• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic General Discussion/Social thread

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
In my experience, the Sonic who spins in the right place at the right time first wins. Sonic can't handle his own pressure, and he can't punish wiffed spin attacks very well either.
That, plus whoever has a better punish game.

MU can feel kind of dumb when u both constantly hit each other with the same move (down b)

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
I feel like sonic dittos are kind of stupid all because of homing attack and down b trades

Last edited:

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
I Would kind of compare sonic dittos to Falcon,Falco,Fox Dittos you need Momentum

Last edited:

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
You know, in 3.0 the changelist stated that Sonic would no longer double-jump out of Spin Jump if you used C-stick up, and I never checked this/don't remember if this was true, but in 3.02 Sonic will double jump if you C-stick up during Spin Jump.

I hope this gets fixed... again?

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
You know, in 3.0 the changelist stated that Sonic would no longer double-jump out of Spin Jump if you used C-stick up, and I never checked this/don't remember if this was true, but in 3.02 Sonic will double jump if you C-stick up during Spin Jump.

I hope this gets fixed... again?
I Think its fixed because when i tried t just now i still had a double jump

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
I Think its fixed because when i tried t just now i still had a double jump
Well that's not exactly what I'm saying. The idea here is that if you use Down-B on the ground and jump and press C-stick during it, Sonic will jump instead of performing a uair out of the move. I believe this still happens if you simply press up during it as well, despite tap-jump off. It's a very odd mechanic, and gets in the way more often than not.

Last edited:

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
Well that's not exactly what I'm saying. The idea here is that if you use Down-B on the ground and jump and press C-stick during it, Sonic will jump instead of performing a uair out of the move. I believe this still happens if you simply press up during it as well, despite tap-jump off. It's a very odd mechanic, and gets in the way more often than not.
Oh I Understand more clearly than yes it still works its weird though

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I think this is a bug or a mix of multiple elements of the engine. I tested this out and sometimes sonic would do the u-air and sometimes do the DJ, it made no sense and there was no consistency in one of them happening so I hope it gets fixed to just one, preferably u-air.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Yeah I've been put in bad positions because I went for the Uair and got the DJ, turning my positional advantage into a disadvantage because something isn't working right. I'm sure this was an oversight because it clearly says in the 3.0 changelog that this has previously been fixed. You can get around this somewhat by holding a jump command during the entirety of the move, but with frames on the line and making some split second decisions, the difference between letting go and re-hitting jump or deciding on a uair can be the deciding factor when really you're just dealing with an overlooked bug is huge.

2fast

Smash Journeyman
Sonic's I need some help again with a MU. What the heck do we have on Mario? That man has a good projectile, is hard to combo, and it feels hard to land a kill move. I fought Updog, a Mario in my region, and it went to game 3 last hit. Constant pill usage, I couldn't land a solid kill move, and I couldn't punish jab to downsmash on my shield reliably. It felt like 2.6 Sonic all over again. Once Mario hits a high enough percentage (140 or so) he can di upgrab so I can't follow up with a kill move. Down-b to nair wasn't landing either once he hit a high enough percentage. I fought M2K as well and at first I thought I would have a chance because I thought he would pick Fox but once he slid that cursor over to Mario I knew it was over, that match got streamed to and I just got bopped.

Btw I played Mapmark in tourney off stream, man Sonic dittos are fraudulent lol.

And about the ctick up thing out of a spin jump. I found if I actually go for a uair using up + a then I always get the uair. Maybe it has something to do with me playing with tap jump which allows me to always get it using up + a but that seems counter intuitive since tap jump is on.

Last edited:

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Go Link.

Against Mario is a difficult matchup, but if you keep to 45 degrees above him and bait out a reaction, using side-b to escape if Mario doesn't do anything that you can find punishable. I generally look to utilt firepills from a far distance, or go for footdive falls to cancel them out(shorthop dair repeatedly and without mercy. L_Cancel everything or get bodied). Sonic has some good stuff against Mario, but that's really if you nail him off stage, where you can make use of your varied option to take him down for good.

I hope to be playing our resident Mario's next weekend, L_Cancel and Zinoto, so I'll try to give more info then, but otherwise if you sense a cape, go for a homing attack and watch yourself fly. Between dair and your specials, you should always be able to come home against Mario if you're above him. If you're below,... eh, well, start planning your next stock.

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
Go Link.

Against Mario is a difficult matchup, but if you keep to 45 degrees above him and bait out a reaction, using side-b to escape if Mario doesn't do anything that you can find punishable. I generally look to utilt firepills from a far distance, or go for footdive falls to cancel them out(shorthop dair repeatedly and without mercy. L_Cancel everything or get bodied). Sonic has some good stuff against Mario, but that's really if you nail him off stage, where you can make use of your varied option to take him down for good.

I hope to be playing our resident Mario's next weekend, L_Cancel and Zinoto, so I'll try to give more info then, but otherwise if you sense a cape, go for a homing attack and watch yourself fly. Between dair and your specials, you should always be able to come home against Mario if you're above him. If you're below,... eh, well, start planning your next stock.
I think I will play at least a Mario this Summer time to learn the match up

2fast

Smash Journeyman
Go Link.

Dang, glad to know it wasn't just me sucking at that particular MU and it's actually just legit hard for Sonic on stage. I've fought Squeak and Plank on multiple occasions in tournament, both of which play MK, and I know MK is supposed to be a hard MU and all but Mario felt a whole lot tougher with moves that cut through all of my balls and the added bonus of a great projectile. Maybe when I fight an MK of Plups caliber I'll discover how bad that MU can be x.x

LAYHR

Smash Rookie
I was watching a video of sonic and I saw him grab the edge using a dash attack or side b? Can someone tell me how to do this?

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
For pit's arrows, you can just spin dash under them. If he angles them down towards you, you could get hit but spin dash is so fast that it's hard for pit to consistenly hit you if your not predicable when you down b.

GabPR

Smash Lord
It can be used defensively to get back on stage from the alternative of getting free arrows to the face. On the ground its better to power shield ofc, but there are the posibilities of situations in which a pit throwing an arrow too close to you can throw the nair as a way to approach. Of course these are situational.

TwicH

Smash Apprentice
I don't know too much about the Pit MU but usually I try motivate him to use arrows by spacing so I can go for a quick Down-B if I see him bring out that bow. Off stage however... You just need to be good at gimping. He shouldn't be able to recover if you can hit Pit with at least one Dair or Fair. Thank goodness they nerfed his recovery. I forget this though: Can Pit use another Side-B if he gets hit out of it?

GabPR

Smash Lord
nope, he has to grab the ledge or land on the ground. On another topic... has anyone considered the posibility of using dair sweetspot as a combo extender on low percents with up throw (usually easier for me with a quick double jump for positioning) and in some cases after side b? Since the.sweet spot works like a spike similar to falco and marths dair, opponents are sorta stunned to the ground when they.get hit (I believe this can be done below.50 percent). I believe this permits a free smash, another grab or side b . Any thoughts?

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
Sonic's nair also go through Mario's pills/fireballs which makes the match up a little easier but the Match up is still in Mario's favor

Top Bottom