• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Somehow get project m more publicity? Is there a way?

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Let me be the first to say that 60,000+ downloads is by no means a small feat. However, their is probably another 60,000+ who would download this mod as well, but this game is greatly overshadowed my Starcraft2, League of legends, DOTA, counter strike, Halo, ect. And the fact that it is a mod drives away a lot of people. And people who have never played competitive smash view it as a complete joke. Being only available on the wii and wii U doesn't help either. It seems that the odds are completly against this mod, but I think there are still thousands of people who would enjoy this mod but haven't downloaded it because 1)they don't think smash can be competitive 2) they have never heard of it 3) they are afraid it will brick their wii 4) bad first impressions 5) They are traditional fighter game **** who state that smash bros will never be a fighting game because it is different, therefore making it suck(I seriously hate these douche bags). My question is does anyone have any idea on how they would get more people to play smash competitively? P.S. I'm not some 40 year old no life who spends his time in his moms basement following competitive gaming, I wouldn't mind if project m didn't get more publicity I'm just wondering if it is possible. Nuff Nuff Jiggly puff nuff salad 1v1 bub me love you long time #yolo

Astraea31

Smash Apprentice
1) is a mod

2) the pmbr aren't multi-billionaires, so they can't get a PM ad on the superbowl or PM action figures in kids meals

foshio

Smash Journeyman
I honestly just suggest it to all of my friends. Even ones that don't play smash competitively. I sorta wish (not really) I didnt move to Asia because I had primed acouple of people and would probably have gotten them into the competitive scene. Oh well.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
Here's a few ideas:
1.Find a place where there's a lot of random people you can send messages to (for example, check out Nintendo's page on Facebook and check out the status where they asked people what their favorite character in Smash was - there were thousands of people who liked and/or commented about it. It wouldn't take too long to send messages to each of them)
2.Put up fliers. Might sound cheesy, but it's also incredibly easy to do. Just print out a bunch of fliers and post them up at places you go to. Malls, libraries, wherever.
3.Advertise by putting a link in your signature if you use another other forum-based websites. Users frequently can reliven the work of the creators, so if you haven't seen the work of other popular games made into mods, check out Zelda's Birthday, Mario Star Road or Goldeneye Vault (website). Pretty impressive stuff.
4.Community! Try and get your friends to play with you, or if you have friends who already play, then try to expand that group!

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
i've always thought that making a video where you show the difference between vbrawl and PM would be superb, plus quickly showing a cuople of awesome combos which would not be doable in vbrawl would do wonders.

other ideas would be like convincing big youtube names to play the game, thus getting spotlight, imagine if the two best friends play series played the game, hopefully they didn't like brawl (thats if they even played it) and get into PM (i can dream) either way it could help. The other thing would to just try to spread it through other forums, if they get intrested then i would drop any combo vid.

The only problem that i see right now is basically it's still a demo, the offical first version of the mod hasn't been completed, and since the PMBR need the metagame to flesh out for a while to be able to collect data for design choices and balance in general, the next two demos are gonna take a good amount of time (and thats not counting any wizardery that they are doing apart from characters). In that time, unless you go to tournies, you will probably get bored and/or keep on playing melee/any other game. I personally only play PM when theres some new texture or when i make a song for the game or when my bro wants to play, other than that i continue playing melee, and there's still tons of melee players that still can't dive into it for some minor reasons, i personally, when PM is finished and feels exactly like melee, i will completly drop melee for PM, since at that moment PM has everything that melee has but with the brawl inclusions. enough rant, what i wanna say is we needmore coverage in general, we need more people posting cool combo vids, etc etc. to get people into the game and the scene in general

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
Game Grumps had a pretty entertaining series of Brawl videos, it would be huge if they tried doing a PM video. They both criticized the mechanics of Brawl so I'm sure they'd be at least mildly interested in it if they don't already know about it, but they're far too popular to take requests from random people. Maybe if someone asked them about it at a con or something, at least we'd find out what they know/think of it.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Can somebody get back in contact with Rich and IGN? It looks like we completely lost them after Demo 2.0.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
We're still in contact with him. Nothing pressing has come up, though.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Currently I've got an idea brewing for a video in the style of Totalbiscuit's "WTFis" series, which were always great for generating publicity for the games he covered. Basically it's an "assume no viewer knowledge on this subject" approach where we could explain exactly what made Melee great and unique, and by extension why somebody would want to play Project M. We'd then go on to explain exactly how to install Project M on an SD card and get started.

