• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some thoughts about balance in Brawl

SockNinja

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know of an article I wrote about balance in brawl, specifically about DDD's chaingrab. I didn't want to just copy paste it here, so check it out and come back and let me know what you think.

The First Priority

let's get a discussion going!

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
The article is sarcastic, right?
Sorry, this is the internet, I really can't tell.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
If you are going to go through the trouble of monitoring D3's chaingrab (which would be an utter hassle when their is multiple D3s) you might as well ban him (which is stupid since he's not centralizing the game around himself). And D3 loses alot of his strength without his CG.

And as for items, their is no real reason on why SOME items can't be used for tournys (the better player will still win). But the fact is most of the Smash community HATES items in serious play. Item play will NEVER be the standard because most people hate playing with them.

Woozle

Smash Journeyman
I think there might be a thread about this particular DDD problem.

As far as applying it to infinites, I think you may have injected bias in some places where you really needed to avoid it.

So which do they pick? Number 3. WHY!?!?! Did they not think about this? For even 10 seconds? If you don't agree with me off the bat that option 2 straight up blows option 3 out of the water, let me highlight one very important point. The ONLY downside to option 2 can be completely nullified by good management. Option 3 on the other hand? Sorry, those stages are gone, and who knows what character is going to start dominating on whatever is left over. I've thought about this a while and my only conclusion is this: Smash players are terribly frightened of all the cool things about the game they play.
I don't think you can speak for all tournaments or TOs, either.

I know in the NE they tend to ban "infinites", especially NY and the area.

Just my 2sense.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
The picture of the wang completely made me not want to read it anymore, I cannot take it serious.

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
I'd be willing to put money on the fact that the OP has never been to a tournament.

No one forces you to play with SBR rules. Host your own tournies with FFA 75m-only high-item time-matches if you want it so badly.

SmashCentralOfficial

Voice of SmashCentralOfficial
I sort of like what the article has to say, but if you made it a little more serious instead of throwing colloquialisms and pictures of genetalia and such, you'd get much better reviews.

I do agree that banning the CG is a better idea than banning the stages, but I think that the best idea is to leave everything be.

Sure you could just limit it to something like 3 grabs and then you have to F/B/U throw, but aside from that the best idea would be to just leave the character as it is.

Everyone's always trying to ban stuff and fix things and put rules on everything in order to make this game better competitively. The fact of the matter is that Melee wasn't supposed to be competitive, but it had great aspects which allowed it to be so. With Brawl on the otherhand, the creators were able to look at everything in Melee that was overseen by them which turned it into a skill-demanding, competitive game, and did everything they could to try and prevent that.

Although I find Brawl super fun, and I enjoy it a lot, it's a pretty broken game.

:026: -SUP3RCANS1R

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
This article is pretty lame if only because you seem to be ranting and raving and whining and such. Which would be just fine if you weren't trying to convince people that your opinion is right and we should adapt to that.

You either need to be a debater or Yahtzee. There is no third direction.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Yay, let's rip some poor dude apart for trying to right an article! There ARE poeple like me out there....

LOL but MK is the one winning all the tourneys!

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
did this guy just tell us that items and more stages would make the game more BALANCED, of all things? i really, really hope you were being sarcastic >_>.

Titanium Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I'm going to explain something very simple to you:

If it requires a judge to be standing there, then there is a problem.

Its as simple as that.

Counting throw repititions is stupid and completely untenable, and in any event, people will simply switch to doing the maximum number of possible repititions.

The correct solution is to either 1) ban the character or 3) ban all stages where you can chaingrab someone off the edge/into a wall indefinitely.

2 is not an option. Period. Don't argue, you're wrong. You can never police the game this way, and even if you could, it would suck. Its a legal set of moves; if the moves are broken, then the correct thing to do is either ban the character or ban stages where it is broken. There are no other options.

Top Bottom