• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some new circus tricks!

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
At least...for me. I'm sorry I didn't bother to search b/c I had no clue what words to describe some of the things that I found out. Sorry if there's already a thread mentioning these. There's no AT or banana guide that I was able to see.

Anyways!, I found some things about the banana and some pretty cool edgeguarding techniques. I haven't ever seen these actually used in-game from all the videos I've been watching of the better players. I don't have any videos to show you guys these techs cuz I got nothin to record with, so bare with me. If they turn out to be new, cool. If not, just ignore the thread so it'll drop to the bottom of this subthread. If you like what you see, y'all can turn this whole thread into a Diddy edgeguarding guide if there isn't one already.

These were all performed on FD:

Trick 1- banana edge dropping
Y'all know about throwing banana's at the ground? (You can do it standing still, or you can just tap "z" to drop them.) Well you can also throw while you're running if you run and z+throw down. You'll slide across the stage a lil and the banana will stay behind. It's very situational. If you do a "z" banana throw downwards while running at the edge of the stage, the banana will actually drop off the stage as if you jumped and dropped it with "z". You have to be very close to the edge when you throw though, b/c if you don't it'll just stay on the edge. This can used to gimp a recovery or even gimp a player on the edge while he's hanging. Very good to know this if you don't already.

Trick 2-banana backthrow slide
not a very in depth one, but still notable. If you pivot and throw the banana at the right time, you'll slide and throw at once. Similiar to a DAC, but throwing a banana.

Now some edge game:

Trick 3- no name
Here's a trick that you can use to get a banana onto the stage from the edge without actually putting yourself into danger.
1.)You drop down from the ledge straight onto the wall that you can cling onto.
2.)jump off the wall, and with the right timing, you can downb to get a banana onto the stage. It could maybe come in handy for those peculiar moments when they're standing on the edge.(It's an option at least)

Trick 4-wall cling to hump spike
ok, you know you can cling to the wall. Now cling when your opponent is off the stage, and when they come back using their recovery or jumps, just fall off and immediately sideb. If you can time it right, you can get a free hump kill. If you decide your opponent will make it back safely without going from below, you can sideb and sweet spot the ledge. It can be used to edgehog or even to make a safe recovery for yourself if they''re edge guarding.

Trick 5- when you fall off the edge after hanging you can immediately use your upb to sweetspot the ledge to get more invincibility frames. If you fall off to the side and charge for about a milisecond you can sweetspot the ledge. If you don't charge, it won't sweet spot and you'll fly above the edge. Try it out.

Trick 6- banana guarding
Kinda lame name, but so what? You fall off the ledge from hanging and jump. As you jump, you use your downb to pull out a banana. press downb again to pull out another. If you do it quick enough, you can use your upb uncharged to get back. This can work to create a wall of bananas that can gimp recoveries.

Something else you can do is fall from the edge, jump up, downb, and with the right timing, you'll sweet spot the ledge with a banana behind you and falling.

Another option you have is to have a banana in your hand and hang. Drop down, jump, downb with right timing, and "z" to drop the banana in your hand. It can take care of an opponent that tries to "skip" over the banana you pulled out with the downb and the next banana could hit them.

You can mix up these options and make some pretty sick edgeguarding possibilities.
Tell me what you find!

Edit: also, I've been able to use sideb, latch onto an opponent when they're on the ground and when I don't do anything afterwards, I've been able to directly grab without having to move foward. Is this DI-outable? Is this common knowledge?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
How far do slide with the first trick?
Is the first part of the first trick new? I explained it to lead to my conclusion that it can be "dropped" off the stage. Anyways, it's not that much really-about ftilt range-really not too great, but still, if they're chasing you or something. idk.

Is the name of the thread offensive to anyone? I don't really like it's connotation anymore after thinking about it.

Cranberry Rogue

Smash Journeyman
Trick 5 was definitely useful. I never understood why I sometimes sweetspotted the edge while other times I went straight through it, so it's extremely helpful to know that I need to charge my Up B a tiny bit in order to snatch the ledge.

Thanks, dude! These are some cool tricks.

Top Bottom