lot of stages people consider to be good Sonic stages, like Yoshi's Island (B) and the like. I gravitate towards stages I myself feel good on, and places I can push with my playstyle. I mean, it's all matchup dependent, but for me any stage can be a good Sonic stage depending on your playstyle. From what I've seen and heard from the forums and from videos, my Sonic doesn't exactly behave like Nazo's, or Darky or MapMark. Either way, I think Wario Ware is great for Sonic, it's a stage I'm super-comfortable with, and Espy is wrong and smells of apples.

Currently I'm lulzing about with some tactics I'm looking into again now that my spacing game is a bit better than it used to be. Not saying I would have beaten Oro(tbh I could've beaten him at Shuffle, I feel we're very close in skill and with another set it could go either way), but I'm seeing good results against Fox and Falco.

Back to stages, I'll admit PS2 isn't Sonic's best stage, but I think it's his best Doubles stage now that SSE:Jungle isn't a thing and Distant Planet's platforms are less than ideal for my kind of bouncing around. PS2 is just sort of my favorite type of place to be, and I hate Smashville with a burning passion because that platform tends to get in my way more than helps me with my kills. Out of the "neutrals"(I have my reservations about the bottom seven), I think Yoshi's and FoD are likely Sonic's go-to stages, but I detest Fountain from the standpoint of I-get-my-stuff-rocked-there. Sonic really shines on the counterpicks, with Skyloft being Uair bait and Skyworld giving you some great recovery mixups(the odd asymmetric top platform can be good for uairs but it's a bit too high up for my liking), but WW is where it's at.

I've heard plenty of Sonic's say that Green Hill is great for the hedgehog, but I hate it. Thoughts?

Neptune Shiranui

Shadow Streak~
NNID
Darky_Shiranui
I generally dislike a lot of stages people consider to be good Sonic stages, like Yoshi's Island (B) and the like. I gravitate towards stages I myself feel good on, and places I can push with my playstyle. I mean, it's all matchup dependent, but for me any stage can be a good Sonic stage depending on your playstyle. From what I've seen and heard from the forums and from videos, my Sonic doesn't exactly behave like Nazo's, or Darky or MapMark. Either way, I think Wario Ware is great for Sonic, it's a stage I'm super-comfortable with, and Espy is wrong and smells of apples.

Currently I'm lulzing about with some tactics I'm looking into again now that my spacing game is a bit better than it used to be. Not saying I would have beaten Oro(tbh I could've beaten him at Shuffle, I feel we're very close in skill and with another set it could go either way), but I'm seeing good results against Fox and Falco.

Back to stages, I'll admit PS2 isn't Sonic's best stage, but I think it's his best Doubles stage now that SSE:Jungle isn't a thing and Distant Planet's platforms are less than ideal for my kind of bouncing around. PS2 is just sort of my favorite type of place to be, and I hate Smashville with a burning passion because that platform tends to get in my way more than helps me with my kills. Out of the "neutrals"(I have my reservations about the bottom seven), I think Yoshi's and FoD are likely Sonic's go-to stages, but I detest Fountain from the standpoint of I-get-my-stuff-rocked-there. Sonic really shines on the counterpicks, with Skyloft being Uair bait and Skyworld giving you some great recovery mixups(the odd asymmetric top platform can be good for uairs but it's a bit too high up for my liking), but WW is where it's at.

I've heard plenty of Sonic's say that Green Hill is great for the hedgehog, but I hate it. Thoughts?
Well I believe you should go to stages you feel comfortable with regarding your playstyle. For example, a couple Sonic's say PS2 isn't good for Sonic, however it seems to be suiting me well whenever I play there.

Tryst

Smash Ace
NNID
Skolar
3DS FC
2750-1644-8369
Omigoodness. My Favorite stage ever. I seem to rather enjoy flat flat stages while not liking the platforms as much, even though I still like em, just not as much. I just feel a flat stage really fits my playstyle. :D

GabPR

Smash Lord
My playstyle revolves around having enough space to be able to move around, and with those regards I hate small stages like green hill and Yoshis, while loving stages like PS2 and dreamland. Also, since Sonic has a flat out beast recovery (If not the best) in comparison with other characters. bigger stages mean bigger chances of you surviving and your oponent not making it (character dependant)

TwicH

Smash Apprentice
I prefer big stages for Sonic because I like to have a lot of space.

FD and PS2 are my favorites.

Halberd would be a great CP. He can get early kills with his up air due to having a low ceiling. I don't think it's allowed however...

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Big stages would be amazing if Sonic could kill.
Final Destination has a pretty good size to it, but stages like PS2 are a little excessive and kinda trade off earlier killing power vs. movement speed.

:applejack:

Tryst

Smash Ace
NNID
Skolar
3DS FC
2750-1644-8369
Sonic can't kill well on PS2?
I can't get him the kill power on most big levels. The best I can do on those is attempt those amazing meteors which I am getting pretty good at. :D Other than that it seems to take me too long for my liking to grind my opponents down to around 150%-ish.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Gimps are fine and all, but you'll be getting those less often the higher up the player ladder you climb.
Stages will start to matter much more at that point. :applejack:

Angry Drunk Chav

Smash Cadet
Sorry, it's probably here somewhere, but how do i ledghehog with the hedgehog efficiently?

I've seen people spindash off the edge to guard but i can't seem to get it?

GabPR

Smash Lord
if it is not too much trouble, could some of my fellow Sonic peers critique the tournament matches I posted on the video thread? I am constantly looking to improve my play, and having an outside view may help me achieve this.

RyanEvi

Smash Cadet
NNID
RyanEvi
can someone tell me how when sonic is off the stage and they instantly grab the edge of the stage? How do you pull this off, is it a side-b or a down-b into it?
if you can tell me how to do it, it would be a great help

GabPR

Smash Lord
YOU SIDE-B INTO IT, ITS EASIER TO PULL OF BY RUNNING OF THE STAGE AND HOLDING SIDE B INTO THE DIRECTION OF THE LEDGE, JUST TAPPING SIDE B USUALLY SENDS YOU DIRECTLY DOWN.

RyanEvi

Smash Cadet
NNID
RyanEvi
YOU SIDE-B INTO IT, ITS EASIER TO PULL OF BY RUNNING OF THE STAGE AND HOLDING SIDE B INTO THE DIRECTION OF THE LEDGE, JUST TAPPING SIDE B USUALLY SENDS YOU DIRECTLY DOWN.
Thank you, i've been wondering how to do this for a while now. Again many thanks.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Sonic's uair kinda sorta beat pretty much anything in Brawl that challenged it. Not surprised that it can do the same thing here. :applejack:

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
Sonic's Uair is amazing. It does a solid amount of damage, has great knockback (it kills!), and can go head-to-head with almost any dair in the game. It's a top tier move.

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
As far as stages go, I think that Sonic excels on small stages, because he applies pressure really well. His KO power isn't the best, so a big stage hinders him in that regard as well. Exactly how small you want to go is up to personal preference. Yoshi's, WW, and FoD are too small for me as Sonic. I like a little more room to run, so I tend to go for Smashville and Green Hill.

Top Bottom