I've started writing some stuff for it when I've had time to bother. I guess this is as good a place as any to share it. We'd of course want some illustrations consisting of staged stuff explicitly for this purpose as well as examples from some famous tournament videos for maximum hype. Unfortunately I have no experience actually putting together videos in the slightest, so I would need help from others in the community. Any volunteers?

Some stuff... Not the introduction, but the beginning of the digression into Melee:

Before we get into too much Project M itself though, it will help to have some background on the Super Smash Bros series. Project M's existence is a result of developments within that series that newcomers will not understand. Many of you will be wondering why anyone would want to play a mod that does not, on the surface, appear much different from the original. The answer to this question, though, is an amazingly complex issue that I can only hope to communicate adequately in the short time I will spend on it.​
Many of you will have played a Smash game before. The series is of course very popular as a fun diversion among Nintendo fans especially, but what many folks may not have realized is that amidst all the chaotic explosions and colorful palette can be found an intense and rewarding competitive game, capable of drawing large crowds, even across international borders.​
The second installment in the series, Super Smash Bros Melee-- usually referred to as simply "Melee--" is beloved by many for its blistering speed and the feats of technical skill that are both possible and applicable within it. As both speed and technical skill can be found in many other games, I'll not dwell too much on those but instead discuss some things that are wholly unique to Melee. These, I feel, are the real reasons someone who has never played high-level Smash before might be interested in giving it a shot; they are the things that are great that you won't find anywhere else.
In the interest of brevity I will talk about three major gameplay elements only, so know that there is a whole lot more to this game than I'll cover here.
A bit about Melee's combos, which are one of the "three major gameplay elements" the video would talk about:

Fighting game players are familiar with the term "combo," referring to a string of moves that are absolutely guaranteed to hit your opponent once the first hit connects. In a true combo, the opponent is incapable of responding in any meaningful way.​
Not being a traditional fighting game in any sense of the word, Melee has very few combos by this definition. Instead, most of the attacks in melee cause your opponent to move somewhere that is not completely predictable. Your opponent is capable of changing the direction he will move slightly each time he is hit. This is commonly known as "Directional Influence" or "DI" by Smash players.​
You can use DI to make your opponent's job much more difficult, but make no mistake: DI does not guarantee your escape. In Melee, your opponent is often capable of adjusting his combo on the fly as a response to your DI. Against a strong player, certain DI paths can even put you in an even worse situation than if you hadn't used any DI at all!​
In addition to these "DI-chasing" combos, Melee also has a very interesting set of mechanics that results from the relatively common "tumble" animation that follows most hits. When a character hits the ground during this animation, they have a limited number of options for standing up, all of which leave them vulnerable to subsequent hits.​
Clicking a shoulder button with proper timing as you hit the ground will cause you to perform a handspring maneuver to recover your footing. Smashers refer to this maneuver as a "tech." When you perform a tech, you can hold left to roll left, right to roll right, or input no direction at all to tech in place. All three of these options are followed by a significant amount of downtime where your character can do nothing at all. Failing to perform a tech, intentionally or because you missed the timing, causes your character to bounce off the ground briefly, then fall prone. During this bounce you are vulnerable, but after it you actually have few more options than if you had teched. Once lying prone you can, at any time, simply stand up, roll left, roll right, or perform a get-up attack. Again, however, each of these options is followed by downtime that a strong player can exploit in order to continue hitting you.​
Forcing your opponent into the ground and then correctly responding to the manner in which they stand up is called "techchasing," and it can be every bit as deadly as keeping your opponent in the air.​
Because of DI and "techchasing" mechanics, Melee's combos are not simply a test of one player's ability to execute a rote series of inputs. They are a branching interaction between one player's use of DI and tech paths, and the other player's ability to react to them in order to keep the combo going. Combined with positional play through platforms and other stage elements, along with knockback that changes with how much damage your opponent has taken, these interactions produce an immense amount of variety and reward creativity from players. Every once in a while, when two very strong players are pitted against one another, you get to see things that nobody has ever seen before, even 10 years after Melee's release.
The other two "major gameplay elements" will be edgegames and shield mechanics, which I've not written yet... Later it will go on to explain how Nintendo, in the interest of protecting new players from getting trounced, deliberately removed or drastically altered all three of these great gameplay elements, producing a game that, although some enjoy it very much, is not at all what drew many of Melee's most passionate competitors.

