• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Someone needs to make a book

MuttonBasher

Smash Apprentice
Seriously, with all the ATs, strategies, matchup charts, etc. for each character, somebody could make a pretty penny or more. I'm tired of having to go back and forth b/t the game and my computer reading all this stuff. The guides sold in stores aren't worth a crap. I'd pay $25 for one! Who wants to be rich? :)

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I've actually thought of this before. Smashboards should make a competitive guide to Smash Bros. SBR members would clean up all the information the community has gathered in Tactical Discussion and the Character Boards, then hire people to take screenshots.

However, I doubt it would happen. Legal issues ftl.

TP

Smash Master
By the time it was actually published, it would be very outdated. They could possibly make one for Melee, since the metagame for Melee is pretty sluggish now, but it would have a much smaller audience.

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
Just make your own makeshift book.

It's not that hard right? Name of technique, how to do it, expected results if you did it correctly, potential applications. That's all you need..

XienZo

Smash Lord
Just make your own makeshift book.

It's not that hard right? Name of technique, how to do it, expected results if you did it correctly, potential applications. That's all you need..
Except if you made it, you wouldn't need it anymore...

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
^ I did that months ago. I never read past the first page. =P

But really, I don't see how a book would be better then using the search function and finding your characters techniques really fast.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I'm working on it, go and look in the Creative Minds section and look for my story in the making.

I promise when I finish it, it will look prettier and more well-done.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
A book could cover some techniques but not all of them. Some are just best demonstrated with videos.

For everything else, a book would be hawt. I'd help make one. :p

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
It needs to be formatted for a book. Saying "here is the thread with all the info" is inadequate for making a book. It needs to be organized in a logical manner (indexed using page numbers) and presented in a more down-to-earth way.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
It needs to be formatted for a book. Saying "here is the thread with all the info" is inadequate for making a book. It needs to be organized in a logical manner (indexed using page numbers) and presented in a more down-to-earth way.
but would a book even be necessary with tools such as youtube and SWF itself at your disposal? It wouldn't even be as fast seeing as most people are always logged on their computers and ctrl+F is faster than a table of contents or index

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
but would a book even be necessary with tools such as youtube and SWF itself at your disposal? It wouldn't even be as fast seeing as most people are always logged on their computers and ctrl+F is faster than a table of contents or index
That's exactly my point. A book would need to be organized into a tool that you can have handy while you are actually playing the game. Otherwise, it has no point. Like you said, if you're going to actually sit down and do research (before attempting it in the actual game), having a book is pointless.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
That's exactly my point. A book would need to be organized into a tool that you can have handy while you are actually playing the game. Otherwise, it has no point. Like you said, if you're going to actually sit down and do research (before attempting it in the actual game), having a book is pointless.
k, gotcha, and I think the tool you're referring to is a laptop :p

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
k, gotcha, and I think the tool you're referring to is a laptop :p
No way. I own a nice small laptop, but I hate trying to read off it while doing something in the game. Watching videos is great, but reading is bad news. I'd take a book any day.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
No way. I own a nice small laptop, but I hate trying to read off it while doing something in the game. Watching videos is great, but reading is bad news. I'd take a book any day.
personal preference, either way, we're pretty much agreed on the fact that a book is limited in this subject, right?

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I do think that there should at least be a nicely formatted PDF somewhere (even if the text was generally unchanged). vBulletin threads are stupid.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
I do think that there should at least be a nicely formatted PDF somewhere (even if the text was generally unchanged). vBulletin threads are stupid.
I agree, maybe in my spare time one day I'll do it and post a download link here

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
LOL! I've already expressed my personal interest in a hawt PDF. Wanna work on one together?

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Newsflash: This is precisely one of the Smash Lab's major functions. Probably the biggest reason why it was created.
They will be gathering information, but they won't be publishing in hawt BuzzPDF format.

Lord Yawgmoth

Smash Apprentice
True that.

And it would make such a nice gift for gamers that 'play competitively' but you can't quite get to come on smashboards. (Hell, make sure to shoutout to smashboards often in the book)

Best present ever?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I think what we could do is if we got many authors, we could essentially have a book with different users having the ability to edit different sections. Essentially, it would have a guide to all AT's, guides for every character, matchups and metagame and all that. And each person could edit and update each area that they are dealing with.

Lord Yawgmoth

Smash Apprentice
I think what we could do is if we got many authors, we could essentially have a book with different users having the ability to edit different sections. Essentially, it would have a guide to all AT's, guides for every character, matchups and metagame and all that. And each person could edit and update each area that they are dealing with.
lol,
someday that could happen.....

.....someday.....

;)

(I would still totally buy the book to give to people as a means to get them into competitive smash)

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
In contrast to what I said earlier, if someone wants to just study tons of techniques in one long sitting, a book would be nice since reading a book for a long time is far less strenuous than reading a screen.

Top Bottom