• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some characters can escape combo at low %

KingKong_ad

Smash Ace
While messing with bowser, I found that some characters can escape combo from at low % by only mashing a move that have a landing hit, mostly Dairs, (Ex: Bowser dair, bowser jr. dair, toon link dair, etc..)

The reason I think it works its because the game considers the character getting comboed hitting the ground at the same time pressing dair. And since landing hit usually starts frame 1 ( I think), the combo is not possible since the landing hit is faster or trades with the next hit.

It might be hard understand mostly because Im bad at english but I have videos to show you.

Bowser https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkEE3Z9LyY0
Bowser Jr https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOgmgi9zenM

In this one I asked my brother to hold shield after dthrow, and bowser dair was still able to hit him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3rKFo0qK90

This is not super good but it can actually helps not getting comboed by certain char at low %. I tried with fox utilt and I was able to trade with his utilt and then stopping the combo. Sure, the opponent can shield in most occasion, but then it becomes a mix up instead of a combo.

Sorry if it was already discovered >.>

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I actually hadn't seen this before. For Bowser's case, it takes advantage of that vertical knockback quirk that makes his Dair not lift him up when used just out of hitstun. Very intuitive.

Looks like Mario and Dr. Mario can perform this as well. Which is great, since their Dairs don't get a lot of use.

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
I've done this plenty of times without meaning to, it seems it only works at very low percents though. Maybe I'll see if I can do it intentionally now...

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Add Yoshi, Pikachu, Mr. Game & Watch, Mii Swordsman and Kirby to the list of Dairs. Zero Suit and Shiek also have Dairs that work, as well as Falco's Fair. But the problem with these moves is that the landing hit won't be active until a much later frame of the attack. It also doesn't help that these three are fast fallers so they won't get as much air time. So, it can only work if they're at more of a mid to late percent, but by this point, they have other options like survival DI and quick aerials. And with Sheik and Zero suit, those landing hits don't extend very far horizontally.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
A long while ago, I was testing on-hit safety with Buster Shulk against characters, due to the nature of Monado Buster's reduced knockback making it unsafe at low percentages. Bowser for example seen here (excuse my format, it looks unorganized & gross) can make Shulk's moves very unsafe when he's using Dair. I didn't test other characters however, because I kinda gave up on it plus it was all done in Training Mode without the inclusion of factoring in Rage.

This is neat though. Gives characters a "get off me" tool.

Last edited:
Top Bottom