Project M is an attempt by those passionate competitors to effectively update Melee by modding Brawl. Melee is a game that, while great, is far from perfect, and can be improved, and bringing a bunch of new characters, stages, and other neat things from Brawl won't hurt either.

The goal is to create *the* definitive smash game for competitive-minded players, and anybody interested at all in competitive smash can't possibly go wrong in giving it a shot.

Jandlebars

Still fallin'!
Game Grumps had a pretty entertaining series of Brawl videos, it would be huge if they tried doing a PM video. They both criticized the mechanics of Brawl so I'm sure they'd be at least mildly interested in it if they don't already know about it, but they're far too popular to take requests from random people. Maybe if someone asked them about it at a con or something, at least we'd find out what they know/think of it.
I watch the show almost religously, and while I think there's a possibility it might interest them, it would need to reach their ears in just the right way.
In terms of just introducing others to the mod, it could do some good, but neither of them really play the game at much of a competitive level at all (Egoraptor himself, while being fairly successful at some tournaments, isn't even really aware of why Meta-Knight is such a god-like character >__>).

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
I watch the show almost religously, and while I think there's a possibility it might interest them, it would need to reach their ears in just the right way.
In terms of just introducing others to the mod, it could do some good, but neither of them really play the game at much of a competitive level at all (Egoraptor himself, while being fairly successful at some tournaments, isn't even really aware of why Meta-Knight is such a god-like character >__>).
They don't really need to. They're sympathetic to the competitive scene even if they aren't necessarily part of it, and that's good enough to be honest.

You know what, I might even mail them an SD card with PM on it and a brief note explaining what it is and stuff. They play games people send them all the time, so this shouldn't be any different.

Jandlebars

Still fallin'!
They don't really need to. They're sympathetic to the competitive scene even if they aren't necessarily part of it, and that's good enough to be honest.

You know what, I might even mail them an SD card with PM on it and a brief note explaining what it is and stuff. They play games people send them all the time, so this shouldn't be any different.
You have a point there.

That actually sounds like a pretty good idea, since they do get most of the games sent to them by mail (which...you probably already know, anyway >__>'). Considering how much stuff they get sent, it'll definitely take them a while to get around to it, but as long as they have it I don't see why they wouldn't play it.
Good thinking. :D

a vehicle

Smash Apprentice
First of all you gotta realize that melee was pretty big and that brawl was even bigger. So there's plenty of interest in these game series out there, dismissing casual players as a possible target because they might find the game hard is flat wrong.
Every single friend I've shown this mod to ends up loving it (so far I've gotten 8 people to play it regularly) and they're not exactly M2K if you know what i'm talking about. Even my sister started playing and now her friends too
Everything about this game is appealing to brawl's and melee's audience:
1.- The balance is the main reason IMO, the fact that everyone can play their favourite character without falling behing really encourages people to play the game, also as the whole viable character spectrum becomes wider so does your mains options.
2.- You can play it as a casual player or as a pro and have the same amount of fun.
3.- The game is a lot more fair and not just because of character balance, character design is a lot better and there aren't broken mechanics anymore. Keeps you at it without crying "Screw this game!"
4.- Hype
I could talk about this all day, but I'm sure than all of you here know that P:M is the logical step up from melee.
I really dig the Game Grumps idea, both Jon and Arin are really into good game design choices, they could be briefed by some of P:Ms mods into the game for them to play it, even if they make fun of it they're gonna love it (and I'm sure about that) and even if they really suck at it (because they do... it's painful to watch them play brawl) it's the best way to gain an audience.
Getting a bigger audience leads to sponsors and a lot more.
Just take a look behind the history of DotA, the warcraft 3 mod that got so big that eventually a major video game company (valve) hired the creator to really make it the way it should have been all along.

B.W.

Smash Champion
My girlfriend and I thought about this once.

Want them to play a bunch? Send them an SD card with Project: M full hackless on and a letter with some information stating what the game is (and also explain why not every character is in it yet).

On the note include some instructions on how to set it up.

If enough people sent it in they'd probably play it, then lots of people would learn about it.

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
Just dropping in to say that competitive types are definitely not the only ones who like P:M. I'd consider myself to be somewhere in the middle ranges of the "casual" spectrum, and most of you could probably four-stock me without too much effort, but I still prefer P:M to vBrawl. The physics feel much better, and I agree with most of the character changes, and honestly that's probably enough for a lot of people. Just a first-hand account of something you already know.

a vehicle

Smash Apprentice
Just a first-hand account of something you already know.
Not a lot of people know that.
Most P:M players think that the game is good only because it offers a more fair competitive scenario
In order to like P:M you don't have to be reminded that melee is old or that vBrawl sucks.
It's just a better game overall, and its basically what it aims to be: the perfect smash game among the smash series.

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
Just dropping in to say that competitive types are definitely not the only ones who like P:M. I'd consider myself to be somewhere in the middle ranges of the "casual" spectrum, and most of you could probably four-stock me without too much effort, but I still prefer P:M to vBrawl. The physics feel much better, and I agree with most of the character changes, and honestly that's probably enough for a lot of people. Just a first-hand account of something you already know.
I can confirm this. Casual friends I have recommended this to have enjoyed it just as much as I have. They enjoy the freshness of the characters and the new speed the game has to offer, along with the return of a lot of the good stages from melee and 64 (fourside, saffron city, Hyrule castle, etc).

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
The best thing to interest people is additional content, I hacked brawl before P:M existed, and the one thing that got some people interested who aren't even frequent ssb players, was the new content like multiple new stages, costumes and all that, also having extremely popular characters like Goku and Shadow the Hedgehog put in lol

If it's possible to add new stages with gecko, it should be done, and the clone engine would increase the popularity immensely, bringing back Mewtwo and Roy, though to really make it popular, they'd need to add an entirely new character, the best bet would be someone who's very popular in one of the franchises already displayed in Brawl, can somewhat be based on another character's moveset(semi-clone to reduce the workload of a completely new character), I think Shadow fits that bill the best, and he's already an AT so the purists can't ***** so much

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
PM won't add any characters unless they can do it without removing a character. The current development of the clone engine is nowhere near a stable build, so we can't expect that to be done by the time Project M hits v1.0. New stages are a good bet because there are so many stages to be replaced, and there are blank stage spots that can be filled before any of them need to be replaced. More stages like Dracula's castle and Hyrule Castle are good ways to get players, but it seems like the main thing that gets people is Character changes.

I can tell you right now that the team will NOT add (insert sonic/anime/cult character here) even if there WAS a working clone engine. There is a certain level of professionality that is lost once you start adding in fan characters. It attracts the wrong type of crowd (people who like to say "If you added Goku, why didn't you add MY favourite anime character?) and it just isn't worth the trouble.

Stages are a different story. They are locations and can usually be imported into brawl fairly well, even if it's just as a background setting for a platform assortment. They still attract people (If the tower of salvation stage was in Project M I would have known about it A LOT sooner), but not the same crowd as the people you would get with characters. On top of that, Character models from other games stand out, even the brawl assist trophies look different.

Top Bottom